homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Staying Cool (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Staying Cool
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my neck of the woods the weather report is over 100 degrees F next week. My plan of dealing with the heat is open the windows at night and run several fans and then close up tight early in the morning. I spend the day drinking ice water usually with a squeeze of lemon and serve cold meals that require little cooking. I wear light loose clothing and stay inside out of the sun once it is 10 AM.

How do you stay cool on hot days.

--------------------
Notice to police, Should my body ever be found on a jogging trail, know that I was murdered elsewhere and my body dumped there."

Posts: 2552 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Technology is my friend. Air conditioning is essential for people with allergies anyway, and the cool air is a bonus. (I live near Washington DC where the humidity and heat is famously tropical; it is not possible to find an office or a home around here built in the last 50 years that isn't air conditioned.)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 4908 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A/C is essential in Arizona. The temperature is predicted to hit 120F (48.8C) by next Tuesday. And no, it doesn't cool down at night, so sleeping with the windows open and fans on is an impossibility.

I go outside as little as possible, and always wear a hat when I do.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10055 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Salicional
Apprentice
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So basically you spend the whole summer trying not to go outside? I don't think I could handle that!
Posts: 50 | From: the rolling hills south of Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Move to Phoenix and you'll learn fast enough!

I go out when I have to. From air-conditioned condo to air-conditioned car. For groceries, church, entertainment, etc. I'll sometimes have breakfast out on the porch, before it starts to heat up, or I'll sit out after sunset. I'll walk out to the mailbox.

But otherwise, no. In Phoenix, in summer, you stay inside.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cooked an entire pot of lentils and rice last weekend, when it was 90 degrees out, without heating up the entire house. Thanks, electric pressure cooker! I also do quite a bit of grilling at this time of year.

Cold drinks- lots of cold water, iced tea, and iced mate (Terere). Cold beer and raddlers as the day draws on.

The young one likes to get in cold water. I'll either turn on the sprinkler and chase her around, or we'll go to a park with a fountain we can run in. She's also too young to be embarrassed by dad walking around without a shirt on, so I'm riding that as long as I can. (I have memories of my dad walking around shirtless all summer, so it just seems like my prerogative as a dad.) And while I will put on a shirt before going to church ( [Biased] ) I feel no shame about wearing shorts.

I'll also get into the spirit and listen to music from and read books about places that I associate with hot weather. I just finished a book about Laos, and there is lots of African music playing at my house this time of year.

And when it gets really bad? Retreat to mom and dad's house in the mountains, where it is never too hot.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3053 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
So basically you spend the whole summer trying not to go outside? I don't think I could handle that!

Here in the Phoenix area I avoid the outdoors about the same as I did in winter when I lived in the northeaster U.S.

I drink lots of water and have been eating salads most days for dinner. No cooking, no warm food. And I'll be escaping the heat three times this summer, traveling to cooler places.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9109 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Amanda, living in a temperate climate where the extreme temperatures range between about -5C (23F) and 28c (82F) I have difficulty even imagining that kind of heat, and the kind of lifestyle it demands. I can understand why you can't go out in summer, but for me the idea of not going out in summer would be as weird as the sky turning green.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9785 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had the central air on once this spring. And then only when the air was muggy beyond belief.

Years of spending winter and spring in India have conditioned me to 1. Remove clothing when it is hot. 2. Add clothing as needed in cold weather - as my mother used to say: I'm cold, you kids put on a sweater.

No real need for electrical devices.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My place of employment has over-active air conditioning. Stepping out of the heat is at first wonderful. But soon the question becomes not so much how to keep cool, but rather how to stay warm!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11554 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems as if everywhere is overly air conditioned around here. I have to take a sweater or jacket with me when going to a restaurant, theater, grocery store, even church. It is such a waste of electricity, and it makes it feel even hotter when you step back outside.

One place where I used to work, I wore a hoody all summer. If my boss saw me take it off, she immediately headed for the thermostat to lower it a few more degrees.
[Mad]

[ 15. June 2017, 21:53: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had someone around the office who was turning on the A/C whenever the building temp got above 70. Which is not only bad for your A/C unit, apparently, but also really annoying when it's only March and the rest of the folks in the office want to open some windows to get fresh air in for the first time in a few months.

