homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Hope This Helps: General Enquiries 2017 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hope This Helps: General Enquiries 2017
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are planning for the celebration of our Church centenary in September, and would like to try to contact some previous clergy [CofE context]. Crockfords on-line wants £50 for a subscription [Eek!] . I wonder whether any CofE shipmates already have a subscription for their own purposes, and would be happy to help with a little research, please? Best to PM me, rather than clog up the thread.

Thanks

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2506 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering whether microbeads can be mixed into soil. The nearest suggestion I can find to that is to put the products into landfill.
One idea is to continue using the product, but rinse into a bowl or similar, from where the water can be filtered before getting rid of the left overs safely.

Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone identify the piece of piano music Tokio Myers opened with at the BGT final :

Here, hopefully (at 1:31)

I know it, but just can't remember it!

Thanks.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone come across the following scam and can explain it to me?

A couple of weeks ago my parents received a piece of mail addressed to a name they didn't recognise. They popped it back in the post marked "Return to Sender - Not known at this address" A week later they received another piece of mail addressed to the same person, and they returned it likewise.

Last week their postman knocked on their door with a third letter to this person. He told them that he recognised it as part of a scam which is happening a lot in their area.

Apparently some people in London are taking out e.g. car insurance, but are getting cheaper premiums by claiming to live in a low crime area, such as my parents' home town. They can identify an address which has a garage and off street parking through google maps.

I understand that motor insurance is a legal obligation, and cheaper premiums must be attractive, but surely if someone had to put in a claim, it would immediately be obvious that the address was false, and their insurance invalid? At which point surely they would be charged with driving without insurance? Presumably these people are still paying out a three figure sum to acquire worthless insurance?

What is the point? And is this actually widespread?

Posts: 6334 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know someone who committed this scam (admittedly, using a relative's address) and the point of it is in the lower premiums BEFORE you get caught. Getting caught is not on their radar. She DID get into an accident, and was doing her damndest to settle with the other insurance company without having to report it to her own, for obvious reasons. Don't know how that turned out, hope she learnt something though.

If you wanted to put a stop to it, though, you could simply open the mail, find the insured's name and company, and call the company to let them know what's going on.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19956 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think that when the letter goes back to the insurance company with the message, "Return to sender--not known at this address', the company would start asking questions.

Moo

[ 03. July 2017, 00:16: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20108 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That, I'm afraid, is assuming the company cares about returned mail--that somebody has actually made examining such stuff a mailroom priority rather than saying "what's the point, I don't want to spend X to hire someone to do that work, it's not worth it"--which I fear many do.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19956 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ - the point is that your number plate comes up as 'insured' on the ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) cameras used by police in their vehicles and at roadside installations. If you come up 'un-insured' a police car will stop you, and a roadside installation will send you a summons. That is, if your V5 is registered to you at an address you live at - with online vehicle taxation I don't know if anyone is comparing the addresses on your V5 and insurance any more.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEQ, your parents may be caught up on the periphery of a "ghost broker" scam. Coincidentally I heard something on Radio 4's "You and yours" programme today about this. People receiving mail addressed to unknown people at their address was a feature of it.
Posts: 3215 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, everyone. I had assumed that anyone who wanted car insurance would want to have the documentation, but mark is right - if the insurance is just to avoid a car being picked up as uninsured, the documentation might as well end up in the Scottish Highlands.

The ghost broker scenario does sound likely, and fits with the postman saying that it is happening a lot in their area; I'll talk to my parents about it on my next visit.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My partner and me will be coming to the States later this year (we are eclipse chasers coming for the Big One in August) and planning to extend our trip afterward to take in several cities in the SW and California.

My question is: on internal flights in the US, how long before take off time do we need to be at the airport? We are used to leaving 3 hours for international flights from the UK, but what is the situation for internal USA flights?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3097 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: potential "ghost broker" scam.

For some time now the Royal Mail has not bothered with most mail marked "returned to sender" because it costs them time and money, so the company sending out the letters will be unaware that their missives are being sent to a bogus address.

NEQ The advice from police in my area is this: open the mail and note what it relates to. If it is anything to do with motor insurance, sent the mail back to the insurance company with a covering letter stating that you live at the address and that the addressee is unknown to you.

