homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Random House

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Random House
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't look like we currently have a functioning thread for making random observations or comments that are unworthy of their own thread, or of any further discussion. But I have a bit of randomness that needs such a thread.

So, last night, the Phillies beat the Washington Nationals 17-3. You don't often see 17 runs scored in a baseball game. But while I was watching the TV just now they showed a shot of the scoreboard. The Phillies were the home team, so they were listed second. That meant the score was listed like this on the scoreboard:

And that made me think that it looked liked a Biblical citation (3:17). And that made me curious as to what the associated Gospel verse would be for each Gospel.

Matthew 3:17: And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Mark 3:17: James son of Zebedee and his brother John (to them he gave the name Boanerges, which means “sons of thunder”),...

Luke 3:17: His winnowing fork is in his hand to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

John 3:17: For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2458 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one. I've been listening to little else but Verdi's LaTraviata for about 2 months due to being in it at Haddo House. Today I've left the PC playing my random music and so far it's been Kirsty McColl, Lady Antebellum, the Levellers and Lady Gaga.

Cattyish, opera come-down.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1772 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
John 3:17: For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

It looked wrong for a second as I think of that whole section being 3:16 (I sometimes start 3:15 but not later).
3:15/16 does seem to hit a lot of the interesting passages. I don't know if that's an illusion.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016