--------------------

Salicional
Apprentice
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just went to Wikipedia and looked up some climate statistics for Phoenix. Yowza! An average of 107 days per year where the mercury hits 100F (38C). That's just bonkers! To think about the early settlers there, in the pre air-conditioning days...were they resilient, crazy, or a little of both?
Posts: 50 | From: the rolling hills south of Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
To think about the early settlers there, in the pre air-conditioning days...were they resilient, crazy, or a little of both?

Probably a little of both! However, before buildings and paved roads and parking lots covered so much area, it wasn't as hot. Now it rarely cools off in the evenings and mornings once July arrives. I've lived here for over 30 years and can tell the difference. (Not to mention climate change.)

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Traditional Southwestern architecture was far more sensible -- thick adobe walls, careful alignment of windows and eaves.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come north ye people. High today was 19°C (66°F) and low is 9°C (48F). Anything above about about 10°, we are all in shirt sleeves, shorts and sandals. I prefer cooler, I can always put on additional clothes, but there's only so much a person can take off.

We do get some hot days (up to about 35°C - 95, but thankfully not too many. Virtually all homes have full basements, and on those days, everyone sleeps downstairs.

Posts: 10501 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda Clough wrote
quote:
Technology is my friend. Air conditioning is essential for people with allergies anyway, and the cool air is a bonus. (I live near Washington DC where the humidity and heat is famously tropical; it is not possible to find an office or a home around here built in the last 50 years that isn't air conditioned.)

I grew up in DC back in the pre air cooled days. I remember taking a bath and going to bed wet in the hope of going to sleep before I grew hot. We kids would swipe ice from the back of the milk delivery truck, and rub it on our necks. Sometimes they would open the fire hydrants and let us play in the water. If it was really hot the whole family would head to the movie theater which had a large sign across the front saying, " It is cool inside." I am sure the air conditioning paid for itself the first year. Oh yes and the church had fans with a picture of Jesus on them.

--------------------
Notice to police, Should my body ever be found on a jogging trail, know that I was murdered elsewhere and my body dumped there."

Posts: 2552 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
I cooked an entire pot of lentils and rice last weekend, when it was 90 degrees out, without heating up the entire house. Thanks, electric pressure cooker! I also do quite a bit of grilling at this time of year.

Yes, and the slow cooker as well. You'd think of that as a winter utensil for long cooked casseroles, but it's great for roasts and other dishes that can be eaten hot or cold. Cook a leg of lamb or piece of beef on Sunday to have hot, and then again cold a couple of nights later. If your cookers the right size, you can also use it to cook terrines. Our oval one very nicely takes an oval pyrex dish in which Madame can cook a terrine plenty big enough give 4 main course servings.

BBQ outdoors, with charcoal if you're allowed light a fire, gas on nights when there's a fire ban. It's very easy to cook vegetables inside using the microwave and that does not heat a kitchen much. Salads are an alternative.

BTW, what's a raddler please?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6384 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hate heat. Cold, you can put more clothes on, hot, you're screwed.

Been too hot most of this week.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17310 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
It seems as if everywhere is overly air conditioned around here.

No such thing. I'm plagued by people in this office who moan as soon as the AC goes on, even as the temperature moves into the upper 20s. I'm absolutely dripping with sweat. Wish the nesh people would just put a sodding jumper on.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
BBQ outdoors, with charcoal if you're allowed light a fire, gas on nights when there's a fire ban. It's very easy to cook vegetables inside using the microwave.

I wrap my veggies in aluminum foil, maybe with a few drops of water, and steam them on the BBQ while I'm grilling the meat. Doesn't dirty up a pot or dish that way.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:

Lager or wheat beer with lemon-lime soda. As little as a splash of soda will do, but you can go all the way to a 1:1 ratio and still have a tasty drink.

Before anyone rolls their eyes and says "you Americans," (a) I actually first encountered the concept while hiking between kellers in the Franconian woods, and (b) don't knock it till you've tried it.

Re: vegetables in the microwave, I do this in the dead of winter. Saves time, energy, and clean up.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A raddler and a shandy are about the same thing. Shandygaff means I think ginger ale and beer.

