homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Look what I created! Crafting 2017 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Look what I created! Crafting 2017
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our new grandbaby was born a bit over a week ago. While awaiting his arrival I knitted him 15 cardigans, some hats & booties, and a cot toy.
I think I should stop now

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{With one hand, holds up shiny keys to distract Granny Roseofsharon, and sweeps away all the yarn goodies and supplies with the other hand.}
[Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 16815 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That’s funny – it sounds like Judy could see my picture outside of France?

It’s a classic pussy hat shape, but knitted with black sequinned yarn, with a black and silver bow sewn on. It’s going to be worn by my sister-in-law who is currently protesting her little heart out in California. It is a limited edition because she detests pink.

I think it might be quite fun to start sending them to Trump though. Reminds me of one of my favourite ever protest movements, the awesome Panties for Peace. Apparently Than Shwe’s Burmese junta were a superstitious lot, and one of their many phobias had to do with women’s underwear. Consequently the idea behind PFP was to put a pair of knickers in an envelope and mail it to your local Burmese embassy [Big Grin] .

<muses about entertaining items to send his orangeness>

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
{With one hand, holds up shiny keys to distract Granny Roseofsharon, and sweeps away all the yarn goodies and supplies with the other hand.}
[Biased]

You'd need both hands, extended arms and at least two sweeps to remove my yarn supplies [Big Grin]
Fortunately I have been offered a distraction from oversupplying Grandbaby. A church member has asked, on behalf of a local charity, if our knitters would make teddies to add to Moses baskets filled baby needs being given to refugees.
Just one more pair of booties, and some mittens, then I'll move on to teddies

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can knit and sew, but not crochet. I had my first 'lesson' this morning for a granny square. [Eek!] [Ultra confused] [Hot and Hormonal]
Posts: 1866 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
That’s funny – it sounds like Judy could see my picture outside of France?

Yes indeedy! Florida, France, all the same!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17441 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I plan to select the least successful of the pussyhats I'm knitting (because I doubt if he'll actually wear it) and drop it off at the White House gate next time I go downtown. To save on postage. I will pack it in a clear ziploc bag (so that it is clearly innocuous) with a kind and simple note, in words of one syllable to increase the odds of it being read. No irony! I am the master of my words, and can make them stay one one surface level.
It will probably be carefully archived as a historical artifact. Most Presidential museums and libraries are well-stocked with this kind of folk-art thing -- portraits of the president rendered in glued-on macaroni, hand-painted porcelains depicting the White House dog, etc.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 4369 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
La Vie - I had no problems viewing your hat either, although my school girl French was challenged a bit. [Hot and Hormonal]

I might see if someone in my craft group would teach me to knit a pussy hat. The woman in Brenda's video had huge needles so doing one like that might be in the realms of possibility.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9564 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used this pattern for pussyhats. I've made 17 now but still takes me longer than the 1 hour estimated. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pussyhat-project

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2576 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not difficult, Huia. The pattern is designed to be very simple. And it's a small, easily portable project.

--------------------

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Weaving weaving!

I've got 426 linen ends wound onto the back beam and ready for threading. This is for table runners in monk's belt.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Weaving fascinates me but it is not my thing. Besides, I have no place for a loom. Do you have pictures of your work anywhere?

[ 08. February 2017, 21:21: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 8793 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
I have no place for a loom.

"Do I have a place for this loom?" is never the first question.

"Do I have a place for this loom?" is never, ever, ever the first question.

The first question is always, "Does my bed need to be this large?"

Just sayin'.
[Big Grin]

(Unfortunately no pictures of my work anywhere---but here is where I learned to weave: Vavstuga)

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lothlorien--

There are lap and table looms, FWIW.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"

Posts: 16815 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did once have a small inkle loom which was fun to use. However, I do sew but not often now. Knitting is what most of my time goes on now. I give a lot away and spend quite a bit of time on chemo hats for children at children's hospital where Miss M, my granddaughter was treated. One way of expressing my gratitude and they always need hats.

I have made dozens and dozens of pairs of socks over the years and love making lace shawls too.

Enough on my plate.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am just beginning to sew again. I've had a very painful upper back since November and haven't been able to cut out or use my sewing machine or sit comfortably enough to hand sew [Waterworks] I am just making a peg bag that I promised a friend before Christmas, I'm slow but getting there [Yipee]
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wish me luck, this weekend I'm teaching two friends to knit!!

