homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Best Advice you've ever given ? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Best Advice you've ever given ?
Garden Hermit
Shipmate
# 109

- Posted      Profile for Garden Hermit     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meaningful phrases not necessarily from Grandma's Lips.
Mine is 'Don't take yourself too seriously because no-one else will'. Are there any other good ones ?

Posts: 1410 | From: Reading UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't do anything in the way of permanent decision-making during the first year after a bereavement.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19857 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Life is not a rehearsal. Although that is a well-known saying, when I was told it, it was the first time I'd heard it.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 2872 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Say yes. Life is short.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5082 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everything you've ever wanted is one step outside your comfort zone.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9180 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

Best advice? Never post a Heavenly thread in Purgatory [Biased]

Hold on tight...

/hosting

--------------------
One has to take part. Scary as it is. - Martin60
Jerusalem is a city without walls

Posts: 16894 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it isn't broken, don't fix it!

(A lot of people have real trouble with this one).

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 920 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
or as Mel Brooks said in the opening song of The Twelve Chairs Hope for the best, expect the worst. The worlds a play, we're unrehearsed.
Posts: 2965 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Money can't buy happiness . . . but it can put a down payment on it.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10128 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never buy meat from a steeplejack.
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunday's on the road to Monday, and Tuesday's on the road to me. Oh Yeah.

Profound, but misheard lyric of course.

--------------------
The opinions expressed above are transitory emotional responses and do not necessarily reflect the considered views of the author.

Posts: 763 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't pretend to be stupider than you really are. It might stick.

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 62704 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Make no admissions.

2. Never resign.

3. Never run out of garlic.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6494 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Garden Hermit
Shipmate
# 109

- Posted      Profile for Garden Hermit     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another - Treat every day as if it is your last, - because one day you'll be right.
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Told a shy 16 year old what I wish someone had said to me at that age:

1. The worst she's likely to do is say no;
2. If she does, you'll get over it;
3. And if she does, you'll be in exactly same position as if you never ask.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17342 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd rather live my life like God exists and find out he doesn't -- than live it like he doesn't exist and find out he does.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10128 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Choose your battles carefully.
Posts: 2121 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes your heart needs more time to accept what your mind already knows.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9180 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go for it.
If you get tired you can rest
If you get hurt you can recover.
If you fail you can try again.

Had to do with sports but later I applied it to life in general.

Posts: 2562 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roman Cataholic
Apprentice
# 18736

- Posted      Profile for Roman Cataholic   Email Roman Cataholic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't have arguments that aren't worth having.
Posts: 13 | From: Surrey | Registered: Feb 2017  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't trust any advice you receive from anyone
Posts: 3659 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In your case 'til death you part isn't a promise, it's a threat.

(They stayed married)

Posts: 10582 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doone:
Choose your battles carefully.

One in particular which I advise parents of small children: "Never try to force kids to eat something they don't like".

It's not worth the hassle.

Let them go hungry if they choose.

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't listen to me! I don't know what I'm doing!
Posts: 851 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It takes a long time and it annoys the pig
Posts: 3659 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody in your class is going to mock your presentation. They are all way too busy worrying about being mocked for their own.

[ 21. March 2017, 20:10: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

Posts: 19857 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Garden Hermit
Shipmate
# 109

To Paratroopers landing on D-Day inland on French Soil - If you land in the wrong spot get your Parachute off and start fighting furiously. The Germans will think you have landed in the Right Spot. Obvious implications in Life generally. No need to tell people you've made a mistake.
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That gels with my philosophy: Don't waste time pining what you might have done; just do the best you can from where you are.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 552 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never make any major decisions while horizontal.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3081 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a wedding day, to the bride and groom: "it's everybody's wedding, but it's your marriage. Don't let anyone else try to live their life through it".

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 23838 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Told a shy 16 year old what I wish someone had said to me at that age:

1. The worst she's likely to do is say no;
2. If she does, you'll get over it;
3. And if she does, you'll be in exactly same position as if you never ask.

I was a shy, and very self-conscious, teenager and my father told me something I never forgot:
You wouldn't worry so much over what other people think about you if you knew how rarely they did.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garden Hermit:
No need to tell people you've made a mistake.

No, not in an adversarial situation like fighting German soldiers on the beaches.

However, whenever I mess up in teaching my class(eg.show up 20 minutes late because I slept in), my personal policy is to inform my boss of it as soon as possible. Because I'd rather have her find out from me right away, then have a student tell her a week later, and then she wonders "Hmm, why didn't Stetson tell me about this?"

Posts: 6212 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are not sure if it is chocolate or poo, never assume it is chocolate. Especially if handed to you by a toddler.

Despite the fact that it gets a bad press, mutton is delicious, especially in a pie.

Ducks are great listeners and never sit in judgement.

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quoting Auntie Mame: 'Life is a banquet and most poor S.O.B.s are starving to death.'

'At night all cats are grey.' Subsequently revised in my college days to 'At night all cats are gay.' (Well, not all, but many.)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1636 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank people.
Posts: 628 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha! Twilight, that reminds of something my mother used to say when I was getting stressed about what to wear: 'no-one will be looking at you anyway'.

I offer the only other pieces of advice she gave me:

Never buy a tie for a man

The housework will still be there next week.

M.

Posts: 2222 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you're in a hole, stop digging.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1006 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Garden Hermit
Shipmate
# 109

When all else fails, try doing it like your Grandma told you to.
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
When you're in a hole, stop digging.

Unless your name is trump. Here - borrow my shovel.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 819 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't keep things for 'Best': if people give you nice things use them, because your relatives won't thank you for leaving them with a pile of stuff.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4537 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents' contribution:

If in doubt, turn off the gas and don't marry him.

Covers so many of life's dilemmas.

On my own account I would add:

Do not underestimate the hamster. Whatever you think it can't get out of: IT CAN.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 580 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Check the supply of toilet paper before company comes.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 819 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Check the supply of toilet paper before company comes.

Especially if you are an hour from closest shops over rough dirt roads.

Allied to this is advice I had to give to women visitors after one relieved herself out in the bush while climbing and squatted over stinging nettle. [Eek!]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9150 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Helen-Eva:
quote:
Do not underestimate the hamster. Whatever you think it can't get out of: IT CAN.
Very true. My first hamster I adopted when he had escaped my roommate's hamster nursery and camped out in my furry boot for two days. He also escaped the cage I got him and used his freedom to play in the hamster ball and trap himself in the bathroom. My next hamster escaped his cage and was found a building away in my apartment complex. After that it was rats, then guinea pigs, both species which considered a nice, well-kept cage home after they had finished playing in the living room and were ready for a little nosh.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21218 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're caught short in the hills and need to pee, make sure your backpack is uphill

To a perfectionist 5 year old crying because she made an error in her work, "Everyone makes mistakes sometimes Kylie, that's why they put erasers on the end of pencils.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9850 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Octopi too. And even box turtles. Mine hid beneath our water heater--I have no idea how it climbed the pedestal.

[ 26. March 2017, 06:17: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
from John Ortberg: when you're in your 20s you spend most of your time worrying about what everyone else is thinking about you. In your 30s that pressure becomes tiresome and you begin to resent it. In your 40s you realize no one was thinking that much about you.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 10803 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never take laxatives and sleeping tablets together.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3256 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was about 24, my fencing coach stopped me in the middle of training and said,"You cannot attack and defend at the same time. Choose a course of action and commit to it."

I went home that night thinking about all the different ways that statement applied to my life.

--------------------
"Take your broken heart, make it into art"-- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Posts: 35036 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016