homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Kids these days just don't understand (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kids these days just don't understand
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Speaking of gears, I drive a car with a manual transmission -- they're few and far between in the U.S.

I have one too. It's a '98 Saturn wagon, and it's body is not metal but some sort of synthetic which doesn't dent or rust. They don't make those any more.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20104 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Speaking of gears, I drive a car with a manual transmission -- they're few and far between in the U.S. I've had young men at car washes baffled by mine.

Me three!
It always tickles me when I take my car to the dealership for regular service, the young men get into my car to take it to the service bay, then get right back out again looking for someone who can drive a stick! I haven't had an automatic since I was in my late twenties! (A very long time ago.)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17707 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard a manual transmission described as a theft deterrent for that very reason!

--------------------
God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean. --Acts 10:28

Posts: 62895 | From: Ecotopia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We also have a stickshift, on our tiny Jeep. Come to think of it, that probably explains why it hasn't been stolen yet, though anybody over the age of three could break into it.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19956 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
Tongue sandwich? Of course. Well, I don't make them, but I order them at deli.

I like tongue.
So do I - had some this afternoon.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 22956 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
We used to have what was essentially very expensive white paint that came in a nail polish bottle, and if you were typing and you typed a wrong letter or number, you'd paint over the wrong one with this white paint, then back up the typewriter one letter and type the letter or number you should have typed. When this was first invented it was a godsend and it made document creation tons easier for secretaries, students, etc.

Then they made little strips to insert between the typeface and the paper so as to tye over the offending letter.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 22956 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Add me to the list of those who drive a stickshift. (Hmmmm.....why is there such a high percentage of us on the Ship? [Paranoid] ) I feel it keeps me closer to the car and aware of when she is feeling ill. I find driving automatic transmissions....unsettling.

I don't think I am cut out for a self-driving car.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2594 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stickshift forever, baby! I've also had the young guys at the service place jump in my car and then jump right out again to go find someone who can drive stick. Always amusing - they look so embarrassed.
Posts: 24352 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Then they made little strips to insert between the typeface and the paper so as to tye over the offending letter.

Then they made the strips into a long ribbon, put it on a spool, and built it right into the typewriter.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We resisted getting an automatic; it seemed like wasting your years of accumulated skill having the car make decisions about which gear to use. Then the pressure got to us as we hit our seventies and we relaxed and learned to enjoy our automatics.
There came the day when we were having something done to the car and needed a rental. The Grandad decided he'd drive so in we got and after two attempts he muttered that he couldn't get it into gear – and I had to remind him there was a thing called a clutch.
Ah, the days when I could impress a student passenger in my Mini by doing a rapid double de-clutch as we headed up a steep hill.
GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2593 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm teaching my kid to drive, and stickshift is definitely on the menu. Poor child. I vividly recall my days as a student driver, particularly the time I was at an intersection with a cop car on one side and the gear shift knob came off in my hand and rolled under my mother's seat. She just laughed and laughed while I panicked and the cop rolled his eyes...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 19956 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

My mom couldn't drive a stick, and had a terrible time when we had to drop my dad off at the fire station (a fire had started downtown while we were coming back from the beach, we went to investigate, and they asked him to suit up and help). We lived on the top of a pretty sizeable hill, and she had a hell of a time getting up it. Dad told her to just put it in second gear and drive all the way in that. It worked but we went slow, got honked at, etc.

I determined then and there to learn to drive a stick when it came time for me to drive. During driver's ed, on the "range" we had a number of older cars, all automatic, plus two new stick cars donated by the local Chevy dealer (it said so on the sides in large letters). My buddy and I always ran to get those cars so we could learn the stick. Never regretted it.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re correcting typos:

--An uncoated aspirin, rubbed over the error, worked in a pinch.

--There were also typing erasers, with an ink eraser at one end and a brush at the other. You'd use the eraser very carefully, so as not to wear a hole in the paper, then brush away the eraser debris.

Re liquid paper:

--College students used it to cover improvised repairs of nail holes in dorm room walls. Lots of colors available, so it could often be matched to the paint.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17553 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gestetner duplicating stencils (with the "o"s and other letters that dropped out) and it's bright pink correcting fluid.

Banda duplicating skins, the copies from which always smelled wonderfully of alcohol.

Posts: 9124 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the days when we hired boats on holiday, we found Tippex very handy for covering up the occasional scratch on the hull.
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My poor kid didn't understand automatic transmissions. (Back to stick shift!) She had only driven my car, and if I would have been smart, I would have let her drive my parents' car before she took driver's ed in high school.