I don't think anyone outside of western Canada drinks a redeye, which is 50/50 beer and tomato juice. Can also be with clamato, but I don't know that clamato is available many places (clam juice and tomato juice). A zing of Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce takes it up another notch.

Posts: 10501 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not hot at all here up norf.

You can get cool mats for dogs. Do they exist for humans too?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12336 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Lager or wheat beer with lemon-lime soda. As little as a splash of soda will do, but you can go all the way to a 1:1 ratio and still have a tasty drink.
If it's just a splash of lemonade, it would be a 'lager top' in the UK (possibly Northern usage, someone can correct me).
Posts: 1774 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

No prophet's flag posted
quote:
I don't think anyone outside of western Canada drinks a redeye, which is 50/50 beer and tomato juice. Can also be with clamato, but I don't know that clamato is available many places (clam juice and tomato juice). A zing of Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce takes it up another notch.
Here in Northern CA. you can see people often getting them with brunch. They are not on a par with Bloody Mary but seen now and then.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shandys (shandies?) here were a drink never seen outside the Ladies Saloon or Lounge, when there were such places. But thanks all for the information.

We do many vegetables in the microwave all year round - energy efficient, clean, quick, easy to control and manage timing, the microwave comes out ahead.

--------------------

Posts: 6384 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
It's not hot at all here up norf.

You can get cool mats for dogs. Do they exist for humans too?

Not sure if they sre the same but yes, sheets etc and pillows are available.

A friend in Tasmania with a chronic illness similar to leukaemia swears by them. Heat makes her illness much worse.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9067 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:
quote:

If it's just a splash of lemonade, it would be a 'lager top' in the UK (possibly Northern usage, someone can correct me).
Beer for people who don't like beer.

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I go out with the dog as early as 6.30 am as it is still cool enough around 22-25 deg C. On days I don't go to Pilates I take fruit and yoghurt in my Thermos thingy (and eat it at the lake or the creek after my Morning Prayers)

We are always back by 9.30, 10 am at the max

Usually turn on air-con at 10 or 10.30 to 24 Deg C

In the evenings the "breezah" usually allows us to open all the windows and re-oxygenise and air out the place

At night I either sleep with partner (air-con on 24 deg C) or in the "boys' room" (as it was when there were boys) at 22 deg C

We have these lovely blankets called "piquee" here - soft 100% cotton and a special waffle(?) weave so they drape beautifully.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 583 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hopefully you live in an older house without insulated walls or something constructed on traditional lines - straw bales, flint, etc.

Windows open to catch whatever breeze there is, wide open at night and curtains open.

NO ICE. Cool drinks and cold food: salad nicoise, tabbouleh, cold souffles, etc, etc, etc. Above all only eat when you feel hungry, not when you feel you should.

20 hour protection sun cream applied first thing in the morning.

And I swim outside every day from (roughly) May to November.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4514 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Today in Phoenix they're saying that it may be too hot for planes to take off and land.

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Today in Phoenix they're saying that it may be too hot for planes to take off and land.

An it is supposed to be hotter there tomorrow (49C). Glad I decided not to spend June there this year. Think I'll wait until November.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7680 | From: Canada, eh? | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:

An it is supposed to be hotter there tomorrow (49C). Glad I decided not to spend June there this year. Think I'll wait until November.
You're coming in November? SHIPMEET!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:

Yup. 20 flights so far.

I hope things cool off by Sunday, when I have a mid-afternoon flight out of Phoenix.

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have a house in Maricopa. Now that I am retired, I will spend most of the winter there.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7680 | From: Canada, eh? | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have a house in Maricopa. Now that I am retired, I will spend most of the winter there.
Wonderful! Let us know when you're coming down and we'll have a Meet. There are four Shippies (that we've been able to identify) in the Phoenix area.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please, please, please, try to use the horn a little less when you are driving. The heat is making everyone a bit snarky so honking at everyone doesn't help.

btw, by "heat" I mean lower 30's. This is Britain after all and we don't get anything over 40C.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 23806 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Salicional
Apprentice
# 16461

Out of curiosity, do people in Arizona, Nevada etc. schedule weddings during the summer, as is typical elsewhere? Or do they wait for cooler weather before asking all their friends & relatives to gather there?
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I've attended summer weddings, although I can't say how frequent they are compared to the rest of the year. Most churches are air conditioned, as are most reception halls. In fact, it's rare to find a building of any kind that isn't.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some years ago my wife and I attended an Anglican service in Budapest, in a large gazebo in the Rector's garden. The day was scorching hot and the congregation were all in T-shirts and shorts. The Rector however was clad in full vestments.

