homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Ancient Geek-Computer myths and facts (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ancient Geek-Computer myths and facts
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think virtualbox is the way to go. It runs well boxing windows on Linux. I can't see that linux on windows would be a problem.

Linux can access FAT and NTFS files, but Windows can't access Linux EXTx files, so I would keep all your data in an NTFS partition.

Your new box can probably handle a heavyweight Linux Distribution, eg Fedora, Linux Mint etc. My Toshiba Netbook was always slow on Windows 7 starter, and painfully slow on Windows 10, but works reasonably well under Peppermint 8.

I need Windows only for MediaMonkey, but the OCR of MsOffice which came installed on a cheap 2nd hand laptop comes in handy, though that is meant to run on Linux. I have a 2.75 Gb dropbox installed on everything including my android phone so I can access all the files I edit there. I have also google drive installed and that has 14 Gb out of 15Gb still unused.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I have not found any reason to have Linux, frankly. I've run a few Linux boxes, and Linux dual boots, and Linux in Virtualbox. They offered no advantages over Windows that I could see.

Price. In my office we get HP laptops off lease for ~$150 (eg ncix or tigerdirect as they come up), put free Linux on them, add remote desktop and they connect to a Linux server running a Windows server (applications requiring it) and a Linux server both inside a virtual machine for filing. These have enough when 5-6 yrs from manufacture to run anything needed, like video streaming services like Netflix and Crave.

Yearly licensing costs went down by 90% and hardware by abt $300 per laptop because all programs are free and open source. There's also no virus stuff to worry about.

If you're just an end user, don't want to spend any effort, are okay with paying more for convenience, and don't mind built in obsolescence, no reason to bother. It's a bit like a holiday in an all inclusive resort versus arranging your own trip and exploring.

There are some lovely little computers for less than $15 like RaspberryPi which we use to automate some tasks. You can web surf, do documents, and watch videos but one thing at a time. They're really good for teaching coding to kids too.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Price.

I wouldn't say that others haven't found any reason. For my needs, price isn't enough. Open Office just is not a substitute for MS Office, and some rather weird software the school district uses that is only made for Windows is only made for Windows.

Further those who say there is no learning curve for Linux are liars. Just sayin'.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WPS Office is more compatible with MsOffice than Libre Office. Some may not like that it is Chinese software (what's hidden in the black box).

Very few people use the collaborative functionality of MsOffice. I used to when running Requirements and Design reviews in systems development, but that was in the late 90s. After that, the MsOffice technical skills of software developers tailed off. And writing excel macros was regarded by most as another language ;-)

Learning new operating systems always takes time. XP -> 7 -> 10; leaves many baffled and complaining and requiring training sessions. I always tell people to play with them, but many don't have the inclination or confidence.

[ 23. January 2018, 03:49: Message edited by: Latchkey Kid ]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't imagine what there is that's so hard to learn about Win10. I never interact with it except to find programs, and that's a breeze. Far easier than Win7. Otherwise it stays in the background and leaves me alone, like a good operating system should.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

I an frequently surprised when, what appears to me to be a straightforward and simpler path to accomplish something, completely baffles others who have to be taught a new procedure and are not prepared to look up how the new OS works for that task.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was new in my current role I need to help one of the retired researchers (i.e. the USS pays them rather than the University). It was just on the changeover from Dos to Windows. She was struggling to use the new visual interface but went away totally happy when I showed her how to get into SPSS from the dos prompt so she could type in commands. Apparently, that was lots easier.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. What ever you start from tends to be what you judge anything new. I don't notice the user interface with Linux and I certainly do with Apple or any version of Windows. I do use Windows when I consult to a gov't organization. Just do what I have to and get out.

The other issues for us as a business is Microsoft's monetization and data mining. Not interested in any info going to any company, nor push updates which can be disruptive.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Windows got removed from my desktop system in 2006. I have never felt any real need to use it since. If you are thinking about trying it, by all means set up a dual boot system, but do think carefully why you are giving an alternative operating system a go.

