homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Ominous words (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ominous words
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Amanda: "Kids go free" = choose a different hotel.
Posts: 9019 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Just a little scratch".

--------------------
Blog
My books for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18397 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It'll be over by Christmas

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 2979 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Let's take a helicopter view of the problem" - in other words he or she hasn't got the faintest idea how to solve it.
Posts: 351 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lets not forget the childhood favourite Wait 'till your father gets home [Eek!]

[ 25. June 2017, 12:55: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4547 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"You won't even notice that we're here" - from builders/workmen.

Or its corollary: "This may cause a little bit of disruption".

Posts: 9019 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Strong and Stable" aka weak and wobbly.

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 54 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I'm glad you asked me that question..." = a Polly Titian is about to prevaricate, and/or tell fibs...

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8352 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Lets not forget the childhood favourite Wait 'till your father gets home [Eek!]

or the Scouse equivalent:

Wait 'til your father's sober!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
"You won't even notice that we're here" - from builders/workmen.

... builders being builders, chances are they're not there. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From news websites e.g. BBC:

"Subject X - all you need to know"

[Mad]

I'll be the judge of that.....

IJ

--------------------

Posts: 8352 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The latest neologism from customer service: "Best Effort".
Posts: 23848 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your call is important to us
true meaning = you've already been on-hold for 2 minutes; expect to be on hold for at least another 10 and, frankly (my dear) we couldn't give a sh*t.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4547 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
From news websites e.g. BBC:

"Subject X - all you need to know"

Equally - in shops or newspapers - "!) Essential for a happy holiday (or whatever)".
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From a TV commercial for an anti-depressant:

"Side effects may include depression . . ."

From a TV commercial for an asthma drug:

"Side effects may include death from asthma . . ."

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 136 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

That would be a drug to ameliorate the symptoms of asthma, right?

I'm reminded of Sir Walter Raleigh's remarks* anent the headsman's axe, just before he was executed:

"'Tis a sharp remedy, but a sure one for all ills"

IJ

(*or words to that effect - accounts differ, but you get the point. Or the edge.)

--------------------

Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm reminded of Sir Walter Raleigh's remarks* anent the headsman's axe, just before he was executed:

IJ

(*or words to that effect - accounts differ, but you get the point. Or the edge.)

Yes. Though I'm a bit more taken by the notion of death as a "side effect." As you and Sir Walter note, it's a cure-all.

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 136 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Tube, announced after a long list of 'minor
delays', 'severe delays' and 'planned engineering works':

"A good service is running on all other lines".

My response is usually to quote Eric Morecambe, from the
Andre Previn sketch:

"That's only your opinion."

--------------------
Searching for a new sig...

Posts: 9125 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Baptist Trainfan mentioned:

"Essential for a happy holiday (or whatever)".

- usually referring to one or other of the Feasts of St. Hallmark... [Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The next tube is held - can mean 2 minutes or several hours, if not days.

Customer incident - could be a passenger pulling an alarm or someone under a train. Depressingly regular that last one.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13441 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, but much better than the appalling 'announcement' I heard one evening many years ago at a crowded Charing Cross:

'Trains are being delayed due to some woman throwing herself onto the line at [can't recall exactly where]' - as though said announcer were police, coroner, jury, and all...

The sharp intake of breath from the assembled multitude was something I'd never heard before. The announcer, I gather, was dismissed instantly.

IJ

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are being held momentarily due to train traffic in the tunnel ahead. Could mean anything, from five seconds to minutes to hours.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11587 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

IJ

Thanks, Bishop's Finger. There is a book by Reginald Hill titled

A Cure for All Diseases. I knew the title was a quotation, but I couldn't remember where it came from. I thought it was Shakespeare, so I wasn't too far off in the timing.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9891 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
“We have to get with the program. Let’s keep up with the times.” - a city council member at last week's Planning Committee, speaking in favour of a high rise development in a congested area with inadequate access and parking.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 825 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

"Peace in our time"
Chamberlain 1939

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
"Peace in our time"
Chamberlain 1939

Benjamin Disraeli, 1878, said it first after the Congress of Berlin. Both times the phrase is actually "peace for our time".

(I think Chamberlain has had a bit of an undeserved rough treatment by history as an appeasing ditherer. He was roundly cheered and congratulated for getting an agreement with Herr Hitler)

Posts: 10627 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Lose 40 pounds with just 20 minutes a day on our latest [brand name] home workout apparatus."

Sweetie, if I had the bod you had in your "before" photo, I could get all the exercise I needed by just rolling my eyes. If anyone didn't need to lose 40 ounces, let alone 40 pounds, it was you!

And of course you lost 40 pounds. That's how much the money weighed that you had to shell out for the "latest home workout apparatus."

As for me, I couldn't lose 40 pounds if I exercised on that danged contraption for 20 hours a day, every day, from now to Kingdom Come.

