homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Ancient Geek-Computer myths and facts (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ancient Geek-Computer myths and facts
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
My father died this morning, and his last telephone message to Mum is still on the landline answerphone - but will only be saved for another 11 days after today.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - we did eventually record it.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Likely just age. Assuming the papyrus disintegrated on the original, here is a PDF instruction manual.

Thanks. The manual is bound to be somewhere, in a folder with others, but I can't get at my somewheres at the moment.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
My father died this morning, and his last telephone message to Mum is still on the landline answerphone - but will only be saved for another 11 days after today.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - we did eventually record it.

AG

I'm glad to read that.

[ 15. June 2017, 16:49: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have now found that other people have had the very same problem, and resolved it, BUT have not posted their solution on the internet. Bah humbug.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FYI & FWIW:

Happened across these Wed.

"Create a single file to protect yourself from the latest ransomware attack You can vaccinate your system in seconds from the Petya/NonPetya ransomware -- at least, for now." (ZDNet)

"Vaccine, not Killswitch, Found for Petya (NotPetya) Ransomware Outbreak" (Bleeping Computer).

Both articles are about a relatively simple, free way to prevent this ransomware virus. Bleeping Computer also has a vaccine file, here, that you can just download and install, if you prefer.

I went ahead and just downloaded the file. I scanned it with AVG and AdAware, since I'm not that familiar with the site, then installed it.

Per the articles, there's no way (yet) to save your computer if it gets this virus. But this "vaccine" is supposed to work, as long as the originators don't change the source code. The e-mail address for paying ransom has been blocked, so the miscreants aren't going to get paid.

YMMV. IMHO, read the articles before downloading the file.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use Comodo Internet Security Premium 10 on a Windows 8 PC. A pop-up appeared, headed 'Comodo Internet Security Essentials' with the text:

quote:

Updates for your Computer are available
Keep your computer protected against Man in the Middle (MitM) attacks.

We recommend that you install this update to stay protected from the latest threats and to ensure the best system performance.

The pop-up box includes buttons for [Update Now] and [Postpone]. There is no [Leave Me Alone and Don't Bother Me Again] option. For now, I am using the 'X' in the corner of the box to dismiss the popup.

The darn thing keeps coming back, like a toddler wanting attention. Unlike most toddlers (eventually), it does not appear to understand the word 'no'. There's a 'Remind me in ...[amount of time]' option, but it does not allow 'when the Devil goes to work on ice skates' as an answer.

I'm confused, because when I open Comodo Internet Security Premium 10 and tell it to update, it says that it is already up to date. This makes me suspicious. I'm a technical ignoramus, but at least I am a mean-spirited, suspicious-minded ignoramus. [Big Grin]

At my most paranoid, I wonder if this is malware trying to get me to install something nasty. In less paranoid moments, I wonder whether Comodo is trying to get me to install a browser extension and, if so, whether the advice I saw which warns against browser extensions is reliable. It could be something perfectly benign, of course - I should allow for the possibility that a software company is being honest and helpful.

Has anyone else had this popup? Can anyone advise me on (a) whether I should install this and (b) if not, how to prevent this popup from endlesslessy popping up? (Presumably, uninstalling Comodo would do it.)

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

My friend's Acer (Win 8.1) has decided it exists pre-Wifi, and insists there are no connections available. When I tried, it briefly showed the Wifi possibility by no connections, but then suggested using an ethernet cable, and would not show Wifi as an option. All the trouble shooting reported the network adapter was OK, but, no Wifi option however I went at it. Not in devices, not anywhere.

I assume this is a hardware connection problem, but if anyone has any other idea, it might be helpful.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The question that immediately pops into mind is: are there any active WiFi hotspots up and running? Are other devices able to connect to WiFi without trouble?

Alwyn, I've never heard of Comodo and so can't help you with your issue. However, again my gut reaction would be to click "Dismiss" rather than "X". But you're right in assuming, for safety's sake, that the nag message might be malicious. I think I would uninstall Comodo and either do a fresh install from the original media or go with a different product.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Didn't bother to mention the Wifi working since I was using it to send with. All the other computers are having no trouble with the router. I did use the button for making connections on the router, in case that helped, but it didn't.
I've just started up a new laptop and it has no trouble downloading and installing updates, either.
The initial error was that the computer had Wifi but there were no local connections - there are a number as well as mine. Then the computer's Wifi disappeared.

