homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Personal Creeds ?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Personal Creeds ?
Garden Hermit
Shipmate
# 109

- Posted      Profile for Garden Hermit     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel uneasy about Creeds that were 'cobbled' together over many years to reflect what we/you/I should/do believe is Christianity.

Do other Ship-Mates have their own Creed/Beliefs ?

So this is my Creed ...

I am not an Expert and therefore can't really be sure of anything.
I can't believe that Humans are the most intelligent species in the Universe.
I believe the Universe and all that was in it, shows design, but by whom and why and where and when I do not know.
I believe that the concepts of Beauty, Love, Humility, Kindness, Repentance, Forgiveness are exceptional important and somehow behind Human existence.
I think every Human action is important and unkind ones do have to be forgiven or put right.
I do believe in the existence of Right and Wrong, Good and Evil.
I think the Person who seems to reflect my views most was a Man called Jesus of Nazareth.
I believe he was unjustly nailed to a Cross but somehow survived it.
I feel he was onto something when he said we were all Sons and Daughters of a much higher being, who we should address as Father.
But to repeat ..
I am not an Expert and therefore can't really be sure of anything.
The whole story seems to be an appealing Enigma with no answer that a Human Brain can understand.

Posts: 1403 | From: Reading UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe in a reality called God. I am not sure if God is literally a "person" or if "person" is just a pretty apt metaphor designed to accommodate to our limited, human understanding. In that sense, I am not an atheist.
I believe that Jesus of Nazareth, as understood by the church throughout the centuries, is the shape, the form that this God is visible to me.
The Church, through the sharing of the Eucharist, the reading of the ancient words, and the witness to justice and peace, clumsily, and often imperfectly witnesses to the reality that is God.
This I proclaim, and if I die and find out that this is all BS, at least I die a fool in love.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4158 | From: Vancouver Island | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wot Anglican_Brat said.

I think.

[Overused]

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 7316 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Garden Hermit
Shipmate
# 109

- Posted      Profile for Garden Hermit     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have trouble distinguishing between 'feeling' and 'believing'. Does that sound strange. So I feel Jesus knew more than anyone else and was on the right path, but I can't say that I 'believe' what others told me he meant.
Posts: 1403 | From: Reading UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been reading a bit of Marcus Borg over the last few weeks, and he maintains that "believe" means something different when said in the creeds and bible than when we say it today. He saw it more as a pledge or commitment than an affirmation that you think something is true. He often wrote that you could probably read it as "belove" rather than "believe."

I don't know just how uncontroversial this point is among people who actually study these texts for a living. But it might be a useful thing to consider when struggling with the Creeds- Borg considers it a starting place for defending the use of the Creeds of the historic church in Progressive environments where many if not most of the members of the congregation aren't sure at all that any of it happened as reported in the Creeds. And it goes along with your point about "feeling" rather than "believing."

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 2974 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once wrote a very complex one that had a commentary on the actual text and ended in frustration with "let God be God"

A wise friend commented that it was either that or very short. His was "I believe God is Love"

I often think on this but it has got shorter over the years. When he told me I would already have serious problems with "love" due to the way that term is commonly abused so I would have had to settle for
"I believe God is"

Then I began to wonder whether you could really say God existed so to use the term to be was not appropriate so it became
"I believe in God"

Finally, I have got huge problems in deciding what I meant by "believe" and what I mean by performing it. So my creed on my friends premise is
"God"

It suffices.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Walking 18 miles to help Refugees get an education.

Posts: 20357 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garden Hermit:
I feel uneasy about Creeds that were 'cobbled' together over many years to reflect what we/you/I should/do believe is Christianity.

Do other Ship-Mates have their own Creed/Beliefs ?

It is not my creed, but much of My Seen Creed resonates with me.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2564 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was rather heavily indoctrinated in my youth by activity, not by formal things like book-written creeds.

So without really calling it a creed, I have had this in my mind for at least 50 years, though often jumbled and not all the same time:

Mind your own business and let others live as they please.
Don't hurt or inconvenience other people while you do your own thing.
Put others first whenever you can.
Never forget that evil people truly exist.
God probably won't directly help you with anything or answer your prayers, but it might be comforting to think so sometimes. Swearing both generally and at God is apparently also prayer, which is really annoying.
When people ask you "do you know Jesus" (or God or any other religion), it is best to respond "it is unlikely that I believe precisely as you do".
There are some things which seem at the time to be worse than death, but it isn't true.

It's probably bogus to add this version of the Filoque I learned from boarding school because it isn't so much about believing than doing:

If you need to defend yourself physically from someone else's son, aim for the nose or the groin. If it's a group attack on you, pick one son and hurt him. Because being seen as dangerous prevents future attacks.

Posts: 10191 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine starts with, "If nobody else has gotten the Christian Faith right yet, then it is infinitely improbable that I will be the first one to do so."

Which leads me to the Nicene Creed in very few steps. (Mate in 5, say.)

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 61925 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'm having deja vu all over again. Didn't we once have a make-your-own-creed project back in the mists of time? But I've looked in Limbo in the Heaven section and I don't see it. Might it have been on another board? Maybe I'm dreaming. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21089 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I think I'm having deja vu all over again. Didn't we once have a make-your-own-creed project back in the mists of time? But I've looked in Limbo in the Heaven section and I don't see it. Might it have been on another board? Maybe I'm dreaming. [Ultra confused]

You're not dreaming. It was more than 10 years ago (2006) and I'm sure we have many people here now who weren't aboard Ship then. Most memorable to me for being the contest where I came fourth and they gave prizes to first, second, and third place winners.

