homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Oh, how beautiful - the garden thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oh, how beautiful - the garden thread
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Gardens are not made by singing 'Oh, how beautiful,' and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

After years of languishing on the waiting list, I will be taking over a 10'x10' organic garden plot in March. I had no idea I'd get such a large plot; the ones at my church are 3'x6'. So I hadn't dreamed beyond tomatoes and basil. I will put plenty of tomatoes and herbs! But now I'm starting to daydream about whole salad bowls of my own produce.

Anyone else making spring garden plans?

Posts: 24368 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
"Gardens are not made by singing 'Oh, how beautiful,' and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

Unfortunately!
I am currently suffering with aches and pains in shoulders, hands, back & hips after too much garden preparation (erecting raised beds, and starting to fill them with a mixture of last years potting compost, sieved soil and bagsof fresh compost) The joints & muscles were painful enough to keep me awake last night, but easier today. Luckily we have a few days of high winds and lower temperature to make me stay indoors recuperating.

I am enjoying seeing the spring flowers I brought here from my old garden coming into bloom. They sat in crowded pots, neglected, for a year before being planted last autumn, so I'm really pleased at how well they are doing - Unlike the bulbs I bough locally (and expensively) and planted at the same time, they are showing very little inclination to peep above the ground.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3045 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ruth--

Congrats! [Smile]

FYI: Be mindful of group politics and dynamics in a community garden. I had a plot, long ago. Lots of "big frog in a small pond" stuff; a coup; people staying trying to stay under the radar of the big frogs; bullying several people who didn't quite fit, taking things (trees, plants, artwork) from their plots, and driving them out. Seriously. And I've heard of that elsewhere, too.

I don't want to spoil your mood and experience; but I figure if you know what might happen, you can watch out for it.

Best of luck!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17655 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Be mindful of group politics and dynamics in a community garden. I had a plot, long ago. Lots of "big frog in a small pond" stuff; a coup; people staying trying to stay under the radar of the big frogs; bullying several people who didn't quite fit, taking things (trees, plants, artwork) from their plots, and driving them out. Seriously. And I've heard of that elsewhere, too.
So "You're closer to God's heart in a garden than in any place on earth"? Sounds just like most churches! [Devil]
Posts: 9221 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Heidelberg, where my son lives - most people live in flats. So they buy gardens on the outskirts of the city, a pleasant cycle ride away. They own the plots which are various sizes, the average being about 30 metres by 60 meters. Some rent them too. They have electricity and water and can build sheds, greenhouses etc. They each have boar and rabbit-proof fencing as it's very near the forest. Some have bigger plots with polly tunnels and small market gardens, often growing veggies, sunflowers etc. It's great to see the bikes with food and wine in their baskets heading for their gardens. They get lovely weather in the summer too - I couldn't be more jealous!

People often have BBQs and parties in the summer in their gardens, they have all sorts of artwork on their gates to identify their gardens for visitors.

My MIL left all her money to my sons ( [Roll Eyes] ) and he has saved his to spend his a garden.

Beautiful and civilised!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12546 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
at this time of year I'm still just sticking my head out occasionally to make sure the garden's still there! Mind you I did hack back the last of the buddleia the other week, at the cost of near frostbite.

However, March is rolling round - I need to sort out the raised beds ready for the next round of potatoes, tomatoes, etc, I've got a green beans wigwam that needs a bit of TLC, and a patch of the lawn wants re-seeding. My lawn runs along the edge of a field, which is then clear of buildings for about 5 miles. There's no fence, just a 2.5 foot drop from the field down into my garden. Unfortunately during the growing season this requires constant vigilance to remove unwelcome blown-in interloper seeds. Particularly when the barley's full grown.

It ends up taking over my life!

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1336 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've placed my regular order of yellow courgette plants and climbing French bean plants.
I know it's cheaper to buy the seeds but apart from windowsills I don't have the space to raise them.
Also ordered basil and parsley plants and nicotiana flowers.
So looking forward to the warmer weather!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5227 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've bought my seed potatoes. Unfortunately none of the garden centres near here is stocking Pentland Crown this year. In fact the selection of main crop potatoes is woeful.

