homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Ancient Geek-Computer myths and facts (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ancient Geek-Computer myths and facts
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mt--

I'm not a techie, but my computer often needs some help. Don't know if this will work in Win 10. I use Vista, and it works for me. Would be a good idea for you to check and verify online.

--When the computer is`press F8 and hold it down while you boot up. Let go of the F8 key. You should soon get a plain screen that gives you various Safe Mode options, Start Normally, and maybe a few others.

--Another thing that may help: Press Fn, and hold it down while you boot up. On my Dell laptop, I get the Dell screen. In the upper right corner, it says "Diagnostic startup selected". Let go of the Fn key.

The computer will start a thorough checkup. You should probably sit with it for the first 20 min. or so because it may ask you some questions. (On mine, it shows a screen of striped colors, and asks if they display ok.

When the checkup is done, you should get a screen asking if you want to go on to the next part, which takes about 30 min.

At the end of THAT, there's an option to go on to a symptom-specific section. When you exit that, I think it reboots automatically.

--If you can get to a command prompt,
"chkdsk /f" will tell the system to check and fi things at the next boot-up.

--Also at a command prompt: "sfc /scannow". It checks for file problems.

--I haven't used this...but some computers have a "Recovery" partition, and I've read that you can make a book disk from that.

--Some useful software, with various editions available free: Wise Care 365 and System Mechanic. CC Cleaner is also good, BUT one version was recently hacked. There've been versions since then, so you should double-check the version you're getting.

CNET's download section is a good source for free software, IME. It looks like there are some operating systems in the "Utilities" section.

Sorry if that's too much info. Good luck!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17992 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't download from CNET. They bundle adwarw in. Alwaya go to the app developer's own page.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17624 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
When the computer is [booting] press F8 and hold it down while you boot up. Let go of the F8 key. You should soon get a plain screen that gives you various Safe Mode options. . . . Another thing that may help: Press Fn, and hold it down while you boot up. On my Dell laptop, I get the Dell screen. In the upper right corner, it says "Diagnostic startup selected". Let go of the Fn key. The computer will start a thorough checkup.

My experience has been that pressing the F8 key repeatedly in rapid succession during bootup will get you into the Safe Mode option screen. Also, I think the diagnostic routine summoned via the Fn key is for physical problems, not for software or operating system problems.

--------------------
"It used to be that being crazy meant something. But not anymore – nowadays everybody's crazy!" – Charles Manson

Posts: 10294 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Try losing the final apostrophe in KLB's link.

Apostrophe lost. Code fixed. Muscles flexed.
[Biased]

jedijudy
One of the Helpful (and powerful [Big Grin] )Heaven Hosts

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17834 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
When the computer is [booting] press F8 and hold it down while you boot up. Let go of the F8 key. You should soon get a plain screen that gives you various Safe Mode options. . . . Another thing that may help: Press Fn, and hold it down while you boot up. On my Dell laptop, I get the Dell screen. In the upper right corner, it says "Diagnostic startup selected". Let go of the Fn key. The computer will start a thorough checkup.

My experience has been that pressing the F8 key repeatedly in rapid succession during bootup will get you into the Safe Mode option screen. Also, I think the diagnostic routine summoned via the Fn key is for physical problems, not for software or operating system problems.
We have tried both several times, but alas to no effect.

--------------------
“Religion doesn't fuck up people, people fuck up religion.”—lilBuddha

Posts: 63123 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
We have tried both several times, but alas to no effect.

You might need to access the bios to change the boot order to look for the usb port first.
Try this
1. Hold and press [Shift] then turn off the system.
Press and hold the F2 button then click the power button. DO NOT RELEASE the F2 button until the BIOS screen display.
Then this, though your exact BIOS might differ.
One potential solution is to pull the drive and follow the instructions in the link.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16960 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
You might need to access the bios to change the boot order to look for the usb port first.

One of the very first things we did.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
One potential solution is to pull the drive and follow the instructions in the link.

Yeah, I think pulling the drive is about all we have left. It clearly is going to need a fresh install, or a trip to the cyberknacker's.

--------------------
“Religion doesn't fuck up people, people fuck up religion.”—lilBuddha

Posts: 63123 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any thoughts on and firsthand experience with the new Firefox 57, aka 'Firefox Quantum', anyone?

I'm not migrating yet, but am experimenting with alternative browsers, of which Vivaldi seems very customisable indeed, and that's the way, aha aha, I like it, aha aha. [Cool]

Thanks for your insightful observations!

[ 16. November 2017, 21:47: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7253 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You may not have a choice. Mine updated itself this morning without asking permission!

Some annoyances I have found so far . . . some frequently used buttons like Home and Refresh have moved across to the left hand side of the screen, though I will probably get used to that.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3115 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you right click on the offending icon and select Customise, you can move the icons around to your heart's content.

But - my favourite add-in - Roomy Bookmarks - isn't compatible and, apparently, won't ever be - now the bookmark bar takes up about eight times the space ( or would if I had a monitor eight times as wide!).

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3269 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have Firefox set up to let me know updates are available, but not install them automatically. (Tools - Options - Advanced - Updates.) That's my setting for most software, due to past problems--mostly with Microsoft.

FYI: I'm using Firefox ESR 52.5.0 (32-bit). Had to go down the ESR side-branch of editions, due to some computer quirk or other.

[ 18. November 2017, 02:08: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17992 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm on ESR too due to some work site requirements.

From what I read it is quicker, but the People were in Uproar over their add-ins not working.

Posts: 7558 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@WesleyJ -- Firefox 57 seems better overall, as long as you can cope with the possible loss of some precious (or not so precious) extensions. There are alternatives or updates to all the ones that I actually value.

One issue I had to resolve was the non-display of text content in some tabs. This turned out to be to do with the sandboxing, and the level of 'security' being applied, and it has only effected my main desktop (Linux) system. Toning it down a level in about:config security.sandbox.content.level solved the issue. Apart from that I am quite impressed so far.

Posts: 333 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016