homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Broken

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Broken
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't remember where the 'Rev' threads were, but maybe here is OK to talk about 'Broken' on BBC. I just caught up on episode 1 on i-player, and episode 2 is on tomorrow night I think.

So far it seems to be a northern, RC take on "Rev"'s London CofE thing, without jokes. And - IMHO - really compelling, believable and sympathetic.

I wanted to encourage yous to watch it, but not talk all over this thread in the OP; hopefully someone else has something to say about it.

cheers
Mark

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps I should have added a bit more. Here's a link to the BBC website and a page which describes the series and gives a short interview with Jimmy McGovern, the writer.

--------------------
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did see episode 1, and enjoyed it. I am not sure it is really "Rev", but it is a positive and realistic look at clergy life - and how it fits with the world.

--------------------
Blog
My books for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18309 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's the 3rd episode tonight; I have recorded the first two episodes. Not watched any of them yet, but all reports say it's pretty good. The only reservation I've read about was from someone who didn't think people in trouble would gravitate towards the clergy in this day and age [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1774 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Second episode. It has Sean Bean and Anna Friel, so it must be good.

I think within the Catholic community, there is still the sense of a community around the clergy and the church, so I don't find it too jarring from that perspective.

--------------------
Blog

Posts: 18309 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I think within the Catholic community, there is still the sense of a community around the clergy and the church, so I don't find it too jarring from that perspective.

Yep, hence the eye-rolling. I suspect the reviewer in question meant "this is not in my immediate experience and therefore it can't be true".

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

I'm not RC but our kids are in Catholic schools and we know the priest and the church well. As far as I can see the drama hasn't put a foot wrong yet (the bit I don't know anything about is confession - my wife is Irish RC and remembers it a bit different to the way it is on screen and maybe the way it is now in England). It's really, really compelling. I hope it doesn't go to shite.

I'm a bit wary of discussing it with my RC friends as Jimmy McGovern did 'Priest', which probably places him beyond the pale. And if I like it, as a prod, it might put them off.

--------------------

Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for alerting me to this programme. I have just now watched the first one and enjoyed it. I'm hoping there will be a lot of development of the priest character in the next few episodes. For a non-Catholic it's always interesting to see and hear liturgy which isn't familiar - I presume he's using the recently changed version of the eucharistic prayers e.g. "this is the chalice..." etc.
Posts: 187 | From: I wish I knew | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Just finished episode 2. Sean Bean does do tortured individual very well (but it probably means that he will die at the end of series 1).

The main story line in Ep2 really brutal, really intense. And Bean did well, it is interesting to see his backstory.

--------------------
Blog

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

Ack, you're right. Two episodes it is. The first ep must have been postponed as it's Planet Earth II masquerading as Broken on my DVR.

Not watched it yet, but I really enjoyed 'Priest' so am looking forward to it.

My friend, a new Christian (Confirmed today!) has found it both engaging and instructive. I believe there was some mention of the ringing of bells at important moments in a Latin Mass.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
I'm a bit wary of discussing it with my RC friends as Jimmy McGovern did 'Priest', which probably places him beyond the pale.And if I like it, as a prod, it might put them off.

I have RC friends (including a priest) who thought that 'Priest' was excellent and true to life.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 22853 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

I'm sure - it's just that my RC friends (yes, and the priest [Smile] ) take a strong traditional line on sexual dead horses, to the point that they join Mary and transubstantiation in the pile of things we don't talk about so as not to rupture our relationship. Hence my comment.

(Our elder's godmothers are married to each other, and also RC...obviously they feel differently, and also obviously they are not part of the same circle).

[ 08. June 2017, 18:24: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The series has a very old fashioned feel to it - romantic notion of poverty, extended family etc. As for a character being called 'Christian'...

[ 09. June 2017, 16:52: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had a lot of time for Jimmy McGovern since Cracker
For me his writings feel like they're from the hip and more often than not hitting the target.

Broken is slow paced by comparison and appears to be offering a more consolatory view to some of his previous takes on the RCC.
Having said that if it wasn't for Sean Bean playing the lead role I may have not stuck with it.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 2967 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

I like slow. I really liked the TV version of Paul Whitehouse's 'Nurse', which was much funnier than 'Broken' but perhaps a little similar in presenting a blunt and compassionate (and in my experience / view very realistic) view of certain shit angles to our lives. It's a shame it got canned - it was easy to see why people wouldn't get it.

I liked episode 3 of broken. I suppose I thought it would be a bit much for a priest to get hit with all this in the same couple of weeks, but hey, maybe someone will cater for my 'slow' preferences one day and present a real-time dramatisation of a priest watching his congregation die off. Co-incidentally I'm also now having another go at 'the Brothers Karamazov'; more attempts to weave a drama around the intersection of life, religion and philosophical elephants.

