homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » potätö_potahtö (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: potätö_potahtö
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
But in Australia they're all floppies. That was kind of the point. We kept calling all the disks "floppies", even the smaller ones that aren't literally floppy.

Floppy disks contrast with hard disks. Then there's microsoft.

Re alcohol, in Saskatchewan, like Ontario, it's mostly a monopoly. LBS, liquor board store, twisted to "little book store", and thus people used to go to buy a book. Which reminds me further of the "washroom", where somehow people would say they're "seeing a man about a dog" if they wished to excuse themselves to use it.

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer
(formerly was just "no prophet") \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 10501 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Whereas I would call a shop that sold alcohol an off-licence or, if it was more upmarket, a wine merchant. "Going to the offy" usually means going to buy alcohol for the evening.

It's an offy if it sells only (or predominantly) alcohol. Random corner shops will often have an off-licence (a licence to sell alcohol for consumption off the premises), but wouldn't be described as and off-licence unless most of their shelf space was alcohol.
Posts: 4477 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Apparently, the term "floppy" was reserved for the really old 5.25 inch computer disks.

What about an 8" floppy?
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, thank you all for missing the point so spectacularly. We could have avoided all this if only more South Africans had pulled the things apart.

Don't snip at us if Australians are to stupid to know why a floppy disk is called a floppy disk.

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 62437 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But in Australia they're all floppies. That was kind of the point. We kept calling all the disks "floppies", even the smaller ones that aren't literally floppy.

Actually, the smaller ones were called floppy because the disks themselves still were, regardless of the external case. Evidently SA began the devolution of computer terminology earlier than everywhere else.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16056 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Which reminds me further of the "washroom", where somehow people would say they're "seeing a man about a dog" if they wished to excuse themselves to use it.

I've used the expression "pay my flood insurance."

Ladies say they have to "powder their nose," as the ladies' room is often called the powder room.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10055 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
Then shops were introduced to sell booze which were not licensed - called an Off-License.

Not sure this is right. I thought the 'off' in 'off-license' referred to the fact that these shops were indeed licensed to sell alcohol, but only for consumption OFF the premises (unlike a pub bar or restaurant that was licensed to sell alcohol for consumption ON the premises)

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 254 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Edith:
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
Then shops were introduced to sell booze which were not licensed - called an Off-License.

Not sure this is right. I thought the 'off' in 'off-license' referred to the fact that these shops were indeed licensed to sell alcohol, but only for consumption OFF the premises (unlike a pub bar or restaurant that was licensed to sell alcohol for consumption ON the premises)

That's correct. In Nottingham we called them Beer-offs. The children were sent down the street to get a gill or half pint in a jug and we had to carry it home very carefully.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 254 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had an Australian temp in a UK office reduce the office to horrified silence asking for someone to pass the Durex. She meant sellotape or clear adhesive tape; Durex to us meant condoms.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13287 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Durex for sticky tape - now that takes me back, it must be 40 years or more since I last heard it. How old was the temp (I'd assume not very) and was she from a country town?

[ 23. May 2017, 22:10: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6384 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
She meant sellotape or clear adhesive tape; Durex to us meant condoms.

In the US we tend to use the brand name, Scotch Tape. Condoms are rubbers.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's scotch tape here, from the brandname, which is used for paper. Adhesive tape is the term for first-aid or medical tape, clear or otherwise. Masking tape is the non-clear paper tape.

An "off-sale" is where you get beer or wine, never hard liquor. There are bars with off-sale licences and some without. A lounge is a nicer bar, where people tend to be better dressed and the drinks cost 50-100% more. Lounges are usually attached to restaurants.

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer

Posts: 10501 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Durex for sticky tape - now that takes me back, it must be 40 years or more since I last heard it. How old was the temp (I'd assume not very) and was she from a country town?

I can remember its use too but for a different reason. My maiden name was similar to Durex, so you can imagine what it was changed to by school friends. However it was the tape which was meant. No idea from any of us then as to what the other word meant.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9067 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a little hostly note to remind orfeo and mousethief which board this is. Many thanks.

jedijudy
Heaven Host

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17584 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Which reminds me further of the "washroom", where somehow people would say they're "seeing a man about a dog" if they wished to excuse themselves to use it.

Ladies say they have to "powder their nose," as the ladies' room is often called the powder room.

Ladies powder their noses here also, but we see a man about a horse rather than about a dog. Although the elocution is rather old-fashioned.

