homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Pull To Open: Doctor Who 2017 (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pull To Open: Doctor Who 2017
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked last night's episode, as I had the week before. However, I am puzzled as to where Pt 1 fits in. Why did the monks bother to run the simulation, if their tactics were the same on every planet they invaded? And what benefit did the Doctor derive from receiving a warning from his simulacrum?

Apart from that, I have to admit I was wrong about Nardole. Every week he impresses me more. He's growing on me - maybe like a wart?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8874 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Why did the monks bother to run the simulation, if their tactics were the same on every planet they invaded?

I think they needed to know when to intervene, and it would have helped them with understanding how they needed to adjust history just enough to convince people.

I presume keeping the history alternation process in place is far more expensive than the simulation, so it makes sense.

--------------------
Blog
My books for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18313 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yes, I think both episodes were poorly thought through. Too much sizzle, not enough steak. I will not hear Capaldi criticized though. I think the acting is top-notch.

--------------------
The opinions expressed above are transitory emotional responses and do not necessarily reflect the considered views of the author.

Posts: 692 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And, once again, an alien enemy is defeated by the power of love. You'd think that, if the Monks had been modeling Earth events, they would have noticed the number of alien menaces who fall victim to Love.

These Monks, who can snatch planes out of thin air and grab nuclear subs out of the water and hurtle them through the air, apparently have close to zero decent security measures around the crucial focal point of their power. That's a bit rubbish.

So, yes, the episodes were not thought out very well, but the actors did a decent job with the material they were given.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2553 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
ACK
Apprentice
# 16756

- Posted      Profile for ACK   Email ACK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With 'The Lie of the Land' I got a childish amusement on realising Missy's solution was 'Kill Bill'.
Her claim she could walk out of the vault yet stayed there through choice did ring true. Which does back her assertion she is trying to be good. Though she could be playing a long game.

The Vault is bigger on the inside, was it Time Lord tech? The executioners were not Time Lords. Besides, it was supposed to be her dead body stored in there - why bother? Unless either Missy or the Doctor retrofitted dimensionally transcendetal functionality to it.

The part at the beginning of the episode did not work for me, in that the Dr's explanation and glee when he explained seemed off.

Why were lots of people wearing similar clothes, all that uniform dark blue? Did I miss the explanation for this uniformity of dress?

Getting spoilery, if you have not seen it. At the end. First time I watched it, it seemed she replaced the images of the Monks with images of herself and this was a bad thing and then she replaced them with images of her mother and it was a good thing and fixed the problem. Watching it again I realised I blinked and missed the part where images of Bill got replaced with images of the Monks, before she managed to replace them with images of her mother and all the memories of her she had made up.
Sort of like 'The Rings of Akhaten' the singing episode with Clara, where the Doctor failed to defeat the monster with his memories, so Clara defeated it with the infinity of things that might have been if her mother had not died so young.
It also reminded me of the Martha story 'The Last of the Time Lords', of the year that never was, with the Doctor imprisoned by the Master, while she walked around the world, and then they turned back time a year, and only the people in the eye of the storm, remembered the year.
Watching it again, I also caught that the Monks don't even know that Bill is the crucial focal point of their power - that they believe their conquests work through efficiency and when they lose control they chalk it up to experience. I am not sure how that works.

The monks conquest would eventually end, if Bill has no children. i.e. it is a limited problem. Bill knows that. Yet no one suggested just waiting it out and Bill avoiding having children.

What do the Monks gain by taking worlds? They want to rule humanity, but what do they get out of it? Most conquests get resources of some sort (slaves, lands, minerals, energy etc). But they seem to want to rule for the sake of ruling. They enslave humanity, but they don't seem to be using humanity for anything. Maybe it is a huge ego trip for them or maybe they are alturistic and think humanity is better under their control, or maybe they are bored and this is their idea of entertainment - but why they bother is never explained. Darleks are ultimately driven by racism and want to destroy everything not darlek, the cybermen want to survive and do so by making more of themselves, the motivation of the Silence was finally explained in that Christmas episode 'The Time of the Doctor'.
Ironically, this episode did give an insight into what drives the Master - To burn a city to the ground to watch the pretty patterns in the smoke.

--------------------
'It's the only thing that worries me about going to Heaven. Would I ever get used to the height.' Norman Clegg

Posts: 40 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you're spot on about this episode. These types of grand-scale stories don't just fail to stand up to over-analysis, they fail to stand up to any sort of thinking.

