homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Goldfish turn to alcohol in winter...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Goldfish turn to alcohol in winter...
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Article here.

The natural world astounds me. What about it astounds you?

I give you a native bird, the lyrebird, a superb mimic. Alarms, chainsaws, camera shutters, other birds... It can do them all.

[ 11. August 2017, 23:32: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7578 | From: Albury, Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even loud logging trucks1

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9519 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And a beautiful one as well. You used be able to see and hear them at Jenolan Caves. We've not been there for 20 years or so, so I can't say if they're still around.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 6774 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I give you a native bird, the lyrebird, a superb mimic. Alarms, chainsaws, camera shutters, other birds... It can do them all.

In the US we have mockingbirds with similar talents.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20260 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my favorite microbeasties is Dictyostellium discoideum.

Per "The Microscopic World Beneath Our Feet" (Science Friday--much-beloved NPR show):

{Both audio and transcript available.}

quote:
BO ADU-OPPONG: Dictyostelium discoideum.

IRA FLATOW: There will be a test at the end of this thing.

[LAUGHTER]

BO ADU-OPPONG: It’s a really cool organism. And this is one of the reasons why I really became a scientist. So I stumbled upon a discussion section in my undergraduate campus, and they were going over life cycles. And I said, whoa, what is this organism. So what happens is they first start out as single cells. So they eukaryotes, and they’re found in the protozoa family.

So what happens is that these single cells eat bacteria. And then when they start to starve, when there’s no more bacteria around, what happens is they send these signals to one another called cyclic AMP. So they say, hey, guys. We’re all hungry here. We should go somewhere else. So they all gather together and they form slugs. So again, they start out as single cells, and then they come together to form this slug.

And then they will travel a little bit, like centimeters, not very far. And then they will form a fruiting body. So what they do is this slug transform into a stalk. And then they have a sorus, which is on the top of the stalk. What’s really cool about this organism is that 80% of the slug of those cells will die in order to form that stalk. And then 20%, so only 20% of them will live on in the sorus.

And so in the sorus, you can find spores that are developed there. And that is essentially the next progeny for the next generation.

And Scientific American has both article and FILM! [Cool]

"Starving to be Social: The Odd Life of Dictyostelium Slime Molds" (Scientific American). "The Microscopic World Beneath Our Feet" (Science Friday--much-beloved NPR show):

[Fixed links. Golden Key, did you intend to post the SciFri link twice?]

[ 14. August 2017, 18:16: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18177 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Naked Mole Rats* just flabber my gast every time. The most disappointing lecture I ever went to was given by someone who talked about working with naked mole rats for five minutes, then showed forty-five minutes of extremely elderly and discoloured videos of rats in mazes. It was like being promised a party and given a deflated party balloon.

AG

*I know, I know, at least it's not the Heil.

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3549 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The more I learn about any aspect of the natural world, the more it astounds me. My words are insufficient ... New words needed
Posts: 545 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Fixed links. Golden Key, did you intend to post the SciFri link twice?]
No. [Hot and Hormonal] Thanks, o wise one. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18177 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Manta rays, giant clams and all the rest of the cast of the books and TV programmes by Hans & Lotte Hass. My brother had a few of these books and I wish I knew where they are now.

A year or two later when I say a sting ray for the first time I was very disappointed - it was barely four feet long! I still find big sea creatures amazing.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24053 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please tell me I'm not the only one to skim read the title as "Goldfish turn alcohol into water" and then come to the preliminary conclusion that goldfish are the Antichrist?
Posts: 3729 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nickel:
The more I learn about any aspect of the natural world, the more it astounds me. My words are insufficient ... New words needed

The first picture in that link shows badgers on the river Otter, so is there a river Badger which has otters?

Enqiring minds want to know.

Actually the more I learn about the natural world the more I realise that even the best sci/fi authors couldn't invent anything half as weird.

huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10169 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016