[ 10. July 2017, 13:47: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Penny S: if it's Win 8.x and the error message is "No Wireless Connections Available" and the WiFi appears totally borked, then the following may help.

This is a common problem on Win 8.x with Asus Transformer netbooks. The solution (read: temporary fix that you will need to do periodically when it borks again) is:

- from an Admin account* open Device Manager (Win+X, Device Manager)

- find the wireless adapter under Network Adapters

- right-click on it and choose "Disable" then confirm you mean it

- right-click on it again and choose "Enable"

Ta-da! Functional WiFi ...

Seems to be an issue with some drivers/hardware initialising properly, and it persists through reboots.

*If you're not signed in as an Admin, then:

- Win+X > "Command Prompt (Admin)"
- supply credentials
- Type "devmgmt.msc" and press enter

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

TaDa indeed, and Hallelujah.

It isn't the netbook, but the process has worked, which is great because it is the only machine currently able to log on in a university environment where journals are available.

Thank muchly. I have written up the instructions and left them on the desktop for the user.

Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent, and apologies, I wasn't entirely clear. I learnt about this issue courtesy of a fleet of Asus jobbies that we manage for a client. So much so that we have it as a FAQ in their internal knowledgebase.

I had previously assumed it was an Asus/Broadcom issue, but knowing it's happened on an Acer makes me suspect it's a Win 8.x issue.

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

It was an Atheros device - forgotten all the details and I'm not on that machine. The name began with a Q, which I recall because the other fault is keys that resist pressure, and q is one of them.

If that helps with the database!

Snags
# 15351

All info gratefully received and filed [Smile]

--------------------

Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Alwyn, I've never heard of Comodo and so can't help you with your issue. However, again my gut reaction would be to click "Dismiss" rather than "X".

Thanks for replying! My instinct would have been to click 'dismiss' rather than X too, if a 'dismiss' option had been available. However, the only available options (apart from clicking on 'X') were to 'install now' and 'remind me to install later'(!)

quote:
But you're right in assuming, for safety's sake, that the nag message might be malicious. I think I would uninstall Comodo and either do a fresh install from the original media or go with a different product.

Thanks! If anyone has recommendations for antivirus software, I will read them with interest.

[ 14. July 2017, 13:18: Message edited by: Alwyn ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alwyn:
quote:
Alwyn, I've never heard of Comodo and so can't help you with your issue. However, again my gut reaction would be to click "Dismiss" rather than "X".

Thanks for replying! My instinct would have been to click 'dismiss' rather than X too, if a 'dismiss' option had been available. However, the only available options (apart from clicking on 'X') were to 'install now' and 'remind me to install later'(!)
Always click the x in the upper left corner of the border of the window of a dubious pop up. The x is generated by the operating system, the buttons within the window are generated by the suspect application and might not represent what they will actually do.
Though a better choice might be to right-click on the corresponding button on the task bar and click the Close Window option.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anti-virus software: AVG, and there's a free version.

Ad Aware is good for scanning for other kinds of malware, and blocking ads.

CCCleaner is good for cleaning and repairing.

IME, this is a good, safe place to get free software:

download.cnet.com or download.com. They both go to the same page.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used the paid version of AVG until a recent automatic update installed itself. After that, the AVG shield in the system tray displayed a yellow exclamation mark, which is supposed to mean that one or more components is malfunctioning. However, when I opened AVG, it told me that all components were up-to-date and functioning.

So I unintalled AVG and instead paid for and installed McAfee Total Protection v.14. It has behaved flawlessly so far.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Alwyn:
quote:

Always click the x in the upper left corner of the border of the window of a dubious pop up. The x is generated by the operating system, the buttons within the window are generated by the suspect application and might not represent what they will actually do.
Though a better choice might be to right-click on the corresponding button on the task bar and click the Close Window option.

[Hot and Hormonal] Should be upper right corner.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

Thanks for your help, lilBuddha, Golden Key and Amanda B. Reckonodwyth! (It's okay, lilBuddha,I realised that you meant 'upper right hand corner' - and will follow your advice when I see dubious pop-ups).