Send a second letter to DVLA, enclosing a copy of your letter to the insurance company, and head it up "Possible motor insurance fraud" and they can take it from there,

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4580 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the subject of motor insurance please remember that about one-third of vehicles are uninsured or incorrectly/illegally insured (so they may as well not be insured. South Wales is a particularly bad area for this.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 23878 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
on internal flights in the US, how long before take off time do we need to be at the airport?

The general rule is two hours.

But it depends on the airport, the time of day, and the day of the week. In major airports in major cities, you can luck out and arrive at the gate when there is little or no line, and breeze right through. On the other hand, I've stood in lines that snake out the entrance door and down the sidewalk.

In what are euphemistically called regional airports (smaller airports catering to smaller aircraft), I've hardly ever experienced a long line.

If you're lucky enough to be traveling first class, or if your boarding pass is marked "TSA Precheck", you generally get the privilege of standing in a much shorter line.

Regardless, I like to arrive at the airport at least two hours beforehand. The more time you give yourself, the less likely you will be to miss your flight.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10186 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, that is helpful. One or two of the airports are what I would guess are small (Flagstaff and Phoenix) but we will also be going through Las Vegas, LA and San Francisco.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3097 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are apps, or web sites, that you can go to to see how your airport is doing on any particular day. Another annoying factor is the ones you cannot control. If there is a major disruption in air traffic, demonstrations about immigration at the airport, a terrorist incident anywhere -- all this gums up the works.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5277 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks, that is helpful. One or two of the airports are what I would guess are small (Flagstaff and Phoenix) but we will also be going through Las Vegas, LA and San Francisco.

Actually, the Phoenix airport is large and has had horrendous crowds (and waiting times), especially if something major (e.g., a football championship) is happening here. Do allow at least two hours.

When will you be in Phoenix? There are several Shipmates here who would love a Meet if the timing is right.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9263 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Actually, the Phoenix airport is large and has had horrendous crowds (and waiting times), especially if something major (e.g., a football championship) is happening here. Do allow at least two hours.

When will you be in Phoenix? There are several Shipmates here who would love a Meet if the timing is right.

We are actually only changing planes in Phoenix, en route from Salt Lake City (where our eclipse tour finishes) to Flagstaff where we are going to see the Meteor crater and the Lowell Observatory.
This is definitely an astronomy themed trip!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We are actually only changing planes in Phoenix, en route from Salt Lake City (where our eclipse tour finishes) to Flagstaff where we are going to see the Meteor crater and the Lowell Observatory.
This is definitely an astronomy themed trip!

I just looked up the date of the eclipse, and it seems like I'll be passing through Sky Harbor (the Phoenix airport) during it. I'll be headed for Chicago, leaving Phoenix around noon, so it looks as if I'll be flying through the path of it. Should be interesting. (And no, I do know better than to watch it from the plane window.)

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Has anyone come across the following scam and can explain it to me?

A couple of weeks ago my parents received a piece of mail addressed to a name they didn't recognise. They popped it back in the post marked "Return to Sender - Not known at this address" A week later they received another piece of mail addressed to the same person, and they returned it likewise.

Last week their postman knocked on their door with a third letter to this person. He told them that he recognised it as part of a scam which is happening a lot in their area.

Apparently some people in London are taking out e.g. car insurance, but are getting cheaper premiums by claiming to live in a low crime area, such as my parents' home town. They can identify an address which has a garage and off street parking through google maps.

I understand that motor insurance is a legal obligation, and cheaper premiums must be attractive, but surely if someone had to put in a claim, it would immediately be obvious that the address was false, and their insurance invalid? At which point surely they would be charged with driving without insurance? Presumably these people are still paying out a three figure sum to acquire worthless insurance?

What is the point? And is this actually widespread?

They are people who see insurance as an unfortunate legal requirement, rather than as something that will pay out in the event of a claim. They assume they will not have an accident, or don't consider the possibility. All they are bothered about is getting their reg no. on the PNC for the lowest possible outlay.

[ 05. July 2017, 07:16: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17427 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not heard of this, although one understands that the cost of insurance is so high in many areas that people will do anything to bring it down, especially as the fines for being found out are far too low (less than the cost of "proper" insurance).

What puzzles me is that the address of the Insured and the address of the Registered Keeper would be very different. One presumes that the DVLA would pick that up - but perhaps they don't, as I suppose lots of cars are owned by leasing companies etc. whose addresses are legitimately quite different from the addresses of the people who drive them.

Posts: 9140 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A non-Christian friend in Glastonbury reports that today (Saturday) the streets are full of clergymen. Is there a vicar convention or something taking place there?