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

SM [Eek!] [Votive] [Smile]
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

In these days of YouTube videos it's not too difficult to teach knitting. You show people how to do it and then tell them that if they forget they should find the appropriate video on line and keep on playing it over and over. There are people who can teach themselves from a page (I can do this), and people who can do fine seeing it on YouTube. (My son-in-law does this, with quite complex things -- he taught himself how to kill a live lobster with a cleaver, by watching YouTube. And then he stuffed and grilled it. It tasted great, but could never bear to do this!)

But there are always those people who must be physically shown how to start. And those are the people who sign up for lessons, or ask friends to show them. After that, they're fine.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loved seeing a clip of someone learning to knit by replacing the right hand needle with the same sized crochet hook....wish someone had taught me that way. Less dropped stitches and much better and more uniform tension!

Never good at knitting, I always preferred crochet because there was less slippage. Youngest daughter had a boring January at work and one of her workmates taught her to crochet cute Japanese animals during their breaks. She has made some beauts, but bemoaned the lack of patterns for them on the internet. You will be pleased to know I directed her to ravelry.com immediately!

Thank you SoF. In exchange B4 taught said workmate how to make origami poo.
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 6928 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes, I must make a confession.

Last night, I took the scissors to a 97 year old piece of sheet music. I am sure this would horrify some - but Ten Preludes for Piano by Mr.Laine was rather tatty and delightfully aged enough to make great Valentine's day hearts for a sales table I am running this weekend.

The bonus bit at the end was a song by Ada Leonora Harris called "In an Old-fashioned town', music by W.H.Squire.

Inscribed by the owner, I.Micholm 21.10.20. Price 2/-
Boosey & Co. 295 Regent St London.

A delightful cover sheet - I may have to frame that one.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
origami poo

I thought you were kidding.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

You will be pleased to know that I have utilised her creative paper crafting into Valentine's Day cards. Yes, really.

She made some out of happy floral paper (red roses, yellow sunflowers etc) and I put googly eyes and chocolate lips on them, then glued them to the front of cards with the message "Oh Poo...You know I love You!"

I figure if we are going to go kitsch then lets go completely overboard....I'll let you know how they sell.

For some people love is definitely not all hearts and flowers.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see that appealing to some people who are sick of the overly sweet messages.

Once, with his permission I used a quote from Zappa on my Easter card. It said Shit happens, so does Resurrection but in a fancy font so that it wasn't immediately obvious.

I only sent the card to selected recipients.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9564 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Maybe a step too far - didn't sell a single poo card! The 6 I did will be recycled. Meanwhile I had a new craft experience today - dumpster diving.

I spent the day at my mother's nursing home, and the activities officer asked to see me, saying she had some craft oddments for me if I wanted them. She gave me a bag of Christmas materials, then mentioned she'd just thrown three more large boxes full in the dumpster unopened, as she couldn't be bothered going through them.

Definitely not too proud to look in a skip and take away what I can use. I think I came away with several hundred dollars worth of stuff - unopened bags of silk thread and ribbon, lace, new tubes of paint, real pearl buttons etc etc - a cornucopia of fun to be had.

TP looked on amused until he spotted a cache of terracotta pots that had been chucked. We took those home too, as he often pots plants for charities to sell.

Not telling the children about this one, I think. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am not having a good time at the moment. I found some wool that I bought years ago for a project that never happened, and decided to use it up by knitting little girls' jumpers for the charity shop. Did one but underestimated how much wool I would need for the second one. In fact, right up until halfway through the second sleeve, I thought I would have enough wool. Well, I haven't. I can't think of a way of introducing another colour that would look anything other than dreadful, so I think I'm going to have to undo it all and knit a smaller size.

Then, I was about to put an old pair of trousers out to grass and suddenly saw I could make them into a little girl's skirt. I cut it out, inventing the pattern (which I've never done before), thinking there was nothing lost if it all went wrong, when my old sewing machine died. I bought a new one, a simple one (I only want to do seams and button holes, nothing fancy) - one suitable for children over the age of 8 and persons of restricted understanding - and after 3 days, the instructions, the dvd and several tutorials on YouTube (by 8 year old girls), Macarius and I have been unable to thread the bobbin properly/get the right tension, and all I get is bird's nests.

