homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Whom Do You Thank? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Whom Do You Thank?
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:
In my teens I was like the woman Piglet knew, and saw door-opening as an act of male condescension to a poor weak woman.

I've also seen it used as an act of dominance, male to male.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 15491 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure, it can be misused--but that's rare in my experience. When in doubt, put the best construction on it.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19540 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:

Since then I've mellowed a lot and am grateful for people who hold a door open, offer me a seat etc. without bothering whether it's because I'm female or (as I now am) oldish.

Just in the last year there have been a few instances in which schoolkids have offered me seats on public transport, which I accept gracefully to acknowledge their kindness, but which is utterly mystifying because I am not old and I don't look old - I DON"T, I DON"T, I TELL YOU!
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
During the time I lived in Los Angeles I rode the buses regularly. There was one particular woman I would always see on one of the routes I took. She always would say "Thank you, Driver" when getting off the bus.

If she says "Thank you, Drive" (without the 'r') she was probably from South Wales!

--------------------
If someone takes a shot at President Trump will his bodyguards shout "Donald Duck"?

Posts: 23626 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016