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, just a pilgrimage due to this legend

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Walking 18 miles to help Refugees get an education.

Posts: 20540 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shame it's just Forward in Faith. In former days it was for all Anglicans.

[ 09. July 2017, 16:51: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 22958 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't there a cycling thread somewhere on the Ship? Is there one now? Haven't been able to find it yet if it's there! - Thanks for your hints and links. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7214 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A culinary request this, but not a recipe. Having for the second time this week had to prepare a seedless fruit puree for icecream (goosegogs and elderflower this time) by rubbing through a sieve with a spoon, I have started to think about getting a mouli food mill.

Would this be quicker and/or less effort than the sieving, and produce a comparable result or better? £25 is quite a lot for something that might get to the back of the cupboard when I don't have to bother about seeds.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Would you use it for other things? I have one I would give you, but the postage across the Pond would be destructive. Before you go buy a new one, poke around on line. Can you buy a used one on Ebay? Post a Wanted on your local Freecycle group? Is there a Yard Sale group on Facebook in your town? Take a tour of all the local charity shops?

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Wasn't there a cycling thread somewhere on the Ship? Is there one now? Haven't been able to find it yet if it's there! - Thanks for your hints and links. [Smile]

I seem to remember a cycling thread...somewhere! After a quick look, I don't see it, either. Might be time to start one up, Wesley J!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17710 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Would you use it for other things? I have one I would give you, but the postage across the Pond would be destructive. Before you go buy a new one, poke around on line. Can you buy a used one on Ebay? Post a Wanted on your local Freecycle group? Is there a Yard Sale group on Facebook in your town? Take a tour of all the local charity shops?

There's a lot in there that suggests I'm better off with the sieve!
Haven't seen one in the charity shops of late. And I wouldn't want one which did not come with a box and indications of not having been used - too many nooks and crannies which I would not know the contents of!

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Hmm. How urgent is your need? I may be coming to the UK again.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

V urgent, I'm afraid. I have realised it would be better than my stick blender for the veg which I have to reduce to mush. That requires more to mush than is wanted. I went to get one yesterday and found, after I had used the new improved ordering process in the shop that it wouldn't arrive for several days. There is another possible source.
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Urgent help needed please. Me and my partner are here in the US to see the eclipse and now about to leave our tour and head out on our own. I was planning to rely heavily on my mobile phone for calling for taxis etc, but I have been having problems trying to use it ever since we arrived.

Specifically my main problem is knowing exactly what numbers to input when calling a number here such as a taxi firm. Do I need to dial the full 001 first as if calling from the UK? And do I need do drop any of the digits of the US number?

Any help very much appreciated please.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

If you're in the US you need to dial 1, then the 3-digit area code, and then the seven digits of the actual phone number. If you're having real difficulty, see if you can find a phone store -- Verizon or T-Mobile or whoever your provider is --for technical assistance. The cheapest solution may be to buy a very cheap phone just for use within the US.
If you're near Washington DC and need crash space, pm me.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

So I drop the 00? I was told before leaving the UK that I needed to dial the full number including 00 as if I was calling from the UK.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
So I drop the 00? I was told before leaving the UK that I needed to dial the full number including 00 as if I was calling from the UK.

Nope -- no "00", just a "1". Good luck!

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

No, you should not need to dial 00. 1 is sufficient, and sometimes you don't even need the 1.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Thanks for this, we managed to get our phones working ok for calling taxis etc.

Currently in Flagstaff about to set off for the airport, Las Vegas via Phoenix.

We can neither of us get over how polite, helpful and just downright kind Americans are! We are loving it.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my goals this year has been to learn more about African history, specifically pre- colonial history.But I find a dearth of literature on that subject. Can anyone steer me toward some good reading material?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6229 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
One of my goals this year has been to learn more about African history, specifically pre- colonial history.But I find a dearth of literature on that subject. Can anyone steer me toward some good reading material?

This is one of my areas of interest because I live in South Africa but it is a complex subject with many different and differing approaches. I have done studies in prehistoric rock art of the San hunters and gatherers. I used the research of David Lewis-Williams and Harriet & Jeanette Deacon.

[Deacon, H.J. & Deacon, J. 1999. Human beginnings in South Africa]
[Lewis-Williams, J.D. and D. Pierce 2004. San Spirituality: Roots, Expression and Social Consequences]

Shula Marks and Terence Ranger have done research into the pastoral communities or pre-colonial southern Africa and Zimbabwe. Earlier work was done by Monica Wilson and Leonard Thompson on prehistory of African rural communities.