It's gone from being a fun little project to a bit of a nightmare! Oh well, onwards and upwards. Sorry for the moan.

M.

Posts: 2177 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Oh dear, M, how frustrating. My mother's machine, used only by my dad, threaded backwards to anything else anyof us had ever see, much frustration.

BL, my sister on NSW north coast has been making watering stations for birds in these dreadfult temperatures. A terracotta pot, inverted and placed in a shady spot withthe saucer on top filled with water was in use by multiple birds within 30 minutes of placement under a grevillea.

[ 13. February 2017, 06:37: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Yes, the birds are suffering in the heat - our in-laws had three chooks die from heat stress over the weekend. Inverting the pots and putting saucers of water on top is a great idea. We keep our two bird baths (one out front and one in back) properly filled and the wildlife queue to use them!

M, nothing more frustrating than a machine that simply will not co-operate, and not being able to work out why. I have one with an automatic threader that will work on some days and not on others. I've never been able to figure out why as I do exactly the same thing each time I want to thread it.

As for the sleeves on the jumper, can only suggest turning it into a sleeveless vest and using the wool you have for working around the armholes or maybe using woollen material to make the sleeves. Hybrid garments are very trendy.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or knit down the sleeves simultaneously (wind the unravelled wool into two balls) until the yarn runs out, resulting in matching short sleeves.
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

Now threading the warp onto heddles. I sit inside the loom to do this.

Here is a picture of the same model I've got

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Are you able to take the machine back to the shop? Someone should be able to show you how to do it, and there is always the possibility that something is broken/defective.

As to the sweater. Are you knitting the sleeves from the top down, or from the cuff up? In either case, Penny has the right of it. Take apart the single sleeve, and find some other yarn of a similar weight and fiber, in a tolerable color contrast. Reroll both these yarns into two separate and identical balls, so that you know you will have enough for each sleeve.

Then make two identical sleeves in the two colors. There are a lot of ways to do this -- stripe it with color A and color B, or use color A for the cuff and a stripe or two, leaving most of the sleeve in color B, or even mainly color B with a pattern in color A. It all depends on which color you have the most of. It'll look best if the ribbings (cuff, collar, hem) are the same.

[ 13. February 2017, 13:55: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for all the suggestions. There is a helpline for the machine that I will try - I tried over the weekend but it's only open weekdays..

But I don't think the jumper would look right with different colours or with short sleeves or as a tank top; I've thought of all those things but just can't see it.

M.

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

Have now made two pegbags; very pleased with them. Have also mastered treble, double treble and triple treble crochet stitches - I 'm clearly more cut out for straight(ish) lines rather than squares. [Yipee]
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Doone--

Congrats on the peg bags! And there's nothing wrong with specializing in straight(ish)-edged projects. All sorts of things you can make.

Some ceramicists specialize in slab work and other things, rather than throwing pots on a wheel--and vice-versa.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

If anyone's interested in the saga of the new sewing machine, I eventually got hold of the manufacturer's helpline, and we went through all the possibilities, all of which I'd already checked. Finally, he said that as the machine was brand new, I should just take it back to the shop.

So I took it back to Argos and got a different sort of machine. Which worked perfectly first time.

It's fun again now.

M.

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant! It's no good if it's not fun.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3120 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Yay!

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

It seems no-one wants old silver and tinware any more. Lots of battered bits donated to recent charity sales tables have been given to me to "do something creative with."

And so I have been enjoying siliconing bits together to make centrepieces for a Mother's Day high tea during the coming autumn. Silver trays of different sizes with goblets and candlesticks or stemmed glasses in between to make them into attractive towers for fruit or flowers or cakes. The ones that are not the best will end life as craft storage for my bits of lace and jewellery recycling.

My respect for the building guns who silicone around doors and windows has risen. I suspect they would make excellent sugar artists if they turned their hand to cake decorating!

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I saw a great photograph of glass mushrooms, created by some creative person from glass bowls and vases glued together. They make great garden ornaments, in groups.

