homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Asparagus Blessing

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Asparagus Blessing
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes the Church can get involved with some very strange customs. This caused quite a stir in Worcestershire, a service with some very unusual costumes indeed.

Does your area have particular customs which would look barmy to the outside world? Does the church get involved? Or stay well clear!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34499 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aha, I now see a similar thread in Ecclesiantics, feel free to close this one if it's a more suitable discussion there....

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we may have Heavenly potential here! Let's just see who might participate and what interesting things we can learn!

jedijudy
Heaven Host

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17498 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is not where I live. However, the Blessing of the Jeeps seems to be a popular annual event in Michigan. I had not known of God's particular interest in off-the-road vehicles, but there you are. He is larger than I am.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 4608 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we saw that picture in the Telegraph, D's reaction was "I wonder if he realises that the bloke behind him is carrying a bunch of asparagus?"

[Big Grin]

In his youth, D. was the organist of a church opposite a diesel-engine factory, and they used to have one of the engines in the church for Harvest Festival as it was, sort of, the local harvest.

--------------------
"It's not so much the toes", said Piglet, "as the ears". A. A. Milne
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 18701 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend's church on the south coast blesses boats; the same place also walks the boundary of the parish for Rogation - it takes all day - and they also bless ploughs and other agricultural machinery on Plough Sunday.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4437 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
When we saw that picture in the Telegraph, D's reaction was "I wonder if he realises that the bloke behind him is carrying a bunch of asparagus?"

[Big Grin]

In his youth, D. was the organist of a church opposite a diesel-engine factory, and they used to have one of the engines in the church for Harvest Festival as it was, sort of, the local harvest.

My dad tells of a harvest festival which celebrated local industry, including (especially) Rolls Royce. Someone arranges for one of their jet engines to be the centrepiece.

He never mentioned that it was worth a few million.

--------------------
Blog
My books for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18150 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

To my knowledge, there are only two Goose Fairs in the country, one in Tavistock and one in Nottingham. There is no Blessing of the Geese ceremony in Tavistock, although perhaps there should be - anyone know if there is one in Nottingham?

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The New Yorker once picked up an ancient custom that celebrates their civilization.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 802 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some years ago, Anglicans Online ran this article on little known Shrove Tuesday practices in TEC. Some are very interesting and the article is well worth reading.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6116 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a blessing of the backpacks on the Sunday before school starts for the year. Students bring their backpack or another symbol of their studies and they come up to the front of church for a blessing and we give them a bag tag with a prayer on it.
Posts: 2846 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As do we.

There's an Anglican parish somewhere in the Riverina, where the local Aust Rules teams show up and the football jerseys are blessed. Probably the only time that year that most are in church, but they do show up, and the rector says a prayer or 2 before the big match on Saturdays.

[ 30. April 2017, 07:56: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6116 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Both Hindus and Christians [but not Muslims] down here tend to take a new vehicle to temple or church to be blessed but it is an individual rather than a group effort.

At [Hindu] temple festivals both Kavadi dancers and the accompanying Chenda Melam drummers get blessed before they begin.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 47809 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's always the story of the vicar washing his new car and being asked a silly question (What are you doing?) by his neighbour, the Rabbi.
"I'm baptising my new car!" jokes the vicar.
Next thing he sees, the rabbi's taking a saw to the last inch of his new car's exhaust pipe.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3266 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chichester has a Sloe Fair dating back to around 1110: originally a fair to mark St Faith's day, it is named after a sloe tree which stood in the middle of the ground where the fair is held. The people of Chichester take the fair very seriously - a plan to have a mulit-storey car-park on the site was turned down out of hand because it would need the fair to be either moved or stopped.

A mate who lives near Chichester says that all the local schools take the Sloe Fair into account when fixing holidays, training days, etc.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4437 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blessing of the Truffle hunters happened a while back in these parts. There is a truffle farm on the outskirts of this fair city. Can't remember whether this involved pigs and dogs as well as humans, but it was An Event remarked upon in our local newscasts.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 6967 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016