homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » The Earth - flatness persistence (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Earth - flatness persistence
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most convincing evidence I have encountered to indicate the world has an edge is in a movie called "The Gods Must Be Crazy". In it, a Kalahari bushman takes on the task to traveling to the edge of the world and throwing an item (a Coke bottle) off of it, to return it to the crazy gods. In the end, he does appear to succeed.
Posts: 1449 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was a really good film, and yes, to them, the world was flat, because it was also limited. TO them (IIRC) the world did have an edge.

--------------------
Blog
My books for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18309 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any lingering doubts I might have had about whether the world is round were dispelled by Sellar and Yeatman in And Now All This where, in the Geography section, they point out that if you look 360 degrees through a telescope, you see the back of your head.

Sounded pretty damn irrefutable to me, and was confirmed by Dante's cosmography in the Divine Comedy.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The latest constituency to ridicule flat earthers? Creationists.
quote:
"Surprisingly enough, these arguments that Flat Earthers are using, supposedly from the Bible to support Flat Earth, are ones that were put forth from the skeptics and the atheists in the 19th century, trying to bring disrepute upon the scripture, showing it’s not authoritative."

--------------------
One has to take part. Scary as it is. - Martin60
Jerusalem is a city without walls

Posts: 16613 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is something I would not have looked for!

[ 18. July 2017, 07:25: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At High School we had a teacher who set up a Flat Earth Society "Of course the earth is flat- Columbus did it with Mirrors" was their slogan.

No one took it seriously - least of all the founder. I think they spent their time telling jokes, but he went on to become the Principal so it can't have been a disasterous career move.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9785 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kaplan--

quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
...they point out that if you look 360 degrees through a telescope, you see the back of your head.

Um, huh?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17246 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Kaplan--

quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
...they point out that if you look 360 degrees through a telescope, you see the back of your head.

Um, huh?
Listen, Sellar and Yeatman were polymaths - Renaissance men, if you like - who had already displayed their history credentials in 1066 And All That, so I have absolute trust in their science as well.

You smartarse flat-earthers are all the same.

If you are that sceptical about their claim, get a telescope, bare the back of your head, and test it empirically.

I predict that you'll finish up with your humble pie between your legs.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're forgetting one of the most important flat worlds of all ....

“But look here,” said Eustace, “this is all rot. The world’s round— I mean, round like a ball, not like a table.” “Our world is,” said Edmund. “But is this?”

“Do you mean to say,” asked Caspian, “that you three come from a round world (round like a ball) and you’ve never told me! It’s really too bad of you. Because we have fairy-tales in which there are round worlds and I always loved them. I never believed there were any real ones. But I’ve always wished there were and I’ve always longed to live in one. Oh, I’d give anything— I wonder why you can get into our world and we never get into yours? If only I had the chance! It must be exciting to live on a thing like a ball. Have you ever been to the parts where people walk about upside down?"

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3075 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016