homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Songs that irritate. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Songs that irritate.
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a comment - the idea of this thread was songs that are tolerable, but have something irritating about them.

Of course, I cannot control what happens, and it is fine to do other things. But there are so many songs that are just not worth having recorded. My current top "Why didn't it go in the bin" song is Train - Play that Song. Plagarised trash.

I actually dislike "I the lord of sea and sky" because it is so plodding. But then, 99% of worship music makes me sick.

--------------------
Blog
My books for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18058 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
I cant' stand I the Lord of Sea and Sky. I refuse to use I! (And not merely because Daniel O'Donnell sings it grrrr).

I hate it because of the chorus:

Here I am Lord, Is it I, Lord?

Gill H wrote a nice parody of that.

Someone else, Lord
Please not me, Lord
I am hiding underneath my bed.
I can't go, Lord
I'm too scared, Lord
Won't you please send someone else instead.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 19833 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
I cant' stand I the Lord of Sea and Sky. I refuse to use I! (And not merely because Daniel O'Donnell sings it grrrr).

I hate it because of the chorus:

Here I am Lord, Is it I, Lord?

Someone else, Lord
Please not me, Lord
I can't go, Lord
I'm too scared, Lord

Moo

IIRC I the Lord of Sea and Sky was based on Isaiah (the here I am is C6v8), I'm not sure where the rest of the song is from as the immediate context is judgment and before the exile.
Whereas that is clearly inspired by Moses (and probably fits the verses better).

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don’t let the sun go down on me is a song I mostly like. However:

Don’t discard me
Just because you think I mean you harm

That has always sounded like an excellent reason for giving someone the push to me.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Killing me] I love Gill's sense of humor!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17439 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Someone else, Lord
Please not me, Lord
I can't go, Lord
I'm too scared, Lord

Thank you for that. It's good, much, much better than the original, which I agree is intensely annoying. I don't know what the second of these two lines really means, but IMHO it is emotionally and spiritually profoundly pretentious.
quote:
I will go Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold Your people in my heart.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 6917 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else ever been irritated by We'll meet again and the line at the end of the chorus But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day.

It was written for a British singer, for British troops so the chances of it being a sunny day were not good...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4378 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Someone left the cake out in the rain/ I don’t think that I can take it/ ‘Cause it took so long to bake it/ And I’ll never have that recipe again."

Great tune, but the words - eugh.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34488 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
"Someone left the cake out in the rain/ I don’t think that I can take it/ ‘Cause it took so long to bake it/ And I’ll never have that recipe again."

The lyrics are surreal in the extreme. I quite like them for that. In an odd way.

--------------------
Blog

Posts: 18058 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's spoken English, poetry and lyrics. Sometime the grammar may be wrong, but the way the lyric fits the tune is terrible.

She was just seventeen, you know what I mean,
And the way she looked was way beyond compare...

As spoken English it grates, the grammar has all sorts of problems, but set to that tune it is perfect.

Lyrics do not need to be gramatical to be good.

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad

ن
blog

Posts: 8472 | From: Proxima b | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Anyone else ever been irritated by We'll meet again and the line at the end of the chorus But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day.

It was written for a British singer, for British troops so the chances of it being a sunny day were not good...

Perhaps indicative of their actual chances of meeting again.

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 61868 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

More chance of that than of seeing bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover.

--------------------
Searching for a new sig...

Posts: 9102 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Perhaps indicative of their actual chances of meeting again.
A friend of my had the Vera Lynn version played for his funeral. Though he was not religious it must have expressed a hope of his.

It is also used as the closing song on the BBC mini-series The Singing Detective where it is interspersed with fragments of earlier scenes. I like it because of that.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2563 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Squeeze, you and your quirky 60s lyrics. I love 'Up The Junction' but no, she didn't give birth in an incubator.

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Oh Squeeze, you and your quirky 60s lyrics. I love 'Up The Junction' but no, she didn't give birth in an incubator.

And '30 minutes later' is a pretty optimistic estimate of labour.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if it's the title, but the song with the words Don't worry, be happy. I'd like to do something nasty to the singer, maybe gag him. [Mad]

And, while I'm having a grump - God is not
watching us from a distance God is right there with us amidst all the crap.

Huia

[ 08. March 2017, 05:56: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9564 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:

It is one of those songs that is so good, I forgive him his lyrical oddities*. You get the ideas from the song anyway. It is factually all wrong, but conceptually - genius.

