homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Hope This Helps: General Enquiries 2017 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hope This Helps: General Enquiries 2017
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have to ask a question and it doesn't fit neatly into any other category here, toss it onto this thread and see if anyone knows the answer.

Last year's General Enquiries thread has been locked.

[ 08. January 2017, 18:05: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7254 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friend's AP is finding the cleared tile and lino floors slippery to walk on. Does anyone have an idea about stuff we could lay to provide an easily cleanable non-slip surface? I've looked at plastic carpet protection drugget from Argos, but it says it is slippery on hard surfaces, which would defeat the object. I have a plastic thingy for putting in the bath for a secure stand under the shower, but it wouldn't be flat, would be too small, and would be a trip hazard itself.
This would be for the kitchen and the hallway.
We don't want her putting newspaper down again.

[ 13. January 2017, 21:36: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never tried this but have often seen the suggestion on US knitting sites. If she wears slippers inside it is often suggested to put puffy paint on the soles to stop slides. No idea how well that works.

I use a cane outside and walking to lift is along tiled walkway. I am careful to avoid any wet or even damp places. Even a bit of moisture on rubber at end of cane can cause it to slide on tile. I must have picked up a bit of grease the other day in car park and there was same result.

She needs to make sure there is absolutely nothing greasy or wet on floor.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 8810 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure what she wears indoors - because of her leg problems she wears Crocs ouside. I have slippers which have rubberised bits on the soles, which work well, but we would need a large size.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do not know how well it works but there is this spray on Amazon.

You might also look at the other things linked to on that page.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Walking 18 miles to help Refugees get an education.

Posts: 20347 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think she has to change what she is wearing on her feet. If you try to change the flooring somehow, anything you put down will also slip. A yoga mat on the floor works really well for being anti-slip but you couldn't do the whole floor.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2213 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Thank you - the floor surfaces are narrow, it's a galley kitchen, so mats would work. I'll have a look out for them.
I don't think the stone stuff would work on the lino, and it sounds a bit risky in confined places. The matting on the Amazon page is initially interesting, but the texture would not be easy to clean, which is the other thing to be taken into account.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about carpet tiles? They are not expensive and can easily be taken up to clean spillages etc. And they shouldn't slip if you get them laid properly in the first place.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3054 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Hmmm. We are nowhere near being able to lay them yet. Nice idea, though.
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother-in-law use to put large soft rubber bands around her soft slipper in the house. It seemed to work in making her feel less like she might slip.

--------------------
Notice to police, Should my body ever be found on a jogging trail, know that I was murdered elsewhere and my body dumped there."

Posts: 2517 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In addition to mats you can get rubberized tiles with round dots to prevent skids. Some are self adhesive peel and stick if you have a small area to do. The soft rubber is pretty cleanable and gentle on the feet.
Posts: 2936 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Non-skid bathtub strips? There are also non-skid coatings that you can paint on. BUT I don't know how toxic they are. And some of them have grit in them, which could be a problem if she ever goes barefoot.

You might also check sites for/about seniors, like AARP.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 16829 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Thanks for the suggestions. I am pointing her to the Red Cross who do work with helping people to stay in their homes independently. The hospital has already suggested them for other things, and she seems happy to consider help from that direction.
Feet have bandages on, so barefoot unlikely.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting. AFAIK, the Red Cross doesn't do that kind of work in the US.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 16829 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golden Key noted.
quote:
nteresting. AFAIK, the Red Cross doesn't do that kind of work in the US.

Perhaps they do not because visiting nurses do safety checks in home . At least that is true in California.

--------------------
Notice to police, Should my body ever be found on a jogging trail, know that I was murdered elsewhere and my body dumped there."

Posts: 2517 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

It's time limited work, not long term.

Aldi are selling yoga mats for £4.99, information I shall pass on.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are old DVDs recyclable? I have piles of old disks that I recorded myself off the TV and no longer want. I know the charity shops won't touch them, so is there any way of disposing of them without them going to landfill?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3054 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have Freecycle in your area? You could offer them up and see if there are takers. Artists use them for projects.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 4394 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Can they be used for making plant pots, as old 78 records could be?
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Are old DVDs recyclable? I have piles of old disks that I recorded myself off the TV and no longer want. I know the charity shops won't touch them, so is there any way of disposing of them without them going to landfill?

The only places I've heard of that will take them want them in quantities of several tonnes. Literal, tonne, not figurative.

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Can they be used for making plant pots, as old 78 records could be?