You definitely need to have some genuine motivation and understanding of what you are doing and why. Depending on where you are coming from the learning curve can be steep. I would certainly suggest sticking with it for several months to give yourself time to develop new 'muscle memories' and understanding of the new system and the application software.

Definitely do your research, and if you can find someone who already knows the ropes and is happy to help, that may be very helpful.

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
When I was new in my current role I need to help one of the retired researchers (i.e. the USS pays them rather than the University). It was just on the changeover from Dos to Windows. She was struggling to use the new visual interface but went away totally happy when I showed her how to get into SPSS from the dos prompt so she could type in commands. Apparently, that was lots easier.

I remember making that switch. For me, the hardest thing was learning to use a mouse. That particular kind of coordination wasn't natural for me.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where has my printer driver gone?

I am using a laptop running Windows 10, I have a collection of photos from an Aunt who recently passed away, but when I came to scan them nothing happened. I am using a HP all in one machine.

Going through Install New device does not seem to work.

Can anyone help? I last installed the printer on this laptop using Windows 8.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have a cable to the printer? Sometimes plugging it into the computer / laptop makes the computer look for the drivers and give you advice on how to update drivers.

If it is not supported, you'll have to find the drivers on the HP site.

(My old Epson printer works wirelessly, but I have had to plug it into the laptop to persuade the laptop to upload the drivers for scanning. The tablet prints fine wirelessly, but I haven't needed to convince it to work with the scanner.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Search the printer by name and include windows 10 and compatibility. Hopefully they didn't obsolete-ize your printer.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks all for the thoughtful advice to my queries here, re purchase of a new Windows 10 vs. Linux machine.

The Linux question I've put aside for now, after reading your comments. And playing with a Raspberry Pi could definitely be fun, so I'll see what comes out of that.

Concerning compatibility with Windows 10: I schlepped some hardware to one place of work, where we have Windows 7 and also Win 10 machines - everything connected well, so that was a relief! In addition, I invested a (reasonable) amount of cash to get time, hints and tips from a local computer shop, where they confirmed my observations. If need be, they are able to assist further. And things like their serial port-to-USB converters actually do work, they assure me. Good to have that local, professional uber-geek connection!

Talking with them, the question that arose of course was: do I buy a pre-assembled system (not from their shop), or set up my own machine from separate components; this was, and is, extremely tempting and had indeed crossed my mind. After careful consideration, we finally found that the overall costs would be about the same as the machine I had in mind, so I finally decided to buy the one out of the box. According to their suggestions, I did tweak a few things for best performance upon ordering, money well invested!

Invested, in fact, in this lovely high-spec beauty here. [Yipee]

Because, after nearly 13 years (which was May 2005), methinks I deserve a new desktop machine!

I should get it in a few days, and I may well report back. Beware. [Smile]

Thank you again for the useful tips! [Overused]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the orientation of a Google map, i.e. so the long side is north-south rather than east-west but with the place names the right way up?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the orientation of a Google map, i.e. so the long side is north-south rather than east-west but with the place names the right way up?

Rotating my mobile works for that, so.... [Biased]

On my mobile now, so I I cannot check for sure, but is there a compass rose on the screen? If so, try clicking that. Or look to the preferences.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got to a computer and Google maps doesn't appear to have that function. Google Earth does, however. That can be accessed through the Google Chrome browser or downloaded onto your computer and run from there.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Got to a computer and Google maps doesn't appear to have that function. Google Earth does, however. That can be accessed through the Google Chrome browser or downloaded onto your computer and run from there.

Google maps does seem to have that function on mine. But I'm using a Surface Pro 4, so that may have something to do with it. (The SP4 has the same positioning accelerometers that a smartphone does, whereas the average laptop doesn't.) If that's true you should also be OK on an iPad or Android equivalent).

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016