homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » When prayers of self-control are required. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: When prayers of self-control are required.
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Surely books ARE a pleasure of the flesh!

Yes, but the way this thread is going you'd think it was the only one! Don't you guys ever struggle over not having that fifth pint or eating too many doughnuts or something?

I'm just surprised that books are the main source of temptation for you. You are lucky, lucky people.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17191 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many of the fleshly pleasures you can have enough of. After a certain point Aviation cocktails are no longer fun to drink, and you fall down. Enough oysters is excellent, too many unsettles the digestion. And a kindly Deity has ordained a 'refractory period' to ensure that we don't overindulge in Those Pleasures. So you don't (mostly) need a great deal of self-restraint. Your tummy will restrain you, or you'll pay the price in the bathroom tomorrow morning.

The charms of collecting books (or baskets, or motor cars, or Manolo Blahniks) are usually constrained by physical space. I think it is fair to say that I cannot wedge any more bookcases into my house, and that I can never move unless some of the books go. One could sacrifice things like being able to walk into certain rooms, for instance, but it is not yourself restraining you, when you can't shut doors because the books are pushing on the other side.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 4608 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Art supplies! I do need them, because I am trying to be a semi-professional acrylic painter but my problem comes when I'm wandering through the art supply store and something cool catches my eye. I'm always thinking, "Well, I could somehow use these stencils to make cool backgrounds before I paint on top of them...or, how about these new acrylic paint markers? Yeah, they're $7.00 a piece but I really, really need this one metallic shimmery one and if I get that one I'll probably need these other shimmery metallic markers, too". Yes, because if I only buy one of those shimmery metallic paint pens it will be lonely without another one...

Bookstores...don't even get me started about bookstores. I have several angels who are working on retainer to keep me from buying twenty books a month! I hope those angels are getting paid well. [Big Grin]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3440 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I realize that I must never live within walking distance of Powell's in Oregon. Otherwise I will go in and never leave.

Better not venture up to Seattle, either. Seattle is crammed with great bookstores. Or, Decatur, GA. Decatur has a BIG Book Fair every Spring (or is it Fall?) which is a week long. There are authors signing books, readings, books for sale new and used, and all sorts of fun for the literary set. Not too many used bookstores anymore, sadly, but I can recommend "Eagle Eye Bookstore". Excellent selection of new and used and they have many authors come and do readings/signings.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3440 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter lives in Atlanta. She had a baby last year. The infant was born, luckily, when the book fair was not running. But at some point grandmother duties and that book fair will coincide, and it'll be ugly.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is why I can never holiday in Hay-on-Wye...

Books are a gimme (sorry KLB), but also second-hand DVDs. There are lots of films never played on TV and I'm partial to a good commentary/making off documentary and they can be bought by the fistful from charity shops and market stalls.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible, then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1720 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl:
quote:
Don't you guys ever struggle over not having that fifth pint or eating too many doughnuts or something?
Beer and doughnuts don't tempt me in the slightest - but I do struggle with a weakness for Yorkshire mix. (see here if you don't know what it is)

I used to be tempted by chocolate as well, but I've gone off it recently.

I don't even try to control myself in second-hand bookshops any more.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Yes, after years of chocolate obsession I seem to have finally outgrown it. Perhaps that's a sign of hope -- we can mature beyond our obsessions?

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, but I don't wanna mature beyond my obsession with books!
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I have found I can -curate- my book collection. There are books that are great but that I do not need to own -- all books available on Project Gutenberg, for example. There are books that were great but that I know I will never re-read. The Worm Ourobouros would be an example. There are books that I have kept, meaning to read them, and I should probably accept that I never will. What is this The Mongoliad here on my shelf? I know I didn't buy it; probably the author gave it to me. But I don't think I'm going to read it...

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've cracked the book thing now, instead of buying I write down the title and author and promise myself only to buy them if I get a book token as a present. Otherwise, they only get bought if and when I've read all the other books sitting on my bookshelf.

I'm also trying to be really good about not buying any more model buses, unless they have a Creamtealand connection.

So it's only the chocolate that causes me trouble now...

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34499 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tobias
Shipmate
# 18613

- Posted      Profile for Tobias     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Put me down as another bibliophile: I hope that I have enough self-control not to be a bibliomaniac.

I am steadily working to reduce my collection of books to what will actually fit on my bookcases. In this project I follow rules devised to avoid the mortifying extremes of self-denial.

Like Chorister, I keep a list of books I would like to read. But the hoard of books that I possess already but have not yet read is large, so I allow myself to buy one new book for every four books from the hoard that I give away. When I have given away four books, I can either:
(a) order a book from the List on-line;
(b) go into a book-shop and buy a book from the List (taking care not to be distracted); or
(c) add 1 to the number of books I permit myself to buy at the next charity book-sale.

Most of my books I buy from the large second-hand book-sales that around here are held a few times a year by different charities. I agree entirely with Nicolemr:
quote:
there's something about a used book that twigs that "get it now or you'll never see it again" reflex.
This fact means that I do need great self-control at the book sales. I will here confess that I failed atrociously at the last one I went to. I had been exceptionally restrained, and had picked up only a few DVDs and CDs, no books at all...

And then I saw them. All the Lymond Chronicles. And all the House of Niccolo too. Matching sets, in pristine condition, and three dollars a book. Well, I remembered how lavishly Brenda Clough has praised them - I had indeed already put them on the List - and so into the box they all went, my rules and restrictions all forgotten.

(I haven't started reading them yet - if I remember correctly, Brenda said that they were 'as addictive as cocaine', so I'm almost scared to start.)

--------------------
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

Posts: 243 | From: Terra Australis Incognita | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

(Trying to recall previous pharmacological analogies)

The Bartimaeus books, by Jonathan Stroud, are like crystal meth between book covers. Ideal for teen readers. The first one is free, little boy.

The Vorkosigan novels by Lois Bujold, definitely crack cocaine. Pace yourself devouring them or you'll wind up twitching and jonesing on the floor.

The Lymond books (oh wow, complete matching HCs! That's stupendous!) are more like grass. An entry level drug, which opens the gate, just a little.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016