Memo to self - order online next January.

Posts: 977 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have had a record-breaking mild winter, scarcely any snow at all. And so my hope is that this year my fig tree will not have died right down to the ground. And if this is so, then there is, at last, some hope that I may get a fig from it! Every year I have muttered the relevant text from the Gospels to it, and if this year it is fruitless it is going to go. Because I can't imagine that we could get better conditions.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5356 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's deeply muddy out there. I have gone out and done my daily digging. My wellies (actually Mr C's Christmas present from his Mum, but he wasn't home) are now dripping in the garage. I want my plastic tent style greenhouse up and securely pegged this month so I can plant beans.

Mr C has started threatening to do landscaping, but thankfully his actions are lagging behind his words. I don't want him to build permanent raised beds and pave bits until I've decided where I want them.

Last year I got pitifully little in the way of tomatoes. This year I'm more prepared with a heater to use if the temperature keep dropping at night into May as it did last year.

Cattyish, dreaming of broccoli.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1788 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cattyish:

Mr C has started threatening to do landscaping, but thankfully his actions are lagging behind his words. I don't want him to build permanent raised beds and pave bits until I've decided where I want them..

Oh, they will do that, won't they!!
I had intended to get the house sorted last summer, and plan the garden during the winter, but Mr lil just couldn't leave it alone, so I've had to keep rushing out to the garden to save the things I expect to use and to keep ahead of his need to rid the garden of everything but grass.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Ruth--

Congrats! [Smile]

FYI: Be mindful of group politics and dynamics in a community garden. I had a plot, long ago. Lots of "big frog in a small pond" stuff; a coup; people staying trying to stay under the radar of the big frogs; bullying several people who didn't quite fit, taking things (trees, plants, artwork) from their plots, and driving them out. Seriously. And I've heard of that elsewhere, too.

Just like a church, then, huh? [Biased]

I had a small plot some years ago at my church, and I gave it up because the soil was chock full of nutgrass and because someone kept watering my tomatoes. I'd go over after work and find that someone had watered my plot since the last time I'd been there, but of course I couldn't tell when exactly or how much water had been run. The irregular watering did my tomatoes no good, and I spent the whole summer doing little but weeding. [Mad]

Posts: 24368 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ruth--

Yup, re church. [Biased] I'd been thinking that, too, but I wasn't sure what *your* church was like.

Maybe try mulch or ground cover, this time?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17655 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been a busy weekend - somewhat enforced by upcoming family woe, sadly.

This weekend I have:

Laid a cotoneaster hedge - not well, but given, my lack of experience and the dodgy starting material, it will have to do.

Bought and planted a medlar tree (a tree! Our first tree! I've wanted a medlar for years and never had a garden to put it in!

Repotted a bunch of stuff (technical term, that)

and just generally got stuff done in the garden. I now have even more concrete and rubble to shift that was piled under the hedge but hey, it'll get done.

Now I just need to sleep and ache...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3543 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The plastic tent greenhouse is up, solidly tethered to the wooden fence. Mr C hasn't been out there, so I'm safe from unwelcome interference for now.

The perennial things and bulbs are doing their thing and the grass/ moss/ odd reed clump which passes for a lawn is looking pleasantly green. I've paused- muddy and breathless- to drink tea out there. It helps me think about where I'd like seating, paths and those pesky raised beds which are to be foisted on me.

While I dig all sorts of feathered carnivores are flitting around, hopping in to my freshly-dug patches for worms. There seem to be plenty of worms; I can't put a spade in without a casualty. How to Budhists manage to dig?

When Mr C and I are in the house together next (might be Thursday) I have drawings to show him and oath ideas from Monty Don's book to bed his ear with.

Cattyish, working (sort of) until 10.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cattyish:

While I dig all sorts of feathered carnivores are flitting around, hopping in to my freshly-dug patches for worms. There seem to be plenty of worms; I can't put a spade in without a casualty. How to Budhists manage to dig?

