homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Hope This Helps: General Enquiries 2017 (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hope This Helps: General Enquiries 2017
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
The boy . . . is slapped and called wicked.

A method of discipline that has, alas, fallen into disrepute.

[Miss Amanda shields herself in her wrap and slinks off.]

--------------------
"Stop your noisy songs; I do not want to listen to your praise bands." -- Amos 5:23, Good News Bible (modified)

Posts: 10353 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was about eight, my mother brought home a used typewriter, much like this one, and I thought it was the greatest thing ever. I started to write the great American novel, "The Silver Horse."

Despite the fact that I was eight years old and knew nothing about horses I'm sure it would have been wonderful if it had ever been completed (I think I may have finished a page or two). There probably would have been bidding wars for the movie rights. I'm sure your niece would have loved it.

My apologies for depriving the world (and your niece) of this masterpiece.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9545 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No plans to pick it up again? The world is waiting...

[Smile]

---

Anotther question. I read this in an article, on politics:
quote:
Despite our politics running like the inner workings of a Danish castle, the commentary on it runs like the council notices of The Wooropna Advertiser – a dutiful, deathful, exhausting documentation of tactics, manoeuvres, spin and public relations.
I take it the bolded phrase means "well"? Or not? Where does it come from?
Posts: 7578 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone here play recreational football/soccer? Or knows someone who does? I'd like to get a pretty good quality ball for my niece and her husband for Christmas but don't know anything about equipment except that a ball for adults is size 5. I read that there are pro types, training types, turf types plus some others. I believe they play on public park grounds.

Much obliged for recommendations. [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21310 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
No plans to pick it up again? The world is waiting...

[Smile]

---

Anotther question. I read this in an article, on politics:
quote:
Despite our politics running like the inner workings of a Danish castle, the commentary on it runs like the council notices of The Wooropna Advertiser – a dutiful, deathful, exhausting documentation of tactics, manoeuvres, spin and public relations.
I take it the bolded phrase means "well"? Or not? Where does it come from?
My guess would be Hamlet- and thus not so well.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21310 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the context of the rest of that article, Ian, I wonder if it's a Hamlet reference?
Posts: 289 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How embarrassing. Hamlet never crossed my mind, uncultured uncouth person I am. Makes perfect sense. Thank you both.
Posts: 7578 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the reference to things Shakespearean, a question which popped onto my mind* when I was feeding the cat this morning, was about Mark Anthony's Friends, Romans, Countrymen speech where he talks about letting slip "the dogs of war." After the question of why not the cats of war? (because Georgie-Porgy can be fairly fierce at times), I wondered whether it was an allusion to mythology, or if fighting dogs [I]were actually used in warfare.

Can anyone throw any light on this please?

* I never cease to be amazed, and delighted, about how weird my mind is about making connections.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10169 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry about the coding, when I tried to correct it I quoted myself instead - clearly a quality mind at work [Hot and Hormonal] .

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10169 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dogs trained for hunting can easily be turned to war. They use dogs to this day, in police and military work.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5833 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One suggestion would be because dogs are pack animals and cats are not. This is because wars are fought between armies not individuals.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20716 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read that "cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war" were the last words of Alexander the Great--when he was asked who should take over for him. Presumably meaning "let them fight it out, and winner take all".

Shakespeare must have borrowed it. Dunno if Alexander borrowed it before him, too.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18177 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, they were 'to the strongest.' Whether that meant kratistos, 'to the strongest of my generals' or Krateros, one of his main generals, is a question.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Shakespeare must have borrowed it. Dunno if Alexander borrowed it before him, too.

Shakespeare did borrow it, but it is believed he borrowed it from Plutarch's Lives. Alex may have, as well.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2678 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re "dogs of war" quote:

I'm still poking around in search-land, but the situation is complicated.

Wikipedia's article on Alexander said one particular author gave the "to the strong" quote. Plutarch and someone else said A was likely too weak to speak, by that point.

It's possible I picked up the quote from an epsidode of "Smallville"! (IMDB) LOL!!!

quote:
Lionel Luthor: When Alexander the Great was dying his generals asked him who he would leave his armies to and his answer was "I leave it to the strongest."