Due to various requests I have been knitting pussyhats continuously, using the opportunity to experiment with different stitch patterns. They all have to be fairly small, and suitable for knitting in the round. The best one is a simple right-twist cable. I am doing a more elaborate one now that has holes in a lattice, but I don't like the waffle-hole effect so well. Alas, I don't dislike it -quite- enough to pull it all out and start over with something different.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doone:
Have now made two pegbags; very pleased with them. Have also mastered treble, double treble and triple treble crochet stitches - I 'm clearly more cut out for straight(ish) lines rather than squares. [Yipee]

Yes but straight lines and squared are not the only thing you can do with crochet. I am in the process of making three elephants. First one of two for me niece is here. Second pink one is in progress and then a grey one for my sister to s slightly different pattern. My sister's one needs to match the pale pink elephant I made some years ago for her and my niece has nabbed.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Walking 18 miles to help Refugees get an education.

Posts: 20347 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I saw a great photograph of glass mushrooms, created by some creative person from glass bowls and vases glued together. They make great garden ornaments, in groups.

Due to various requests I have been knitting pussyhats continuously, using the opportunity to experiment with different stitch patterns. They all have to be fairly small, and suitable for knitting in the round. The best one is a simple right-twist cable. I am doing a more elaborate one now that has holes in a lattice, but I don't like the waffle-hole effect so well. Alas, I don't dislike it -quite- enough to pull it all out and start over with something different.

There's a lovely pattern on Ravelry for one with a double helix cable design. I'm adapting it to knit flat as I dislike knitting in the round

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2264 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

JJ they're lovely! Your elephant is very cute [Axe murder] I will definitely have a go.
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
There's a lovely pattern on Ravelry for one with a double helix cable design. I'm adapting it to knit flat as I dislike knitting in the round

I am always disappointed when I look at the Ship's Ravelry group - no posts for eight years!

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a ship's ravelry group???
Posts: 4434 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I was going to knit a vest with that double helix cable pattern. Or possibly a cardigan, but the idea would be to have the helix cable going up both fronts and over the shoulders. (This would obviously have to be knitted flat but with no shoulder seams, up and over the top.) The cables would go up and over and then recombine at the center back into a central double helix going down the spine to the hem. The background would be a pattern of recombinant proteins, which are luckily T-shaped and would be relatively easy to work. A biology lesson in one knit project! Alas I have never done it, but some day.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
There's a ship's ravelry group???

It was started in 2007 and has 19 members, but not many whose names I recognise.
As I said, no posts for the last eight years and only RevKate and I have added project pictures in the last six.
Really, it's more or less moribund - even the member who set it up is conspicuous by her absence.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've done stuff that's posted on Ravelry more recently than that but I'm not a member of the Ship group

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13069 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh - I just went and found the group, intending to join it, and found that I am already a member.
quote:
Originally posted by Me, almost 9 years ago on Ravelry ...:
At the moment I’m trying to finish off all sorts of things that have been hanging around for ages before allowing myself to start on the aran weight cotton-mix that is going to turn into something jacketty once I’ve found a pattern that I like.

I’m also finishing a quilt that I started 23 years ago (every stitch done by hand, and some very long breaks while I made other quilts by machine), and a tapestry that has only been around for months rather than years.

The aran weight cotton is still waiting for an appropriate pattern. I almost gave it away when we moved, but rescued it at the last moment. The hand-stitched quilt is nearing completion (every stitch, both the piecing and the almost-complete quilting, still done by hand). It is, in fact, sitting on the settee on the other side of the room as I type. The tapestry, however, is long finished and framed.

In my defence, I have done an awful lot of other things in the meantime, including a part time Masters' degree!

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3120 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I am seriously considering This beautiful shawl as a winter project. It is modular so not too much strain on my hands. I am well on the way to finishing a throw rug made of different individual squares, so am happy with the modular concept. The designer has another half dozen or so patterns, all lovely but not all appealing to me.

A minute after finding the pattern, message popped up on FB from a yarn shop in Tasmania asking if anyone was interested in adding to their Malabrigo order. Obviously, I was meant to do this. [Biased]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That looks amazing Lothlorien!

I have taken up loom knitting - it's easier on the hands than normal knitting. I've done a scarf and a multicoloured hat, I'm now doing a denim coloured hat. I may knit some Christmas presents.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12084 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016