homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Hope This Helps: General Enquiries 2017 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hope This Helps: General Enquiries 2017
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just tried the link. You need to be subscribed to be able to see anything interesting.

ETA: Dammit, I hate it when a post appears at the top of the page. I was referring to TonyK's link to Crockfords.

[ 18. March 2017, 18:50: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"People don’t become better when they’re dead; you just talk about them as if they are. But it’s not true! People are still arseholes, they’re just dead arseholes!” - Lemmy

Posts: 12769 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks - found his name in a few seconds from the link, but the £35 subscription to get the details is a bit steep. I'll ask around my friends for a favour. Or possibly a library.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 776 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your local Anglican parish priest might have a copy, or know someone who does. There are no data protection issues in letting someone know what's in Crockford. If you don't already know what your Anglican parish is, and you are based in England, then A church near you will give you the information you want if you enter your post code.
Posts: 3124 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
\0/
/0\

Has anyone ever encountered this symbol, more hexagrammatic than I can achieve here, as a precursor to the magen David, with alleged roots in Canaanite culture, symbolizing a sexual encounter?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 15122 | From: More Corieltauvi than Dobunni now. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
\./
/.\

The 'heads' are more dot-like.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 15122 | From: More Corieltauvi than Dobunni now. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin-

Not that specific one. *But*, AIUI, in Hindu yantras, downward triangle is feminine and upward is masculine (Wikipedia). Joining the two represents joining the two energies.

When I first came across that and considered the Star of David, I started wondering about connections. I don't know what it means, if it means anything.

You might also check out the Wikipedia articles on "Hexagrams", "Star of David", and "Sacred Geometry".

Good luck!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 16763 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shubenacadie
Shipmate
# 5796

- Posted      Profile for Shubenacadie   Email Shubenacadie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Thanks - found his name in a few seconds from the link, but the £35 subscription to get the details is a bit steep. I'll ask around my friends for a favour. Or possibly a library.

It's possible that your public library authority may have an online subscription, in which case if you're a library member you may be able to get access using your membership. (A quick look indicates that my local library authority don't offer Crockford's, but there are quite a lot of reference works that I can log in to from home, plus some more accessible only in libraries).
Posts: 51 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shubenacadie:
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:

It's possible that your public library authority may have an online subscription, in which case if you're a library member you may be able to get access using your membership. (A quick look indicates that my local library authority don't offer Crockford's, but there are quite a lot of reference works that I can log in to from home, plus some more accessible only in libraries).
All good advice - thank you. Luckily, I found one little google reference that let me make the connection via another person, and we are back in touch. A happy day.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 776 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’ve been wondering (for no particular reason) if there is a group name for the percussion instruments that are made up of a row of wooden or metal bars that are struck by a hammer -- other than referring to them as "xylophony-marimba-y, type thingies." Percussionists must have some name for them, I would think.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 8700 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps Percussion Idiophone?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2433 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Perhaps Percussion Idiophone?

That's still rather broad, since it includes triangles, wood blocks, etc. Maybe no such term exists.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about Keyboard Percussion Instruments?

--------------------
"It's not so much the toes", said Piglet, "as the ears". A. A. Milne
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 18412 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
How about Keyboard Percussion Instruments?

I think you've got it! Thanks so much!
[Overused]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we used to call them pitched percussion when using them at school for Carl Orff method. That would include chime bars which are not arranged like a keyboard, but come separately, and the xylophones, glockenspiels and so one with a single range of notes, with different key signatures achieved by changing the bars, rather than having what would be the black notes as a separate range.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016