homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » The Icelandic president has spoken (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Icelandic president has spoken
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Iceland's president forced to clarify views on pineapple pizza ban

quote:
Last week, answering questions from pupils at a high school in Akureyri, Guðni Th. Jóhannesson said his favourite football team was Manchester United and he was “fundamentally opposed” to pineapple on pizzas.

The president then went further, saying that if he could, he would ban the tropical fruit as a pizza topping.

What topping would you ban from a foodstuff? Or what arguments do you have about toppings/seasonings?

Chicken salt (salt with chicken extracts, or flavours at the least) on [hot] chips here seems to be the loudest argument people seem to have here: either hated or loved. I may lose friends but I quite like it.

[ 23. February 2017, 06:03: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7001 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any of the cheese flavoured snacks made from petroleum based products. Does the world really need to be feeding kids this stuff? To me its like the fake lentils made from plastic on sale in China. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 6930 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Onion. In any form, including shallots and spring onion (scallions in the US, I think). I'd ban the lot because my system can't cope with them.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4383 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ban pumpkin. . UnAustrayan to say so, probably, but I'll live with that.
Posts: 260 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tomato (except in puree form).

Fruit (or vegetable) of Satan.

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 7263 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apple sauce with roast pork.
Posts: 1872 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, sweet and savoury together generally. It's either the pudding or it's not. If it is, it's sweet. If it isn't, it isn't. It's not hard.

So this covers pineapple on pizza, apple sauce and those various red abominations people put on poultry.

It's why I don't buy coleslaw at Morrisons because the idiots put sugar in it and as a result it tastes terrible.

I can just about cope with dried apricots in tagines but they'd be better without them, IMNAAHO.

[ 23. February 2017, 11:19: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17131 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shrimp. Biting into one is like chewing on a finger.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 9744 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Onion. In any form, including shallots and spring onion (scallions in the US, I think). I'd ban the lot because my system can't cope with them.

Amen! And if it's put on or in something, removing it does no good because the other foods will have absorbed the taste. I hate the taste of onion when I manage to swallow some -- and continue to hate the taste of it for about 24 hours since it's the taste that will not go away.

[Projectile]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 8778 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a fan of hot and cold together. Hot apple pie does not need cold ice cream, it needs hot custard.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1875 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cinnamon. In north America it is obligatory to add cinnamon to all pies and baked goods, and there are no exemptions; not even a note from your mother. The only use I have for cinnamon is in carefully calibrated small additions to curries, where the effect can be quite sublime in conjunction with all the other spices, but not in pies!

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 793 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
DaleMaily
Apprentice
# 18725

- Posted      Profile for DaleMaily   Email DaleMaily   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
Not a fan of hot and cold together. Hot apple pie does not need cold ice cream, it needs hot custard.

Not even warm brownie in an ice cream sundae?!?! [Eek!]

--------------------
The more I get to know the less I find that I understand.

Posts: 28 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2017  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes not even that. Or chocolate fudge cake warm with ice cream

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1875 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DaleMaily:
quote:

Not even warm brownie in an ice cream sundae?!?! [Eek!]
No, no, no! Brownies should never be served warm. Also, no hot fudge on my sundae, please -- just cold chocolate syrup.

And also, no warm chicken, shrimp*, salmon, whatever on my Caesar salad. Refrigerate them first.

*Sorry, Miss Amanda. I love shrimp -- at the proper temperature for the dish it's in.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

DaleMaily
Apprentice
# 18725

- Posted      Profile for DaleMaily   Email DaleMaily   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes not even that. Or chocolate fudge cake warm with ice cream

[Waterworks]

--------------------
The more I get to know the less I find that I understand.

Posts: 28 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2017  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keep your peas out of my carbonara.

I actually like peas. But when I order carbonara, I've announced that I have gone all in on satisfying my tastebuds at the expense of my personal health and nutrition needs. So spare me your nod to healthy eating, and just give me the cream, cheese, eggs, cured pork, and white pasta that I desire.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 2964 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

I am, more or less, an autoalliumator. They go in everything. Mashed potatoes are so much better with a bit of onion. My favourite salad is a spicy bean salad with onions, garlic, cumin, and several different kinds of bean.

(Although I'll follow Karl and make a sharp distinction between food and pudding. No onions in desserts, thank you.)

I'll happily ban mustard, though.