The competition rules, various people's entries, and the subsequent discussion, all make for interesting reading. I'm sure for people who have been here for 10+ years and participated, it would be intriguing to read your own Credo and see if/how your beliefs have changed since 2006.

It's an exercise well worth doing, I think -- to explore your own personal set of beliefs and try to put them into words.

(Note that the original Credo discussion was in Purgatory and there has been some backstage discussion amongst Hosts about whether this current thread belongs in Heaven or Purgatory. Likely it will depend on the direction the discussion takes, but for now, bloom where you're planted as we're staying here in Heaven).

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7255 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Trudy. It will be fun to take a look at our efforts.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21089 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anglican Brat wrote: [QUOTE] "The Church, through . . . the witness to justice and peace, clumsily, and often imperfectly witnesses to the reality that is God."

Hymnal had one that went:
"Wherever goodness lurks/we catch Thy tones appealing,
Where Man for Justice works/Thou art Thyself revealing."]

--------------------
Notice to police, Should my body ever be found on a jogging trail, know that I was murdered elsewhere and my body dumped there."

Posts: 2523 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lurking and revealing? Sounds like a sort of heavenly flasher to me.

Not very comfortable with this 'personal creeds' thing, even when they don't - and the ones here don't- start to slip into the territory and language of those rather twee made up vows you sometimes get at free-form weddings ('I will always be here for you, will always plump your pillow and never complain when you squeeze the toothpaste from the middle of the tube'- you know the kind of thing).

You may have your own reservations or quirks of interpretation but by using the Creeds you are placing yourself in the context of the Church over time and space, with, yes, all its ups and downs and cobblings together.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6269 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago, I came across the Virtual Church of the Blind Chihuahua

The opening description now reads:
quote:
Welcome to the Virtual Church of the Blind Chihuahua! It operated at www.dogchurch.org from July 4, 1996 - Nov 9, 2016. It now exists as this blog (dogchurch.blogspot.com). It continues to be a sacred place in cyberspace named after a little old dog with cataracts, who barked sideways at strangers, because he couldn't see where they were. We humans relate to God in the same way, making a more or less joyful noise in God's general direction, and expecting a reward for doing so. Hence our creeds:

We can't be right about everything we believe.
Thank God, we don't have to be!

and

There is more to religion than pleasing your Imaginary Friend!

Something for everyone there! I particularly like the idea of the "more or less joyful noise (aimed) in God's general direction". Unfortunately, on most occasions in church the "less joyful" aspect is more likely than the "more".

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5354 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
It is not my creed, but much of My Seen Creed resonates with me.

I've not seen that before, I am much impressed by it, thanks.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 47691 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
...So my creed on my friends premise is "God"

It suffices.

Jengie

Thank you Jengie, that makes perfect sense to me.

--------------------

Posts: 47691 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was an awful boy band song a few years - probably 15 or more by now - which was a sort of credal statement. Fortunately I've forgotten it now but it was of the "I want to run like the animals careless and free" (yeah, tell a fleeing gazelle that) and "I want to run through the jungle the wind in my hair and sand on my feet" (Jungle? Run? Wind? Sand?) merit. May have been the same band. May have been the same song. [Projectile]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18431 | From: scarily close to 40° | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for this thread.
I still rather like my creed from 2006.

Interestingly, I thought this board helped shape my changing theology. My expressed creed perhaps suggests that it was a safe space to explore and refine some changes that had already occurred.

Thank you fellow reprobates.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I still recall with some amusement and affection an elderly Friend from my Quaker Meeting suggesting that we all write down our own personal creed, seal it in an envelope and lock it in the Meeting House safe for a decade - the idea being that if, after said decade, we still hold the same beliefs then there is something wrong somewhere!

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would identify with a lot wrong... [Big Grin]

For me, what I wrote really is and remains my core understanding.

I would alter some of the language, and probably put hope rather than believe...

quote:
I believe in God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, the living demonstration of a relationship of love.

I believe God through Christ enabled me to enter His Relationship and this is sustained and renewed by the Holy Spirit.

I believe I was created for the purpose to be in loving relationship with God; and flowing out of that, with all mankind.

I believe..

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Creation? And the restoration of the whole created order?

Or just personal salvation?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 22716 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
. . .the territory and language of those rather twee made up vows you sometimes get at free-form weddings ('I will always be here for you, will always plump your pillow and never complain when you squeeze the toothpaste from the middle of the tube'- you know the kind of thing).

You may have your own reservations or quirks of interpretation but by using the Creeds you are placing yourself in the context of the Church over time and space, with, yes, all its ups and downs and cobblings together.

My wife and I attended the wedding of one of her co-workers many years ago where the couple changed part of the vows to "as long as we both shall love."
[Projectile]

The historic Creeds are, of course, statements of the Church's faith and have exactly the function Albertus described. I do find some value in exercises like writing your own "creed." It can help clarify your own beliefs and values.

--------------------
An omer is a tenth of an ephah. (Exodus 16:36)

Posts: 1117 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Creation? And the restoration of the whole created order?

Or just personal salvation?

I identify with the tweeness mentioned by Albertus.

I guess it depends on your definition of relationship.
I wouldn't impose my creed on anybody else.

But for me, relationship is broad- I would take it down to string theory which connects all of creation.

And time is merely a construct. I believe this is how forgiveness works- we are already forgiven/invited into relationship for our entire life as our entire life has already happened- we just haven't seen all of it yet...

But I concur Leo, mine is certainly a personal creed. And today I would certainly alter the wording, whilst maintaining similar content.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016