I'm wondering, and not for the first time, whether the series needs to be put on ice for another 20 years.

And then there is Blink.

--------------------
The opinions expressed above are transitory emotional responses and do not necessarily reflect the considered views of the author.

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think another hiatus is needed, but bringing in a fresh vision in the producer spot is a good thing. All in all, I love Moffet's work, but he's done enough. Time for a new take on the series.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ACK:
Watching it again, I also caught that the Monks don't even know that Bill is the crucial focal point of their power - that they believe their conquests work through efficiency and when they lose control they chalk it up to experience. I am not sure how that works.

Actually, I think this is a crucial insight - the monks seem to be very powerful (they can create the copies, they can control the minds of everyone), while at the same time very stupid. That doesn't make sense.

(I don't mean you can't be powerful and stupid - cough Donald cough - I mean I don't see how the race has become so powerful and developed the technology to utilise something they don't understand. It is the technological power that needs a far better understanding of why and how it works to have been developed.)

--------------------
Blog

Posts: 18313 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ACK
Apprentice
# 16756

- Posted      Profile for ACK   Email ACK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
And then there is Blink.

Moffatt can write cracking standalone stories.
And I am enjoying this series, largely because of the characters and the acting, and that a poor Dr Who story still beats most other things on the TV, especially since Person of Interest and Elementary have finished. But I am finding more holes than 'wow' moments with the series so far.

--------------------
'It's the only thing that worries me about going to Heaven. Would I ever get used to the height.' Norman Clegg

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must say, after the last series, I'm not trying to analyse things too much -- but just go along for the ride. And I have been enjoying it.

Seeing Missy was great, as always [though I worry about the future of the pony she wants!].

And as simontoad wrote earlier, watching the follow-on chat show here, Whovians, is always fun - and Pearl Mackie was interviewed this week: she seems as fun in real life as in the show.

Bring on next week!

Posts: 7212 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I loved tonight's episode! Victorian soldiers on Mars - what a great idea. And I loved the tip of the hat to classic Who near the end.

It's a shame - the only series of Smith I liked was his final one, and Capaldi has suffered the same fate. It's as though Moff takes so long to adjust to a new actor that they get fed up and leave just as he's got his act together.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I must admit that I liked Capaldi from the start, and just continued to not like the girl inside the dalek. I liked that girl for quite a while, but I thought she hung around for too long. I very much enjoyed me. I thought the episode where Capaldi was stuck in the Time Lord Interrogation Trap was one of the best episodes ever.

This one was OK. I have a cold, so that possibly affected my enjoyment.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loved it! Good romp: it doesn't always do to analyse too much.

M.

Posts: 2213 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ACK
Apprentice
# 16756

Alpha Centauri YES.
The picture of Queen Victoria was a picture of the actress who played her in Tooth and Claw.
The Doctor's comment about his problem finding it so easy to think like a warrior.
Victoria soldiers on Mars, with steam punk space suits.
Bill's hairstyle.
A story lacking bits where I'm thinking 'That doesn't make sense'.
That hook with Missy at the end to ...

Basically lots of stuff about it I liked.
One of the best stories of the series.

But the one-hander with he was stuck in the Time Lord Interrogation Trap is possibly Capaldi's best story ever.

Hopefully the pony Missy got was 25 quid.

Alpha Centauri. [Yipee]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the way the story fitted Victorian or similar story types. I thought Haggard at first, but am now extending to Henty - "With the Doctor on Mars" for a title? Or the stories printed in the Boys Brigade Stedfast magazine in my youth. (My Dad was the local distributor, so I got to preview them!) Or in the "Eagle" - which I got to read back numbers of when I was in bed with tonsillitis.
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So Eaters of Light. The first story in the new series to be written by a writer for the old series. What did people think?
On one level it was a fairly standard new series outing. On the other hand, it was atmospheric. It managed to sell the soldiers eternally holding back the dark theme. And they got in a few left-wingy jabs at the business of Empire.
They'd clearly thrown the budget at the monster design and it paid off.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10146 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
So Eaters of Light. The first story in the new series to be written by a writer for the old series. What did people think?
On one level it was a fairly standard new series outing. On the other hand, it was atmospheric. It managed to sell the soldiers eternally holding back the dark theme. And they got in a few left-wingy jabs at the business of Empire.