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Alwyn--

You're welcome. Also, it's a good idea to check around online for comments about and reviews of software before you download it. Your machine and/or problem may need something different. I've had mostly good experiences with the programs I mentioned. I had a lot of bad experiences with Norton/Symantec, Kadinsky, and some others. That's why I finally got AVG. It's not perfect, and some things annoy me, but it's much better than what I had before.

Good luck! [Smile]

ETA: Oh, and if you have more than one anti-virus program on your system, don't run both at the same time. They can clash badly. And sometimes one will interpret the other progam's files as viruses. You can usually tell the checking program that they're not viruses, and to skip them next time.

[ 16. July 2017, 10:36: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of times recently I've tried to open a French-language site and my browser has forced it to the English-language version.

Just now, I persevered a bit on one site. Clicking on the French-language flag on the site doesn't work. Hard-coding the URL to remove the /en tag doesn't work. Different browsers and devices don't work. Posting the link in Skype reveals a little "en" above the URL itself in the thumbnail image.

Of course now I've got round to posting here the site has started behaving itself for me. Could that be some sort of DOS/server overload countermeasure (the URL, http://www.cglpl.fr/, was on a news site)?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

In Control Panel, under Clock, Location and Region, try changing Location to France.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, I don't think that's it: my devices all seem to know where I am.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is strange. I just turned on my computer, and everything has a red tint to it. Some things are completely red (such as most of the Ship). Is this a monitor calibration problem? Will I need to replace my computer? Have the Russians taken over my computer? (I tried shutting down and restarting, but it's still red.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shut down completely. I just turned it back on to print something out that I needed and was afraid I might be losing my monitor completely. It's back to normal. For now.
[Confused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Could be a loose or damaged monitor cable -- or, as you fear, the monitor could have one foot in the grave.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a quick Google. It looks like it could easily be a hardware problem of a minor sort, perhaps even something in a cable. To speak crudely and ignorantly, you have some physical thingy that controls the color balance on your monitor, and one of the parts has gone wonky, causing the color balance to shift red. If it's in the process of failing, you may see it shift back and forth several times before it dies totally. I'd suggest Googling yourself, using your computer make/model and the terms "red" "monitor" "display". Then if it is a cable, swapping one cable out for a new one would do the trick.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Thanks, all. My first strategy is to do everything I need to do today (documents for an upcoming trip, some posters I've made for a display at church, etc.) while my monitor is still alive. (It's fine today -- knock on wood.) My computer (a desk top) is an all-in-one, so there are no visible cables connecting the monitor to the computer. I'll have to take it into the shop if it needs repair. I'm thinking of doing that this weekend to have it checked out, since I'll be away all of next week and using my tablet.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have any means of backing up all your files, either on a pluggable-in external drive or on the Cloud? It might be worthwhile doing.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Do you have any means of backing up all your files, either on a pluggable-in external drive or on the Cloud? It might be worthwhile doing.

I've been storing stuff in the Cloud and will continue as much as I can before taking my computer to the shop. (I know -- I should have done this a long time ago!)

--------------------
~Tortuf

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding Comodo antivirus the following may provide some worthwhile background reading, and link:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/business-software/the-best-free-software-for-small-businesses-1323829

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone here understand VOIP and related virtual telephony? I'm dealing with issues at work, and I want to understand better so I know how to speak with the techs (who invariably don't speak layperson and I don't speak their language).

Is any phone service using internet wires VOIP, or are there other varieties?

Our issue is that when people call on cell phones, sometimes they can't dial a menu option or an extension. Sometimes they can. It depends on the day and the carrier. Sprint cell phones didn't work last week. They work this week, but AT&T cell phones don't.

The techs I've been speaking with (and believe me, there are many) seem to have never heard of such a thing before, but also seem to be hinting that it's just something inherent in the technology that can't be fixed. I'm nearly at my wits' end...and I work in a church, so I really shouldn't start yelling at people on the phone, even if they're with the phone company!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
Does anyone here understand VOIP and related virtual telephony? I'm dealing with issues at work, and I want to understand better so I know how to speak with the techs (who invariably don't speak layperson and I don't speak their language).

Is any phone service using internet wires VOIP, or are there other varieties?