--------------------

Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
**Slight spoiler for first 2 episodes**

Do the police and CPS really bother themselves to prosecute individuals who delay reporting a death for 4 days in order to claim one week's or one month's worth of the deceased's pension? Surely that costs a shedload more than the fraudulently obtained pension payment. I vaguely recall hearing of a real-live case or two of folks being prosecuted for fraudulently claiming the pension of somebody who'd died, but I'm pretty sure in those cases the suspects had kept claiming for months or even years after the death. Doesn't seem to me to be in the public interest to pursue a prosecution in Christina's case. Those in charge of the country for the past 7 years have been utterly heartless ideologues intent on protecting the interests of the few at the expense of our society's most vulnerable - which makes me wonder if Christina would be prosecuted to make an example of her. Nevertheless, I'm still hoping there might be some poetic licence involved in that part of the storyline. (As there certainly was in Michael's courtroom speech. As an overworked frontline representative of 'social services', if I was contacted and told that granny had died and mum had not reported it for 4 days, I might have been a bit worried about the state of mum's mental and emotional health but it would not have come anywhere remotely near my thresholds for removing children from mum's care (said as somebody who's now been in this game long enough that I continually have a caseload of children who've been removed or are right on the brink of removal from parents' care, 'cos I'm experienced enough for it ...).)

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3077 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

I'm not sure. I could imagine a low-level magistrates court sort of thing - isn't that what was depicted?

The DSS scenes looked realistic from what my friends in that position tell me - it would be odd if the writer had gone for this kind of dramatic realism but dropped a clanger around a procedure making up a major plot device.

(ETA - Zoey, I of course accept your view that the social worker angle is wonky, so my faith in the rest ought to be a little shaken [Smile] )

[ 21. June 2017, 21:53: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

A very moving scene in Ep5. Quite looking forward to the last episode even though we can guess what's coming.

Have to confess to not quite understanding how Broken meant to be funny. This from someone whose black sense of humour found a few chuckles in Cracker.
I suppose someone working as a catholic priest might Bean's depiction humorous in the same way a farmer might find The Archers funny.

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

There were some great one-liners - I liked the bit where Bean's priest-mate mentions that giving up sugar in tea 'puts the Crucifixion into perspective'...

I'm not sure what's coming next, though I've seen the short write-up on the I player site.

I thought Ep. 5 dealt sensitively with the remaining tension in the RCC over certain dead horses. I'm sad to say it means I definitely won't be able to talk about the series with my RC friends, and that's a shame as Bean's character makes me proud to be a Christian and hopeful that those outside the church might understand something of his faith and the different directions in which he is pulled. There he is, lighting candles and talking about Jesus every episode, without neglecting heavy shit like clerical child abuse and those dead horses - it's remarkable.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

So many stereotypes - the priest as hero, the gay man as a mincing mnoher's boy and the black man as bigot.

I'll be glad when the series finishes.

But for the fame of the author, I don't think the BBC would have given it air time..

[ 30. June 2017, 17:34: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

Ouch. Later, Dude.

Unless you want to talk about it?

The gay guy reminded me of Crisp in the Naked Civil Servant. Are effeminate gay men somehow culturally passe / no longer acceptable as one possible public face of male homosexuality?

Have you never met a Caribbean guy who hates gays (I worship with several), or read anything about the life of homosexuals in that culture?

And did you never meet a priest you liked?

[ 30. June 2017, 18:46: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Reminds me of the glamorisation of priests by the Additional Curates Society deputation sermons.

As if careres, nurses etc. don't also live sacrificial lives.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I am just catching up with it. I think it deoes provide a good insight into communities. It uses the central character of a priest - in the confessions - to provide some real insight into the community, the real pains.

I loved the reality of the suicide, the decision made, and struggled with, the fact that nobody else knew. Yes, some stereotypes, but some wonderful insights into what a real community is about, seen from the dark side.

IMO, very good. Not funny, except in the sense that Bean has to struggle with all this knowledge.

--------------------
Blog

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Having watched the whole series I would say the program delivered on most of the points it raised.
Hadn't really thought about the stereotype aspect, difficult to see how entertainment can engage without a degree of stereotyping.

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Just finished episode 2. Sean Bean does do tortured individual very well (but it probably means that he will die at the end of series 1).

[Snigger]
I watched episode 1 and it put me in mind of The Casual Vacancy. JK Rowling managed to kill off her hero before anything happened in that one; what's Sean Bean waiting for?

Cattyish, really need to stop procrastinating and do a job of work on my spare room.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1782 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016