homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Oh, how beautiful - the garden thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Oh, how beautiful - the garden thread
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've just been away for a week, and the day before we left I sowed various seeds and left them to germinate on the kitchen windowsill, making a note of the date, and the date by which they should germinate - according to the seed packet.
Most of them were quick germinators and were due to show themselves at about the time we returned - except for the Romanesco cauliflower, which was supposed to take from 14-28 days. That was just fine, as the bit of garden they are due to occupy is nowhere near ready.
So, how come that on our return in just 7 days had the Romanesco germinated, and already grown into spindly seedings [Frown] . I have had to re-sow, and will be keeping a very close eye on them so they can be moved somewhere cooler the minute they show themselves.

What is the point of the sowing guide on the packet if it can be out by so much?!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3017 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is now May, and still eff-all rain. I have one water butt, ot four, with water in still. And nothing in the forecast either.

WTF?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3509 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We'll send you some. We're having major flooding with evacuations.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19535 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll pass on your evacuations if you don't mind, but am quite happy to be sent water - do you think you can PM it? [Two face]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3509 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Incoming (watch for the splash)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19535 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

It must have worked - we had some rain yesterday evening! Not much, enough to lay the dust, but oh it smelt so good!

AG

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we're not that far east of you Sandimaniac and we've had steady showers of rain over the last few days after an almost entirely dry April, so I hope you egt more rain soon.
We only have a small back yard but I've been trying to fill it with pots and planters. My latest editions are a rose bush and a dwarf plum tree both in rather nice pots courtesy of the garden voucher I recieved when I retired a few months ago. I'll probably get the space looking great just at the time we decide to sell it - that's what happened at our last two houses.

--------------------
Previously Gussie.
Newt fancier turned goldfish

Posts: 1759 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some sharp frosts last week have been shredding potatoes and vines on our allotment site. Spuds in particular look wasted - and people have been planting them earlier and earlier, I noticed them going in in February this year.

But the frosts have also hit vineyards in England and France - -6 last week I think.

--------------------
hell isn't punishment, it's training.

Posts: 9111 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had our first major hail of the spring last night. I was actually flying home from California when it hit, and was warned by my wife that the front yard garden got hit pretty badly. When we got home, it looked to me like everything was fine. So that was a relief.

Other people weren't so lucky. It was warm all weekend, so people pressed their luck on getting a head start on more tender vegetables, and from the looks of it, a lot of it got shredded.

Although if your garden got the brunt of it, that was lucky. I saw pictures of people with holes in their siding, and one friend had her car destroyed by the hail- windows shattered, roof and hood dented to hell, decorative decals and rear-view windows hanging on by a few wires.

And it's expected to hit again this afternoon. [Frown]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 2998 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Despite the lack of rain, it's not all bad news - realised last night that the Salvia, which has been a dead brown twig all winter, is shooting from the roots. It's alive!

And the Met Office, having been forecasting rain as less and less likely all day, are now forecasting thunderstorms this evening. I'd rather they didn't arrive while I'm at ringing practice - standing in a tower holding a rope seems like a good way to end up toast - but beyond that bring it on!

Oh, and the sore hip turns out to be posture rather than arthritis. Phew! If only all life's woes were as easily solved...

AG

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've had rain!
Not enough, but there may be more overnight [Smile]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3017 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Hardly enough to lay the dust here. I'm getting worryingly obsessive about the stuff.

AG

--------------------

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's not kidding about obsessive - I had a text when I got home asking me how damp the soil had got. [Roll Eyes]

On the other hand, I was the one who'd let him know we had at least 3 downpours over the afternoon [Razz] (my w*rk is only a mile away, so usually gets the same weather). With any luck things might now start to grow...

--------------------
When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.
Erasmus of Rotterdam

Posts: 643 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

I left a bucket out - it had a good half inch in it (this is why CK prefers snow - she says it feels so much better waking up to discover you've had six inches in the night) - and stuff has quite literally doubled in size in 24 hours since.

AG

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's become our Mother's Day tradition for my son to take me shopping for flowers and then come home and be my gardener for the day.

This year we spent twice as much as usual; I have a tendency to be a bit stingy. Now the front porch looks great with several pots of flowers and a Boston fern, plus there are impatiens and petunias all across the front shrubbery beds. We even added a new rhododendron shrub.

No one would ever guess that inside the house is a rather severe, minimalist décor. I love it!

I'm enjoying it now, because tonight may well be the night of the lepus.

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Transplanting the existing conversation from the "Allotment" thread to this new soil:

Posted by Mr. Cheesy:

quote:
Having decided to fully immerse myself in the local culture here in the Welsh valleys, I signed the waiting list at the local allotment - imagining it would be filed in the bin like my last attempt to get one. After only 6 months of waiting, I heard back from the allotment committee and was rewarded with a half plot. Oh the joy. A little bit of darkened soil, a shed, a greenhouse and a whole load of junk.

OK, I know you don't really care. So cutting to good stuff: I've planted some potatoes and onions (I wasn't going to bother, but they were donated by a neighbour so it was rude not to) and have been germinating beans and pumpkins in the greenhouse. It has been really warm so they've shot up and I've been transplanting them out.

In all this, I've been expecting the slugs to pop up and munch through all my seedlings, but as yet no sign of the little blighters. I'm thinking it might be due to a very large number of birds at the allotment, who for some reason think it is funny to uproot my onion sets.

