homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Sept Book Group-The Essex Serpent

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Sept Book Group-The Essex Serpent
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our book for September is The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry.
Radio Times article and interview with the author here, with some background.
I'll put up some questions for discussion on the weekend of 23/24 September.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5222 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read this earlier in the year, looking forward tot he discussion.
Thanks for the article - useful background reading.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 1878 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read it and liked it so I'll join up for discussion.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10254 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read it last year and enjoyed it, so I'm in. I think I try to reread it, and see if any of my opinions have changed.
Posts: 888 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just looked at this in the bookstore and thought it looked interesting! I'll try to get it read in time to join in.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7330 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been meaning to read this for a bit and have uploaded it to my Kindle, so hopefully I will have read it in time to join in

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13472 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only just got my hands on My Brother Michael for last month's discussion, so I'm unlikely to be on time for this discussion, but will be keeping a close eye. The subject definitely looks interesting.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1805 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my many unread ebooks, glad to have an excuse to start reading it.
Posts: 3664 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard Sarah Perry talk at the Derby Book Festival after reading the Essex Serpent for my book club. She was a very interesting speaker - not every author, I'm sure, can speak as well as they write, but she was well worth hearing. Happy to add a few comments if I can still remember the book (actually, I must still have the ebook. Might even re-read it.)
Posts: 384 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is cool - I have already read it, so will be up for discussion.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18468 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started it yesterday, so am looking forward to joining the discussion when I've got it read.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7330 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This book is set in the area around my home. I've started reading it and look forward to the discussion. I love walking the Essex Marshes.

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 113 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016