homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Songs that irritate. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Songs that irritate.
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The latest Ed Sheeran song "How would you feel" has the lines

How would you feel
If I told you that I love you
Its just something that I want to do

Now I actually do like Ed. He is way better than most of his ilk - actually some talent. And I quite like his latest songs. But this lyric is irritating. He never says it is true that he loves her. Just hat he wants to say it. Irritating.

And Clean Bandit - rockabye. Another good song. But at one point the verse to chorus doesn't work:

He don't know he is safe when she says...

She tells him, "Ooh, love, no one's ever gonna

what is this "she says...she tells him".

Its sloppy, and it frustrates me.

--------------------
Blog
My books for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18058 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lou Christie "Lightening Strikes":
quote:
Listen to me, baby, you gotta understand
You're old enough to know the makings of a man
Listen to me, baby, it's hard to settle down
Am I asking too much for you to stick around?

HELL, YES.

Answering lyrics from Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'":
quote:

What's right is right but you ain't been right yet
These boots are made for walking, and that's just what they'll do
One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21071 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, let's go with the classic:
quote:

"I am"... I said
To no one there
And no one heard at all
Not even the chair

Point 1: Considering that there is "no one there" it does not come as a huge surprise that "no one heard at all" because, ummm, dude, THERE IS NO ONE THERE!

Point 2: Did you really expect the furniture to listen? We ain't talking about an Echo device here.

Point 3: Why pick on the chair? Did the table listen? The sideboard? The bed? The lampstand? What was it about the chair that triggered your grievance?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2452 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other day I heard Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline just before I got to work and for the rest of the day had a ghastly mash-up of that and Shine Jesus Shine running through my head.

Oh, and the line about the choir of children in Wonderful Christmas Time makes me want to beat Macca to death with his own bass.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3492 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I never hear "In this world in which we live in" again it will still be too soon!

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3263 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always take it as "In this world in which we're livin' " which soothes the savage grammar beast in me.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19370 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So do I, but unfortunately he definitely sings 'live in'. I heard it on the radio today. Along with 'Moonlight Shadow' which contains the classic line:

Four a.m. In the morning

As opposed to...?

--------------------
Searching for a new sig...

Posts: 9102 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frankly the whole of All kinds of everything sets my teeth on edge, but especially
quote:
Seagulls and aeroplanes
Things of the sky
Winds that go howlin'
Breezes that sigh

'Things of the sky'? What the hell is that all about? Clouds, rainbows, smog?

Grrr

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4376 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Homeward bound", Simon and Garfunkel - "and I wish I was" - I want to correct it to "and I wish I WERE""

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3222 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to teach the world to sing
I'd like to build the world a home
And furnish it with love
Grow apple trees and honey bees
And snow-white turtle doves.

(Makes my teeth hurt)

--------------------
We must learn to live in harmony with nature. If we don't cease believing we can master and dominate it, life on Earth may be destroyed.
(formerly known more succinctly as "no prophet"), either way not be taken seriously. \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 10121 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

"I am"... I said
To no one there
And no one heard at all
Not even the chair

Point 1: Considering that there is "no one there" it does not come as a huge surprise that "no one heard at all" because, ummm, dude, THERE IS NO ONE THERE!

Point 2: Did you really expect the furniture to listen? We ain't talking about an Echo device here.

Point 3: Why pick on the chair? Did the table listen? The sideboard? The bed? The lampstand? What was it about the chair that triggered your grievance?

I think the idea is that he's so desperate for companionship, he's talking to the chair.

BUT...

"...not even the chair" suggests that under normal circumstances, the chair would be a more likely candidate than most to listen to him. Which still isn't justified even by the interpretation I laid out above. Saying something like "I'm crying out for friends, heck, even the chair" would work better.

[ 01. March 2017, 16:11: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 5954 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my lyrical pet peeves is the entirety of House Of The Rising Sun, when sung by a male and made to be about a life of gambling.

If you think of it sung by a woman, and about a life of prostitution, it makes much more sense. Economic hardship, brought about by her father's gambling, forced her into a brothel(and maybe even dear old dad sold her into one herself, to pay off a debt). It fits into the classic, tragic, "little girl lost" style of narrative.

Whereas "I picked up the gambling habit from my dad, and now I can't stop"? That just doesn't really tug at the heartstrings the same way. There's no cultural tradition of weeping over boys lost into a life of gambling; usually chronic gamblers are just shrugged off as losers.

Not that I neccessarily subscribe to any of the gendered assumpations underlying these narratives, just that they fit better within the framework of what purports to be a traditional folk song.

Tracy Chapman

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 5954 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What really frustrated me about these is that we listen to these and know they are wrong, and not always able to identify what it is.

But professionals have presumably heard these, realised there was something wrong, and said "never mind, it'll do".

