homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Non-existent greetings cards.

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Non-existent greetings cards.
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A shopping trip to the sprawling metropolis of Inverurie this afternoon was unexpectedly difficult due to the lack of any suitable anniversary cards. Where is the nerdy sci-fi image of a fictional super villain accompanied by the caption, "You do not know the power of the dark side of marriage." when I need it?

Not only were there no nerdy anniversary cards, there were practically none I would consider suitable for a woman (such as myself) to give a blokey bloke (such as Mr C). Is it just me, or do other people suffer the same agonies?

Cattyish, considering branching out into nerdy card making.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1788 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I make almost all my own cards and have done for 30 years...find a nice illustration from a glossy magazine or copy a suitable pic from Google images, glue onto card, fold, write the words inside ... Bob's your Uncle (or transgender Aunt)

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 592 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cattyish, I agree with you! Anniversary cards tend to be either sickly sweet - bleurgh - or funny but with sexual innuendo, and not quite the sort of thing you want to display to visitors!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3262 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep. There are others they don't make, such as "happy Father's Day" to someone who is perhaps not the "World's Best Dad" and similar.

Then, too, Mr. Lamb favors serious, heart-felt, high-sugar frills-and-chills cards for MEN, not olive drab photos of fishing poles for guys who never go near the water. So every Father's Day or anniversary, etc. I have the darndest time finding something that makes him feel valued (rather than blown off with a two-bit piece of crap).

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19956 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always had trouble getting my mother particularly cards. It's hard finding ones that aren't sappy sweet. I needed something that got across the idea that I know she did the best she could, but she was by no means the perfect mother.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11621 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making cards these days of meme-ification is easy. If you have your sentiment, find an image to go with it (the number of cat photos on line is essentially as infinite as the mind of God). Or if you have an image, cook up the wordage. Card stock that will go through your printer is available, cheap, at the office supply store.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5356 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to buy blank-inside cards for those people (oops, hope they don't read this and recognize themselves). I just can't take lying, even at third hand through a sappy card.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19956 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was very surprised to receive a So sorry your cat died card, when my kitty of 14 summers passed away. On the other hand I live near a very small farming town and I swear you can not find a card at the local general store that does not have a cow, horse or windmill on it.
Posts: 2588 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I post my brother who has Parkinson's a card every week. A couple of years ago I bought him a one of those calendars that has a small pictures of each of the big pictures. He used the calendar, then I took it back off him and I stick the small pictures on some colourful card stock, all it takes. If I'm feeling really creative I will make the matching envelope out of the large picture.

I used to ask people at church between Christmas and New Year if they would give me suitable used calendars and I was given heaps.

I'm also considering scanning some of the family photos onto cards because then I can refer to the photo in what I write in the card. Hopefully he will find it helpful, and from my point of view it will give me something to write about. It's difficult to find something new to write about each week when writing to someone with limited interests in common.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9993 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I send Jacqui Lawson e-cards, with music and moving pictures. They are lots of fun, and there are other sites with varied offerings. Of course you can't put them on the mantelpiece.
Well, I know they're not right for all people.
I love the card my son bought for Mothers' Day, forgot to give it to me, so he gave me for my birthday. It says 'MUM you're AWESOME – Way cooler than all the other mums'
I love Huia's idea.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2599 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could always try Inspirobot for, um, different inspirational phrases and accompanying pictures - sort of the Uncanny Valley of Argus posters (for those old enough to remember the latter).

[ 02. August 2017, 07:02: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
One has to take part. Scary as it is. - Martin60
Jerusalem is a city without walls

Posts: 16985 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of our congregation makes beautiful cards and sells them for church funds. She has all sorts, I think all blank inside but with or without a greeting on the front.
My late husband's friend was for a while spending so much time and effort in working on the sale of Grandad's collection that I wanted something special for his wife, and she made me one to order, similar to one of hers but with my choice of colours.
I gave it to the lady with a big bouquet and she was very happy at the thought.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2599 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For cards to send to fellow Christians, I like 'Really Wooly". Here are some of their birthday cards.

They are light-hearted with a serious underpinning.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20128 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a big fan of Emily McDowell's Empathy Cards. Having only seen them online, I was pleased to find them in a shop when I was travelling this summer, and picked up two -- one for a friend with cancer, and one just in case another friend gets cancer.

Now if only I could find where I put them ...