But most of all, I'd ban the practice of people describing something as "a ham sandwich" when it's really ham-and-pickle or ham-and-mustard or something.

Go anywhere where sandwiches have been provided for lunch, and you'll be offered a choice between beef and turkey, say (I'm not going to choose the veggie one). And for me, that's not the relevant information.

Beef-and-what? Turkey-and-what? Which sandwich contains a flavour I dislike? Knowing what meat is in it doesn't help me.

Posts: 4193 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coriander/ Cilantro
It is NOT a Christian plant, though from having tasted it convinced me there is indeed a Devil and the Devil is a very nasty chef. So it did strengthen my faith in a back-handed, disgusted way to know it exists.

I believe coriander is technically the seeds and cilantro the leaves. But it doesn't matter. If I go to hell I will be force-fed cilantro-topped yoghurt. It mustn't go in nor on anything. Ever.

Research leads me to believe that some of us taste cilantro as unspeakably ghastly vile - soapy and rotten meat combined with the sensation of metal contacting a tooth filling - far beyond regular food preferences. Experience tells me that those who don't have the genetics to taste this vile aspect have no idea how truly awful it is, and how angry we get about it.

My Hell Diet of cilantro-topped yoghurt leads me to yoghurt, which besides upsetting my dairy-disliking tummy, has a nasty glairigeous twang which no amount of disguising can disguise. My Heaven Diet is anything else.

--------------------
We must learn to live in harmony with nature. If we don't cease believing we can master and dominate it, life on Earth may be destroyed.
(formerly known more succinctly as "no prophet"), either way not be taken seriously. \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 10140 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Research leads me to believe that some of us taste cilantro as unspeakably ghastly vile - soapy and rotten meat combined with the sensation of metal contacting a tooth filling - far beyond regular food preferences. Experience tells me that those who don't have the genetics to taste this vile aspect have no idea how truly awful it is, and how angry we get about it.

Hops (as in the beer ingredient) are the same way. I went to a beer tasting lead by a scientist from the local museum who specializes in taste, and she had everyone taste a strip of paper that was treated with the offending oil from the hop plant. The true hope heads tasted nothing, folks in the middle (like me) tasted something bordering on unpleasant, and the third group immediately reached for the tic tac that was included in the bag with the tasting strip to clean out the taste of Dawn dish-washing soap from their mouths.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, I can now excuse myself for being rude on our trip to Romford Brewery and failing to disguise my utter discomfort in the hop drying room, or whatever it was!
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coriander.... Was sent down by a gracious God to those whom s/he loves, and wished to enjoy even more the spiced gastronomical treasures and pleasures of India. I am not sure what s/he wishes upon the others. Next time I am enjoying yogurt with cucumber,a little cumin and some fresh coriander, I shall pray that No Prophet's heart may be turned instead of his stomach.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 793 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doone:

And also the inevitable combinations of turkey with cranberry, duck with orange, or lamb with mint sauce - This last is usually barely edible with far too much vinegar, common in Englsih pubs perhaps in an effort to sell more drinks.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6024 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It needs both.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 15226 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

It needs both.
And a thin slice of Cheddar.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 9744 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Turkey. A meat of no culinary merit whatsoever. A bird died to produce this.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 9899 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a fan of pineapple on pizza, either (or anywhere else)--though I feel no need to keep other people from eating it.

I have to avoid calamari--tastebuds and stomach don't agree about it.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 16830 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

It needs both.
And a thin slice of Cheddar.
*Sharp* cheddar. Though I don't think I've had it on *hot* apple pie.

Custard? Is this custard that you can eat separately for dessert? Or something else?

Thx.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"

Posts: 16830 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to like cold cream floating on hot liqueur coffee. I probably still would, but haven't had one for years.

I don't want parmesan on every pasta dish. And not all pizzas need cheese.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2563 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

Custard? Is this custard that you can eat separately for dessert? Or something else?

Here
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Thanks, LC. If that's related to our kind of custard, then it looks like it's poured hot, before it sets up. I don't think I've ever heard of a custard sauce here. But someone might well experiment at home.

ETA: if I were going to pour hot custard over a dessert, I'd probably use an unfrosted cake.

[ 24. February 2017, 05:50: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Thanks, LC. If that's related to our kind of custard, then it looks like it's poured hot, before it sets up.

The "normal" way to make custard is to buy a tin of Bird's custard powder, and mix custard powder with boiling milk and a little sugar.