That is sloppy.

--------------------
Blog

Posts: 18058 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:

"I am"... I said
To no one there
And no one heard at all
Not even the chair

I think the idea is that he's so desperate for companionship, he's talking to the chair.

BUT...

"...not even the chair" suggests that under normal circumstances, the chair would be a more likely candidate than most to listen to him. Which still isn't justified even by the interpretation I laid out above. Saying something like "I'm crying out for friends, heck, even the chair" would work better.

It has to be a chair. Not the table or lamp or any other furniture. Empty Chair technique. The lyricist is obviously experienced with Gestalt therapy, and was probably neglected by his/her parents, who didn't adequately acknowledge him/her, ignored. Now playing out abandonment issues. I suspect a middle child, probably an underachiever, roughly weaned, and not just troubled with lyrics composition.

--------------------
We must learn to live in harmony with nature. If we don't cease believing we can master and dominate it, life on Earth may be destroyed.
(formerly known more succinctly as "no prophet"), either way not be taken seriously. \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 10121 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
... Four a.m. In the morning

As opposed to...?

I'm so glad it isn't just me. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It's not so much the toes", said Piglet, "as the ears". A. A. Milne
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 18509 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a small world, after all,

Posts: 541 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

As opposed to...?

Me too

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 833 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis the Menace:
quote:
quote:

As opposed to...?

Me too
And it just needed someone with a little nous to suggest "four o'clock in the morning". Which would work fine.

I suspect that this was the intended lyric. Maybe Sally got it wrong, or they put in the wrong take.

--------------------
Blog

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I wish I were Mr Gates
I'd haul my money round in a crate"

Oh Bruce, how could you? How COULD you?

Posts: 17203 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

As opposed to...?

Nearly as bad as 12 p.m. to mean "noon" ...

11.59 a.m. is fine; so is 12.01 p.m. But 12 is noon (which presumably = m).

[ 02. March 2017, 08:46: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 8433 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nickel:
It's a small world, after all,

I hate you so much right now. (An annoying song by Kelis and how I feel now I have the ear worm)

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12518 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I intensely dislike the words of Cohen's song Hallelujah. So many people look on this song with hymn like reverence even though it talks of tying someone up in a chair etc. Like the tune, hate the words.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1244 | From: Tasmania Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I intensely dislike the words of Cohen's song Hallelujah. So many people look on this song with hymn like reverence even though it talks of tying someone up in a chair etc. Like the tune, hate the words.

I love the song, although I agree it doesn't deserve "hymn-like reverence" (there are some church-friendly rewrites of the words for people like you who love the tune and hate the lyrics). In those popular first verse, the only thing that bothers me is the weird mash-up of the David/Bathsheba and Samson/Delilah stories, and it only bothers me because I can never decide whether it's intentional or accidental. Cohen was such a smart guy and a great songwriter, and Jewish as well, so I'm fairly sure he knew the difference and just used elements of both stories to create the effect he was going for, but there's always the possibility it's just sloppiness, which would bother me a lot.

IMHO, the less-frequently-sung later verses of the song really ARE hymnlike -- the parts about "the holy or the broken hallelujah" and "even though it all went wrong, I'll stand before the Lord of Song with nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah." To me it's a sort of a secular artist's hymn about worshipping a god you're not even sure you believe in the only way you can -- through the gift you were given. I think it's a shame most artists who cover the song leave out the best verses.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7253 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
IMHO, the less-frequently-sung later verses of the song really ARE hymnlike -- the parts about "the holy or the broken hallelujah" and "even though it all went wrong, I'll stand before the Lord of Song with nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah."
The problem with that song, IMHO, is that Cohen wants to say "Sure, it all went wrong, but I can still stand before God and sing Hallelujah."

Which might be a valid, if somewhat idissyncratic, theology. But his example of "it all going wrong" is a little too easy, from the POV of appealing to an audience of mostly liberal, mostly baby-boomers. Rightly or wrongly, adultery is not generally seen as a major transgression by people born in the 1940s and later, especially when they haven't even hit middle age yet(Cohen's target audience would have been in their late 30s at most when the song was released.

It might be a bit more challeging if Cohen had said something like "Sure, I was a guard at Auschwitz for a while, got my kicks torturing people, but that's all just part of the broken Hallelujah. I can still stand before God and sing, right?"

Also, by adding the haircut motif from Samson and Delilah to the David and Bethsheba story, Cohen seems to be blaming the power of women for the fact that men choose to commit adultery. A somewhat more traditional theology, but no less unappealing.

Felafool
Shipmate
# 270

- Posted      Profile for Felafool         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My teeth curl at the opening bars of that pompous, nationalistic, jingoistic, yet over-popular so called hymn, Jerusalem.

