homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Hope This Helps: General Enquiries 2017 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hope This Helps: General Enquiries 2017
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just tried the link. You need to be subscribed to be able to see anything interesting.

ETA: Dammit, I hate it when a post appears at the top of the page. I was referring to TonyK's link to Crockfords.

[ 18. March 2017, 18:50: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12846 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks - found his name in a few seconds from the link, but the £35 subscription to get the details is a bit steep. I'll ask around my friends for a favour. Or possibly a library.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 891 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your local Anglican parish priest might have a copy, or know someone who does. There are no data protection issues in letting someone know what's in Crockford. If you don't already know what your Anglican parish is, and you are based in England, then A church near you will give you the information you want if you enter your post code.
Posts: 3281 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
\0/
/0\

Has anyone ever encountered this symbol, more hexagrammatic than I can achieve here, as a precursor to the magen David, with alleged roots in Canaanite culture, symbolizing a sexual encounter?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17009 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
\./
/.\

The 'heads' are more dot-like.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17009 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin-

Not that specific one. *But*, AIUI, in Hindu yantras, downward triangle is feminine and upward is masculine (Wikipedia). Joining the two represents joining the two energies.

When I first came across that and considered the Star of David, I started wondering about connections. I don't know what it means, if it means anything.

You might also check out the Wikipedia articles on "Hexagrams", "Star of David", and "Sacred Geometry".

Good luck!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18177 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shubenacadie
Shipmate
# 5796

- Posted      Profile for Shubenacadie   Email Shubenacadie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Thanks - found his name in a few seconds from the link, but the £35 subscription to get the details is a bit steep. I'll ask around my friends for a favour. Or possibly a library.

It's possible that your public library authority may have an online subscription, in which case if you're a library member you may be able to get access using your membership. (A quick look indicates that my local library authority don't offer Crockford's, but there are quite a lot of reference works that I can log in to from home, plus some more accessible only in libraries).
Posts: 54 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shubenacadie:
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:

It's possible that your public library authority may have an online subscription, in which case if you're a library member you may be able to get access using your membership. (A quick look indicates that my local library authority don't offer Crockford's, but there are quite a lot of reference works that I can log in to from home, plus some more accessible only in libraries).
All good advice - thank you. Luckily, I found one little google reference that let me make the connection via another person, and we are back in touch. A happy day.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 891 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’ve been wondering (for no particular reason) if there is a group name for the percussion instruments that are made up of a row of wooden or metal bars that are struck by a hammer -- other than referring to them as "xylophony-marimba-y, type thingies." Percussionists must have some name for them, I would think.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9547 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps Percussion Idiophone?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2678 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Perhaps Percussion Idiophone?

That's still rather broad, since it includes triangles, wood blocks, etc. Maybe no such term exists.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about Keyboard Percussion Instruments?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19769 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
How about Keyboard Percussion Instruments?

I think you've got it! Thanks so much!
[Overused]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we used to call them pitched percussion when using them at school for Carl Orff method. That would include chime bars which are not arranged like a keyboard, but come separately, and the xylophones, glockenspiels and so one with a single range of notes, with different key signatures achieved by changing the bars, rather than having what would be the black notes as a separate range.
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Thanks Golden Key.

--------------------
Love wins

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you dial for an international call from the US to the UK? - The UK country code is 0044, but do Americans need to add anything in front?

Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7275 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
What do you dial for an international call from the US to the UK? - The UK country code is 0044, but do Americans need to add anything in front?

Thanks! [Smile]

it's 011 44

44 is the country code; the 00 is the international access number in Europe; 011 is the NoAm version.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2147 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent! Many thanks, ThunderBunk, this helps greatly!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Also, after dialing 011 44, be sure to drop the first 0 or 1 of the phone number.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Yep, got that. At least that! Ta. [Big Grin]

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear all,

I have been asked to help find a book about which I know almost nothing, so naturally my thoughts turned to Shipmates. My googling has certainly proved inadequate to the task.

All I know is that it is a children's book about a little girl who lived in a caravan and was converted. It was given as a prize at Covenanters perhaps 60 years ago. But I don't know whether it was written for them or just given as a prize by them.

The only other thing I know is that it made its owner cry! (In a good way).

Thanks for any help.

M.

[ 02. April 2017, 16:32: Message edited by: M. ]

Posts: 2267 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only children's book about a girl in a caravan I recall is The Diddakoi by Rumer Godden, but I think this is too recent for your parameters.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5833 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, but yes, I think that's late 1960s, as you say, too late, Brenda.