Before the service started he asked permission to remove one small item. We readily concurred, but throughout the service we were quite worried he'd drop to the floor with the heat! (He didn't).

Posts: 8761 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

In southern climates now it is rare to find any public building that isn't fiercely air conditioned. (Americans find this startling, when they visit Britain and Europe.) It is why the appetite for power has grown so enormously in the region, and thus why drought (and the drop in water behind dams that supply hydroelectric power) is so dangerous. However, it is certainly true that the southwest could have been ordained by God for solar power collection. If we can all shift over to solar power we can refrigerate ourselves merrily on into the future.

--------------------

Salicional
Apprentice
# 16461

Sure, I get that. I was thinking mainly of the associated trappings of weddings -- outdoor photos, for example. And getting people's grandparents from the church to the reception hall can't be easy in 110-degree heat!
ACK
Apprentice
# 16756

- Posted      Profile for ACK   Email ACK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Living in the UK heat is not usually a problem. But we seem to be getting all our summer at once this week, with extreme temperatures (i.e. above 30 deg C - cf Sioni Sais above).

I have taken to getting the ice pack out of the freezer, wrapping it in a T-towel to take to bed with me.

(That is a medical pack containing gel used to relieve pain, you can use either cold by putting in the freezer or hot by putting in boiling water. I think I have only ever used it as a cold water bottle.)

--------------------
'It's the only thing that worries me about going to Heaven. Would I ever get used to the height.' Norman Clegg

Posts: 40 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Out of curiosity, do people in Arizona, Nevada etc. schedule weddings during the summer, as is typical elsewhere? Or do they wait for cooler weather before asking all their friends & relatives to gather there?

In my experience (over 35 years in Arizona) most weddings are in the spring and fall, or occasionally right after Christmas. For one thing, anyone who can possibly get out of town does so. (Church attendance is about half what it is the winter; live theatre, concerts, etc. are pretty much non-existent, etc.) And, as you said, one still has to get from the air conditioned car to the air conditioned church to the air conditioned reception venue.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Some years ago my wife and I attended an Anglican service in Budapest, in a large gazebo in the Rector's garden. The day was scorching hot and the congregation were all in T-shirts and shorts. The Rector however was clad in full vestments.

Before the service started he asked permission to remove one small item. We readily concurred, but throughout the service we were quite worried he'd drop to the floor with the heat! (He didn't).

We once went to an Ash Wednesday service in an inland town. Despite it's being 7 pm or perhaps a little later, the temp was still in the high 30s. No air-conditioning there. The priest came out beforehand to apologise that he would not be wearing a chasuble, as the vestment was always hot and the Lenten purple particularly so. He went off to vest and appeared in alb and stole, and wearing sandals. Who knows what he was wearing underneath, but who could blame him if it were minimal. And it looked timeless, 1500 years ago or today.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I went to an outdoor wedding in Tennessee in July. It was in the mountains, so it was probably only in the high 80s, but with humidity and in dress clothes, that's still hot. They requested that most people park near where the service was held and walk to the reception (about a half a mile) to allow older guests to park near the air conditioned hall.

Everyone made it, although through a bit of bad planning, the only way to get water at the reception was to wait in the bar line. If you ever find yourself asking people to walk a half a mile in heat, at least have bottled water available as soon as people arrive at the destination.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was the marriage to last, Og? Now, if they start with poor planning...!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7157 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I had to be in our fair capital - I'd forgotten just how horrid London can be in a heatwave. Still, the tennis was good (lots of upsets) and the Pimms flowed.

Temperature when I got home after 10pm was still over 25 degrees so it was straight into the pond for a swim.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4514 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Was the marriage to last, Og? Now, if they start with poor planning...!

It'll be 12 years and two kids next week!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016