homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Roll on Christmas

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Roll on Christmas
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every time I click to change the page on SoF, the message 'Roll on Christmas' appears top right. And then quickly disappears again. What is the meaning of this subliminal message?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34521 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When graphics or photos are included on a web page, the code specifies a title that should display instead of the graphic, just in case the PC displaying the page is incapable of displaying graphics.

The "Gadgets for God" graphic at the top of the Ship thread page used to be a graphic for "Roll On Christmas." When the page was revised to show the Gadgets for God graphic instead of Roll On Christmas, whoever coded the page forgot to change the title.

So when the page is displayed, Gadgets for God is what you see, but Roll On Christmas is the title that briefly flashes while your PC is collecting its wits in order to display the graphic.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10055 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Amanda. Perhaps I should have asked this in the Styx really, but wondered whether someone was having a bit of fun!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thought this thread would be about theme-scented deodorant.
Pine, eggnog, fruitcake...

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16055 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
....Charlie Brown, fudge, "Miracle On 34th St.", "A Christmas Carol", cinnamon...

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17244 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something French from A Christmas Story?
Fragilé

--------------------

Posts: 16055 | From: out of the corner of your eye | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please, God, not Benjamin Britten's cantata about St Nicholas again...
Posts: 3706 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Better than Roll On Deodorant I suppose. Although there is always someone who decides that makes a good Christmas present...

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
... What is the meaning of this subliminal message?

Time to put the sprouts on? [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 18982 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly it is because I know Woody Guthrie's birthday is tomorrow, but every time I see the thread title I assume it is a sequel to Roll On Columbia. After all, those green Douglas firs have to be used for something!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2547 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Piglet--

...as long as you keep the Brussel sprouts on your side of the border, please! [Smile] Generally, we're not all that fond of them here.

But pumpkin pie is good!
[Yipee]

And *alfalfa* sprouts are good--maybe on a sandwich of leftover turkey, ham, tofu.

[ 13. July 2017, 21:06: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"

Posts: 17244 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I **love** Brussels sprouts! [Razz]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So do I. The trend here is to roast them in a cast-iron pan; the dish is sufficiently popular that there are restaurants who have a person whose sole duty it is to prep sprouts for roasting. All day, every day.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer

Posts: 4908 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Amanda --

...as long as you keep the Brussel sprouts on your side of the Valley, please! [Smile]

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9109 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not the Sprouts. But the smell.

(Actually that's unfair, as we love sprouts and even eat them at ordinary meals. So does our son, which means we have clearly Failed as Parents).

Posts: 8759 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Not the Sprouts. But the smell.

(Actually that's unfair, as we love sprouts and even eat them at ordinary meals. So does our son, which means we have clearly Failed as Parents).

It's genetic. Science says so.
Cattyish, contemplating fish.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1782 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brussel sprouts are the only thing that made me vomit while I was pregnant. They are [Projectile]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11554 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

On that colorful note, and just to see how far away we can wander from the OP, let's consider some other vegetables that are truly sickening, like olives.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Olives are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Green are best, but I also like black ones and kalamatas.
[Razz]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Yeah, like the fruit that grew on a certain tree in the Garden of Eden.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

If the snake had offered Eve a brussels sprout, just think of all the trouble it would have saved mankind. Eve would have told the snake where to shove it.

But you're right, the tempting fruit was more likely an olive (much more apt to grow in that area), and Eve couldn't resist.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
If the snake had offered Eve a brussels sprout, just think of all the trouble it would have saved mankind. Eve would have told the snake where to shove it.

But you're right, the tempting fruit was more likely an olive (much more apt to grow in that area), and Eve couldn't resist.

Quotesfile!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19734 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

Quotesfile!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19734 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

God, Jewish mother that he is, would never have forbidden Adam and Eve to eat Brussels sprouts.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Why didn't God just spread out a buffet of bagels, bialys, toppings, lox, etc., to distract Eve and Adam from the apple?

And if apple is bad, does that mean God has a Windows PC?

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Why didn't God just spread out a buffet of bagels, bialys, toppings, lox, etc., to distract Eve and Adam from the apple?

He did. But she just had to have the treif.

quote:
And if apple is bad, does that mean God has a Windows PC?
Linux, most likely.

[ 18. July 2017, 12:18: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------

wild haggis
Apprentice
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brussells sprouts: most folk overcook them. That's why they are horrible.
Lightly cook and toss in a wee bit of butter and crushed almonds. Yummy.

Apple in Eden. Don't think so. Bible just says fruit. Don't know where the apple comes from - must be English. Was probably one of these hard green things.

Roll on Christmas so I can cook my Portugese Christmas Eve dinner and then have roast vension for Christmas dinner - with proper N Uist Scttish smoked salmon as starters.

Ah, well just have to be patient.

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 35 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:And if apple is bad, does that mean God has a Windows PC?
Linux, most likely.
A relatively solid undercarriage but:
  • Needs to have an interface to be usable.
  • Those interfaces are not universal
  • Anyone can add their own code and that code can be exclusionary
  • Difficulty with software integration
Spot on, ABR

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

None of which is a problem for God. He's not almighty and omniscient for nothing, you know.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016