homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Close your eyes then tell me ....

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Close your eyes then tell me ....
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What does the Easter Bunny look like?

[Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12269 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About 3-4' high, white fur, standing upright with a wicker basket of colorful dyed eggs in his left paw.

OTOH, I've always been fond of "The Country Bunny And The Little Gold Shoes" (Wikipedia). It's a wonderful Easter picture book by DuBose Heyward, about a potential Easter rabbit who is none of those things. She's a mama bunny (21 kids!), and she's brown, and she was turned down when she applied to be an Easter bunny. But then... [Smile]

Really good book, and in print since 1939! Pictures and excerpts available at Google Books.

[Yipee]

[ 31. March 2017, 07:32: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17127 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Peter Rabbit but with dollar symbols for eyes.

In any case, if we're going to be strictly accurate, it should be an easter hare.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4477 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He is six foot, three and a half inches tall and invisible...oh, no. Wait. That's Harvey.

Although, now that I think about it, the Easter Bunny might well be a pooka, too.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2518 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L'organist--

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Like Peter Rabbit but with dollar symbols for eyes.

In any case, if we're going to be strictly accurate, it should be an easter hare.

Why a hare, please? If it's not a bunny, why not a Jackalope?
[Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17127 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because in German tradition it is the Easter Hare who brings eggs to children. Plus you often find hares in mediaeval church decoration or in illuminated manuscripts. It was widely thought that hares were hermaphrodite, so there is also a link between the hare, seemingly being able to reproduce without sex, and the BVM.

Lutheran immigrants probably took the story of the hare to the US, giving rise to the modern Easter Bunny.

--------------------

Posts: 4477 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is to be my grandson's first Easter, he being nine months old. I bought him an Easter bunny finger puppet. Small enough for little hands to grip.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 4746 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
German small mammal legends never cease to amaze. Groundhog Day is another one that has been adopted in America, without any popular understanding of the original story.

Whatever the Easer Bunny looks like, I've never seen a costume version that isn't creepy as all get out.

A few years ago, I was out in the churchyard and happened upon the remains of a small bunny who had a run-in with a neighborhood cat. I quickly realized that any child finding such a thing two days later during the church's Easter egg hunt would be traumatized. Which is how I ended up in full choir robes walking down the alley with a dead bunny in a snow shovel. Lord only knows what a passerby might have thought I was up to...

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3028 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well the odd thing for me was as a child I was sure he was male and yet he laid eggs.

On a side note I would go with friends to the White House to roll our eggs on the lawn. No tickets required, the gates were opened and you just walked in with your baskets and played games with your friends. No sign of the Commander in Chief or anyone else, other then the Park Police and a few others. Just a bunch of kids and their Mothers the Monday after Easter rolling their Easter eggs around. My how times have changed in 70 years.

--------------------
Notice to police, Should my body ever be found on a jogging trail, know that I was murdered elsewhere and my body dumped there."

Posts: 2547 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW there is no sign that there is going to be an Egg Roll at the White House this Easter Monday at all. No planning has gone into it and so far as anyone knows no one is in charge of the event. It is of course an innocent and un-flashy event solely for the the entertainment of children and residents of the local area. None of these things hold the tiniest interest for the current incumbent.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been wondering about the White House Easter Egg Roll this year. I really can't see #45 and/or his children (nor his current wife) hosting this. Surprisingly, I haven't heard anything about it.

(Sorry for the continuing tangent...)

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9015 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I've been wondering about the White House Easter Egg Roll this year. I really can't see #45 and/or his children (nor his current wife) hosting this. Surprisingly, I haven't heard anything about it.

(Sorry for the continuing tangent...)

This was actually a cross-post, not a reply to Brenda. But it works that way too.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I was wrong! They're already organizing a lottery for tickets to get into the WH Egg Roll. Which is to be on April 17, clear your calendar now!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I was wrong! They're already organizing a lottery for tickets to get into the WH Egg Roll. Which is to be on April 17, clear your calendar now!

Has there been any indication of whether the PG or his family will participate?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Nope. This would be a heaven-sent opportunity for Barron and Melania, you would think. But frankly I would not let the PG near my children.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have to roll the eggs? or can you thrown them?

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer
(formerly was just "no prophet") \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 10435 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Do you have to roll the eggs? or can you thrown them?

Only the uncooked ones.
[Snigger]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Back to the OP, sort of, this is NOT what the Easter Bunny looks like.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Made of chocolate covered in gold paper with a little bell round its neck.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3067 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lush! [Snigger]
Posts: 2047 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

posted by Sparrow
quote:
...chocolate covered in gold paper with a little bell round its neck.
The bell on a dark brown ribbon and proper dark chocolate (its called Li**t).

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All chocolate Easter bunnies are solid chocolate of course, and not those cheap hollow things with airy insides.

--------------------
Notice to police, Should my body ever be found on a jogging trail, know that I was murdered elsewhere and my body dumped there."

Posts: 2547 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not have a proper password course of the Easter Bunny. Always more bothered about it he chic eggs

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1879 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I imagine him looking just like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland. Of course, he's always at risk of being late and being caught putting out the last few eggs by wide awake, observant, chocolate-starved children.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34509 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I imagine him looking just like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland. Of course, he's always at risk of being late and being caught putting out the last few eggs by wide awake, observant, chocolate-starved children.

Me too - except that he's pink! [Eek!]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12269 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016