I've also looked at histories of African art -- the making of masks, drums, textiles, sculptures etc. I used Fall, N’goné and Jean Loup Pivin (eds). 2002. An anthology of African art in the twentieth century.

One of the most influential books (not a light read) is THE CAMBRIDGE HISTORY OF SOUTH AFRICA: Volume 1 edited by Robert Ross, ­Carolyn Hamilton and Benard K Mbenga; Volume 2 edited by Robert Ross, Anne Kelk Mager and Bill Nasson (Cambridge University Press).

A vast and complex field -- is there a particular angle you'd like to follow up?

In terms of Protestant missionary work and the development of the church in South Africa, there is John de Gruchy's The Church Struggle in South Africa, updated I believe in 2005.

[ 28. August 2017, 07:38: Message edited by: MaryLouise ]

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 435 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
No, you should not need to dial 00. 1 is sufficient, and sometimes you don't even need the 1.

I've always dialled "+1". (You can dial the plus symbol, usually you get it by holding down one of the other keys. On an iPhone you hold 0 for a few seconds and it gives you a plus.)

That works no matter what country you're in at the time.

Posts: 2371 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Another question ... we are now in LA and want to see the Queen Mary. We don't drive, but we thought it looked possible to get to Long Beach by metro. But I can't see where we go from there. Is there a bus, or do we need to get a taxi?

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MaryLouise: Thank you. My interest is general...it was originally piqued while reading about some of the civilizations in northern Africa -- kingdoms like Adsum -- but I'm interested in it all, really.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6229 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was reading a news article in a local paper that stated that more soldiers died in the American Civil War than have died in all subsequent wars in which American soldiers have fought including both WWI and II, Korea and Vietnam.

Does anyone know if this is accurate please?

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9965 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect it is. The figure I recall for Civil War dead is 750,000 from both sides. Most of the deaths were from contagious diseases, such as measles. Many soldiers came from isolated communities where they had never been exposed to what are frequently called 'childhood diseases'. If better care had been available, the death rate would have been much lower.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20108 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This was before antibiotics, before immunization (except for smallpox) and before decent field medicine existed. Germ theory was unknown, sanitary practices vestigial. So mortality was very high. A huge leap in emergency medicine took place during the first World War.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Moo and Brenda.

I didn't think about the contagious diseases and soldiers who came from isolated places, Moo. I once taught New Entrants in a country school and there were more children absent in my class than any of the other 3 for the same reason. I even caught measles which I had avoided until then.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9965 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Complete change of subject. In among all the heap of books were the scattered sections of a 1904 "An Introduction to Folk-Lore" by Marian Roalfe Cox, published by David Nutt (President of the Folk-Lore Society) and dedicated to Edward Clodd.

I found all but the pages 177 to 192 which covered the veneration of serpents, and the abode of spirits associated with burial, mountain-burial and sacred mountain-tops - Soul must climb steep hill = Glass-mountains - "Terrible crystal" and other solid firmaments... and other otherworldly stuff. (Wonderful Victorian contents list at the front.)

Naturally, I have found this section more interesting than any of the rest - I've read so many stories in which the heroines climb glassy mountains, but I thought I could track down the ideas on the web.

But they aren't there.

Does anyone have any sources I could access on the connection between folk tales and beliefs about the fate of the dead?

[ 31. August 2017, 13:53: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

My first thought would be to go straight back to the Folklore Society, if it still exists.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have discovered that the author mentions the glass mountains earlier as well, and it seems that they may be part of the journey to the abode of the dead, which makes all the stories of heroines (usually) and the odd hero climbing them versions of Ishtar going to rescue her lover, and Orpheus trying to rescue Eurydice.
Which means that my interpretation of many of those stories having to do with the male character being imprisoned by his mother (there is always a wicked woman, of unidentified relationship to the man) in the manner of Cupid being released from Venus by the actions of Psyche, may be wrong.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

There is an entry in our church records in 1720 which reads "Payment to smith for mending the bell rackle" (or it might be raickle).

What is a bell rackle / raickle?

We don't know exactly when our bell was made, but other bells by the same maker are dated between 1713 and 1717. There is an entry in the records in 1713 recording a payment to the smith for mending the bell tow, which I assume was the bell rope.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016