homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Hope This Helps: General Enquiries 2017

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Hope This Helps: General Enquiries 2017
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have to ask a question and it doesn't fit neatly into any other category here, toss it onto this thread and see if anyone knows the answer.

Last year's General Enquiries thread has been locked.

[ 08. January 2017, 18:05: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7201 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friend's AP is finding the cleared tile and lino floors slippery to walk on. Does anyone have an idea about stuff we could lay to provide an easily cleanable non-slip surface? I've looked at plastic carpet protection drugget from Argos, but it says it is slippery on hard surfaces, which would defeat the object. I have a plastic thingy for putting in the bath for a secure stand under the shower, but it wouldn't be flat, would be too small, and would be a trip hazard itself.
This would be for the kitchen and the hallway.
We don't want her putting newspaper down again.

[ 13. January 2017, 21:36: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never tried this but have often seen the suggestion on US knitting sites. If she wears slippers inside it is often suggested to put puffy paint on the soles to stop slides. No idea how well that works.

I use a cane outside and walking to lift is along tiled walkway. I am careful to avoid any wet or even damp places. Even a bit of moisture on rubber at end of cane can cause it to slide on tile. I must have picked up a bit of grease the other day in car park and there was same result.

She needs to make sure there is absolutely nothing greasy or wet on floor.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 8502 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure what she wears indoors - because of her leg problems she wears Crocs ouside. I have slippers which have rubberised bits on the soles, which work well, but we would need a large size.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do not know how well it works but there is this spray on Amazon.

You might also look at the other things linked to on that page.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Walking 18 miles to help Refugees get an education.

Posts: 20232 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think she has to change what she is wearing on her feet. If you try to change the flooring somehow, anything you put down will also slip. A yoga mat on the floor works really well for being anti-slip but you couldn't do the whole floor.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2191 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Thank you - the floor surfaces are narrow, it's a galley kitchen, so mats would work. I'll have a look out for them.
I don't think the stone stuff would work on the lino, and it sounds a bit risky in confined places. The matting on the Amazon page is initially interesting, but the texture would not be easy to clean, which is the other thing to be taken into account.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about carpet tiles? They are not expensive and can easily be taken up to clean spillages etc. And they shouldn't slip if you get them laid properly in the first place.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3039 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Hmmm. We are nowhere near being able to lay them yet. Nice idea, though.
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother-in-law use to put large soft rubber bands around her soft slipper in the house. It seemed to work in making her feel less like she might slip.

--------------------
Notice to police, Should my body ever be found on a jogging trail, know that I was murdered elsewhere and my body dumped there."

Posts: 2483 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In addition to mats you can get rubberized tiles with round dots to prevent skids. Some are self adhesive peel and stick if you have a small area to do. The soft rubber is pretty cleanable and gentle on the feet.
Posts: 2891 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Non-skid bathtub strips? There are also non-skid coatings that you can paint on. BUT I don't know how toxic they are. And some of them have grit in them, which could be a problem if she ever goes barefoot.

You might also check sites for/about seniors, like AARP.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 16397 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Thanks for the suggestions. I am pointing her to the Red Cross who do work with helping people to stay in their homes independently. The hospital has already suggested them for other things, and she seems happy to consider help from that direction.
Feet have bandages on, so barefoot unlikely.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting. AFAIK, the Red Cross doesn't do that kind of work in the US.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 16397 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golden Key noted.
quote:
nteresting. AFAIK, the Red Cross doesn't do that kind of work in the US.

Perhaps they do not because visiting nurses do safety checks in home . At least that is true in California.

--------------------
Notice to police, Should my body ever be found on a jogging trail, know that I was murdered elsewhere and my body dumped there."

Posts: 2483 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

It's time limited work, not long term.

Aldi are selling yoga mats for £4.99, information I shall pass on.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016