homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Is there an app for your soul?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Is there an app for your soul?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a 7 year old cellphone which died one day 6 weeks ago. With this new one, I started relearning a language with a free app called Duolingo. It reminds me every day and sends me little messages of encouragement, playing a little fanfare when my 5 minute lesson is finished.

I got to wondering about a daily offices or devotional app. I have seen bible verse apps and little other tidbit of encouragement apps but nothing that cheers me on, telling me about my 17 day streak, and makes me feel like I am achieving something. Ideally I think such an app would prompt prayer, ask for a wee bit of typing and speaking, and for me at least, a triumphant fanfare. Does anything like this exist?

--------------------
Maybe I should stop to consider that I'm not worthy of an epiphany and just take what life has to offer
(formerly was just "no prophet") \_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11082 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some used to be listed in the Ship's Gadgets For God section. I don't have a smartphone, but I've heard of such apps. You might check some reputable free download sites, like Download.com (part of cnet) and File Hippo. I've seen Muslim apps listed somewhere in there, so there should be some other religious ones.

[ 31. August 2017, 05:16: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?"--Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon"
--"I'm not giving up--and neither should you." --SNL

Posts: 17994 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is an app called "Sacred Space" from Loyola Press. I think it is connected to the website of the same name run by the Jesuits. Daily readings and prayers in a variety of languages.

http://www.sacredspace.ie/daily-prayer pool

sabine

[ 31. August 2017, 13:54: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5847 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of links

There is an Open Prayer Book which basically links to a variety of online daily prayers. Last I checked it did not have Common Worship (The CofE prayer). Those are available through Church House Publishing and include a free version of daily prayer.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20652 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not doing recommendations but there are a number of different sort of prayer apps available not just daily prayer.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20652 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My previous link was not as helpful as I had hoped (I was working on a phone screen in the sunlight).

Here is a link to the Sacred Space app

and here is a link to the Sacred Space regular site in case you want to check it out

sabine

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just for fun, I googled ... ... there is a 'Daily Atheist' app! However, since I can't use one of those new-fangled phones, I shall not be subscribing! [Smile]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 2945 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not having a 'new fangled phone' I checked to see if it's possible to put phone apps on your desktop. I came across 'BlueStacks' so there may be hope for you yet, SusanDoris...

Looking up 'Inspirational App' can yield some interesting results.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34563 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

Chorister and Susan Doris, you can go to the Sacred Space website I mentioned earlier. Takes about 10 minutes to do the readings and prayers each day.

sabine

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

I also know about an sponsored by an Archabbey where I recently was in retreat.

sabibe Honor Your Inner Monk website and app

[Fixed the link. [Smile] ]

[ 03. September 2017, 00:08: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

Well, that last post was a bust. Working on a phone and have only one good eye. Google "Honor Your Inner Monk." There is an app and a website. For some reason my link was not working and when I tried to edit for a correction. ... [Hot and Hormonal]

sabibe

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed using Sacred Space...turned the music off, though.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6331 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016