As I understand it, heating records releases unhealthy fumes. I can only imagine the potential for cds/dvds as the exact content of the plastic is an unknown.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 15219 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

You might see if someone who works with kids wants them as craft supplies. They'll end up in landfill anyway, but at least they'll get another use on the way.
Posts: 4193 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard that if you want to frighten birds away from your fruit trees, you can hang a lot of disks from the branches.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 19838 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, discs are useful for anti-bird purposes.

What one of the sons thought up was to attach to the top of canes for fruit/beans so not only scaring birds but also shielding the unwary from poking their eyes out if weeding, etc.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4382 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my nephew was young I had excess CDs (freebies I did not want) and made a mobile for a friends son. My mum promptly requested one for nephew. I made it, gave to her but he never got it, rather it hung in my parents' house for years.

It was nothing fancy, metal clothes hanger, fisherman's nylon and CDs stuck dull sides together.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Walking 18 miles to help Refugees get an education.

Posts: 20347 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They would probably be good to attach to anything you want to catch the eye. I'm thinking of those long sticks they use in parking lots, so that when it snows the plows know where the edges are.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See if a local preschool wants to make picture "frames" out of them. Or string them together (the blank ones) for rainbows.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19406 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Inspired by a current Radio 4 dramatisation (some will guess the book immediately):

Americans - were pickled limes ever really a schoolgirl favourite? They sound revolting.

--------------------
Searching for a new sig...

Posts: 9102 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gill, I reread Little Women a few years ago and did some research -- pickled limes (not lime pickle) were a craze during the American Civil War, sold very cheaply from jars in sweet shops. The March family were very poor and this was why Amy's debt was so serious. They were imported to Boston from the West Indies, shipped in barrels preserved in seawater or brine.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 178 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Inspired by a current Radio 4 dramatisation (some will guess the book immediately):

Americans - were pickled limes ever really a schoolgirl favourite? They sound revolting.

Actually they're not bad. Limes usually cost about $1 each here, sometimes more, but occasionally there are some past prime, and are 3 or 4 for $1. They're nice as an ingredient, e.g., you've a slow cooker stew of some thing spicy. cooking on the theory that sweet balances the spicy hot. It's the peel which adds the flavour, but don't use too much, it's an intense flavour. Lemons are also okay.
Posts: 10138 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Since Alcott was being semi-autobiographical, I think the period detail is accurate. More interesting is what she does not tell us. I could have done with far more description of the clothing, for instance. Does Meg wear a bustle? What were Amy's white boots made of? But we are not told these things, because she assumes her readers know.

--------------------

Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The period is a bit early for the bustle. The crinoline was slowly giving way to the crinolette, which was in effect the back half of the crinoline (and thus the precursor of the bustle).

It is possible that Amy's white boots were cloth-topped, but I don't see how painting them blue would make them look as though they were made of satin.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 274 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all! The Radio 4 adaptation finished today - very truncated (five 15-minute episodes) but rather good. I can practically recite that book from memory so my standards are high!

--------------------
Searching for a new sig...

Posts: 9102 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst sorting my bedroom today I found a lovely Lord of the Rings calendar for 1989 [Eek!] which I grabbed to hang in my back porch as the days and dates are the same as those for this year. I know there must be a word for this, but I don't know what it is. Can anyone help please?

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9576 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

For the calendar repeat? Or for such a delightful finding - which would be serendipity.
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh crumbs...a comment like the above ( calendars ) is of NO help to a clutter-bug like myself!
[Biased]

[ 01. February 2017, 12:45: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

--------------------
Our only business is to love and to delight ourselves in God.
Brother Lawrence

Posts: 3030 | From: "....hallelujah for all of my days......" | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The word for a calendar repeat is the one I'm after. It's not really serendipity because I am following the custom of a friend who buys beautiful and expensive calendars and re-uses them when the appropriate year comes along. He , however is more organised than I am, and I usually find them too late [Waterworks]

Huia

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
The word for a calendar repeat is the one I'm after.

Recyclical? The cycle of the year being repeated?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2452 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say, "The two years have the same Dominical letter". I don't know of a single word that describes the recurrence.

Just be aware, though - while the days of the week are coming around this year on the same dates as in 1989, the phases of the moon are not, so the date of Easter (and anything in the ecclesiastical year that depends on it) will be different.

--------------------
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Posts: 222 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

That's OK, it's one of those calendars that specialises in being stylish rather than useful so it doesn't have any of those details.

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thoughts after reading this , and discussions with science-sceptic friends...