I have also a little patch of fruit bushes and have been trying to restablish some strawberries with some runaway plants I've recaptured from the path. So far these haven't taken and are looking a bit sad for themselves in the fruit patch.

I'm trying to germinate tomatoes and peppers too, but so far no sign of any. Not sure why.

Anyhoo, how is your veg patch?

Posted by Brenda Clough:

quote:
Tomatoes and peppers need warmth to do well.
Posted by Graven Image:

quote:
Tomatoes looking well, 4 different kinds, something ate the squash, and part of the parsley, peas are just starting to blossom, 6 leeks and one onion and I have one artichoke up for its second year. I do square foot gardening, meaning I divide plot into square foot spaces. Much easier to tend to in my older age. I just planted a foot of sunflower seeds. I had good luck with a pot of potatoes last year. Finally I let a head of lettuce to to seed last year so now I have lettuce all over here and there.
Posted by quetzalcoatl:

quote:
Our patch is booming away, but we tend to buy young plants from nurseries rather than sow seeds. It's kind of instant gardening. So far, all looking well, except of course, it's been very dry. I got some new Jerusalem artichokes, and they are growing by the day, Jack and the beanstalk.
Posted by Martha

quote:
My patch consists of 4 large square boxes, plus a few pots. This year I have two boxes with peas in - something new for me - one box with tomatoes and rocket, and one with carrots and spring onions.

Two pots have strawberries in; the strawberry plants in the other two pots died, and when I tipped them out I found the pots were full of woodlice. Half a dozen courgette plants came up unexpectedly in my boxes, so I have stuck them in the vacant pots and will see how they do.

Every year when I'm planting I think it would be nice to have more space - my ambition is to have a glut of something - but realistically, this is probably about the right amount of stuff.

Posted by no prophet’s flag is set so …

quote:
This upcoming weekend is "May Long" which means May long weekend of which Monday is Victoria Day and a holiday. This is the traditional start of summer, well sort of. The leaves have just come out on the trees last week. Everything was bare 5 days ago, now we see green!

We dug last evening, spread compost, and laid out the rows. I turned the outside water on (we have to drain and blow-out the outdoor waterlines for winter). The ground is still quite cool, and our overnight temps at +3°C last night. Our beds are raised to help with warming. We are going to have beans (green and wax), carrots, beets, kale, swiss chard, and potatoes. The tomatoes here have to be started inside and transplanted. These will come later because it is just too cool yet.

We have both a garden in back of the house, and what you call an allotment, which is called a "community garden plot". Community gardens give a plot and then also as a collective typically grow potatoes in a shared area. The community garden gets going 03 June. We typically have about 100 days to grow things before frost.

There's something really life-giving about planning, preparing, planting, tending and harvesting. On an AS thread, I discussed an funeral last week. Last evening felt healing in the back garden from that.

Posted by quetzalcoatl:

quote:
We have just put tomatoes out, as we had frosts until last week. Grow them on the window-sill, where they become giants, then transplant. Trying black, green striped, as well as normal red.
Posted by Huia:

quote:
I have a solitary silver beet in my raised garden.

Well, it is autumn here and we have had our first frost.

Posted by Rosefosharon:

quote:
No allotment, but most of our back garden is given over to veg.

Being so close to the South Coast has its disadvantages (mostly wind and sand), but the temperature is just that degree or so higher than further inland, and we have had very little frost - so my outdoor tomatoes (bought in at two-leaf stage) are doing very well, two trusses of flower buds already, when I would previously have not put anything out until the very end of May.

I find I have to net things until they are established, otherwise the starlings or gulls pull them out. The leeks I planted at the weekend are currently under nets. Some things have to stay netted, I took the netting off the swiss chard (aka silver beet) for a couple of days last year, and the sparrows shredded them, so now I keep it permanently under net.

I need to clear last year's chard as it is beginning to bolt, and because I have little plants desperate to be in the ground, but they still have massive, succulent leaves, so we have been eating more chard recently than is good for our digestive systems
We had a very sunny day today, and I was delighted to see a bee busy working among my broad beans

Very heavy rain is forecast for tomorrow evening, so everything that is outside 'hardening off' prior to planting might be flattened by Thursday morning if I can't protect them somehow.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7264 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spoke to soon, the slugs have woken up and are attacking my baby pumpkins, the little bastards.

--------------------
my new book: Biblical But Bollocks. Available in all good bookshops.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How dare you call your pumpkins "bastards"!
Posts: 8500 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Checked out the herb garden and despite neglect we have a healthy bay tree, plenty of rosemary, thyme, sage and mint, some sad looking marjoram and not enough parsley (we cook quite a lot of Greek dishes which demand handfuls of the stuff). No sign of the basil so we will have to try harder.

--------------------
If someone takes a shot at President Trump will his bodyguards shout "Donald Duck"?

Posts: 23619 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The heavens opened all right, so we dashed over on slug patrol, but only found one, executed by the tricoteuse (wife).

But pigeons are obviously feasting on assorted brassica, and also our sodding English mace, our treasure. Netting alert!

--------------------
hell isn't punishment, it's training.

Posts: 9111 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read this and thought of you talented people...

'Lady Cynthia' rhododendron bush puts Canada town on the map - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39966325

Posts: 7068 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016