Custard powder is basically cornstarch, vanilla flavouring and annatto for colour.

"Real" custard is made with eggs, and is more or less what the French call "creme anglaise".

(And it's not only poured hot, it's eaten hot. At home, one would bring a jug of (hot) custard to the table, and each person pours some onto his pudding. Custard is de rigeur with spotted dick and similar stodgy puddings as well as with pies.)

[ 24. February 2017, 09:04: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:

I actually like peas. But when I order carbonara, I've announced that I have gone all in on satisfying my tastebuds at the expense of my personal health and nutrition needs. So spare me your nod to healthy eating, and just give me the cream, cheese, eggs, cured pork, and white pasta that I desire.

Or mushrooms. Add mushrooms to my carbonara and you will get a bowl of carbonara on your head.

Dafyd is right about Turkey, which detract from otherwise festive occasions while Latchkey Kid is right to assert that pizza doesn't need cheese, least of all as part of the base.

--------------------
If someone takes a shot at President Trump will his bodyguards shout "Donald Duck"?

Posts: 23519 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
Originally posted by Doone:

And also the inevitable combinations of turkey with cranberry, duck with orange, or lamb with mint sauce - This last is usually barely edible with far too much vinegar, common in Englsih pubs perhaps in an effort to sell more drinks.
Yes, yuk to all these!
Posts: 1872 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I like everything mentioned here from cole slaw with a bit of sugar in its mayo to turkey with cranberry sauce on the edge. Liking everything is one of my problems with food.

However, I do think you chocolate maniacs -- and you know who you are-- have gone a bit far at times. Chocolate sauce really doesn't belong on everything. It certainly doesn't belong on cheesecake and chocolate chips in pancakes just fight with the maple syrup and if you're thinking of leaving the maple syrup off then why even have pancakes?

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
...and if you're thinking of leaving the maple syrup off then why even have pancakes?

THIS!

Pancakes and maple syrup also benefit muchly from a scoop of Mascarpone. We recently discovered empirically that UnclePete does not benefit from the presence of Mascarpone in his food - isn't that sad? It means I shall have to finish the tub all on my own.

[Roll Eyes]

I agree wholeheartedly about fruit in savoury dishes - in certain styles of Indian food, thankfully not too popular round here, it is common to add raisins or whatever or even, in some meals, pineapple curry! Give me more Bitter Gourd [Bitter Melon and a million other names] and forget the fruit stuff - except for pickles - Mango Pickle, Lime Pickle, etc. are okay and carry the WW seal of approval although my real pickle passion is Garlic Pickle.

YUM!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

Posts: 47643 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pancakes with chocolate chips are very nice with peanut butter instead of maple syrup. But then I also like pineapple on pizza so what do I know?

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7254 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:

Or mushrooms. Add mushrooms to my carbonara and you will get a bowl of carbonara on your head.

Dafyd is right about Turkey, which detract from otherwise festive occasions while Latchkey Kid is right to assert that pizza doesn't need cheese, least of all as part of the base.

I'd ban mushrooms in anything. Becauase I'm allergic to them. And oranges for the same reason. So many things I like have sneaky orange in them.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12526 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
Pancakes with chocolate chips are very nice with peanut butter instead of maple syrup. But then I also like pineapple on pizza so what do I know?

Avoid Iceland. [Razz]

--------------------
If someone takes a shot at President Trump will his bodyguards shout "Donald Duck"?

Posts: 23519 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where I grew up (east coast USA, NYC area) anchovies were common on pizza. I moved away and miss the anchovies.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5735 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
Where I grew up (east coast USA, NYC area) anchovies were common on pizza. I moved away and miss the anchovies.

sabine

Have you not thought of carrying around a stash of anchovies for these occasions?
Posts: 6012 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Coriander/ Cilantro
It is NOT a Christian plant, though from having tasted it convinced me there is indeed a Devil and the Devil is a very nasty chef. So it did strengthen my faith in a back-handed, disgusted way to know it exists.

I believe coriander is technically the seeds and cilantro the leaves. But it doesn't matter. If I go to hell I will be force-fed cilantro-topped yoghurt. It mustn't go in nor on anything. Ever.

My Hell Diet of cilantro-topped yoghurt leads me to yoghurt, which besides upsetting my dairy-disliking tummy, has a nasty glairigeous twang which no amount of disguising can disguise. My Heaven Diet is anything else.

