homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Trinitarian Theology for Creative People

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Trinitarian Theology for Creative People
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I searched in vain for an existing topic to post this in, but in the end decided to start a new one. Because this is just great.
Using a famous piece of art to demonstrate the Persons of the Holy Trinity.
So, oh you people with letters after your name -- how solid is this? Do we have here an entry point into a greater understanding of the relationship of the Father with the Son? Does it comport with Orthodox theology?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5829 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, that's a bit of a stretch, not least because, taking the parallel to its logical conclusion, we would have to conclude that the Spirit, at least, is created by the Father.

I think it would work better as a metaphor for "God creating man in his own image", rather than for the Trinity.

Posts: 6446 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two other thoughts.

1. In this representation, the Father is a living, three-dimensional sentient being; the Son and the Spirit are only two-dimensional images.

2. Does God really smoke a pipe? Some theologians might think so.

[ 04. August 2017, 15:04: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9477 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only true representation of Trinity in artwork is by Rublev!

http://www.wellsprings.org.uk/rublevs_icon/rublev.htm

All other attempts IS OUTRAGE!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 9447 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, now ....
Posts: 9477 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do have letters after my name. I think that if this image helps you to understand the trinity - the three presentations of the one, the triple nature of the divinity - then it is fine.

The main thing is to remember that any image or description is limited, and only a part of the story. Along with all the other stories. Anyone who thinks this - or any other image - is the whole story is misled. If you can use an image to stretch and further your understanding then do so.

Personally, it doesn't do anything much for me. It shows more the nature of drawing, of how a representation is not the real thing, however good.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18684 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the Bing Crosby comment as I was wracking my memory about which famous person I was reminded of.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10166 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a visiting preacher the other week who used a fidget spinner to illustrate the Trinity - when its used, the three parts are seen as one.....

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4399 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fidget Spinner? Is yet again Outrage!

Seriously, the whole concept of the Trinity is so mind-bending (IMHO) that anything which helps to explain it - in however small or even trivial a way - deserves attention.

I rather concur with Stetson's remarks about the picture linked to in Brenda's OP, though.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 9447 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
We had a visiting preacher the other week who used a fidget spinner to illustrate the Trinity - when its used, the three parts are seen as one.....

Now that's a new one on me! And it's dynamic, rather than static.

[ 05. August 2017, 13:13: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

wabale
Shipmate
# 18715

- Posted      Profile for wabale   Author's homepage   Email wabale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife’s Christian Studies course recently featured a session discussing an Orthodox picture depicting the Trinity. The group was asked to identify the three persons of the Trinity. As the artist’s intention was being revealed my missus offered an alternative explanation, based on the hands of the three figures - namely Stone, Scissors and Paper!
Posts: 58 | From: Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2017  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In that image, the Son and Spirit both relate to the Father, rather than each other.

So I take it the basis of the Trinitarian theology here is Eastern - the Spirit is proceeding solely from the Father not the Father and the Son.

We ought to have a board to discuss theology and one to discuss prayer in addition to the boards about scripture and liturgy.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3180 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the question that taxed me when I was looking for the right place to start this thread. I suggest however that, in the cause of not multiplying entities, you just add 'theology' to the guidelines of one of the other boards. Ecclesiantics or Kerygmania, perhaps.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Ah, that's a bit of a stretch, not least because, taking the parallel to its logical conclusion, we would have to conclude that the Spirit, at least, is created by the Father.

I think it would work better as a metaphor for "God creating man in his own image", rather than for the Trinity.

Yes.

As noted, all explanations of the Trinity rely on metaphor, and all metaphors fall short, so I tend to be pretty generous with any attempt as long as we acknowledge that. But this one doesn't seem especially helpful, since the Son and the Spirit only "look like" the Father, and in no way are formed of the "same (or even similar) substance".

I actually like the fidget spinner analogy better, although it's apt to be quickly dated.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11131 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about a lava lamp. One blob to begin with, but occasionally another blob breaks away, does a perambulation, and then comes back to the main blob!

I think most illustrations are only glimpses.

The Rubilev icon: what is important is the colour of the robes, in orthodox iconography.

I like the spinner though!

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 123 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
As noted, all explanations of the Trinity rely on metaphor, and all metaphors fall short, so I tend to be pretty generous with any attempt as long as we acknowledge that. But this one doesn't seem especially helpful, since the Son and the Spirit only "look like" the Father, and in no way are formed of the "same (or even similar) substance".

Nor are the Son and Spirit even "living." One is only a reflection, and the other is a static picture.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2557 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhere in here I have to leave a note about Dorothy L. Sayers' The Mind of the Maker, which is precisely about Trinitarian theology in, with, and for creative people. Most of her examples come out of literature and play-writing, and the ones on trinitarian failures ("Scalene Trinities") are a perfect hoot.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19995 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Oooh! That's a book I always send people to, when they're looking for a creative way to analyze and understand -fiction-.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016