I was always taught that when you cut an earthworm in half it forms two earthworms, rather than killing it. If a bird comes along to eat it, of course, that's the end of it -- but hardly your fault.

quote:
When Mr C and I are in the house together next (might be Thursday) I have drawings to show him and oath ideas from Monty Don's book to bed his ear with.

I really don't think I want to know how you "bed his ear." Sounds a bit kinky to me.

[Biased]

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9303 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started gardening in one square foot plots in my long rectangular garden last year. It worked pretty well as I have some medical problems which make it hard for me to bend over and get up and down. The result was pleasing. I can handle one or two square feet at a time with a fair amount of ease. Weed a foot square plot to day, mulch a square foot tomorrow, and on and on. I know it is early but have been pulling weeds while the ground is wet. Happy to discover parsley, one onion plant and artichoke squares have wintered over. I planted two squares of spring peas. Taking a chance I am as we had light snow yesterday but I think they should make it.

[ 06. March 2017, 20:33: Message edited by: Graven Image ]

Posts: 2588 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

We've been in our new home for a year now so I decided I ought to take some photos of how the garden is looking in our first spring.

We were too busy with the house last spring (and the garden was covered with gardening 'stuff' we brought with us that wouldn't fit into the garage or shed).
Then once the summer started Mr meg was so keen to get working on clearing the garden that I never had the chance to take "before" photos.
Now I have it on record in it's current state, which is a mixture of what was already here (mostly Spanish bluebell and three-cornered leek, and a weedy lawn dotted with sweet violets), things I planted in the autumn, and the part-prepared beds and planters for veggies - which I need to get on with as I have seedlings coming up to planting size.

So I then put more compost & sieved soil into one of the raised beds. It's a slow process as I have a bad back and can only do a little at a time, but I'm hoping that the summer photographs will show at least one of them full of beans and leeks..

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have managed to get out into the garden today and prepared one of the raised beds, which last year was host to a tangle of grasses with underground stems and ground elder. The ground elder had somehow got there from next door despite there being several metres of uncompromising clay with no sign of the stuff between the fence and the bed. I very much doubt if I have got all the threads out. I topped it with compost from one of last years potato bags, treated it with growmore and lime, and planted out some brassicas. It was supposed to be peas last year, but I only got a couple of pods. Then I topped it with plastic netting as I have a posse of woodpigeons who like pecking anything to death (I hope the tulip poisoned them) and absolutely delight in brassicas. I was pleased to see a nice fat worm.

I forgot to put the daggy sheep pellets round them to keep the slugs at bay.

[ 19. March 2017, 19:10: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given the time constraints on me now, I have a nasty feeling that I may well have to put at least part of a plot on the allotments under black plastic for the year. Alhough the secretary knows me and knows why, and is quite happy to arrange for it to be done, it still goes against the grain.

In other news, I think I have finally stopped stuffing stuff into the newly laid hedge to make it more interesting - thus far in addition to cotoneaster it has a red hazel, a spindle, a dog rose and two currant plants. All in about eight yards of hedge.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3543 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

Adam was a gardener and God, who made him, sees that half a proper gardener's work is done upon his knees (also from "The Glory of The Garden" by Rudyard Kipling)
Again, unfortunately, as my back is not at all happy with the amount of time I've spent on my knees weeding the garden this past week. Sadly, years of neglect following the death of the previous gardener here has resulted in well established perennial weeds, so it's going to be a long job.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We read that poem at my mother's funeral (her choice). I am letting her down in my garden.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I may have committed a crime against wisteria in a friend's garden.
The place is seriously overgrown, and what really needed doing was removing the ivy which was growing over into the neighbour's garden. We set about it with vigour, and I waas aiming to cut back lowish down to isolate the top growth so it would die back. But I think that two of the stems I cut may have been the wisteria (also overgrowing the boundary, but needing different pruning). Not right down to ground level, or below any graft, but I wasn't looking for buds. About a couple of feet above ground level, and they looked quite young. I suspect other stems, but didn't check properly.
Can I have killed it? I can't find anything about hard pruning killing it on the RHS site, but they assume people aren't going to be stupid.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Down here with sun and warmth, wisteria is next to impossible to kill. I hacked at roots coming under fence from next door for years till they gave up. Beautiful flowers and perfume but best grown down here on a substantial trellis in the middle of an enormous paddock.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9320 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Summer ending (finally) and I got a loan of a trailer to cart away all the trees that fell down after their roots rotted following minor spring flooding. Apparently, what you're supposed to do when there is standing water is go around with a pitchfork and stab the ground to aerate the soil. Not sure I would have bothered if I knew at the time. My garden fantasy is bouncy concrete everywhere.