Poor thing pushed in the clutch, but it was the brake. The instructor was not amused. While she sobbed in my arms, I told her that the instructor probably had no idea how to drive a stick, but she did. Made her laugh! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17707 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Forget about folding a map, the necessity of using a map and/or compass when your phone can do it for you. And the city based kids I work with don't ever go places with no mobile coverage, so they see it as pointless.

Analogue clocks is an odd one as dyslexics really struggle (something to do with flipping directions, so find it difficult to know if the hands are pointing to the hour or after the hour) so it seems pointless to keep pushing that one when it isn't necessary to be able to read analogue dials to tell the time.

Interestingly, my dyslexic daughter finds just the opposite. As because of problems with orientation, she can’t tell the difference on a digital timepiece, between 2 and 5 or 6 and 9.
Posts: 1886 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
pulling/pushing the little knob on the TV to turn it on/off

I remember a TV we had which neede to be switched between 405 and 625 lines (BBC1/BBC2). And tuned in with a proper tuning knob, like radios used to have.

And when it broke down, we got a man in to mend it.

And havign to get u from your seat to change the one of only 4 chanels avaialable
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Hand washing, with Lux Flakes, endless rinsing and then putting through the Mangle - what luxury when Twin Tubs were invented!

And Freezers, who could live without them these days? Only people who remember only one channel on the TV, I guess.

Freezers!! we had no fridge. The milk was kept in buckets of water, or with earthenware covers over them
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love reading history threads!

Shame on you Trudy, for interjecting perspective.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 16522 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Popcorn doesn't always come in paper bags that you put in a microwave.

I amazed the kids of a friend who was working on my computer. I took a pan, put some oil in it, added popcorn kernels, heated it, and voila!, there was popcorn. Their eyes got round and they asked "How did you DO that?"

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Posts: 106 | From: Tottering-on-the-Brink | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got some irrational prejudice against microwave popcorn. I've known of its existence for ages, but I still make popcorn in a pan, and that just seems right.

When we first got a microwave (when I moved to the future, see my post above!), it lived in the garage, a separate building across the garden from the house. So it didn't really save much effort, especially if the weather was bad! Meanwhile the stove was convenient and easy.

It also helped that my parents, when I was young, ran a business selling health foods on the markets. They sold dried popcorn kernels, amongst dried beans, nuts, spices, glacé cherries and so forth. So we had access to as much popcorn as we wanted, but it wasn't pre-packed, it came in 10kg sacks.

Posts: 2371 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm the same with all microwave cooking!

I only ever use it for defrosting- newfangled contraption!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12468 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Gestetner duplicating stencils (with the "o"s and other letters that dropped out) and it's bright pink correcting fluid.

Banda duplicating skins, the copies from which always smelled wonderfully of alcohol.

The days before either of these (at work) when absolutely everything had to be handwritten.

Hand written school reports.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12468 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hand written school reports? Yes, mine from pupil days are all here and thankfully those I had to write along with the attendance rolls which were also handwritten are now a thing of the past.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9255 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That there was a time before computers? and television?

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 393 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
School reports, yes. During the brief period when I was teaching they were the bane of our lives. The Head wanted each girl's name included in the comments, and everything absolutely perfect (no Tippex allowed), so if any teacher made a mistake everyone had to write their comments again. There was one girl called Rosemarie, whose class teacher had a terrible time with unobservant staff: she'd get the report nearly completed , and then one teacher would write "Rosemary" and we'd all have to start again.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spelt the word beginning* wrongly one year, and had to re-write a lot of reports.

* I almost misspelt it here too, some people are slow learners [Hot and Hormonal]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 9960 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
School Reports: Yes, I remember.
When I started teaching, for each subject it was a tick for well above average, above average etc and also a tick for effort. Then a space if you wanted to make a short comment. You didn't always. They were in books that had excellent carbon so you didn't need to lean heavily.

Then we went to written reports for each primary subject with a sheet a carbon. Being dyslexic I sat with a dictionary! I hated doing 30+ of these because you also had to lean quite heavily as they changed the publisher of the report pads.

These were in Scotland. I moved to England and what a carry on.

