homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Recommendations for London churches to visit, please!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Recommendations for London churches to visit, please!
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find myself with a whole day out in London this Sunday [Yipee] without children. Joy untold, verily.

Something I've always wanted to do is wander round some churches of interest - historical, places of particular beauty, or churches that are interesting for whatever peculiar reason. I have no idea where to start and would welcome recommendations.

I've put this here rather than in Ecclesiantics as I'm not particularly after a service, though I hope to stay for one of those too!

All suggestions would be very welcome. Many thanks in advance. [Smile]

Posts: 732 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you looked at Simon Jenkins' England's Thousand Best Churches? He's an atheist so his interest is largely aesthetic with some historical interest. Anyway he rates the following as among the hundred best:
St Mary Woolnoth (Hawksmoor)
St Stephen Walbrook (Wren)
Christchurch, Spitalfields (Hawksmoor)
St Mary-le-Strand (Hawksmoor)
All Saints Margaret Street (Victorian Gothic)
St Augustine Kilburn (also Victorian Gothic)
Holy Trinity, Sloane Street (Victorian Arts and Crafts movement)
They're all roughly central London if you include Kensington and Chelsea and stretch a bit for Kilburn.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10205 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are going to Smithfield, St Bartholomew the Great is worth seeing too as it has the most amazing sculptures. I have only been there for a concert, so don't know anything about the services.

The services at All Saint's Margaret Street, also known as St Spike's, are high church CofE using Common Worship and New English Hymnal, and much loved by those who attend. It's about the only church I can get my daughter to since she's chosen to attend her local RC church (a couple of cities ago).

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13402 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost any of the Wren churches are worth a visit, but check on line first to see if they are open. There are one or two websites that give details of the location of them all.

And I would second the recommendation of St Augustine Kilburn, it is spectacular.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3081 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
If you are going to Smithfield, St Bartholomew the Great is worth seeing too as it has the most amazing sculptures. I have only been there for a concert, so don't know anything about the services.

The services at All Saint's Margaret Street, also known as St Spike's, are high church CofE using Common Worship and New English Hymnal, and much loved by those who attend. It's about the only church I can get my daughter to since she's chosen to attend her local RC church (a couple of cities ago).

Yes, seconded - it's brilliant!

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 415 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great St Bart's comes with a warning: it's one of the only non-cathedral churches that charges an admission fee if you're not coming for a service.

I took a Methodist friend to Brompton Oratory the other day. It's next door to the V&A.

If you fancy something a little more off the beaten track and unusual, then maybe St Laurence Catford or the Union Chapel in Islington might pique your interest.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3592 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brompton Oratory full Latin Mass is a pretty amazing experience, and you can attend both Brompton Oratory and HTB back to back if you so wish. If you're looking at architecture, HTB is a sad experience.

I have only attended concerts at the Union Chapel in Islington, but that is another amazing building. St John's, Bethnal Green, which also holds concerts (yes, have also seen various people perform there, but also worked near there for a while so went in to see the stations of the cross), has modern stations of the cross that are stunning.

St Martin's in the Field is interesting as a Georgian Church with plain glass windows and chandeliers. The crypt is a good place to eat.

Way out, but amazing is St Lawrence at Canon's Park/Little Stanmore. I haven't attended a service there but was there for a concert of Handel's music on the Grinling Gibbons organ and other instruments played by the Academy of Ancient Music.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13402 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you so much everybody. Dafyd, I don't have Simon Jenkins' book, I'll see if I can get it by Sunday - it looks a handy thing to have on the bookshelf!

I'm starting at ExCel, where I'm dropping the teenager, so fairly far out to begin with, but I'm happy to travel. Luckily I have a great love of the underground... [Big Grin]

Posts: 732 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As mentioned, any Wren church is worth a 'boo. I have a fondness for St James Piccadilly . The interior is lovely, airy, but the masterpiece is the limewood panel by Grinling Gibbons, with its pelican. It is a baroque riot of fruit, garlands, etc. The baptismal font is also attributed to Gibbons, and is also a very fine piece, with Adam and Eve in supporting roles. William Blake was baptised there, and Robert Graves was married there. There are probably other luminary connections of which I'm unaware.
Posts: 490 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
As mentioned, any Wren church is worth a 'boo. I have a fondness for St James Piccadilly . The interior is lovely, airy, but the masterpiece is the limewood panel by Grinling Gibbons, with its pelican. It is a baroque riot of fruit, garlands, etc. The baptismal font is also attributed to Gibbons, and is also a very fine piece, with Adam and Eve in supporting roles. William Blake was baptised there, and Robert Graves was married there. There are probably other luminary connections of which I'm unaware.

I believe Dorothy Sayers was a churchwarden there for several years.

John

Posts: 5895 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Sayers was churchwarden at St. Anne's, Soho, much rebuilt in recent years, and, by the look of its website, worth visiting if you prefer a more modest enterprise.

http://stannes-soho.org.uk/

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8253 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016