homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Allotmenteering: veg growers solidarity thread

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Allotmenteering: veg growers solidarity thread
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having decided to fully immerse myself in the local culture here in the Welsh valleys, I signed the waiting list at the local allotment - imagining it would be filed in the bin like my last attempt to get one. After only 6 months of waiting, I heard back from the allotment committee and was rewarded with a half plot. Oh the joy. A little bit of darkened soil, a shed, a greenhouse and a whole load of junk.

OK, I know you don't really care. So cutting to good stuff: I've planted some potatoes and onions (I wasn't going to bother, but they were donated by a neighbour so it was rude not to) and have been germinating beans and pumpkins in the greenhouse. It has been really warm so they've shot up and I've been transplanting them out.

In all this, I've been expecting the slugs to pop up and munch through all my seedlings, but as yet no sign of the little blighters. I'm thinking it might be due to a very large number of birds at the allotment, who for some reason think it is funny to uproot my onion sets.

I have also a little patch of fruit bushes and have been trying to restablish some strawberries with some runaway plants I've recaptured from the path. So far these haven't taken and are looking a bit sad for themselves in the fruit patch.

I'm trying to germinate tomatoes and peppers too, but so far no sign of any. Not sure why.

Anyhoo, how is your veg patch?

--------------------
my new book: Biblical But Bollocks. Available in all good bookshops.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tomatoes and peppers need warmth to do well.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 4608 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tomatoes looking well, 4 different kinds, something ate the squash, and part of the parsley, peas are just starting to blossom, 6 leeks and one onion and I have one artichoke up for its second year. I do square foot gardening, meaning I divide plot into square foot spaces. Much easier to tend to in my older age. I just planted a foot of sunflower seeds. I had good luck with a pot of potatoes last year. Finally I let a head of lettuce to to seed last year so now I have lettuce all over here and there.

--------------------
Notice to police, Should my body ever be found on a jogging trail, know that I was murdered elsewhere and my body dumped there."

Posts: 2533 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our patch is booming away, but we tend to buy young plants from nurseries rather than sow seeds. It's kind of instant gardening. So far, all looking well, except of course, it's been very dry. I got some new Jerusalem artichokes, and they are growing by the day, Jack and the beanstalk.

--------------------
hell isn't punishment, it's training.

Posts: 9111 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My patch consists of 4 large square boxes, plus a few pots. This year I have two boxes with peas in - something new for me - one box with tomatoes and rocket, and one with carrots and spring onions.

Two pots have strawberries in; the strawberry plants in the other two pots died, and when I tipped them out I found the pots were full of woodlice. Half a dozen courgette plants came up unexpectedly in my boxes, so I have stuck them in the vacant pots and will see how they do.

Every year when I'm planting I think it would be nice to have more space - my ambition is to have a glut of something - but realistically, this is probably about the right amount of stuff.

Posts: 380 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This upcoming weekend is "May Long" which means May long weekend of which Monday is Victoria Day and a holiday. This is the traditional start of summer, well sort of. The leaves have just come out on the trees last week. Everything was bare 5 days ago, now we see green!

We dug last evening, spread compost, and laid out the rows. I turned the outside water on (we have to drain and blow-out the outdoor waterlines for winter). The ground is still quite cool, and our overnight temps at +3°C last night. Our beds are raised to help with warming. We are going to have beans (green and wax), carrots, beets, kale, swiss chard, and potatoes. The tomatoes here have to be started inside and transplanted. These will come later because it is just too cool yet.

We have both a garden in back of the house, and what you call an allotment, which is called a "community garden plot". Community gardens give a plot and then also as a collective typically grow potatoes in a shared area. The community garden gets going 03 June. We typically have about 100 days to grow things before frost.

There's something really life-giving about planning, preparing, planting, tending and harvesting. On an AS thread, I discussed an funeral last week. Last evening felt healing in the back garden from that.

Posts: 10279 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have just put tomatoes out, as we had frosts until last week. Grow them on the window-sill, where they become giants, then transplant. Trying black, green striped, as well as normal red.

--------------------
hell isn't punishment, it's training.

Posts: 9111 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a solitary silver beet in my raised garden.

Well, it is autumn here and we have had our first frost.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9649 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No allotment, but most of our back garden is given over to veg.
Being so close to the South Coast has its disadvantages (mostly wind and sand), but the temperature is just that degree or so higher than further inland, and we have had very little frost - so my outdoor tomatoes (bought in at two-leaf stage) are doing very well, two trusses of flower buds already, when I would previously have not put anything out until the very end of May.
I find I have to net things until they are established, otherwise the starlings or gulls pull them out. The leeks I planted at the weekend are currently under nets. Some things have to stay netted, I took the netting off the swiss chard (aka silver beet) for a couple of days last year, and the sparrows shredded them, so now I keep it permanently under net.
I need to clear last year's chard as it is beginning to bolt, and because I have little plants desperate to be in the ground, but they still have massive, succulent leaves, so we have been eating more chard recently than is good for our digestive systems
We had a very sunny day today, and I was delighted to see a bee busy working among my broad beans [Smile]
Very heavy rain is forecast for tomorrow evening, so everything that is outside 'hardening off' prior to planting might be flattened by Thursday morning if I can't protect them somehow

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3017 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As we already have a gardening thread which traditionally has included discussion of vegetable-growing as well as flower-gardens and the like, I am going to transplant this entire discussion to the gardening thread and close this one. I hope being re-potted doesn't cause this discussion to wither on the vine ... see you there.

Trudy, Scrumptious Heavenly Host

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7264 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016