My favorite euphemism for this act is "wring a kidney."

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
"wring a kidney."

Ouch

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18631 | From: scarily close to 40° | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Part of the Americanization of the world is that the things that we used to rub out errors in pencil are now called erasers in NZ & OZ. [Roll Eyes]

[ 24. May 2017, 01:40: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18631 | From: scarily close to 40° | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
quote:
quote:

Ladies powder their noses here also, but we see a man about a horse rather than about a dog. Although the elocution is rather old-fashioned.

My favorite euphemism for this act is "wring a kidney."

"Hang a rat" is used in less polite company.

When the water disposal is on a septic tank which you must pay to have pumped out, you call the "honey man" who comes with the "honey truck" to take it all away. The cost per litre (or gallon) being what it is, everyone knows "if it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down".

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

Part of the Americanization of the world is that the things that we used to rub out errors in pencil are now called erasers in NZ & OZ. [Roll Eyes]
For a time "rubbers" meant rubber overshoes.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
For a time "rubbers" meant rubber overshoes.

Yes. My mother made me wear my rubbers to school on rainy days.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

Why the rolled eyes? I find it odd. And, unless Australia is an exception, it is likely you adopt things from all over. Everyone else does.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16056 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that Zappa was very discreetly drawing attention to the previous Oz naming of erasers as rubbers. In fact, to follow that through, rubbers as erasers were used to correct mistakes; as condoms they are used to prevent them.

--------------------

Posts: 6384 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We still use rubbers to rub out mistakes. That was where the conversation went after the request for Durex. It must have been 25 years ago, and I don't know where the temp came from in Australia.

Euphemisms for using the toilet: point Percy at the porcelain, commune with the great white telephone (usually to describe vomiting).

[ 24. May 2017, 04:40: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13287 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Salicional
Apprentice
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Ride the porcelain pony' is another euphemism for vomiting. I used to hear it a lot where I was growing up, but I don't know how widespread it is.
Posts: 50 | From: the rolling hills south of Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
'Ride the porcelain pony' is another euphemism for vomiting. I used to hear it a lot where I was growing up, but I don't know how widespread it is.

I'm used to hearing 'worship the porcelain god'.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 19997 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kneel before the porcelain throne...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19734 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where I grew up, near Manchester UK, it was shouting hello down the big white telephone.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48057 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think "Talking to Hughie" is another vivid Australianism.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 23806 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Interesting re "Hughie" which may reflect the sound made whilst vomitting. "Ralph" and "ralphing" (pronounced as spelled, not as "rafe") were used here for a time.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Here the vomiter is "driving the porcelain bus."

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard (to) chunder and technicolour yawn in my days...

[ 24. May 2017, 21:13: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7212 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thing...

Where is the floor on the level you walk into called a ground floor and where is it a first floor? Ground floor here. Though a lift [elevator, anyone?] at the building where my doctor's is has a 1 for it rather than a G which threw me.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In St. Louis the buildings are roughly evenly divided between those which call the floor-level-with-the-outside G (and then number the higher floors 1, 2, 3...) and those that call the FLWTO 1 and number the higher floors starting with 2.

I'm told it is an ethnic thing--we were settled mainly by Germans, French and Italians, and some of those folks had different customs from the rest.

So if you visit, take nothing for granted.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19734 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
In St. Louis the buildings are roughly evenly divided between those which call the floor-level-with-the-outside G

Floor-level-with-the-outside isn't always a well-defined thing: in a large building on a slope, there may be two or three floors-level-with-the-outside.

Conventionally, one refers to the floor-level-with-the-outside at the main entrance as the ground floor (or first floor, according to preference), but in something like a department store, "main" entrance can also be a rather arbitrary designation.

I could, of course, point you to a delightful building of my acquaintance where the floor-level-with-the-ground was numbered 3, the main entrance was up some stairs on 4, and there was a secondary entrance down some steps to 2. I don't think I ever had occasion to visit the floor numbered "1", but I believe that was the lowest floor that it had.

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

Thanks LC amd Leorning Cniht!

quote:
Interesting re "Hughie" which may reflect the sound made whilst vomitting.

I haven't heard that here.

The explanations I heard for Hughie are all to do with rain - "Send it down, Hughie!", and are a corruption of Jehovah/Yahweh; from the Greek "it's raining", huei [we're all Greek scholars I suppose!]; and even a harking back to St Hugh of Wessex [though Hughie seems a bit informal] who had great success with rain.

