homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Respect the Malt

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Respect the Malt
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over the last year or so my digestive systems has been unhelpfully hinting that it is no longer prepared to deal with neat whisky. Shame!

I think it could still cope at a lower alcohol percentage. But what can you mix with malt whisky without causing generations of dedicated Scots distillers to turn in their collective graves?

What would shipmates recommend? Spring water? Something more exotic? Or should I just give my remaining bottles away to someone who can still enjoy them in the fashion that the Good Lord Intended?

Posts: 1046 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Branch (spring) water is traditional. But surely it is possible to lower the dose? One glassful becomes a half, a half thinned down to a quarter.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 4369 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With some digestive issues it's the ABV that matters, not the total alcohol. Spring water is the only acceptable option.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17127 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Solid water can also be acceptable (ice) though many of us don't like the cold. Another alternative is to have the water in another tumbler. Having a supper first is helpful to provide furnishing in the tum where conversations are made more gentle amid the tripes.

--------------------
We must learn to live in harmony with nature. If we don't cease believing we can master and dominate it, life on Earth may be destroyed.
(formerly known more succinctly as "no prophet"), either way not be taken seriously. \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 10127 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Solid water can also be acceptable (ice) though many of us don't like the cold. Another alternative is to have the water in another tumbler. Having a supper first is helpful to provide furnishing in the tum where conversations are made more gentle amid the tripes.

Ice in decent whisky is an outrage! It not only suppresses the aroma (which may be desirable for North American whiskies) but according to an expert friend, it damages the molecular structure of a Scotch whisky that has taken years to evolve in the cask. I have to confess that my own tolerance has also become limited these days, but since my taste is for the peaty Islay malts, I will take a small dram, and will be content to inhale it for a long time before taking a sip, with the warmth of the hand helping to release the aroma. That wouldn't work so well with ice in it.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 790 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Philip Charles

Ship's cutler
# 618

- Posted      Profile for Philip Charles   Author's homepage   Email Philip Charles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am happy to provide a solution by disposing of that nasty indigestible fluid for you.

--------------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Posts: 83 | From: Dunedin, NZ | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I currently have a bottle of cask strength, which needs a touch of water to release the flavour properly. I use ordinary tap water, but it is just a splash.

If you need more water than that (which I suspect you do), spring water it has to be. You need to simply dilute the whisky, without changing the flavour, so it has to be pure water. At room temperature, otherwise you might as well drink Bells.

And if you do need to get rid of some, please do let me know, as I would hate for it to go to waste. My guts are well and truly lined with all sorts, so something pure is a pleasure!

--------------------
Blog
My books for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18058 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Malt whisky is, as you say, best neat.

If you must, try adding a little water: room temperature, definitely not sparkling and never chilled. I'd advise against using either Malvern or Badoit because they have their own 'tang'.

Never, never, never put ice anywhere near a good single malt.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4378 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People in frozen climes (-11°C here this morn) put frozen shards of water in, and let the ice slowly melt as the fire flickers behind, after coming in from the fading strands of sunset and northern lights just switching on. Experts tell me that this slow process of gentle temperature change nurses the molecules to sing hymns to smoke, peat and sometimes (eg, Laphroig) iodine.

--------------------
We must learn to live in harmony with nature. If we don't cease believing we can master and dominate it, life on Earth may be destroyed.
(formerly known more succinctly as "no prophet"), either way not be taken seriously. \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 10127 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is moving, to see all the kindly SoF denizens who are stepping up to help consume the malt. We are one in the spirit!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 4369 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I am the Walrus. Did it taste like egg?

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21072 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Solid water can also be acceptable ...

No it can't. Heretick. [Devil]

According to a friend of ours who used to be the manager of the Highland Park distillery, the correct thing is to put a splash of spring water in a good malt (and Highland Park is most certainly a good malt).

He also said he would serve the 12-year-old (which was at the time the longest-aged whisky they made) in brandy-glasses as a post-prandial to people who preferred brandy and found that they rather enjoyed it.

Whether it would dilute it enough for TT's constitution to cope, I wouldn't know, but I'd say it was worth a try.

--------------------
"It's not so much the toes", said Piglet, "as the ears". A. A. Milne
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 18509 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am the Walrus. Did it taste like egg?

A man whose soul has become so depraved will think nothing of committing blasphemy at least once a day.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 790 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I sometimes commit blasphemy three times before breakfast. Before the cock crows.

Here's more depravity: Turning Japanese.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

quote:
I sometimes commit blasphemy three times before breakfast. Before the cock crows.

Almost the definition of false religion - it doesn't matter how persuasive their prophets are. The most important ingredient of a Scotch whisky is Scotland itself. Every time your body is united with the sublime spirit, a little of Scotland becomes part of you - terribly important if you know and love the place. We could, of course, follow the process through to when your body has finished processing it, but that is unnecessary for the purpose of the present discussion.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whether or not your tripes can cope with a dram may also depend on the fieriness of the drink, and some distilleries produce a smoother product than others.

For preference I'd choose Edradour but if you're finding it all a bit harsh try to track down a malt from Auchentoshan: the whiskies from here are ultra-smooth because they are distilled more than once.

If its the smokiness of the malt that is getting to you, then you need the standard product from Bruichladdich which is unpeated.

Of course, there is fine whisky distilled in Wales...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4378 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I must admit that there are some very good Japanese whiskies. They're not very smoky or peaty, comparable to many Lowland malts, though the Yoichi from the Nikka distillary on Hokaido is more peaty and excellent.

Though having visited the Nikka distillary in Miyagi, near Sendai (I would love to get up to Hokaido one day) it lacks the charm of a Scottish distillary. A beautiful setting around a small lake, but it's a vast site producing whisky on an industrial scale (many Scottish distillaries would fit inside just one of their still houses). Whisky with a Japanese soul rather than a Scottish one.

--------------------
Citizen of the world.

Posts: 31352 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't understand food and drink snobbery. If you still like it when mixed with something, then have it that way. If you don't, then give it away.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2171 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

Of course, there is fine whisky distilled in Wales...

There is indeed, very smooth and just a sense that honey was sitting on a shelf in the distillery.

Alas, it is not available in Canada, possibly only in Wales, although I was able to pick up a litre in the Duty Free shop at Heathrow a couple of years ago.

John

Posts: 5856 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016