Having spent a happy forty years cooking, for myself and others, I don't think I've found anything that inspires such loathing as coriander. Over the years I've asked what it is that these people dislike, and there is such a striking uniformity of description, according with No Prophet's, that I'm sure that it is a very specific biochemical phenomenon.

I quite like it.

As to the nomenclature, this coriander=seed, cilantro=leaf division is absolutely fallacious. The use of the name "cilantro" has arisen in North America with the growing popularity of Mexican cuisine. A lot of cooks who had never used or even seen coriander started experimenting with Mexican cuisine, largely as a result of the influence of Diana Kennedy and Rick Bayliss, who, naturally, used the Spanish name for this herb. Call it cilantro or call it coriander - it's still the same leaf.

Turning to pizza, my rule is that the product on the pizza must occur on the Italian peninsula, and an Italian would be comfortable putting it on a pizza. Artichoke? Unusual, but permissible (and delicious). Pineapple? Abomination. And I like pineapple. Similarly, chicken on pasta. To an Italian, they are separate courses. To my mind it's a textural offence, as well. Traditions and rules are there for a reason. We shouldn't be shackled by them, but we should respect them.

Posts: 213 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:

sabine

Have you not thought of carrying around a stash of anchovies for these occasions?
Our local pizza place will bring you a bowl of anchovies for your family size caesar salad, if only one person wants the anchovies. I put the leftovers on my pizza as I eat it, which is actually better than putting them on before you bake the pizza. If the anchovies go in the oven, they tend to get their oil all over everything, and you can't taste much else. I much prefer a distinct bite of anchovy here and there.

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damp bread. No chip beef on toast, no hot turkey sandwiches, no gravy of any kind on any bread product and that includes biscuits and gravy. Most likely started when if ill my mother would give me warm milk on toast. [Projectile]

--------------------
Notice to police, Should my body ever be found on a jogging trail, know that I was murdered elsewhere and my body dumped there."

Posts: 2518 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Milk and sugar on grits. Of all things. I have a friend who eats hers that way, and it almost makes me ill to watch. The proper way is butter and crumbled bacon all mixed together with the grits, or bake a dish of cheese grits! Yummy!

I'm one that can't abide ice cream and cake or pie on a plate together, but with me it's a texture thing.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17452 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I quite like the sweet/savoury mix, mint jelly with lamb and cranberry sauce with poultry. However I will never forget a dinner party where I was served beef stew with blackberries!No, no, a thousand times no!

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1046 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pancakes of the thin crepe type, as served next Tuesday, require lemon juice and sugar, not maple syrup.

And I cannot eat roast pork without the apple sauce my mother taught me. Half an onion diced small and sweated in butter, the apple diced larger added, with a spoon of sugar and a grind of black pepper. (Actually, back then, no-one ground pepper.) Possibly a little water. When cooked, the apple crushed, but not to a smooth pulp. The tartness cuts the fattiness of the pork. (It shouldn't be a very sweet eater, but Bramleys pulp too easily.)

This is obviously going to offend many.

[ 24. February 2017, 18:31: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Milk and sugar on grits. Of all things. I have a friend who eats hers that way, and it almost makes me ill to watch. The proper way is butter and crumbled bacon all mixed together with the grits, or bake a dish of cheese grits! Yummy!

No, no, no! No grits, no way, no how! I don't care how you cook them or what you put on or in them. Just no!
[Disappointed]

--------------------
~Tortuf

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd ban coconut and mint in all their disgusting forms

[Projectile]

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2265 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re carbonara:
There is a tendency to try to gain creaminess with excessive cheese. Please don't!

Re anchovies:
Often too salty by half. Given where we live, smoked fish goes on pizza nicely, usually pickerel, jack or rainbow trout (often called respectively: walleye, northern pike, steelhead). Pickerel and jack are excellent pickled as well. Rainbow makes good gravlax or frozen and then sliced thinly when still icy like arctic char.

Posts: 10140 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Damp bread. No chip beef on toast, no hot turkey sandwiches, no gravy of any kind on any bread product and that includes biscuits and gravy. Most likely started when if ill my mother would give me warm milk on toast. [Projectile]

Also, no croutons in my salad.

I know that this aversion stems from my being given milk toast to eat when I was sick as a child. Either I was sick enough that I didn't want anything, or I was hungry and milk toast did not appeal at all. Also I don't like warm milk.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 19845 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016