My skin is very fair and our ozone layer still quite thin, so I'm kind of like Richmond in the IT Crowd over summer.

--------------------
The opinions expressed above are transitory emotional responses and do not necessarily reflect the considered views of the author.

Posts: 1013 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Down here with sun and warmth, wisteria is next to impossible to kill. I hacked at roots coming under fence from next door for years till they gave up. Beautiful flowers and perfume but best grown down here on a substantial trellis in the middle of an enormous paddock.

Thank you. I shall be extremely careful next time I'm there.

I did have some sort of climbing thing in my current garden when I moved in. I waited through the winter to see what it was - wisteria or clematis - to decide what to do with it. Bit it did nothing. Investigation behind the plants below it revealed that it had been sawn through just above ground level! An odd thing to do when selling, I would have thought. On recalling the stem features, I suspect it was clematis rather than wisteria. The plant I have just attacked had very smooth bark.

[ 03. April 2017, 07:21: Message edited by: Penny S ]

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Clematis has a kind of papery bark. Or should I say that climbing thing that I call 'the Clematis'.

My Jasmine is coming back from the huge collection of 7' high stalks me and my builder mate chopped it off at, when we replaced my mouldy-green 'patio awning' with a twin-wall plastic roof on a frame last month. It'll take some getting on top of once it gets going again.

I've planted a lot of very, very old nasturtium seed. I wonder if any will germinate.

Mrs MiM nearly bought the idea I had created a 'potting table' from a brick BBQ we no longer used, by fitting a thick bench top to it. Until I bolted one of these to it.

Note the auction includes the words 'garden feature'. You know you want one.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm making plans to prevent slugs from eating the veg. Has anyone got any tips?

My best (?!?) plan so far is to put the container on stilts, and stick sandpaper and/or vaseline to the stilts.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is said that they dislike creeping over diatomaceous earth, which is actually very fine seashells and sharp bits from plankton=like creatures. That said, I have always had good results with commercial slug bait.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I had very good results from daggy sheep's fleece, which breaks down and releases nitrogen.

Slug gone

It comes in pellets, with a distinctive smell which tells you whereabouts on the sheep it comes from.

[ 04. April 2017, 08:14: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Just be aware that it can burn the stems of tender plants - I killed my cayennes last year like that - so best not touching the plant.

AG

--------------------

Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a go.

I've just started the annual Easter dig, and the number of snails I removed was scary.

Has anyone tried copper strips? Beer traps?

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

I have found self-adhesive copper tape to be very effective around planters, but to deter snails as well you need to use the ones with a serrated edge. They can be left in position for several seasons without losing their effectiveness.
I also plant sacrificial french marigolds, as slugs & snails love them, and it distracts them from my more precious plants.
They work even better if doused in a liquid slug/snail killer [Devil]

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

The radish seeds are sprouting and I've planted 'Catriona' potatoes, much to my Dad's amusement; he always knew I was a tattie.

The corkscrew hazel is displaying magnificent catkins and the daffodils are lovely.

Cattyish, really need to mow the lawn... is 8am too early?

--------------------
Ralph Waldo Emerson

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Has anyone tried copper strips?
When my kids wanted to try sunflowers and they all got munched, the next time I slipped the seedlings through offcuts of copper water pipe. It seemed to work, but it's a bit labour-intensive for general use and you'd need to know a plumber to make it cost effective.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We use beer traps, which seem to provide a happy death to a portion of the slug population. Unfortunately it doesn't entirely stop your plants being nibbled, but every little helps.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1814 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I have only rarely raised sunflowers successfully from seed. The critters get them all. This year I am trying again, in pots on the front porch.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I managed some weeding this morning, and removed a number of the samples of every kind of wild geranium that grow hereabouts. (Taking inspiration from this, and the previous owners' display of large numbers of one kind of garden ditto, I have planted a variety myself. This was probably a mistake. They do extremely well in my soil. I could probably host the national geranium collection, wild and cultivated.)
I also removed the broken cover of my plastic growhouse, which I suspect was broken by the Grey Phantom cat jumping on it after it was weakened by sunlight, and all the seeds that the birds have turned down from the feeders. Expensive, good quality seeds, too.