Back of a fag packet calculation tells me that even with the time passage difference the gatekeepers are going to die of hunger adnd thirst in a few thousand years. Not long enough.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17312 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dafyd - and a nice jab at sexual identity - I forget the name of the soldier who's making a move on Bill, and he makes offhanded reference to have sex with men and women -"I'm normal." Bit of a laugh.
Posts: 453 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed this week's story and liked the theme of finding a creative solution to a conflict. There were some great lines - 'everyone just sounding like children' when you can understand them (thanks to the TARDIS) and 'death by Scotland' (with apologies to Scottish shipmates!). I enjoyed Nardole 'blending in', too.

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc
The TWC Writers' Study

Posts: 847 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Romans, Picts, Nardol, Bill, The Doctor, massive danger averted by duty. Classic.

Oh! There's Missy! She's doing scheduled maintenance on the TARDIS. Oh! Don't tell me she's flirting with the Doctor again. Oh! She's crying at the music. Poor girl. She must be good now.

Not on your nelly!

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I thought it made excellent use of folk and historical themes. The crow on the stone. The soldiers trapped in the fairy hill where time runs differently, with the old music heard through the ages. The unidentifiable beasts on Pictish stones. (Uncredited unknown designer of monsters.)The structure of the stone tombs - the ones I've seen were on Orkney. The solar alignment of the tomb entrance. The uncredited extra writer - Tacitus.

Interesting that two weeks running used the theme of soldiers who ran from the slaughter of whole detachments of men who then made good. (The slaughtered 9th looked remarkably like the mocked up Isaldwana in a film I saw.)

[ 18. June 2017, 12:41: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I thought it made excellent use of folk and historical themes.

Yes. If you're going to do a Doctor Who episode that features the Ninth Legion then having them ending up fighting off the dark is the way to do it. Rona Munro has been reading Rosemary Sutcliffe, and not just Eagle of the Ninth.
It helps I think that the Doctor never puts a name on the beast.
You can't really do better than Tacitus, though since none of the Romans mentioned the Pax Romana it didn't get its full weight.

quote:
Interesting that two weeks running used the theme of soldiers who ran from the slaughter of whole detachments of men who then made good.
Yes. I think I preferred this outing.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And there was another very brief shot of John Simm at the end of next week's trailer.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1716 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Another highly enjoyable episode. Wouldn't do to overthink it, but it all worked out well. Hadn't realised the writer had done classic Who as well - what has she done before?

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Under the circumstances of having had the Hispana wiped out, mentioning the Pax Romana might not have been the first thing on their minds.
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Hadn't realised the writer had done classic Who as well - what has she done before?

Survival. (The McCoy story with the cheetah people.)

The McCoy era is I believe still controversial within classic era fandom: there are those who think that it was as good as classic Doctor Who ever got and then there are those who are wrong.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Thank you for that Dafyd - it's a story I really enjoyed. Apologies for being too lazy to look up the info myself, but I was already late for a meeting when I read your post.

--------------------

ACK
Apprentice
# 16756

I think Missy is trying to be good. But that the Master turning up is going to de-rail that.

Vestal Virgin - second class. Love to read/watch/listen to the story behind that. Was it ever a story? If not, then I want someone to write it.

It must be over 30 years since I read any Rosemary Sutcliff, but I need to remedy that and see if I have a copy of 'The Eagle of the Ninth' around. She was the writer who opened my eyes to historical novels. And Roger Lancelyn Green to various mythologies.

'Eaters of Light' is definately a 'wow' episode for me. The logic of how the actions of the 9th and the Gatekeeper saved the Universe was lost on me, but it felt like something those characters would do.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:

The McCoy era is I believe still controversial within classic era fandom: there are those who think that it was as good as classic Doctor Who ever got and then there are those who are wrong. [/QB]

Love it. True fandom is whole-of-being fandom [Smile]

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

That was an excellent episode! The closing scene was one of the scariest I've ever known in Who.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
World Enough and Time - practically perfect in every way. And genuinely chilling in places, too. I really don't know how they get away with some of this stuff at 7pm, but I'm glad they do. I also want to give a special shout-out to designer Michael Pickwoad, who has been with the show for several years, but who does these bleak horror settings so well. The hospital interiors and the look of the city outside were beautifully realised. Now if only Moffat doesn't bollocks it up next week.... [Biased]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9725 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
World Enough and Time - practically perfect in every way.

As a first episode of a two-parter it is rather good.
I notice a lot of recurring Moffat themes going on, though they fit together differently when he's turned the kaleidoscope.
Does it look like we're going to have Mondas Cybermen vs new-series Cybermen next time, as well as Gomez vs Simm?