In a similar vein is REM "Leaving New York". "Leaving New York, Never Easy". Missing a word there Michael. But it gets the feeling over so perfectly.

*That doesn't, of course mean that everyone has to, and does mean it is perfect for this thread.

--------------------
Blog

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That bloody na na na song by Kylie Minogue.

On the upside, none of you people can think of any other irritating songs now [Biased]

--------------------
my new book: Biblical But Bollocks. Available in all good bookshops.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

The lyrics are surreal in the extreme. I quite like them for that. In an odd way.
It was the Sixties. Normal in the circumstances.

--------------------
If someone takes a shot at President Trump will his bodyguards shout "Donald Duck"?

Posts: 23507 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:

On the upside, none of you people can think of any other irritating songs now [Biased]

Fortunately I don't know that one. And wild horses won't make me look it up on YouTube.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fortunately I don't know that one. And wild horses won't make me look it up on YouTube.

You are a very, very lucky person. I've not listened to it for years and just thinking about has made the irritating song reverberate around the inside of my head all day.

--------------------
my new book: Biblical But Bollocks. Available in all good bookshops.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

1979 is hardly the 60s.

I'd like to nominate, just for the one bloody line, that wretched song that goes "Don't waste your time on me, you're already the voice inside my yead[sic]"

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17125 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

Someone else, Lord
Please not me, Lord
I can't go, Lord
I'm too scared, Lord

Thank you for that. It's good, much, much better than the original, which I agree is intensely annoying. I don't know what the second of these two lines really means, but IMHO it is emotionally and spiritually profoundly pretentious.
quote:
I will go Lord, if You lead me.
I will hold Your people in my heart.

If it's annoying Christian music you want, God will ensure that if I've led a wicked life the demons in Hell will sing "Isn't he beautiful?" morning, noon and night.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17125 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Want a bet Mr. Cheesy? I take your "na na na" song and raise you "karma chameleon" which has to be the ultimate ear worm. Why does the singer wear "red coat and green" anyway?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3222 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Red, gold and green, surely

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 2957 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

When I was at college, the restaurant beneath played it (Can't get you out of my head), and you could only hear the bass, where the na na na's went.

Adding "Judy's turn to Cry", sequal to "It's my party", Johnny gets his cake at eats it, and his use violence is seen as a virtue, the other guy is just used and gets a metaphorical as well as physical slap in the face. Judy gets a crappy deal, and Leslie's doesn't exactly seem one to celebrate either.

cygnus
Shipmate
# 3294

- Posted      Profile for cygnus   Email cygnus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"It doesn't really matter if we make it or not"

Then a couple of lines later

"Take my hand and we'll make it I swear"

in Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi

If it doesn't matter, then why are you bothering to try. Obviously it does matter.

Posts: 123 | From: canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
Adding "Judy's turn to Cry", sequal to "It's my party", Johnny gets his cake at eats it, and his use violence is seen as a virtue, the other guy is just used and gets a metaphorical as well as physical slap in the face. Judy gets a crappy deal, and Leslie's doesn't exactly seem one to celebrate either.

Years ago I dreamed out the plot of a movie based on these two songs. After "Judy's Turn to Cry" everybody turns gay, and Judy and Leslie want a sperm donor to have a baby, and for god-knows-what-reason ask Johnny & his husband (the guy he hit in the song) but they refuse.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Concerning 'I the Lord of sea and sky', no-one who has ever heard 'The Greatest Story Ever Told' as performed by the National Theatre of Brent (Patrick Barlow and Jim Broadbent, not necessarily in that order) will ever be able to sing that song with a straight face [Killing me]

And I have to do it, as a member of the worship band, on a regular basis [Two face]

The song that irritates the h*ll out of me is Wham's 'Last Christmas'

Last Christmas, I GEV you my heart

which, once you've heard it, can never be fogotten or overlooked [Mad]

Mrs. S, serenity itself [Mad]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1260 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:

Years ago I dreamed out the plot of a movie based on these two songs. After "Judy's Turn to Cry" everybody turns gay, and Judy and Leslie want a sperm donor to have a baby, and for god-knows-what-reason ask Johnny & his husband (the guy he hit in the song) but they refuse.
Great parody plot. Pity that only people in our generation (who heard the songs ad nauseam in our youth) would understand its truth and beauty.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21072 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the last week and a bit I have been plagued by 'Gentleman' Jim Reeves singing He'll have to go.