Our issue is that when people call on cell phones, sometimes they can't dial a menu option or an extension. Sometimes they can. It depends on the day and the carrier. Sprint cell phones didn't work last week. They work this week, but AT&T cell phones don't.

The techs I've been speaking with (and believe me, there are many) seem to have never heard of such a thing before, but also seem to be hinting that it's just something inherent in the technology that can't be fixed. I'm nearly at my wits' end...and I work in a church, so I really shouldn't start yelling at people on the phone, even if they're with the phone company!

If you are paying/phone for help to you internet provider, you are using VOIP. Voice Over Internet Protocol.
I just understand telephony, but I well understand techs. Many do not fully understand the technology they are helping with and most are not allowed to admit the failings of their technology unless they are forced to. Inconsistent issues are the worst to diagnose with anything.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Skype is VOIP. So is Viber, TextNow and there are several others out there. There is also something called SIP which for present day is basically the same thing (session initiation protocol), though actually refers to a connection method. It was possible in the past to use open-source SIP and call anywhere for free (I used Twinkle and Asterisk).

You can get a thing that looks like a regular landline telephone but is actually a softphone, and it connects just like a regular phone to any cell or landline.

Beware that some VOIP providers charge quite a bit more to call a mobile versus landline.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, accidentally posted that before done.

In my experience the menu accessing issues with cellphones and sometimes not being able to call are related to how the VOIP provider has structured their service. When a call is made from/to a cellphone, it has to go through the internet to/from some switching equipment, and perhaps handed off through networks not part of the providers system, to eventually get to a cell tower. The software may be written in such ways to discourage the use of some networks and switches because the provider pays more to use. Sometimes this cost is passed to the user, and sometimes not. If the provider can't solve the problems, consider to get another provider and pay a little more to have better routing through the various networks, switches and cellphone systems.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our provider is AT&T. They provide our internet, and also our land lines, AND VOIP which we use for phones. At least I assume it's VOIP - hence my question; it runs over our internet cable. (The land lines are for alarm systems and elevators.)

I'm curious why this isn't a huge problem everywhere. VOIP is pretty popular, I think, with at least small businesses. You'd think it would be a widely known issue that no one's phone menus work reliably. Or maybe the big companies still use land lines; I'm told AT&T is trying to get out of the land line business, actually.

Unfortunately, there is no switching providers; we're in a contract. And all the decision-making is done by people other than me; I'm just the one who has to try to resolve the issues. [Help]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone help me with my cell phone problem? For some reason the provider (Sprint or somebody) has put a new app on the phone that shows weather, and the amount of juice left in the battery in large green numbers. (only when the phone is locked)

How do I get rid of this? I can't find an app with a name that suggests what it is, and when I turn off "additional information" from my lock screen, it doesn't change it.

[ 11. September 2017, 03:36: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry but I have a rather long list of questions relating to my new Microsoft email account.

Some months ago when I purchased my new PC running Windows 10, I opened a new Microsoft email account (***.live.com). It has been working perfectly on my desktop PC but my problem is with the same account which I have also set up to access on my phone and tablet. On the desktop PC, all the emails seem to stay there until I choose to delete them. But on the phone or tablet, they stay there for a few days and then disappear completely. What am I doing wrong?

I also need to know; How do I save them permanently? Is that the same as archiving them? If so, where do they go when archived? Do they get saved on the PC or on the server?

And how long do emails routinely get kept on the server? And how do I delete emails permanently from the server?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I don't know anything about phone apps or email. My problem is Facebook. I have an old computer and Facebook is not happy. It takes ages to load anything and some pages won't load at all. It has taken all the fun of things away. Most other websites are loading fairly quickly. My yahoo mail is quite slow. I can't play any videos. I'm sure it is some setting or something particular to Facebook but I can't figure it out and have no funds to try to get it repaired or buy a new computer. I don't have a cell phone so this is it for me. Any advice greatly appreciated!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

lilypad: how old is the computer, what is the operating system, what is the web browser you're using to get into Facebook?
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2008 Acer laptop with Vista and was using Firefox where all this started and have since uninstalled that and am using Chrome. Neither of these are supported anymore. I did try logging out of some other locations where I had logged in as someone out there on the internet suggested but it hasn't helped. It was working just fine until the last two months. I also tried uninstalling a bunch of programs that I don't use anymore thinking it would free up processing power but I guess that wasn't the issue. I think it must be a Facebook setting with this computer but I've tried clearing a cache I found but it didn't help. I tried logging in at the library on Friday and it works perfectly there so it isn't some way that I have it set up.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

The issues are probably Vista and the processor ability. There's planned obsolescence with computers, hardware that is older sometimes cannot keep up. Getting a more recent operating system might help, but I'm betting the hardware won't support a version of Windows which would fix the problem. (They call it 'upgrading' though it is often not really upwards.)