--------------------

ACK
Apprentice
# 16756

Agreed. 'World Enough and Time' was a cracking episode.

I am worried about Bill though. Since she is leaving at the end of the series, there is no certainty will happen to her.
Considering the companions Moffat created: Jack, River, Amy, Rory and Clara, all of them sort of died. All but Jack on Moffat's watch.

I think the two types of Cybermen will battle each other, but I suspect Master and Missy will work together rather than against each other.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Considering the companions Moffat created: Jack, River, Amy, Rory and Clara, all of them sort of died. All but Jack on Moffat's watch.

I think Moffatt has trouble with coming up with reasons for why a companion would voluntarily stop traveling with the Doctor. Donna will burn up if she remembers him; Amy & Rory are time-locked; Clara is whatever Clara is. They don't travel with him any more because they can't. Bill is shaping up the same way.

(Come to think of it, Rose essentially fits the same pattern--not dead but unable to keep traveling with him. Is Martha the only NuWho companion to just leave?)

But, by the same token, the Moff has not yet done a full Katarina/Adric and just killed the companion with no escape clause. Maybe he will do that with Bill.

Or not. That's why I am eager to see the next episode! I have no decent guess how all of this will work out.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now if only Moffat doesn't bollocks it up next week.... [Biased]

From your mouth to God's ears.

That was wonderful. A genuine sense of building tension, helped by a plot in more than usual logical steps.

My only whinge is that the trailer from the previous week basically pre-revealed the reveal. Grr.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1779 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

AKC:
quote:

I'd say all sort of alive. River exists in the Library, Amy and Rory went back in time, and Clara was last seen gallivanting around the universe. Mind you, with a hole that big inside her I'm not quite sure how Bill lasted long enough to be cyberised. (And why did the blue chap shoot her anyway? If the medics are the descendants of the original crew, on a vastly different time scale - who must have set out years earlier from their points of view - why weren't they picking up everyone?)

And a fervent AMEN to the prayer that Moff doesn't bollocks it all up. Please God, let this time be different.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(And why did the blue chap shoot her anyway? If the medics are the descendants of the original crew, on a vastly different time scale - who must have set out years earlier from their points of view - why weren't they picking up everyone?)

The proto-Cyber medics were only interested in humans, and Bill was the only human on the ship's bridge. Kill her, and the medics would never bother coming to the bridge. We have to believe that since Mondas is somehow Earth's twin, parallel evolution has made its inhabitants essentially identical to humans.

By the way, did anyone else spot John Simm before he revealed himself? I've been calling myself all sorts of idiot for not realising until the very last moment.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9725 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
By the way, did anyone else spot John Simm before he revealed himself? I've been calling myself all sorts of idiot for not realising until the very last moment.

I spotted at the start of the last moment (I.E when he started speaking to Missy). By the time he takes his mask off it was starting to get too much (which probably means I was about 20 seconds before the intended time). [I suspect that's more or less the same time as you mean by last moment, though]

Some observations, my preferred explaination that the upper expeditions haven't returned because they are still going on is spoiled by Bill having been picked up and down in that time.
As the engines have been reversing, the time dilation is now less than it was when they went down (it could even have taken generations to fix).

Another personal timey whimey thing that the current master is not far from the first missy (or variations of it).

The master is presumably in some control in the hospital, so could have put his mask on after Bill arrived (hence the otherwise unnecessary PM comment).
Though also seen the observation that if he had been playing the long game, then looking the same age in such a society would be risky

Think the 'look at the screen' was a deliberate (clean) double entrende. But that variants of Dr Who? yes aren't new, either.

Again, a political comment that cuts closer to the bone since filming. BBC's Comic's and Dr who definitely tend to something vaguely more left than other parts of the BBC (which possibly also contributes to everyone calling it biased)

[ 25. June 2017, 21:48: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That's why I'm not a fan of spoiler-y trailers. I spotted pretty early on, but only because of the warning. It was a pretty good 'disguise'.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1779 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

"I'm Doctor Who and these are my disposables, Exposition and Comedy Relief..."

If the Doctor chooses to regenerate into Michelle Gomez, I'd be okay with that.

--------------------

ACK
Apprentice
# 16756

quote:

I got to just after he said it took him a while to recognise her. But whether I would have got it before he removed his mask without knowing he was in the episode... Maybe on the self-preservation comment.

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Is Martha the only NuWho companion to just leave?

Mickey Smith.