Lex Luthor: I believe the term is "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!"

Lionel Luthor: You're not my enemy. You're my son!

Lex Luthor: Funny, I never saw the distinction.

[Hot and Hormonal] [Killing me]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18177 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
“ ...and at his heels,
Leashed in like hounds, should famine, sword, and fire
Crouch for employment.”

I mean, can you imagine cats in there? And at his heels a bunch of cats stroll, stretch, sleep and lick their bums.

Posts: 17253 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago when my daughters took voice lessons, their teacher had tiny lozenges which he gave them when they had colds. These lozenges made it much easier for them to sing.

My rector, who is recovering from a severe respiratory infection, is scheduled to sing Evensong on Sunday. He's hoping his voice holds out.

Can anyone tell me the name of these lozenges and where he can get them?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20260 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the UK, they are called Vocalzones, and taste foul but work wonders. Available from chemists (or drugstores to you!)

--------------------
Searching for a new sig...

Posts: 9161 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks.

Does anyone know whether they are called by that name in America? Also, they may not be available at any pharmacy in the boonies, where I live. Can they be procured over the internet?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20260 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vocalzones are small round throat pastilles, and do appear to be available online within the USA. A similar product goes under the name of Bel Canto. Some people prefer Vigroids (formerly Nigroids), Mighty Imps, or Nipits (all liquorice pellets) as they are smaller and more easily tucked away in the mouth, or swallowed, at short notice. Of those, at a glance, only Nipits appear to be available in the USA. I don’t think you have time to have them shipped from the UK.

[ 06. December 2017, 13:55: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Posts: 3281 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
... Can they be procured over the internet?

Moo

It appears so.

Vocalzone

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7753 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Thanks, everyone.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Spouse has told me that she'd like a tortiere for Christmas Day. (Maybe in preparation for fleeing over the border at some point?) Anyway, this request has morphed into a Canadian Christmas dinner. Any suggestions for side dishes -- Quebecois or otherwise? DS is going to make butter tarts for dessert ( not up to attempting a Buche de Noel).

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6356 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why should long tail tits deliberately fly or knock on my windows?

This has only started happening this year.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20716 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Dear Spouse has told me that she'd like a tortiere for Christmas Day.

I read this as "torture" initially and was about to suggest this might be over-sharing.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17720 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:

Jengie

Have you started using a different window cleaner that might, perhaps, have an attractive scent?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2678 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Jengie

They think their reflection is a friend/rival and are trying to chase it away.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12740 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Not really the one today could clearly see me through the glass as it flew away as soon as I went through and it was pecking not flying at.

The flying at the window was almost staged. Two of them equal side of the centre bar would sit on the railing of the Juliet balcony and alternately fly up six inches to the window and then fly down again to sit on the rail.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Two of them equal side of the centre bar would sit on the railing of the Juliet balcony ...

But soft, what birds through yonder window peck?

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9545 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question for any wine experts out there ...

I have frequently seen the advice that if you have a small amount of wine left over (!) you can freeze it in ice cube trays and use later in sauces etc. Well, a couple of weeks ago just before I was due to go away on holiday, I found myself with half a bottle of red wine left over. I put it in a plastic milk bottle and froze it.

So my question is, would it be drinkable or only usable for cooking?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3122 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You could taste it, but IMO the loss of quality will be drastic. Of course if it was just plonk at the beginning it might not be very noticeable.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Half wine and half tomatoes from a tin can of whatever proportions you can muster. Boil than simmer as long as you like. Not required, but good: dash of cayenne, perhaps dash of salt, some leafy herb dried or fresh. Simple. Use as a sauce with virtually anything (any meat, any type of dried beans, over pasta, with rice, potatoes, even with apples and cherries).

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11182 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
You could taste it, but IMO the loss of quality will be drastic. Of course if it was just plonk at the beginning it might not be very noticeable.

It was plonk ... I'll report back!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3122 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A great thing to do with not-very-good red wine is to make an ice cream sauce out of it. Simmer with some sugar and cinnamon until it's syrupy, serve over vanilla ice cream.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Well I am no wine expert, but it tasted ok to me. I had a glass earlier today and I am not dead yet!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016