I have 2 older computers I continue to use. This one is a Dell n-Series from 2005, and I have a Toshiba the same vintage as your's. I put Linux on them both (Linux Mint). Which requires some work and little know how. The usual alternative I suggest to people without much of a budget and not able to install an operating system is an off-lease HP laptop which are usually less than $200 and can still be had with Windows 7. That's what I buy for the office. Tigerdirect is one source.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question about internet connectivity:

I'm using the command
code:
ping -t 8.8.8.8

on some 64bit machines (Win 7) to check for response times and reliability of a connection.

This works well on all my 64bit computers, whereas one 32bit Win 7 machine keeps replying:

code:
Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data: General failure.  

However, the machine is connected to the internet and browser et al work perfectly well.

Is this a (firewall) problem, specifically related to the computer in question, or is that command prompt just not available for 32bit machines?

Thank you for any enlightenment!

Signed, Confuzzled of Silly Isles

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:

Is this a (firewall) problem, specifically related to the computer in question, or is that command prompt just not available for 32bit machines?

It's probably a firewall issue. Something on that machine is blocking ICMP packets. Dig around in your firewall and see if there's an "enable ICMP packets" type option.

If you're running a VPN on that machine, that might break this as well.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent! Of course you are right. Disabling the firewall makes it work. And me thinking I had consciously chosen the same security settings for all the machines! Apparently not. [Hot and Hormonal]

Thanks for the encouragement, Leorning Cniht! [Yipee]

Now, while we're at it: I am experimenting with different ISPs. One I've had for years, and which is quite reliable, offers 10 Mbit/s max download speed, and will be upgraded soon to 40 Mbit/s.

The other, new one, which interestingly works via the (TV) cable, is 100 Mbit/s, but with them I appear to have strange, frequent outages, even just now again, with the firewall off. Normally with them it looks as follows:

code:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time-8ms TTL=59 

and similar.

But ever so often, I get
code:
Request timed out.  

between some packets that go through. This can be a 1-second lapse, but sometimes there are even several seconds timed out. This of course seriously hampers listening to online radio or watching films and videos online. The biggest problem, however, is the IP phoneline that goes with it - I've repeatedly had others complain that my voice was getting totally garbelled - which, upon checking, was consistently the case when request timeouts occurred!

Annoying.

Any suggestions what could be the matter, before I contact the cable guys? - Methinks I need clear proof of the problem so that they believe me, and thus have taken numerous screenshots of the ping windows when it happened.

The while thing is all the more confusing, as with the old, but slower ISP, timeouts never or extremely rarely happen.

Thanks!

[ 27. October 2017, 15:03: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Littlest's computer, thanks to a Windows Update, has gotten into an infinite loop. It will boot up to a picture of the windows logo but all in blue, then it says "reverting to previous version of windows" and reboots itself. Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, has made it that it's virtually impossible to get into Safe Mode without actually being able to get into Windows in the first place, which is worthless. We tried booting from a thumb drive but it proved no show. We don't have a Win10 boot disk because (a) this was a Win7 machine that was involuntarily upgraded, and (b) it came pre-installed and the emergency disk, if we ever had one, is long since gone.
Thoughts and prayers appreciated. Share the thoughts, please.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any help for getting into safe mode? http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-boot-loop-windows-10-creators-update.html

Not sure I'd trust the "Driver Talent" utility.

[Code fix]

[ 13. November 2017, 12:39: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Any help for getting into safe mode? http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-boot-loop-windows-10-creators-update.html`

Not sure I'd trust the "Driver Talent" utility.

Error 404. [Frown]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Try losing the final apostrophe in KLB's link.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016