I think in old Who, when the Dr could not control the Tardis, it was a choice between travelling with him or having a life away from him. Sooner or later companions found something more important than staying with him, such as Turlough and Nyssa, they had enough, like Tegan or he dumped them like 'Sarah Jane' and could not get back to where he left them (or did not know where it was).
Now companions can go off and have adventures and afterwards be returned moments after they left. Why stop, when they can get on with their own things in-between adventures?

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Why would the Master disguise himself and hide from Missy, if she is his future self? Wouldn't she know about his disguise because she remembered it? (I think I had a similar query about bits of classic Who, but can't remember where right now.)

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
I think in old Who, when the Dr could not control the Tardis, it was a choice between travelling with him or having a life away from him. Sooner or later companions found something more important than staying with him, such as Turlough and Nyssa, they had enough, like Tegan or he dumped them like 'Sarah Jane' and could not get back to where he left them (or did not know where it was).
Now companions can go off and have adventures and afterwards be returned moments after they left. Why stop, when they can get on with their own things in-between adventures?

Thank you for reminding me of one of the brilliant bits of classic Who--the inability to control the TARDIS. It prevented using the TARDIS as an easy out because the Doctor couldn't leave until everybody was back together...because if eh left, there was no guaranty that he'd ever get back again.

Still, from an in-Universe perspective, it makes sense that the longer he has the TARDIS the better he gets at steering it, so I understand why nuWho makes him really good at steering it. But I kind of miss the old days of not being able to use the TARDIS to get them out of a jam.
quote:
Why would the Master disguise himself and hide from Missy, if she is his future self? Wouldn't she know about his disguise because she remembered it? (I think I had a similar query about bits of classic Who, but can't remember where right now.)

I don't think he disguised himself to hide from Missy. I think it was more so that Bill would not recognize him as her former PM. As for Missy not remembering, well, that comes up with all the Multi-Doctor stories, and I think the general hand-wave explanation is that they cross time lines and the younger versions do not retain the memories of the occasion. That is why the War Doctor and Tenth Doctor did not remember the events of "The Day of the Doctor," although Eleventh does retain his memory of it. So, following that, Missy did not remember it because once they part, her younger form (the Master) will forget it.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:

Time-Flight is notorious for the Master being in disguise when there's nobody watching except the audience.
I suppose the main reason the Mr Saxon Master appears to Missy in disguise is that to quote the Rani 'he is so devious if he tried to walk in a straight line he'd fall over'. The plot of about half Pertwee's stories was: the Master teams up with some alien invader; the plan falls apart when either the aliens double-crossed the Master or the Master double-crossed the aliens. I shall be disappointed if next week's plot isn't the Master teams up with the Master and then the plan falls apart when the Master double-crosses himself.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
"I'm Doctor Who and these are my disposables, Exposition and Comedy Relief..."

If the Doctor chooses to regenerate into Michelle Gomez, I'd be okay with that.

Loved that bit. I'm pretty sure when Nardol complained she said they were genders.
[Yipee]

I don't have any idea what will happen next week, and I'm loving it. I'll be a bit sad to lose Bill, but its better than overstaying your welcome (Clara).

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No-one else has mentioned it, and maybe that is because it was so obvious, but I couldn't get the book ' One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' out of my head..

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3032 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
I don't have any idea what will happen next week, and I'm loving it. I'll be a bit sad to lose Bill, but its better than overstaying your welcome (Clara).

None of the companions have outstayed their welcome in nuWho, unlike Doctors, David Tennant, great at first but happy to see go. Why couldn't we have more Eccleston?

Or could the Eccleston approach be the right one? leave before they get tires of you. This looks like what Capaldi is doing, but it will be sad to see no more of Pearl Mackie.

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad

ن
blog

Posts: 8583 | From: Proxima b | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ACK
Apprentice
# 16756

I talked my Beloved into watching World Enough and Time last night (only usually watches if happens to be around when I watch it).
When Simms appeared he said: Why's he pretending to be Zathrus? (Makes sense if you know Babylon 5).
Then shortly after - the scene with the good and bad tea: That's John Simms.
How he did it I do not know - even knowing he was Simms he still was not recognisable to me.
Episode even better second time around.

I think they are all going too soon for my taste. Capaldi is definately my favourite Dr of NuWHo. Another season with Capaldi, Bill, Nardole and Missy would be a joy. Ah well.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I think that episode counts as a wow!

Very good.

--------------------
Blog

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I think that episode counts as a wow!

Very good.

Lots to like.
Lots of missed fantastic alternative bits I'd have liked to have seen, but they have to chose one story.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016