'And did those feet.........?'

No!

--------------------
I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty - I ordered a cheeseburger.

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Felafool:
My teeth curl at the opening bars of that pompous, nationalistic, jingoistic, yet over-popular so called hymn, Jerusalem.

No!

No
No
No
No
Get them yourself.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 995 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:
IMHO, the less-frequently-sung later verses of the song really ARE hymnlike -- the parts about "the holy or the broken hallelujah" and "even though it all went wrong, I'll stand before the Lord of Song with nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah."
The problem with that song, IMHO, is that Cohen wants to say "Sure, it all went wrong, but I can still stand before God and sing Hallelujah."

Which might be a valid, if somewhat idissyncratic, theology. But his example of "it all going wrong" is a little too easy, from the POV of appealing to an audience of mostly liberal, mostly baby-boomers. Rightly or wrongly, adultery is not generally seen as a major transgression by people born in the 1940s and later, especially when they haven't even hit middle age yet(Cohen's target audience would have been in their late 30s at most when the song was released.

It might be a bit more challeging if Cohen had said something like "Sure, I was a guard at Auschwitz for a while, got my kicks torturing people, but that's all just part of the broken Hallelujah. I can still stand before God and sing, right?"

Also, by adding the haircut motif from Samson and Delilah to the David and Bethsheba story, Cohen seems to be blaming the power of women for the fact that men choose to commit adultery. A somewhat more traditional theology, but no less unappealing.

I think we're interpreting what the song is about very differently (and what it is that "all went wrong"), but then I think that's why this song is so popular (apart from the music being haunting and gorgeous) -- Cohen leaves the lyrics vague and metaphorical enough that people can read a lot of their own meanings into it. Which a lot of songs do, of course.

Frankly I'd rather some lovely metaphorical images open to interpretation, than "four a.m. in the morning" type songwriting.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7253 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: Hallelujah.

I heard an excellent radio documentary about this song a while back.

When John Cale wanted to cover it (this is the version made famous by Jeff Buckley) he asked Cohen to send over the exact lyrics. It has 80 or so verses in total! This is why no two versions are exactly the same and presumably the singer can pick verses to fit their intended meaning.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible, then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1697 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Jason Mraz hit "I'm Yours" included the lyric

quote:
And it's our God-forsaken right to be loved loved loved loved loved
He apparently has acknowledged that it makes no sense, and has officially changed the lyric (post recording) to "God intended right." Which I guess is better, but still seems like a forced word to accommodate a triplet.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 2955 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Re: Hallelujah.

[snip]

When John Cale wanted to cover it (this is the version made famous by Jeff Buckley) he asked Cohen to send over the exact lyrics. It has 80 or so verses in total! This is why no two versions are exactly the same and presumably the singer can pick verses to fit their intended meaning.

And that tends to be true of many an old folk tune, too. I was thinking about that in Stetson's discussion of "House of the Rising Sun"--I had not heard the version that has the line: "I picked up the gambling habit from my dad, and now I can't stop." The version I sing does reference a gambler, but he is clearly portrayed as the singer's lover:
quote:
If I had listened to what my mother said
I’d be at home today.
But young I was and foolish, poor girl,
Let a gambler lead me astray.

My mother, she’s a tailor,
She sews them new blue jeans.
My lover he’s a gambler, dear God.
Drinks down in New Orleans.

Now the only thing a gambler needs
Is a suitcase and a trunk;
And the only time he's half satisfied
Is when he’s wholly drunk.

A similar thing happens with "St. James' Infirmary"--lots of different verses and approaches. Frankly, the version I sing is personally tweaked to avoid the irritation of singing that the woman is dead in one verse and then stating that she "can" search the whole world over and never find another man like me. Considering that she is dead, I figure her best searching days are behind her. I change the tense to state that she "could have searched" blah blah.

But I think that is the nature of folk songs. It is almost expected for the singer to modify the lyrics to fit their own style.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2452 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dislike the Christmas song, "The Little Drummer Boy." It's like death by a thousand cuts to me.

It's not just the repetition. I love Revel's "Bolero."

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5734 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I defy anyone to produce something worse than this, the Cat Carol. Cloying tune. Cloying words. Cloying style. Phoney message. Rubbish natural history. It doesn't even rhyme. Even the astronomy's nonsense.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 6916 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I'm gonna love you
Till the stars fall from the sky for you and I."
[Mad]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 8761 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised we've had two Neil Diamond songs but not yet:

Song she sang to me
Song she brang to me
Words that rang in me
Rhyme that sprang from me

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 61867 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Felafool:

No!

I know it has been used that way, rather like Bush used "Born in the USA", and we sang it that way at school.
But on reflection it seems to me that expected answer is "No!". Jerusalem has not been built, rather the dark satanic mills have been built and we have yet to build Jerusalem.
It is a call to action, not a basking in self-righteousness.

