homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » On the Back Burner: Recipes 2017

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: On the Back Burner: Recipes 2017
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a brand-new recipe thread for a brand-new year. The old one has been moved to Limbo in case anyone still wants to try any recipes posted last year.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7196 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Avey
Apprentice
# 18701

- Posted      Profile for Avey     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a recipe for a "Home-Style" lamb and potato Punjabi curry given to me by a friend years ago. I make this often in winter and it is delicious.

7 tablespoons vegetable oil
One large onion finely chopped
2 finely chopped green chillies
5 cloves of garlic finely chopped
500 grams boneless cubed lamb
Large tin chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
Half a teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chilli powder (or to taste, I add a bit more)
2 teaspoons salt
3 or 4 large potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks.
1 and a half pints water

Heat oil over a high heat and when hot add onions and green chillies, stir fry until onions begin to brown on the edges.

Add garlic and all the ground spices and the salt stir until you can smell the spices roasting.

Add lamb stir well until coated with the spice mixture then add the tomatoes, Cook on high heat until sauce thickens and the oil separates.

Add water and potatoes, bring to boil then cover and cook on a low heat, leaving lid on pot ajar, for an hour or until meat is tender and the sauce thick.

Serves 4 and freezes really well.

I usually serve this with rice and an onion salad.

[ 09. January 2017, 15:13: Message edited by: Avey ]

Posts: 15 | From: London UK | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have found that I have a problem with milk, although it isn't lactose intolerance. Also I'm planning on lowering my carbs and milk is pretty carbie. Has anyone had experience in using plant based milk substitutes like rice, almond, or soy milk in cooking? Would unsweetened versions act like real milk in soups or white sauces and gravy? Thanks!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 20989 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a recipe for spiced nuts. These are highly addictive and perennially popular at parties.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 3781 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Avey
Apprentice
# 18701

- Posted      Profile for Avey     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That looks delicious must try.
Posts: 15 | From: London UK | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my attempt on a recipe from a local charity cafe. Equal parts of whipped cream and a soured dairy product - could be yoghurt, but last time I used smatana. A quantity of halved seedless grapes. Then soft brown sugar sprinkled on and folded roughly in to form streaks.
Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Has anyone had experience in using plant based milk substitutes like rice, almond, or soy milk in cooking? Would unsweetened versions act like real milk in soups or white sauces and gravy? Thanks!

I use unsweetened soya milk as a dairy replacement. It takes a bit more effort to get a lump free white sauce with soya milk than with normal milk and there is according to other people a distinct taste to anything made with soya milk. It's also messier when used in tea or coffee. You can always tell which mug is mine from the residue at the bottom.

Rice milk has a watery taste and I have never managed to cook with it and not have it split. It also doesn't add anything dish.

Most people I know swear by almond and cashew nut milk as their preferred substitutes and would use cashew for white sauces as it's a creamer texture.

--------------------
Happiness is not having what we want but wanting what we have.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My solution to that is to blend silken tofu with soya milk with flavourings until I get the right constituency then heat.

Avocado with it makes a really rich creamy sauce.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Walking 18 miles to help Refugees get an education.

Posts: 20228 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't tried it yet, but I was thinking of using coconut milk as a substitute. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 19729 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have used soya milk successfully in pancakes and Yorkshire puddings, but they are nicer with some flavouring. The other trick is using soya cream to add creamy textures to sauces. The problem is I am usually substituting gluten free flours too, but buckwheat pancakes work.

I have also made rice pudding successfully with coconut milk. That one I like with dried fruit, such as apricots, as sweetener and cardamom pods, but the same person who can't eat wheat or dairy can't eat cardamom seeds either.

We can get hold of a butter substitute based on coconut oil that works well, avoids whey powder and doesn't have a strong taste.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 12999 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We use soy milk for virtually everything to minimise cholesterol intake. Some friends use coconut substitutes, as she is lactose intolerant and he says that they may as well use the same. The only time dairy milk is used is in making bread when the mix will be put into the machine well before the dough needs be ready to be baked. Then we use milk powder, too great a risk of liquid milk either soy or cow going sour beforehand.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 5650 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We use soy milk for virtually everything to minimise cholesterol intake. Some friends use coconut substitutes, as she is lactose intolerant and he says that they may as well use the same. The only time dairy milk is used is in making bread when the mix will be put into the machine well before the dough needs be ready to be baked. Then we use milk powder, too great a risk of liquid milk either soy or cow going sour beforehand.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 5650 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn't get back here sooner. I think I was particularly interested in making sauces and I'm pleased to hear about the nut milks. I think I'll head for Trader Joe's and get some unsweetened almond milk to try chicken a la king. And coconut milk sounds like a winner for desserts.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 20989 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016