I like your explanation better, I add. Hughie the God of vomiting.

[ 24. May 2017, 22:22: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure how widespread this one is, but (in California) I've heard, of all things, 'going to tip the bishop' as a euphemism for a quick trip to the men's room. Also heard, 'drain the bishop.'

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1634 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

You can also call upon Hughie to send a good surf. Those calling upon him are very familiar with Ancient Greek, as you would understand.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
In St. Louis the buildings are roughly evenly divided between those which call the floor-level-with-the-outside G

Floor-level-with-the-outside isn't always a well-defined thing: in a large building on a slope, there may be two or three floors-level-with-the-outside.

Conventionally, one refers to the floor-level-with-the-outside at the main entrance as the ground floor (or first floor, according to preference), but in something like a department store, "main" entrance can also be a rather arbitrary designation.

I could, of course, point you to a delightful building of my acquaintance where the floor-level-with-the-ground was numbered 3, the main entrance was up some stairs on 4, and there was a secondary entrance down some steps to 2. I don't think I ever had occasion to visit the floor numbered "1", but I believe that was the lowest floor that it had.

In the oldest part of Seattle, some of the buildings start with floor 2 at street level, because at some point in the 19th century the streets were raised a full storey, and the former first floors abandoned, or used as a basement (below-grade) floor.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

The entry level floor is commonly the main floor, marked M in elevators. 1 is above it. If there is one floor below it is B for basement. If 2 floors below M, the lowest is B and the one between main and basement is ground.

The numbering of things brings me to grades and schooling. It is grade one, 2, 3 etc. Never 1st grade 2nd etc which is American usage I think. High school starts at grade 9 and goes to 12. Elementary or public school is grades 1 to 8. We have "grad", not "prom".

For university, it is 1st year, 2nd year etc. Not junior and sophomore etc. Which I cannot keep straight. Fraternities and sororities are illegal at universities in my province. So are athletic scholarships that pay more than tuition costs.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I think "Talking to Hughie" is another vivid Australianism.

Really? Hughie yes but i have never heard your phrase.

The phrase is "send her down Hughie," for use in a drought when rain is needed.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Another thing...

Where is the floor on the level you walk into called a ground floor and where is it a first floor? Ground floor here. Though a lift [elevator, anyone?] at the building where my doctor's is has a 1 for it rather than a G which threw me.

Ian, local Westfield shopping centre does this. I searched and searched for the shop I needed before discovering floors were not labelled as expected down here.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Another thing...

I searched for a shop when local Westfield was remodelled some years ago. Then I realised that ground floor was called 1.

[ 25. May 2017, 06:10: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but that's not Floor 1, it's Level 1, which is obviously something entirely different.

Or not ...

Anyway, when I was at University many moons ago, the Students' Union building was on a steeply sloping site. The main entrance was on the ground floor - but that was at the top! (This is about the best picture I can find).

[ 25. May 2017, 07:30: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 8761 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Ikea it's floor 0.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12336 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember parking on the ground floor carpark which was labeled as -1. I think that might have been an Ikea.

--------------------
my new book: Biblical But Bollocks. Available in all good bookshops.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
The phrase is "send her down Hughie," for use in a drought when rain is needed.

No, not then, but when a storm is about to hit, and probably to hit hard. The invocation of Hughie is met with an almost immediate result.

Not necessarily so with an invocation for a good surf.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I have looked at about ten sites. Most use the phrase of both a storm and also when rain is needed in a drought. Surf is also mentioned.

Here's one, there are others from MAcquarie dictionary and also other authorities.

--------------------

Salicional
Apprentice
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too have found it perplexing that in the USA a group of first-year college students is referred to as "freshmen", even if they all happen to be female.
Posts: 50 | From: the rolling hills south of Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
And the meals of the day are, in order: Breakfast, elevenses, lunch, tea, dinner and supper at respectively 9 am, 11 am, 1 pm, 4 pm, 8 pm and 10 pm.

So when is the time for second breakfasts?
[Biased]

Breakfast is at 7 am, and second breakfast at 9 am.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7680 | From: Canada, eh? | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I persist in believing that on this (eastern) side of the Pond you live, or a shop is to be found, in, rather than on , the High Street.
But I think the number of people who agree with me grows smaller by the day.

[ 25. May 2017, 17:26: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6356 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016