When scientists say the blue whale is the largest animal to ever live, I implicitly place a "(that we know of") afterwards. Said friends not so.

When scientists say "90% of species were wiped out in X catastrophic event", my mind gets confused. How do they know? Is it, again, a case of, "on the available fossil evidence we have"? Such definitive statements get some friends riled up, but I have no real answers as to how they come to such a conclusion. Any thoughts?

Posts: 7000 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Probably it's from the fossil record.

There is another way, to see when a great loss of genetic diversity has happened. The DNA of the cheetah is curiously consistent over individuals -- there is very little variation, the way there would be between you and me. In other words, all cheetah now alive are very closely related. This could only have happened if, at some point in the past, nearly every single cheetah died. Only a very few individuals were left to carry on the species, and every cheetah alive today is descended from them. In other words, there was a bottleneck at one point in the past, and only a very few cheetah got past it.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Thoughts after reading this , and discussions with science-sceptic friends...

When scientists say the blue whale is the largest animal to ever live, I implicitly place a "(that we know of") afterwards. Said friends not so.

When scientists say "90% of species were wiped out in X catastrophic event", my mind gets confused. How do they know? Is it, again, a case of, "on the available fossil evidence we have"? Such definitive statements get some friends riled up, but I have no real answers as to how they come to such a conclusion. Any thoughts?

Largest known is what I most often hear/read and the estimate of droids is based on presence of fossils at different times. IIRC.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 15219 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are droids, lilBuddha? The source of all knowledge was no help. Thanks.

Thank you also Brenda -- and interesting about the loss of genetic diversity event. Thanks.

Posts: 7000 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

That's why zoos are very careful when they breed cheetah, so that the already sparse genetic diversity is maintained and increased. Because they are all already so very similar, the fear is that some disease will just wipe them all out.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question for somebody medical.
Saturday my husband’s friend was driving home when he experienced something (asthma attack? Heart problem?) which led to him going off the road into a woman’s driveway and some sort of arrest (cardiac? Respiratory? Both? It’s not clear, there’s a language problem). When the woman found him, he had been out for at least 45 minutes, according to the medical people. Paramedics came, apparently shocked his heart, and took him to hospital, where he is now in ICU on a ventilator and has been declared brain dead. They are proposing to keep him on life support until a child overseas can get to his bedside.
My question is this: Is it possible for someone to be in arrest for 45 minutes unobserved and unaided, and still be in a condition (that is, hanging on to life in some form) that someone thought it useful to shock his heart and put him in ICU? I would have expected them to declare him DOA at the hospital.
Asking for the family, and also for Mr. Lamb…

Posts: 19406 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This is where you have to trust the medical people who were first on the scene. Nobody has a time line on this; you could imagine an attack (asthma, epileptic) in minute one, pull over car in minute two, and then after more than half an hour of increasing medical distress only a heart attack in minute forty-two. In which case the team arriving in minute forty-five probably could jolt him back to life and save him.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LC - what a story. Sad and poignant. Kind regards to all involved and the family.

To answer the question from experience: the heart can keep incompetently beating for quite a while, with erratic breathing also occurring, such that the body keeps running at low ebb for quite a while. I watched my father-in-law do this for about 3 hours. breaths were sometimes only once every 2 or 3 minutes and the heart was fluttering and sometimes beating (according to the monitor). We thought he was gone several times. In his case, he seemed to hang on until my mother-in-law came back (we'd been on death watch for many days). There's more going on at death than we imagine.

--------------------
We must learn to live in harmony with nature. If we don't cease believing we can master and dominate it, life on Earth may be destroyed.
(formerly known more succinctly as "no prophet"), either way not be taken seriously. \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 10138 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to reconnect with a school friend who I have not seen for several decades. He became a CofE clergyman, and I know the area of England where he worked before retiring, but I can't find him in any on-line phone book (though that's not unusual these days) or even Auntie Google. I don't do Facebook, so perhaps I'm shutting myself out of modern life. Does anyone know of any publicly accessible directory where I might find him?

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 793 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Our first Ofsted omitted to give us the inspectors' CVs. The school caretaker ascertained that one was a priest in the CofE, and a visit to the library to consult Crockford's gave the background of the man. (Who could reduce staff to tears by the style of his questions, and had no teaching experience.) I don't know if Crockford's is still available in reference libraries, though. (Or indeed, if reference libraries are still available.)

[ 18. March 2017, 18:24: Message edited by: Penny S ]

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crockfords is on line. Search by surname here.

It appears to include retired clergy, who have permission to officiate.

Hope this helps...

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2704 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016