homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Good Books About Policing in the USA

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Good Books About Policing in the USA
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a NYT Book review of three new books on Policing in the USA.

The books are:

1. Called to Rise by David O. Brown with Michelle Burford;

2. Policing the Black Man by Angela Davis (ed.); and

3. Chokehold by Paul Butler.

I am probably going to buy one of these, but I wonder if any shipmates have read any books on the topic that I could add to the mix.

I think this is the right spot to put this question. I vacillated between here, purg, and adding it to the hell post on the topic...

--------------------
The opinions expressed above are transitory emotional responses and do not necessarily reflect the considered views of the author.

Posts: 763 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sorry, an addition because I'll be at work for the next 20hrs or so: I have a positive attitude to the police. I have to walk the line between getting pissed off at 'unfair' attacks on the cops and falling into the trap of liking an argument because it reinforces my prejudices.

So what's a good book for a person like me to read so I can learn something and not either switch off or join the cheersquad.

--------------------
The opinions expressed above are transitory emotional responses and do not necessarily reflect the considered views of the author.

Posts: 763 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For book reviews in quantity I'd go to Goodreads. I haven't read any of them myself.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5060 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016