homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » The Ship's circles

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Ship's circles
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Inspired by this:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Only on the ship would people want boards for different levels of personal attack.

I was thinking of Dante's circles of Hell. So here in Heaven, as a bit of fun, what might the 9 circles of the Ship hell might be?

I'd posit the 9th as being fascism. Being a bit of a prick might be 2 or 3.

Opting for sour grapes over communion wine might be 5 (plus or minus 1).

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3645 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great idea. I like it but would imagine it'd be Hellish to administrate and Host ...

How do we assess what grade of dick-head an offender happens to be?

It's a bit of fun, as my compatriot Rob Brydon would say. But fiendishly difficult to evaluate.

FWIW, my uttermost inner circle of Hell would be reserved for:

- Those who don't realise that they are applying a hermeneutic when they read scripture and insist that they're going by 'the plain meaning of the text.'

- Anyone who makes assumptions about anyone else's traditions / Tradition without doing their homework (and this applies in all directions).

There would be others ... but that'll do for now.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15404 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The outermost level is for those who show up at every Hell call in order to point out that the topic is Heckish. (Seriously, why not just have an extra smiley with a sign that says "bored now").

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19958 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd have thought the outer-most (is that the least hellish level? I've never really understood Dante, but I thought it got worse as you go in..) would be sniping over punctuation, grammar, Martin's posts or whether-someone-needs-to-learn-how-to-use-google.

--------------------
overheard on a Welsh bus-stop: Jesus don't care about you, he's only interested in your soul

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry but the deepest level would for your/you're and other abominations.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, the deepest level is for rogue apostrophe's.

And romanlions post's.

IJ

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8716 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
I'm sorry but the deepest level would for your/you're and other abominations.

Yes, and the feeling you get when you realise a typo or simple grammatical error has evading even the most careful of previewing the post [Hot and Hormonal]
[brick wall]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9994 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
uttermost inner circle

How about a special circle for those who write oxymoronically?
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moronically will do.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Running away now.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19958 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There must be a circle for those who leave a discussion (and say so) over and over again.

Just leave - don't tell us!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12547 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is getting a bit like subtweeting - alluding to something someone has done on another board without actually naming them.

Maybe that should be a circle. Where we all talk generally about things that annoy us without specifically naming names.

--------------------
overheard on a Welsh bus-stop: Jesus don't care about you, he's only interested in your soul

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can't handle the apostrophe! Son, we live in a world that has grammar. And that grammar has to be guarded by White with 'The elements of style'. Who's gonna do it? You? You, careless poster? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the oxford comma and you curse the contraction. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that pedantry, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that paragraph. You need me on that paragraph. We use words like semicolon, hyphen, capitalisation...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and reads under the blanket of the very English I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a style book and scan a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Great idea. I like it but would imagine it'd be Hellish to administrate and Host ...

How do we assess what grade of dick-head an offender happens to be?

It's a bit of fun, as my compatriot Rob Brydon would say. But fiendishly difficult to evaluate.

But that could itself generate it's own set of circles:

• being arbitrary and capricious in consigning an offender to a particular circle: 3

• being obviously hypocritical/ self-interested in consignment: 7

• tediously whining over shades of meaning to shift the needle a tiny percentage point in the circle one is consigned to: 9.874

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 10910 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
But that could itself generate it's own set of circles

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgh!!!
Posts: 112 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
You can't handle the apostrophe! Son, we live in a world that has grammar. And that grammar has to be guarded by White with 'The elements of style'. Who's gonna do it? You? You, careless poster? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the oxford comma and you curse the contraction. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that pedantry, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that paragraph. You need me on that paragraph. We use words like semicolon, hyphen, capitalisation...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and reads under the blanket of the very English I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a style book and scan a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

[Overused]

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1635 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016