[ 03. March 2017, 03:27: Message edited by: Latchkey Kid ]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2561 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Charles Had a Splurge on
Shipmate
# 14140

- Posted      Profile for Charles Had a Splurge on   Email Charles Had a Splurge on   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My pet hate is The Killers All these things that I’ve done also known by the UK Music Press as The Badger Song

There is a refrain at the end which runs
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier

Hence The Badger Song
I gotta badge, but I’m not a badger

--------------------
"But to live outside the law, you must be honest" R.A. Zimmerman

Posts: 224 | From: What used to be Berkshire | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Had a Splurge on:
My pet hate is The Killers All these things that I’ve done also known by the UK Music Press as The Badger Song

Hence The Badger Song

I prefer Bill Bailey's version

"I got ham but I'm not a hamster"

--------------------
Searching for a new sig...

Posts: 9102 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Hedgehog wrote:

quote:
And that tends to be true of many an old folk tune, too. I was thinking about that in Stetson's discussion of "House of the Rising Sun"--I had not heard the version that has the line: "I picked up the gambling habit from my dad, and now I can't stop."
Just for the record, that's not an actual line from the song, just my summation of the theme. It's the only plausible way to interpret the lyrics in the version sung by The Animals, ie. the guy's a gambler because his father was a gambler.

FWIW, the Animals version is musically brilliant, and is also by far the best-known version where I come from.

[ 03. March 2017, 08:49: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Had a Splurge on:

Hence The Badger Song

I prefer Bill Bailey's version

"I got ham but I'm not a hamster"

Making up more of these could be a thread in it's own right.
"I'm a temp but I'm not a tempter",
"I'm bold but I'm not a boulder",
or if you think that "I'm a bit of a dog but I'm not ..... "

On Jerusalem, somewhere I seem to remember that the 'dark satanic mills' are nothing to do with Coalbrookdale and the Industrial Revolution. Things like millstones had been found at Stonehenge and other prehistoric sites. In Blake's time there was a widespread belief that the pagan Ancient Britons sacrificed people by grinding them between millstones.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 6916 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes the snow comes down in June,
Sometimes the sun goes round the moon.

Oh really, then how come we haven't been burned to a crisp?

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 995 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is Soulder. Other artists have used it.
For me it has to be ABC with
'Can't complain, mustn't grumble , have yourself another piece of apple crumble'. Hey it rhymes.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1875 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd never heard "The Cat Carol" before....thank heavens!
I mentioned this thread to my Welsh tutor, particularly the Simon and Garfunkel (nearly put Garfield - too much of the Cat Carol?) "Homeward Bound" and he now hates it but it has become an ear worm.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3222 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
I dislike the Christmas song, "The Little Drummer Boy." It's like death by a thousand cuts to me.

It's not just the repetition. I love Revel's "Bolero."

sabine

Agree -- it's not the repetition, it's the 'twee-ness.' Like drowning in a vat of saccharine. IMO

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1627 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cant' stand I the Lord of Sea and Sky. I refuse to use I! (And not merely because Daniel O'Donnell sings it grrrr).

I hate it because of the chorus:

Here I am Lord, Is it I, Lord?

No!
It should be
Here am I Lord, is it me, Lord.

So annoying.

[ 05. March 2017, 13:40: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The one I really hate is the song "End of the Road" by Boyz II Men. The whole set of lyrics are here, the bit that particularly annoys me is:

"Girl, I know you really love me
You just don't realize"

although looking at the lyrics as a whole I realise that the whole damn song winds me up. You know what buddy? I think she does realise, and she's better off out of there.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5724 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Never been to me' I actually half like (specifically until it comes to the saccharine preaching at the end, that defines what 'me' (if I were female) ought to be like, and makes it all one way)*

Flanders&Swann's "Madeira M'dear", has a catchy tune, a bouncy recital, addictive word play and would be fantastic if it wasn't used to take amusement from date rape.

*It seems to have been transposed with Welcome to the pleasure dome on my PC list (which I guess makes it even better).

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
Here I am Lord, Is it I, Lord?

No!
It should be
Here am I Lord, is it me, Lord.

So annoying.

Actually, no. "Is it I?" is grammatically correct. "Is it me?" is more common. But it is wrong.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's still an annoying song.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 9737 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

There's a difference between correct in the absolute grammatical sense, and sounding goofy in spoken language isn't there?

"Is it I?" - well we can all certainly hope not!

Now I am thinking of "Shine Jesus Shine", which just makes my sun set. There are apparently actions available as well.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
There's a difference between correct in the absolute grammatical sense, and sounding goofy in spoken language isn't there?

Absolutely. And they shouldn't be conflated.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016