M.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad (a long-time lurker but not registered) suggests A peep behind the scenes which I think we actually have lying around here somewhere.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17316 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Ooh, worth a try, thank you, Eutychus' father!

M.

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In advance of a big family elebration I am trying to work out the various relationships to explain to our grandson.
This is not made any easier by the fact that there are big age gaps between the oldest generation of siblings and, consequently, in the the next two/three generations. It's now difficult to remember who belongs in which generation.
The latest complication is that my sister-in-law (or half-sister-in-law?) has discovered that she has a half sister, and they will be meeting for the first time at this celebration.
Now I'm trying to find an explanation for the relationship between my husband and the half sister of his half-sister. I'm guessing that there isn't an actual official relationship - but maybe there is a way of expressing the link?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3048 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How old is the child? If he's big enough, a family tree would be useful.
If he's quite little, the all-encompassing word is 'cousin.' Or 'kin'.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5833 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can just say "she's a relative--it's complicated" if you like.

I seem to recall the old word for these kinds of relatives/not relatives is "connections".

[ 10. April 2017, 20:30: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19997 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We just say family.
Posts: 2613 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
How old is the child?

He's 15, but has what today they call "additional needs". He does like to have things nicely sorted into categories.
He know aunts, uncles & cousins OK, and has come across Great aunts & uncles, so it shouldn't really be a problem.
It's just that, having started thinking about this, I would quite like to know where everyone fits and to have it in my head, without having to consult the family tree every time we all meet up!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
I'm trying to find an explanation for the relationship between my husband and the half sister of his half-sister.

I don't see anything wrong with calling her an aunt.

--------------------
"Stop your noisy songs; I do not want to listen to your praise bands." -- Amos 5:23, Good News Bible (modified)

Posts: 10353 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, some of us are great uncles as well as great-uncles.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6775 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Of course, some of us are great uncles as well as great-uncles.

So my brother told us when we announced the arrival of our first child

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have on occasion resorted to such statements as "She is the daughter of my father's mother's sister's daughter"! Rather than try to work out what sort of cousin she is to me.

Meanwhile, manuka honey. Having seen the wondrous results worked by it on D, I thought it might be a good addition to my medical supplies, along with the Friars' Balsam, and the little licorice pellets for catarrh, and other such remedies. So I sought it out in the supermarket. And read each jar of the stuff, with its mysterious code of 5%, 10%, 15%, and its extraordinary prices. And was astonished at the labels which read "Not for external use". Why would that be? What would happen if I did use it externally? Its a reversal of the usual prohibitions on things. (I didn't buy any.)

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:

The latest complication is that my sister-in-law (or half-sister-in-law?) has discovered that she has a half sister, and they will be meeting for the first time at this celebration.
Now I'm trying to find an explanation for the relationship between my husband and the half sister of his half-sister. I'm guessing that there isn't an actual official relationship - but maybe there is a way of expressing the link?

You're right - there is no relationship. If you wanted to call her a cousin or a step-sister, it wouldn't be horrible, if you wanted a sort-of-vaguely-right family word.
Posts: 4900 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I have on occasion resorted to such statements as "She is the daughter of my father's mother's sister's daughter"! Rather than try to work out what sort of cousin she is to me.

Meanwhile, manuka honey. Having seen the wondrous results worked by it on D, I thought it might be a good addition to my medical supplies, along with the Friars' Balsam, and the little licorice pellets for catarrh, and other such remedies. So I sought it out in the supermarket. And read each jar of the stuff, with its mysterious code of 5%, 10%, 15%, and its extraordinary prices. And was astonished at the labels which read "Not for external use". Why would that be? What would happen if I did use it externally? Its a reversal of the usual prohibitions on things. (I didn't buy any.)

This is mostly guessing, but you've heard of honey having medical uses, and thought to go pick some up cheaper (not prescription like what I had), and how many other people are doing the same?

And parents are warned not to give babies honey during their first year for fear of botulism, I believe it was.

Putting those two together, I think the food manufacturers are avoiding liability from customers who try to use their not-medical-grade honey on open wounds.

