homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Dining Out Disasters

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Dining Out Disasters
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night Mr Image and I were out for a romantic evening. All was well. It was a nice restaurant, we were enjoying a good bottle of wine, fresh salad with interesting bits, lovely warm bread. Then our main course arrived. "Fresh ground pepper?" the sweet young waiter asked.
"Yes please," Mr Image replied. Then in what seemed like slow motion, somehow the waiter extended the large pepper mill toward Mr Image's plate hitting his wine glass which exploded into what seemed a million pieces throwing glass into both of our plates of food and spilling wine all over the table and down on the floor. I felt so sorry for the poor waiter. We kept saying ,'it is alright no one is bleeding." We moved tables, were given new plates of food and received a new bottle of wine and dessert on the house. I am sure this will go down as a meal to remember and will fade into family lore. By the end of the evening the poor waiter now seemed like an old friend, and no doubt will have his own story to tell. What dining disasters have you experienced?

--------------------
Notice to police, Should my body ever be found on a jogging trail, know that I was murdered elsewhere and my body dumped there."

Posts: 2552 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lived in Brooklyn, I used to dine often at a certain neighborhood Italian restaurant. The owner was the son of a renowned family of restaurateurs (with Mafia connections, I understand, but that's another story). I was always greeted warmly and treated cordially both by the owner and the wait staff. I always tipped well.

One night they had a special of pepper and garlic encrusted filet mignon. I ordered it; it was delicious and I told them so.

On another visit I noticed they had the same special. I ordered it again. It was the most grisly cut of meat I had ever eaten. Again, I told them so.

"Keep your voice down!" the owner said to me.

I sent it back and ordered a plate of spaghetti instead. The waiter looked very apologetic and even somewhat embarrassed.

I never set foot in the place again.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10056 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were a couple of weeks from going away on our first overseas holiday as a family. I was 7 years old at the time. In order to prepare us for a fortnight in Crete, my Dad found a local Greek restaurant and booked us in for a Saturday night.

On the table next to us, was a Hen Do. They were a bit raucous, as I recall, more than a quarter of a century later. But what really stuck in my memory was when the stripper turned up.

Call me a conservative fuddy-duddy, but I do think there are some sights a 7 year old ought to be spared from. I still wonder whether it was the oily body and squeals of delight that really put me off taramasalata, or whether I just don't like the taste. Either way, it's an association that is likely to stay with me forever.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3562 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a disaster but ... When our son was about 11 we went to a local Chinese restaurant. We were offered chopsticks; I declined, but my wife accepted and took a set for our son. However he couldn't manage them.

A little later on, he somehow contrived to fall off his chair (I don't remember why). When he picked himself up from the floor he found himself totally undamaged, but now able to eat with chopsticks!

Posts: 8778 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We planned a very genteel hen night with our ladylike friend. We did have a few silly presents but a feather fan was about as kinky as it got.. We were looking forward to dancing on the tables as is tradition in that restaurant.

This was in the late 90s and the film The Full Monty had just come out. At the next table a group of lads were drinking the good health of their departing friend (he was off to Canada). After they got a bit fu' they joined us dancing on the tables.

Then the juke box played, "You Can Keep Your Hat On." The lads did what we had not planned.

There is one particular photo of the blushing bride which makes things look a lot more intimate than they really were. I understand that her husband was horrified.

Cattyish, quite enjoyed the nonsense really.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1785 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something to boast of to her grandchildren, perhaps?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9073 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine told me a story. In high school he was working in the restaurant of a yacht club. He and a green horn colleague were assigned to serve a large group who were celebrating some event (mostly family, with pater familias, as a member of the club). They had a lavish meal, bottles of wine. The father ordered a bottle of vintage port at the end. To make sure that the member got full value, the green horn upended the last of the port into pater's glass, sending what was essentially a dusty cruddy cloud into a glass of previously fine port. Pater was visibly horrified. Cheers.
Posts: 445 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
wild haggis
Apprentice
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A number of years ago, spending the summer working at a conference centre, I was clearing tables after morning tea, and dropped a whole tray-load of china cups and saucers ...............right in front of the manger!

I stood rooted to the spot, horrified. He looked at me with a frown. Oh,no! Now I would get the sack.

Then he lifted a piece of broken china and smiling opened my hand.

"Take this home and put it in a box as a memento. Don't worry it happens to everyone at least once. You've lasted this long without dropping anything, so well done."

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 42 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016