(Sorry if this has turned into a rant.) [Mad]

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10145 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The next tube is held - can mean 2 minutes or several hours, if not days.

Customer incident - could be a passenger pulling an alarm or someone under a train. Depressingly regular that last one.

Better perhaps than an announcement I once heard on the Intercity to Glasgow: "We are now approaching Carnforth station. We are running approximately 10 minutes late. This is entirely due to delays occurred before reaching Carnforth". [Confused]
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

There's a Goon-show-like mad logic in that, somehow, somewhere.....

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Delays due to "Signalling Problems" or "Points problems" around here, especially on early morning trains (before 7am) often means that someone has stolen the copper cables again.

--------------------
Fearfully and wonderfully mad

ن
blog

Posts: 8617 | From: Somewhere else | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Better perhaps than an announcement I once heard on the Intercity to Glasgow: "We are now approaching Carnforth station. We are running approximately 10 minutes late. This is entirely due to delays occurred before reaching Carnforth". [Confused]

This reminds me of one of the few times I have been on a plane. In St. Louis, heading back to Philadelphia, my plane was delayed on the ground "because of congestion in the air at Philadelphia." Okay, that seemed fair enough. Delay a bit on the ground to allow those other planes to clear out before we got there.

Except that once we got up in the air, the pilot promised that they would fly a little faster so that the plane arrived at its originally scheduled time. But...but...but...if we are going to be in the air over Philly at the same time as scheduled, then it served No Purpose At All to wait on the ground in St. Louis.

Back to the OP, I have developed a dread of hearing the phrase "for a limited time" in a commercial. One commercial (for a "free" book that will teach me how to make millions) urges me to hurry because the offer of a free book is for a limited time and "when they are gone, they are gone." This particular commercial has run every day for about two years now. Another one, promising a special deal on a collection of Old Time Radio recordings, has been available "for a limited time" for about 8 months now.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2574 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
I have developed a dread of hearing the phrase "for a limited time" in a commercial. One commercial <<snip>> has been available "for a limited time" for about 8 months now.

This is especially true of commercials offering gold coins. "A five dollar gold coin, legal tender, yours for only $19.95. Hurry, act now, to avoid disappointment and future regret."

Well, first of all, if it's legal tender, then it's worth $5.00, not $19.95. The only "future regret" I would have is spending four times than what it is worth.

Oh, and have you noticed that almost all products offered in TV commercials cost $19.95?

[ 10. July 2017, 14:33: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Limited time offers remind me of a fabric shop in Wellington that had a "Closing Down Sale" sign that was up for a number of years. I think the Commerce Commission finally had it removed as misleading advertising.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Limited time offers remind me of a fabric shop in Wellington that had a "Closing Down Sale" sign that was up for a number of years. I think the Commerce Commission finally had it removed as misleading advertising.

Huia

Also in Taihape – been empty for several years.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2577 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Party political slogans

The National Party's 'delivering for New Zealanders' begs the question, 'Delivering what?'

Exactly what I think every time I drive past it.

Poverty and unaffordable housing was suggested. I'd add 'adequate health care.'

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2577 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One from where I work:

"We will be upgrading your version of X."

This means you can be d*mned sure X won't work for the next week and probably your whole computer will crash too.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 581 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It'll only be for a few days.
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Ha, ha! You'll get used to me - I'm ker-azy, me!"

"I just say it like it is, y'know? No BS, no beating around the bush, no messing around with me. I just cut the crap and speak as I find."

(Either of these are especially bad when spoken by the person taking up residence at the desk/cubicle next to you in the office...)

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1020 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

GG - Indeed.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Youe call is important to us
== No it isn't

Response may be delayed due to unusually heavy call volume.

== Our usual inadequate staffing.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

== The way we train our staff to say "f*** off"

Posts: 2968 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Translations from the dental
Posts: 2968 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"You're not planning to keep this car much longer, are you?" (mechanic, yesterday morning).

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 825 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

"Yes, we'll order a new [household fixture] for you, but it will take a month for it to be shipped." Said by office staff in the apartment complex I've just moved into.

Meaning, we hope you'll forget about it meanwhile.

Actually, I can pop round to the local appliance store and pick one up this afternoon.

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Said to me by my 10 year-old daughter (who's not had much practice at baking) when I was upstairs doing work and she was downstairs with her friends:

"Dad, we've just started doing some baking..."

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1020 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Surely, even worse would be 'Dad, we've just finished some baking.'

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, if you didn't already know it (by the clouds of smoke in the air) it would be GOOD news.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19891 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Fair comment, LC!

IJ

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Closed Meeting
Posts: 2568 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

The following note appeared in the staff meeting minutes from our public library this week:

"It was suggested that if the robots are bothering people that they could be moved to another area in the library."

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this your writing? [Ultra confused]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5214 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016