Being an ex-sexual health worker - so this is official and not just the product of a dirty mind - I have thought up several extremely unacceptable versions but even they bring me no comfort.

If I was the 'friend there with' her I might well go round and punch his face in - but in a caring, compassionate, Quakerly way.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

Posts: 47625 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

"They say in heaven, love comes first. Oooooh - heaven is a place on earth"

Just so much wrong with this. I mean who says it? I've never heard it. And no, heaven is not a place on earth. By definition.

Aargh.

--------------------
Blog

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Everything is beautiful
In its' own way

And later on, in the same song...

quote:
It's time to realize
That beauty lies
In the eyes of the beholder

Maybe it's just the pedantic, philosophy-minor aspect of my personality coming out, but I think those statements contradict each other.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 5955 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How could we have forgotten Father Abraham and The Smurf Song [Eek!]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4378 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Because the thread is about good songs that have something irritating about them, not musical manure.

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad

ن
blog

Posts: 8472 | From: Proxima b | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
goat
Apprentice
# 18740

- Posted      Profile for goat   Email goat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"In Blake's time there was a widespread belief that the pagan Ancient Britons sacrificed people by grinding them between millstones."
There's heaps of stone in circles , Roman walls and monuments for building Jerusalem and the land becomes Green for peasants .

Posts: 16 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

Because the thread is about good songs that have something irritating about them, not musical manure.
Now, now. It was a children's song, and by the standards of its target demographic, was probably very much beloved.

But yeah, it does have that sort of inspid, overprotective nursery-school quality about it. As a counterpoint here is another kids song, with a somewhat grittier edge to it.

[ 12. March 2017, 08:26: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 5955 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:
quote:

Now, now. It was a children's song, and by the standards of its target demographic, was probably very much beloved.

No, sorry, there is nothing to redeem that song. It was loved because it was an action song. You could have sung any words to it and it would have been enjoyed.

It is the sort of song that gets action songs and kids songs a bad name.

[Whereas action snogs, as I almost put, are fine....]

--------------------
Blog

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:
quote:

No, sorry, there is nothing to redeem that song. It was loved because it was an action song. You could have sung any words to it and it would have been enjoyed.

It is the sort of song that gets action songs and kids songs a bad name.

Are you referring to this song? I ask, because it doesn't really strike me as an action song(there don't seem to be any particular actions performed in that video), and I'm wondering if you might have it confused(as I did, for a while) with the song called "Father Abraham", which goes "Father Abraham/Had Seven sons/Seven sons had etc".

We used to sing the Father Abraham song at day camp, and as I recall, there were actions that went with the words. When I first saw the Father Abraham/Smurf album a few years later, I thought maybe the guy's persona was based on that song.

[ 12. March 2017, 08:55: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

'What's This' from "The Nightmare Before Christmas"

"The smell of cakes and pies are absolutely everywhere"

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

This one definitely fits the theme of the thread, because I love the song in question, but this particular line has always bugged me...

quote:
And now that I don't want for anything
I'll have Al Jolson sing
I'm Sittin' On Top Of The World

Okay, apart from the fact that Al Jolson doesn't deserve any positive memorialization whatsoever, the phrase "I'll have..." sounds really out of place in this context. I don't think I've ever heard those words used to mean the speaker wants to hear a certain song. Mostly, they're used for ordering food in restaurants.

"I hear Al Jolson etc..." would have worked better, since it suggest an ecstatic, mystical state of mind, where he's overwhelmed by musical hallucinations of the past.

[ 12. March 2017, 10:28: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Hey, Andrew Gold? So your parents had the temerity to have a second child. Get over it.

('Lonely Boy' in case you're wondering.)

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Okay, I like Glycerine as much as the next fittingly jaded Gen Xer, but that has to be one of the lamest bridges in musical history. (Starts at about 2:56)

And not just musically, but lyrically as well. "Black moon white again"? Most awkward colour/nature metaphor since Mick's green sea stopped turning a deeper blue.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

As novelty songs go, I Love Onions is pretty good. I like the way the singer's sultry, seductive voice is used to deliver such banal lyrics.

But I hate the guy talking in the Elmer Fudd voice, in the middle and at the very end.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

This is slightly off the original topic, but the radio edit of Pinks "little pill" (which I keep getting played at me on the radio) always bugs me:

"I tried to call the nurse again, but she's being a little ___"

The missing word rhymes with "itch" and "switch". And the blank in song makes it stand out far more than if they left it in.

--------------------
Blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016