homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Bullet Journals

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Bullet Journals
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because I waste considerable time on Pinterest, where evrryone does things more beautifully than I do, I've been fascinated by the recent trend of bullet journaling -- an analog, longhand calendar/ diary/notebook system -- and I even started one of my own.

Does anyone else here use a bullet journal? If so, what is your experience? And -- is it an artistic outlet for you, or are you just about the information? ( One of my barriers to starting was my lack of artistic talent...I was very intimidated by photos of other people's beautifully hznd- printed, illustrated joirnals.) Do you use pen or pencil...black- and- white or color- coded?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6331 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been using one since the start of the year. It's been wonderfully helpful. I'm not at all artistic, so for me it's all about the information, though I do use a nice cartridge pen and a nice notebook (both birthday presents from a friend).

My memory isn't great, and one of life's great frustrations for me is suddenly remembering something I need to do, but don't have the time / energy / enough info to do it at the time of remembering it. I try to remember to come back to it later, but always forget, and then remember in a bit of a panic some days later. Bullet journals are brilliant for this - when I remember that I need to write a complicated email that I need lots of info around me for, or that I need to pay the windowcleaner and need the online banking info etc etc, I can make a note in the journal, and I'll remember to come back to it later that day, or defer to the next day.

I thrive on to do lists anyway, and am shamelessly the sort of person who will start a to do list with a couple of things I've already done, so I can cross them off and look more productive than I actually am! [Big Grin]

It's been really useful to have the bullet journal where I can combine things I need to do, and things I've done, on an entry for the same day.

I make a brief entry each day, just of the noteable events, and to do things for that day, which I can tick off, or defer to another day, or another week, month.....

I've also got a couple of grids for the month, which I use to keep track of housework (who needs clean sheets first) and other personal stuff (headaches, did I go to bed on time? Was I woken in the night? etc etc).

And I've a couple of pages of stuff that's interesting to me - books I've read, medication I took for migraines, exercise etc.

This probably sounds very fancy, and like a lot of input, but it's not! In a very small way, the journal has changed my life - I can keep track on migraines, for eg, so rather than getting down and feeling that I've always got a migraine, I can look back and see how many I've actually had, how they've responded to treatment, and whether there was anything leading up to them (stress, spending too long on the internet, all that sort of thing.)

Posts: 774 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last week I started an online Bullet Journal with Evernote, something I want to keep distinct from a blog, Instagram or my handwritten journal/notebook filled with all kinds of quotes, recalled dreams, recipes, reminders, drafts of creative writing, lists of books I want to read, menu planning, diary entries, drafts of letters.

The idea is that this Bullet Journal should be just for lists and reminders, a practical aide-memoire. Not sure yet how much I shall use it.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 498 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only have two weeks of data in mine, but I do find that it keeps me more on track with habit- tracking and staying abreast of E1's and my doctors' appointments and other appointments. I'm trying to figure out a way to add a very general meal planner...we tend to fly by the seat of our pants here, and I want to cut down on spoiled produce and proteins that get lost in the far reaches of the freezer.

I also started color coding items, which is somewhat fussy but does work for me when it comes to prioritizing and sorting tgrough which notes are about what.

For separate collections, I just have a coiple...books I want to read and a "Next Time" list for when we travel...we always see more interesting things than we can visit, hence " next time." As it gets closer to the holidays I also want t to track outgoing and incoming packages.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had never heard of bullet journals until I googled them in response to this thread. Being totally non-artistic I found some of the examples quite overwhelming and overly complicated, but then I don't have to plan for anyone else.

I think if I were using a book that was as beautiful as some I saw that I might be quite intimidated.

Having said that I wonder about adapting the idea and using an A5 ringbinder. That way I could photocopy blanks of some of the pages rather than draw up lots of small calendars. I would think the paper would need to be of good quality so the writing doesn't show through to the other side of the page. It would also mean that different coloured paper could be used for different sections.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10124 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've also been in the position of hearing people mention bullet journals and, when I tried to understand what they were, couldn't quite see how they'd differ from a written daily to-do list. But having now googled some of the images online I have to admit I find them seductively beautiful -- still can't see that in functional terms they're a lot different from a to-do list, except that time and effort seems to have gone into making them look beautiful and incorporate visual images, quotes, etc in some cases -- which I guess might make the user a bit more reflective about what they have done/ are planning to do, that day?

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7360 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just checking back into this thread to report that after posting this yesterday I googled some more images of bullet journals and (combined with the fact that I had to take a trip to the office supply store with my daughter to get some back-to-school stuff, so I was in the Land of Notebooks anyway), I somehow tumbled straight from "Bullet journals seem like kind of an unnecessary idea" to full-on engagement with colour-coded markers and pencils. All the space of a couple of hours.

So it's Bullet Journal: Day Two here for me ... we'll see how this goes.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7360 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Office supply places are very seductive places.

Huia

--------------------

Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aren't they just! I love them, my daughter-in-law loves them and now my 7 year old granddaughter has got the bug. When they were visiting a few weeks ago and we had a girls day out in Glastonbury, said granddaughter asked if there was a stationery shop to visit, whereas her two sisters asked for dragons and fairies!

[ 06. September 2017, 11:49: Message edited by: Doone ]

Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

One convert out of 3 is pretty good odds Doone [Big Grin]

Huia

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

I need to be physically pulled out of office supply stores!

(Sidebar: Now struggling with a wild hare trying to convince me that I need to teach myself Spencerian handwriting, which would totally up my journaling game and serve as an homage to an uncle who had taught himself Spencerian script, who always had beautiful handwriting even when penning the most mindane things. I keep seeing Spencerian copy books online and running my hands longingly over fountain pens at the big-box store.)

I am finding that bullet journaling is making me more accountable for my time. And since I'm designated household secretary anyway, it's come in handy reminding ourselves of notes and commitments...the fact that I work on it every day makes it more trackable than a conventional calendar. And I've found that neuropsychologists are right that handwriting is more conducive to remembering than typing into a computer or
phone. I've tried Evernote, but I like the old analog ways.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
And I've found that neuropsychologists are right that handwriting is more conducive to remembering than typing into a computer or
phone.

I didn't know that, but it makes sense. I sometimes leave my shopping list behind, but remember more of what was on it if I've actually written it.

Huia

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016