homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » potätö_potahtö (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: potätö_potahtö
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Insects: Ladybug (not -bird), mosquito (last syllable rhymes with toe), wasp (not hornet nor yellowjacket), horsefly (bulldog)

Aunt is said the same as ant.

Khaki. I say as car key. Most say caa kee. Pants are the term for trousers. Nobody says trousers. They are not khakis unless they are dun coloured. Shorts are worn over underwear, which for men are boxers or gotch.

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer
(formerly was just "no prophet") \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 10501 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
I am reminded of the controversies about "schedule" is shed-yule or sked-yule? I hear both here.

Also defence as d'fence and DEfence.

Which leads to defence versus defense. We'd use defence as the noun, also licence/license (noun/verb).

Isn't the verb "defend"?

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 62447 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Salicional
Apprentice
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Defence: to remove a fence?
Posts: 50 | From: the rolling hills south of Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
Defence: to remove a fence?

If you defence an area Defence has fenced, is a defence against Defence or an attack on Defence' fence?

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16064 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry. I meant the noun/vern distinction to apply to licence/licence. Badly posted on my part. The preferred spelling of defence here is with a "c" which brings it into line with the c in licence, defense is the spelling word processing programs seem to like, as Cdn spellings aren't usually an option.

We also do counsellor. not counselor, though not woollen.

Posts: 10501 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A yellow-jacket and a wasp are different beasties--closely related, but different.

A wasp is black; a yellow-jacket has yellow stripes.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 19999 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our wasps are black and yellow striped. At least, the common wasps. There are numbers of wasp species of various types which are not striped, small ones with parasitical habits and so on. But it is the common ones which break up picnics and such like activities.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are all wasps. The different names are local and/or descriptive of the physical variations, but hornets, yellow-jackets and wasps are all wasps.
Even these lovelies.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16064 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More wasp species than bees and ants, aren't there? My Grandad had a book called "Ants, Bees and Wasps" which, I was told, he pronounced "Aunts, Bees and Wassps" - short a as in 'hat'
Salicional
Apprentice
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A mountain range we can't agree on the pronunciation of: the Appalachians. People in this vicinity pronounce the third syllable like "latch", but I'd be curious to know if there are places where a long A is used.
Posts: 50 | From: the rolling hills south of Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A mountain range we can't agree on the pronunciation of: the Appalachians. People in this vicinity pronounce the third syllable like "latch", but I'd be curious to know if there are places where a long A is used.

I'm all for letting people live in a place decide how to pronounce it. Like Orrygun.

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 62447 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Where I grew up, we pronounced Appalachians with the long A. (Clarion county, PA.)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17584 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in the Appalachians, and everyone around here says ap-pa-LAY-chun ahd ap-pa-LAY-cha.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 19999 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We'd say much the same (on the very rare occasions it arises here, not everyday) but would be more likely to say the last syllable as shen (I can't see how to do the indeterminate e on this board, much more indeterminate than shan and almost shn) or she (again the same).

[ 15. June 2017, 11:28: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6393 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I live in the Appalachians, and everyone around here says ap-pa-LAY-chun ahd ap-pa-LAY-cha.

Meanwhile, I'm in the state that is immediately south of you, and here it is pronounced ap-pa-LATCH-un and ap-pa-LATCH-a. That's what those who live in the Tar Heel portion of the Appalachians say, and that is most definitely what everyone at Appalachian State University says.

[ 15. June 2017, 11:48: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2351 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016