homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Staying Cool (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Staying Cool
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is scary ... partner and I will be visiting the SW USA in August .... basically Yellowstone, Flagstaff, Las Vegas, LA and San Francisco. Bad timing I know* but it is out of our control. So what temps can we expect?

* Total Solar Eclipse anyone?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3075 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yellowstone and San Francisco are not in the SW. Yellowstone is at a higher elevation and should be warm but pleasant and maybe a little cool in the evening. San Francisco has a moderate climate.

Vegas will be beastly.

PS: It sounds like an awesome trip, though. Some wonderful places.

[ 22. June 2017, 01:53: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

Posts: 20673 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Vegas will be beastly.

That's true even when it's relatively chilly there.

(I hate that place.)

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3053 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
sllc
Shipmate
# 12707

- Posted      Profile for sllc   Email sllc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
So basically you spend the whole summer trying not to go outside? I don't think I could handle that!

If you lived in Atlanta GA, you would too. LOL
Posts: 179 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We moved to Fredericton, New Brunswick a year ago and discovered that temperatures over 30°C (86°F) are not uncommon - and with humidity levels pushing the feel of the temperature up towards the mid/high 30s. As many Shipmates know, my comfort zone doesn't really extend much above about 20°. [Eek!]

Thankfully, our new house has two heat-exchanger units, which administer coolness in a very efficient way (and they're not bad at keeping it warm when the outside temperature's -20° either).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 18986 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ACK:
Living in the UK heat is not usually a problem.

I wish that were so.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17310 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's always annoying when the locals assure you, "Oh, it's never like this." This being nearly 100 degrees. If it's never like this, WHAT IS IT DOING NOW?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 4913 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
...San Francisco has a moderate climate...

quote:
Mark Twain remarked:

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My normal technique is to have all the windows open, especially upstairs to establish a current drawn in from below at the back in the shade. Also all the blinds and curtains closed on the sunny side.

Differences of opinion arise with people who think the correct process is to have all the windows closed and the blinds open on the sunny side, which I lose.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016