homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Spider on the Cathedral

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Spider on the Cathedral
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't believe me, look at the picture. Not for arachnophobes!

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5833 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it does all look a bit bizarre, but ISTM that 'Disgusted of Ottawa' needs to recall just who it is Who created spiders......and what useful beasties they are.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 9449 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonder what folks would think of a chapel that just looks like a spider?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17864 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Don't believe me, look at the picture. Not for arachnophobes!

We shall send some blue tongue lizards. They love spiders, and help keep our funnel web spider population down.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6774 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have to admit it's a creative tool for evangelism. You want to get closer just to see what the heck is going on.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] Still, they probably should have known better. There are so many people who have totally irrational responses to spiders, I'm not surprised to see the words "demonic" and "blasphemous" popping out.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19995 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have, since childhood, been fascinated by spiders. There is nothing inherently "demonic" about them; that phrasing is merely evidence of human arachnophobia.

Years ago, I stayed in a cabin in which I was able to identify nine different varieties of arachnids... some web-catchers, some hunters out of the cracks. Nature, and God, in all the the wonders...

Posts: 675 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Well, it does all look a bit bizarre, but ISTM that 'Disgusted of Ottawa' needs to recall just who it is Who created spiders......

Indeed.

That said (or that sung), it is hard for me to believe they didn't see the reaction coming.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2557 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
marsupial.
Shipmate
# 12458

- Posted      Profile for marsupial.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm also a bit surprised, having grown up in Ottawa. Apparently they were told it went just fine in other cities. I'm curious where...
Posts: 648 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole spider vs dragon was one of the most successful public events in Ottawa in a long time.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I would have gone to see it, myself. Clearly it is art.
There is a tradition of large animals in the US but they are usually advertisements. A seafood chain moved into a local office building near here, and celebrated the opening of the restaurant with a gigantic inflatable crab. This seems (from the photo) to be about the same size as the spider. They moored the crab to the side of the office building, and it was visible from the interstate. One must hope that the number of people frightened away were balanced by those who were fascinated and came closer. (It was red and white, which shows you it was a =cooked= crab.)

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in the Land of Song we've had some rather splendid dragons. Mind you, I haven't seen the babies - only mum, dad and the eggs!
Posts: 9477 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have been to Nantes and loved it.

Maybe people would have liked the elephant better, he is fun to ride.

Posts: 5349 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
We have been to Nantes and loved it.

Maybe people would have liked the elephant better, he is fun to ride.

I read the last line as elephant butter.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 17115 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No butter, but the giant mechanical elephant can lumber along and carry 50 passengers while squirting jets of water through its trunk.

It is great fun but people on the ground need to keep well clear of the enormous mechanical feet.

Book in advance if you are in the area.

Posts: 5349 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016