[ 12. April 2017, 04:02: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

Posts: 19997 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might also be the possibility of attracting bees and other insects to honey used externally.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18177 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Oooh ouch! [Snigger]

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this site
quote:
Honey can become contaminated with germs from plants, bees, and dust during production, and also during collection and processing. Fortunately, the germ-fighting characteristics of honey ensure that most contaminating organisms cannot survive or reproduce. However, bacteria that reproduce using spores, including the bacterium that causes botulism, may remain. This explains why botulism has been reported in infants given honey by mouth. To solve this problem, medical-grade honey (Medihoney, for example) is irradiated to inactive the bacterial spores. Medical-grade honey is also standardized to have consistent germ-fighting activity. Some experts also suggest that medical-grade honey should be collected from hives that are free from germs and not treated with antibiotics, and that the nectar should be from plants that have not been treated with pesticides.

Posts: 3281 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I would have thought that botulism was more of a problem when ingested!

I haven't found anything on-line warning about it, apart from not giving it to babies on every makers' jars.

But I'm not going to buy it unless I need it. And then I'll try the health food shops.

They've stopped the honey now on the legs.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

To be fair, I've never heard of anybody being seriously harmed from having food grade honey spread on them. You could google, I suppose. But it may be one of those "let's get a warning on here, better safe than sued" situations.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. A lot of honey badged "Manuka" in shops is nothing of the sort: you're paying for a name.

2. Pasteurised honey doesn't have the same health benefits as raw honey: a honey sold as "organic" may still have been pasteurised filtered.

3. If you want to get the most health benefit from honey buy direct from someone who has their own hives and who sells raw honey. In the UK there are local beekeeping clubs and societies who may be able to help.

An old lady in the village had a lengthy stay in hospital and was sent home with an ulcer on her leg that had proved resistant to all treatment. The District Nurse would visit and apply various pharmaceutical unguents and bind it up; as soon as she had gone Peggy would take off the bandages, wash off the gunk and apply honey, only bothering to cover if she was going out to work in the garden (they breed then tough around here). The ulcer she'd been told might never heal had vanished in 6 weeks.

I'm not saying that is conclusive but it should be persuasive.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4720 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and, as an added benefit, raw honey tastes so much nicer!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
1. A lot of honey badged "Manuka" in shops is nothing of the sort: you're paying for a name.

2. Pasteurised honey doesn't have the same health benefits as raw honey: a honey sold as "organic" may still have been pasteurised filtered.

3. If you want to get the most health benefit from honey buy direct from someone who has their own hives and who sells raw honey. In the UK there are local beekeeping clubs and societies who may be able to help.

An old lady in the village had a lengthy stay in hospital and was sent home with an ulcer on her leg that had proved resistant to all treatment. The District Nurse would visit and apply various pharmaceutical unguents and bind it up; as soon as she had gone Peggy would take off the bandages, wash off the gunk and apply honey, only bothering to cover if she was going out to work in the garden (they breed then tough around here). The ulcer she'd been told might never heal had vanished in 6 weeks.

I'm not saying that is conclusive but it should be persuasive.

And that wasn't even manuka, presumably. There was a piece in the paper about the legal identification and classification of manuka being intruduced by the NZ government. Also the criminal behaviour of people aiming to make gains from other people's work with their bees.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stealing honey, or even complete sets of beehives is becoming more common as prices for manuka honey rise.

As I said elsewhere, some farmers are even planting manuka, which in the past has been eradicated from farm land.

After having seen the result of manuka honey on a badly ulcerated leg I would use it (this was bought from the supermarket before medical honey was developed).

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10169 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When do British panel shows come back on air?

'Have I Got News For You' is back [thank you YouTube people] but others seem to still be on hiatus. I was hoping for them to keep me entertained on these dark, long [relatively] wintry nights.

Posts: 7578 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I don't know if anyone here is in the area, but Foots Cray in Kent is now the home of a giant metal cube which looks like a Borg ship built of scaffolding tubes, hollow, but with some sort f screening on one side. It towers over the surrounding area, worse even than the giant heap of rubbish which was disfiguring the other side of the A20. I can't find out from the internet or the planning lists what on earth it is. Anyone know?
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my brothers has sent me a supermarket voucher for my birthday. I want to buy some shower gel, but I am concerned that some gels have small plastic beads in it that pollute the ocean. Does anyone know how they are described on the contents labels so I can avoid buying them please.

Huia

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are called microbeads or appear on the labels under a range of names - more information from the Marine Conservation site (pdf) the most common of which are listed as:
  • Polyethylene / Polythene (PE)
  • Polypropylene (PP)
  • Polyethylene terephthalate (PET)
  • Polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA)
  • Nylon

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13599 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks CK. I once, unknowingly bought a product containing them which languishes three-quarters full in a bathroom cupboard and I don't want to repeat the exercise.

Huia

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016