homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Pull To Open: Doctor Who 2017 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pull To Open: Doctor Who 2017
simontoad
Shipmate
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you use Google Chrome you can block those annoying pop-ups.

Boom-tish.

--------------------
The opinions expressed above are transitory emotional responses and do not necessarily reflect the considered views of the author.

Posts: 506 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, no, since it was an internal brain link - should have been clearer.
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Given the rumours floating around, I'm going for the first Doctor in the Vault.

Nah. I'm going for the next Doctor in the Vault.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 17875 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
ACK
Apprentice
# 16756

- Posted      Profile for ACK   Email ACK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who was the girl in the astronaut suit?
In the Impossible Astronaut, River, Amy and Rory see someone in a space suit kill the Doctor. Later on in the story they meet the Doctor from earlier in his timeline.
In a later story, they find someone in a space suit whom Amy shoots. They then discover she is a little girl. She survives and escapes the suit, River pointing out how strong she is to tear herself out of it.
At the end of the episode we see the little girl begin to regenerate.

--------------------
Rule 1: The Doctor Lies

Posts: 21 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that might be the incident. But, in describing that farrago of nonsense, the last word I would have used is "obvious".

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8851 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since the piano-playing thing last week, there's now a small but vocal fraction of fandom who are rooting for it to be Liberace in the vault.

Now that's scary.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9717 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it will be the Master in the vault. We know he disappeared with the Time Lords in the knock four times episode, but after that we don't know anything about the male master and when he regenerated into Missy. As Missy was in the trailer for next weeks episode there would have to be some really wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff going on.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1878 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK - the Doctor meet the Matrix. Interesting.

--------------------
Blog
My books for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18163 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Half way through. Dan Brown?
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did I miss the reason that Missy was due to be executed?

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1066 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
OK - the Doctor meet the Matrix. Interesting.

Oh, that Matrix

Thought on the whole it was relatively sympathetic to the organization. There were a few odd bits that could have been fixed easily (comments of age of document, no consideration of diabolical intervention). But no worse than the technological 'whats!'

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this was the best episode of the series so far, and now we do know who is in the vault!

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 369 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:

No. that wasn't made clear. Yet.

--------------------
Blog
My books for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18163 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely The Master/Missy has been scheduled for execution half a hundred times. Another one is par for the course, even if this time the executioners understand a bit more about how to actually kill a Time Lord. And a bit less about their chosen executioner.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2484 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found that very odd, and I didn't really like it.

I rewound and watched some of it again. And there was an early clue to what was going on... the problem being it was SO early that it wasn't helpful, in fact it feels as if it was deliberately designed to be forgotten by occurring before there was any useful reference point.

The other glaring problem is that the story only makes sense if some things have been happening EXACTLY, right up to the moment that Extremis starts.

[EDIT: Even bigger problem now that I think of it as I rewatch... how does the story even work whenever the Doctor isn't present?]

And what the heck happened to the Cardinal anyway? Why get rid of him?

[ 21. May 2017, 12:12: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 17875 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:

No reason was given. But she's the Master. We may presume that she tried to implement an overelaborate plan to take over the universe and it blew up in her face not before a lot of people died. (See: almost every appearance of the Master ever.)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 9987 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ACK
Apprentice
# 16756

- Posted      Profile for ACK   Email ACK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we never learn what crime someone sentenced Missy to be executed for, does it matter? This is Missy, there is hardly a shortage of reasons.

Nardole turns up with a book which had been left in the Library. If he has been to the Library to get it, then he is badass.
But then the Doctor trusts him:
1) With the sonic screwdriver to keep Darleks off his back.
2) To make him keep his promise.
3) To make tea.
4) With the fact he is blind.
The Doctor tells him to walk ahead of Bill to protect her in case someone starts shooting at them and he does so.
River Song trusts him to look after the Doctor.

One thing I have difficulty swallowing with Extremis is the claim that everyone will react the same to something.
Admittedly the last translator does something different first - then reacts the same as everyone else and the Doctor does something completely differently.

--------------------
Rule 1: The Doctor Lies

Posts: 21 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ACK:
If we never learn what crime someone sentenced Missy to be executed for, does it matter? This is Missy, there is hardly a shortage of reasons.
One thing I have difficulty swallowing with Extremis is the claim that everyone will react the same to something.
Admittedly the last translator does something different first - then reacts the same as everyone else and the Doctor does something completely differently. [/QB]

It would be nice to have a reason, even (especially), if it's a noodle incident.

That's where I'd expect clerics to be even more skeptical and immune than the scientists. They already have the built in claims of an outside.

I could see a non-insignificant subset of scientists getting angsty,
But even then they have considered the possibility that there's only one electron (and even the non religious ones, have heard of religions).
The pseudo-scientific 'rationalistic atheists' did get in a confusion with a hypothetical computer that puts you in hell.

Though, having said it's unrealistic, it could, ironically make sense as part of a simulation. The simulated world without Einstein might be a bit different, but less so than him being a Simulationist (or a divide by zero error or whatever). So as a crude bug suppressant it may make sense (especially given the lousy quality of their rng generator).

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So let me get this straight. Alien invaders create a computer simulation to practice invading. And, within this simulation, there is a document called Veritas, that can be translated and reveal that everything is a simulation.

Why would the alien invaders have bothered to put such an item into the simulation? What benefit would it provide their invasion? Or are we to believe that somebody within the simulation, some time after it started, figured out it was a simulation and prepared Veritas...so that a bunch of religious types could then translate it and send it to scientists types? Because that seemed like a reasonable approach to take??? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2486 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:

Or are we to believe that somebody within the simulation, some time after it started, figured out it was a simulation and prepared Veritas...so that a bunch of religious types could then translate it and send it to scientists types? Because that seemed like a reasonable approach to take??? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

I'm assuming it was written to keep things aware, rather than as part of a definite plan (but we might find out otherwise).
But that and the fact that despite having virtual hardware, it doesn't have a virtual network.

I suspect with setting up the date the simulated half of the story is going to be repeated, but different.

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And a little completely unwarranted speculation: So the monks in the simulation tended to open their mouths and words came out without the mouth actually moving to form them.

Creepy.

And interesting. That was a trademark of the original Mondasian Cybermen... who are slated to appear later this season. Interesting. Coincidence or connection?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2486 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only Shipmate who was deeply confused by last night's episode? Even after watching it twice?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8851 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Am I the only Shipmate who was deeply confused by last night's episode? Even after watching it twice?

Depends on the confusion.

If big picture confused, I think probably a minority, and probably overthinking it.

There were two plots that were more or less independent (trying to avoid spoilers).

One, in flash back "the dr is committed to deal with the master and ... ... ..." he learns something about himself that relates to plot 2.

Two "the pope asks the dr to help with an ancient unbearable secret. He finds it out. 'Aliens are planning to invade and to prepare they have ... ... ...' . The ... Dr can't ..., but he can ... ... ... "
Coda, at the end the two threads are about to come together in the replay.

If confused about the consequences and connections, definitely not.

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really enjoyed this episode, but want to watch it again before commenting further, except to say I loved the Pope's "It's bigger on the inside!" moment - in Italian!

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2965 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Shipmate
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
24, 837, 82, 54, 9

--------------------
The opinions expressed above are transitory emotional responses and do not necessarily reflect the considered views of the author.

Posts: 506 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simon - I just evinced that trait the Doctor loves about our species.... I started looking for a pattern. And then I remembered the reference in the episode. Well done.
Posts: 354 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016