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7339 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to make cards. My stepmother thought more of a shop bought card with a "lovely verse" than of something I'd spent hours on.
In the end, I'd keep my creations for people who would appreciate them [Mad]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3262 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just reading about a local company called Banter Cards - look them up if you dare.

But it is.. well.. interesting to see how they've made pretty cards and other things with offensive slogans.

--------------------
overheard on a Welsh bus-stop: Jesus don't care about you, he's only interested in your soul

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ideas for images here and here . OK, you'll be breaking copyright, but your recipient might like your card so much they ask for a copy of the artwork in a book, next birthday.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a huge fan of these somewhat pragmatic illness cards.

They are not all polite, but incredibly heartfelt.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently saw an ad, I think on facebook, for a company that does cards that are, on the surface, totally normal. Each card has a somewhat bland, quite properly polite written message, and artwork of beautiful flowers. However, if you know the old Victorian "language of flowers", the flowers in each picture have a distinctly hostile meaning. For the ultimate passive aggression.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11621 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

I googled "greeting cards language of flowers hostile" and found this one they made for Mothers Day.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go to Shopperfrolics (on t'internet): they stock cards by various brilliant cartoonists and illustrators. I especially like Jacky Fleming...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4603 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
the number of cat photos on line is essentially as infinite as the mind of God

Quotes file!
Posts: 4341 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a friend who had a potentially very nasty accident, when he got electrocuted by a faulty freezer. He went to the hospital where they monitored his heart for a bit, then discharged him as fit and well, though with instructions to take it easy for a few days.

I heard about it a few days after the event and wanted to send a card. "Get Well Soon" didn't seem to cover it, so I bought a generic one and wrote my own message. So if anyone is feeling entrepreneurial, I suggest a range of "Glad You Didn't Die" cards.

Friend is fine, btw. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2369 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of these cards are just wonderful!

[Overused]

As someone living with an invisible, but chronic, and potentially life-threatening condition (a form of Addison's disease), the pragmatic illness cards strike just the right note. Full marks to those who create them, and to those who use them.

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8694 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jackie Lawson cards are fab - try them. Cheap too and she does brilliant Advent calendars that move, have games etc. Great fun for a rainy Dec morning - cheers you up.

There are loads of card shops in cities and big towns, so should be no excuse. Paperchase sometimes has good ones. But I agree smaller places don't have the choice.

Think I've got ADHD because I can't sit and do nothing when telly is on so, I cross stitch or draw cards. I can do specific ones for people or occassions. More personal. Cross stu=itch is easy - our son did quite a bit when he was in his early teens. Seems to have forgotten now he's grown up.

Then again you can buy blank ones from many different charity websites. I sometimes use UNICEF - well they have lovely blank ones at the moment by Scottish artists!!!!!

Be creative. Look on line, look for cartoons you can cut out and keep and then use. My Irish uncle, many, many years ago used to use the pictures in his seed catalogues to make cards with silly little rhymes, he made up attached. They were great - wish I had kept them!

Can't stand slushy, cringe-worthy patronising cards. As to some of these Christian ones with Bible verses.................yuck, yuck, triple yuck!!

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 85 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it would be about greeting cards for exotic occasions for which there are no cards. How about:

"Happy anniversary of your appendectomy"

"Congratulations on your first parking ticket"

"Have a joyous unbirthday" (useful 364 days of the year)

Posts: 1475 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
I am a huge fan of these somewhat pragmatic illness cards.

They are not all polite, but incredibly heartfelt.

Yes, that's the same designer as the "Empathy Cards" I mentioned above ... she is brilliant.

For example, here's one she has for Mother's Day -- not to be given to your mother, but to someone who finds Mother's Day difficult because their mother was absent or otherwise not a positive force in their life.

[ 12. August 2017, 10:52: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7339 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trudy thanks, those cards are brilliant.

Since I posted about the cards from calendars, and inspired by Brenda's post about pictures for cards being everywhere, I have bought a book on cars from a second hand bookshop and am photocopying some of the photos and text for cards for my brother with Parkinsons.

I am also going to get the local computer fix-it person to sort out my printer to give me more scope in using fancy fonts for messages.

Thanks for the inspiration everyone.

Huia

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you need to fix the printer or your word processing software to increase the fonts you can use?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13479 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Just the printer I think CK. I've barely scratched the surface of the fonts I have. I'm waiting until I am connected with my new fibre provider, then getting a tech person I've had before to sort out a number of issues I've been avoiding.

Huia

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016