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Continuing to clear and plant the garden of our new home.
Today I took pity on a hebe "Lilac Hint" that I had put in a pot prior 18months ago prior to moving house. It was making good progress, and producing flower buds, but started to look unhappy a week or two ago.
Don't know if it was lack of water, as it has been quite dry here, or wind damage from storm Doris of a few weeks back, but it was definitely in need if some TLC.
I dug a nice big hole the front border, close to the wall to get what little shelter from the channel breezes is available there, and planted it with added compost and mycorrhizal granules. then pruned off the damaged bits. There are still some healthy flower buds, so i'm hoping it will produce some flowers this year, and thrive in its new home.
There are some other plants in pots that need attention, and the rhubarb I planted in the autumn is bolting so i need to find out what to do about that.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Three and a half hours this arvo digging on the allotment and all I can say is ARRGH MY BACK! MY HIPS! EVERYTHING! ARGH!

I ache like a bastard, and am increasingly thinking that I will have to cover part of the plot in black plastic this year as I don't think I can keep it all in shape with the limited time I have at the moment. Ho hum.

AG

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Forgot to say in brighter news, we now have our first clematis, dear old Nellie Moser, which I hope ill run riot in our hedge, and the perennial sweet pea is now sprouting anew.

AG

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoo Whoo the governor of California has declared the drought is officially ended. So it is back to real gardening, but first I must weed and wait for the soil to dry out from all the rain before digging.
Posts: 2588 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Each spring I have to start the season by untying all of last years bits of twine from the beanpoles, as I haven't the time to do it before winter rapidly overtakes the autumn tidy-up.
I do a double row, each opposing pair tied at the top, and a horizontal pole going through the crossing points, joining several pairs together. This year i decided to make the undoing quicker & easier by tying the pairs together using a bow rather than my usual double knot, as they are well secured to the cross-pole.
Yesterday morning, and today, there has been a row of dunnocks sitting along the cross pole, pecking at the filis twine to pull out fibres for nesting material - they have managed to undo most of the bows!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Three and a half hours this arvo digging on the allotment and all I can say is ARRGH MY BACK! MY HIPS! EVERYTHING! ARGH!

I ache like a bastard, and am increasingly thinking that I will have to cover part of the plot in black plastic this year as I don't think I can keep it all in shape with the limited time I have at the moment. Ho hum.

AG

Gardener's World last night was all about no-dig gardening. It was very interesting [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12546 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

We have installed a massive eyesore in the back garden. Thankfully it cannot be seen from the road and can barely be seen from next door or directly behind, but the neighbours diagonally behind have a view. It's one of these monsters, painted green.

I've spoken to the diagonally behind neighbours and they're fine about it, but we did talk about maybe putting a honeysuckle up the adjoining fence for visual screening. What's the best way to do this? I could uproot mine and give it to them, or I could buy them one.

Cattyish, feeling guilty.

--------------------
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

You could screen it, although it's not your problem, by growing honeysuckle or something similar on your side of the fence. Or they could screen it, if they have a problem with it, by growing something on their side of the fence.
You have a right to use your garden as you see fit and have done your best to site the eyesore discreetly, so as long as it is contained within your property I don't see that you have any need to supply the neighbours with screening plants.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you can root honeysuckle from cuttings. Give it a try, maybe?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19958 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Vining honeysuckle can go rampant. If it's happy in its situation you might need a machete in later years, to find your garden structure.

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

Gone, gone, totally gone. Woke up today to find four parsley plants and one squash plant eaten down to a few sticks. [Eek!]
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I planted out a dozen seedlings yesterday. Fingers crossed that they're not eaten like yours.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016