We had a silly directive from a county council that we should not put negative comments. So we sat in the staff room and compiled "positive negative comments" If I remember rightly there was a publishing company who caught on and had a booklet of the same. It became tedious as you couldn't put that Johnny was mucking around in class and not doing his homework. Parents didn't really understand the possetive/negative comments anyway,

Then we had the dreaded Attainment Targets - over 100 for each child in Key Stage 1 to be be written out (not just ticked). I know what I want to do with various Ministers of Education from that time - get them to do that for 30+ children twice a year and see how they feel and then..........don't go there haggis!!! The parents hadn't a clue what the targets were about anyway. All they wanted was to know if their kid was working well and were below average, average, etc and if there were any problems, behavioural or educational.

My last school - an independent one - we did our reports on computer so could cut and paste. What joy. No political correctness either.

But how I long for the Scottish Primary Reports of the 1970's with ticks and space if you to write a comment should you wish. Easy and informative.

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 76 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
JeffTL
Apprentice
# 16722

- Posted      Profile for JeffTL   Email JeffTL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I not infrequently hear "Is that a real fountain pen?" -- usually from people older than myself (I was born at the tail end of the Reagan administration). Many who are confident in identifying them, however, don't know how to use one, and fewer yet know what to make of a Parker 51 or similar with the hooded nib. For those not in the know, that's a fountain pen where only the very end of the point is visible, so unless you look very carefully you may think it's a ballpoint, and unless you know the model you may not realize which way is up.
Posts: 48 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is currently a SSM postal survey being carried out here in Australia, amidst a great deal of concern that younger members of the electorate will be incapable of participating because they won't know how to post a letter, despite the form and a postpaid and addressed envelope's being provided.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I'm the same with all microwave cooking!

I only ever use it for defrosting- newfangled contraption!

Defrosting is the thing I'm worst at. Setting the heat level and all that -- I'm far more comfortable using it for cooking.

We got our first one when I was in high school. It had a knob you turned, with a red line pointing to the number of minutes you wanted to nuke for. If you wanted it to nuke for 15 seconds, it was me reliable to just set it in the middle and count it out, than to try to hit it just right with the knob.

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed!
I was just Friday night telling Number Two Son and his GF about that one.
The trick where I went to school (in the Antipodes) was that they "threw to miss" so you had to stay completely still or you risked actually getting hit!

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 591 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a Toledo Torch as a cautionary warning where road construction was happening. When I was young, I thought they looked like little bombs!
These are still a thing in Ukraine (just back from touring hols) - though the roads are generally so bad, it's funny to see someone making an effort to light up a particular patch. Somewhere nearby there will be rocks the size of bricks lying around in the middle of a road with no remaining surface, and foot-deep longitudinal ruts in the tarmac on a fast dual-carriageway.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

For which you did research at the library, in books. No Google or Wikipedia back then.

As a language teacher, I was always rummaging through magazines for pictures I could cut out to illustrate various vocabulary words or phrases. Now it's all Google Image.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10185 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:

For which you did research at the library, in books. No Google or Wikipedia back then.
And the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
It had a knob you turned, with a red line pointing to the number of minutes you wanted to nuke for. If you wanted it to nuke for 15 seconds, it was me reliable to just set it in the middle and count it out, than to try to hit it just right with the knob.

Some of us still have microwaves like that - ultra-reliable and simple. Ours (Samsung) dates from about 1991 and we have had it in four different houses.
Posts: 9124 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think Boogie means the reports made by every teacher on a pupil at the end of the school year (in some schools every term).

Yes, these are something that my children didn't have: in fact their secondary school didn't issue reports at all, relying rather on pupils reporting what progress they thought they'd made over the course of the year and the subject teacher either agreeing or noting areas for improvement.

Not a satisfactory thing IMV.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4580 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I think Boogie means the reports made by every teacher on a pupil at the end of the school year (in some schools every term).

Oh, I see. We called them evaluations over here. Reports were a homework assignment on steroids.

--------------------
"We're not in Wonderland anymore, Alice." – Charles Manson

Posts: 10185 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Bumps" (as done to a child on its birthday).

A couple of weeks ago my birthday coincided with one of the children at church, and as is our custom we had Happy Birthday sung at us after the service. I said to her jokingly "at least they didn't give me the bumps!" (I am somewhat aged). She looked at me blankly.

I guess the dreaded 'elf 'n safety strikes again ...

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3093 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

[Confused]
This is another one that may take some explanation for those of us who live elsewhere.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9259 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

[Confused]
This is another one that may take some explanation for those of us who live elsewhere.

Child lies down, friends pick them up by arms and legs, and "bump" their torso into the air once for each year of life, plus usually one more for luck.
De rigueur when I was a child.

Posts: 4662 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016