homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » On the Back Burner: Recipes 2017 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: On the Back Burner: Recipes 2017
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
You press a sheet of baking paper right down to cover tightly at the sides

Thanks - will try that next time!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually put the veggies in the bottom of the slow-cooker, lay the meat on top and then pour over the wine and stock so that everything gets covered.

Also, despite what the books say about not lifting the lid, I've found that a quick stir (you don't need to have the lid off for more than a few seconds) part-way through the cooking time won't do it any harm, and will help to keep it nice and moist. If you're doing bigger pieces of meat, such as lamb-shanks (which could have been made for slow-cooking), turn them over with tongs so that they stay moist and cook evenly.

--------------------
"It's not so much the toes", said Piglet, "as the ears". A. A. Milne
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 18397 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moving on from slow cooker winter foods to summer. It is hot down here in Sydney. One of out hottest summers and whille I generally have only myself to cook for, I take care to make proper attractive meals. Without too much to fuss about them and without much use of the oven to heat my place up.

I had some small chicken thigh fillets left. I cooked them quickly on good oil so they did not dry out. I have just had some balcony pots repotted with herbs which are thriving. I picked lemon thyme and fresh mint which I chopped finely in a bowl. Cubed a mango and added it to bowl. Some good quality chilli flakes to give it some zing. It made a wonderful salsa for the chicken and I had a colourful salad as well. Be careful with the chilli if you do not use it much. I probably put a lot more in than others would.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 8718 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other night we had some people round our house for the purpose of our mutual spiritual edification. Someone brought a load of fruit to share including kiwis. We have four of them left. Neither my husband nor I are very keen on same; does anyone know a recipe we could hide them in to avoid them going to waste?

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to tenderise any meat, rubbing with slices of kiwifruit helps considerably. Does not impart the flavour, the enzymes tenderise the meat. Or not just rubbing but leaving sitting in glass dish would do the same.

[ 02. February 2017, 08:53: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for that reminder, Lothlorien - I knew that, but had forgotten.
Posts: 259 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not crazy about kiwi fruit but have used it sliced in a fruit salad with other tropical fruits such as mango, banana, papaya and pineapple. I make a salad dressing with a little orange juice mixed with passionfruit pulp and a teensy splash of white balsamic vinegar. I've served this with plain vanilla ice cream a few times, to some success.

The herb and vegetable garden has survived the drought and I'm making a large jar of basil vinaigrette to store in the fridge as well as pesto with surplus basil and rocket leaves. Plenty of courgettes and ripe tomatoes, so planning vegetable lasagna and Caprese salads for the last of the summer weather.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 159 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That sounds interesting, Mary Louise, although I rarely have icecream in the house. Not a fan really. I wish I could say remarks about the last of the summer weather, Still getting two or three days a week around 38 ° C here, a couple more between 32-35 and the rest mostly around high 20s. Today was cooler but it mounts again till next Tuesday. I am glad for many reasons that I do not live in Moree in NW NSW. They have had more than 35 consecutive days of temps round 37.

One son lives in foothills of mountains and another in Sydney's west. Their temperatures are higher again.

[ 02. February 2017, 09:38: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a neat little idea that I have filched from the brain of Himself -

For a low calorie but tasty dressing for fresh fruit salad mix a little cinnamon powder into some yoghurt and let it stand ab it - for extra taste make a lassi with the yoghurt, cinnamon and a ripe banana - you can even add a date or two.

Yes, you are right, I am spoilt rotten - and I love it!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

Posts: 47603 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try a passionfruit or 2 in the banana lassi - goes very well indeed and you can easily convince yourself it's healthy.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 5918 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a lovely Nigella recipe for chicken marinated in yoghurt, cinnamon and lemon, then cooked with cardamom and nuts, and served with saffron rice.

--------------------

Posts: 18397 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those Middle Eastern spices and flavours appeal to me too, Piglet. Next month we'll have ripe pomegranates and quinces, so I plan to make lamb and chicken tagines and some Iranian jewelled rice.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 159 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Currently very chuffed. I modified my flapjack recipe to a mix of treacle and golden syrup instead of just golden syrup, and added pumpkin seeds. The resulting batch was strongly approved of by the rest of the office, with one person asking when I was bringing in another batch [Yipee]

--------------------
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.
Erasmus of Rotterdam

Posts: 641 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I tried my hand at making tomato chutney today (I used a recipe for Ballymaloe chutney from the interweb), and it doesn't look at all bad. It needs a week or two to mature, so I'm going to have to exercise patience.

[tangent]
I think Patience would be a good name for a dog; when you're taking it for a walk you'd be exercising Patience. [Big Grin]

I'll see myself out.
[/tangent]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016