homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Interesting Words (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Interesting Words
keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

- Posted      Profile for keibat   Email keibat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shame on you, Leaf. Not one exciting word in your entire post. You could at least have suggested that no prophet's flag's geolinguistic perspective was peculier [sic].

Meanwhile, back on the eastern side of another country: conversation about a family with an unusually high offspring count was rendered more concise by noting that the parents must be polyphiloprogeniitive [thankyou, T S Eliot]

--------------------
keibat from the finnish north and the lincs east rim

Posts: 93 | From: Alford, Lincs + Turku, Finland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by keibat:
Shame on you, Leaf. Not one exciting word in your entire post. You could at least have suggested that no prophet's flag's geolinguistic perspective was peculier [sic].

Meanwhile, back on the eastern side of another country: conversation about a family with an unusually high offspring count was rendered more concise by noting that the parents must be polyphiloprogeniitive [thankyou, T S Eliot]

'Peculier' is a fine word, sic or otherwise. Of course it's not the same as it used to be when I was young, but Old Peculier is still one of the finest beers of them all.

The Washington Post, inspired by Kim Jong Haircut's complimentary words to donald trump, has just run an article on lesser known insults, but he scored the bullseye with 'dotard'.

[ 23. September 2017, 01:18: Message edited by: Stercus Tauri ]

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
peely-wally

(used by my Scottish grandmother whenever she saw teenaged me looking what I called soulful)

My wife uses when I am pale and sickening for something (a cold or the like), or just very tired.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by keibat:
The parents must be polyphiloprogeniitive

Or just exhausted.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Meconopsis
Apprentice
# 18146

- Posted      Profile for Meconopsis   Email Meconopsis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scofflaw.
Meconopsis
Apprentice
# 18146

- Posted      Profile for Meconopsis   Email Meconopsis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
trepidatious
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meconopsis

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once while held up in bed I started thinking how diseases often sound like flowers. I imagined going into a florist and ordering a bouquet of Epilepsy, with some Asian Flu, and a stem or two of dislocated spines.

Perhaps it was the fever talking. [Mad]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
diseases often sound like flowers

I miss the disease names of yesteryear, replaced by awfully clinically sounding words now:

dropsy (edema)
the vapors (PMS)
undulant fever (brucellosis)

and so on.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we were children one of my brothers and I were laughing over the words "galloping consumption". Granddad overheard us and gave us a lecture about how serious it was.

Since then, under it's current label of TB, it's made a re-appearance due to overcrowded and damp homes. It's definitely not something to laugh about.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

In the "Para Handy" books by Neil Munro, the crew of the "Vital Spark" try to convince a lazy colleague that he is actually suffering from the deadly "galloping convulvulus".
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
When we were children one of my brothers and I were laughing over the words "galloping consumption". Granddad overheard us and gave us a lecture about how serious it was.

Since then, under it's current label of TB, it's made a re-appearance due to overcrowded and damp homes. It's definitely not something to laugh about.

It was also known as the 'white death'.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dialect vernacular words are great.

In Ulster/Scots we worry about ending up in the 'shuck', if we drive or walk too closely to the grassy, boggy verge at the side of a road.

If you're 'foundered' you're freezing cold.

Being up to your 'oxters' in anything is usually very uncomfortable. I know you find this word in other parts of Britain, too.

And, as a probable mispronunciation of 'beak', you'll be told to 'shut yer bake' (flat vowel please!) if you're talking too much. By the same token, 'gob' becomes 'gub' in Ulster.

And a classic of my father's would have invited you to 'aff ye go and claw mowl roun' yersel'. (Again bearing in mind the flat Ulster vowels.) In other words, why don't you go into the garden, sit in the muck and claw mud around yourself like the lunatic you are?

And my favourite - 'thrawn', as in 'he's a thrawn old bugger'.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another colorfully named disorder is St. Vitus' Dance (Sydenham's Chorea). My mother would tell us kids that we'd come down with it if we couldn't sit still and stop fidgeting.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL...my mother used to threaten me with St. Vitus' Dance too, but I can't remember why...probably for not wearing a coat or for sitting on the cold ground or other thing she found unhealthy.

I take online classes for fun, and the lecture transcripts seem to be generated by voice recognition technology, which often creates unintentionally humorous phrases. In one lecture, the professor kept referring to MOOCs, Massive Open Online Classes. The computer kept transcribing this as "mooks," which every fan of New York based crime dramas knows is slang for " disreputable person." Right now I'm taking a class on Plato, and the transcript rendered "Meno," Socrates 'dialog partner, as "meano," which struck me as funny.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in Belfast, I was the Research Assistant for Ulster Dialects, and I also taught a small class. One day I asked the students what Gaelic words they knew that were in common local use. All the examples they came up with were insults that children used on the playground. They were vague about the exact meaning of these words.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meconopsis
Apprentice
# 18146

weisenheimer & wiseacre (I think they mean the same).
schlemiel

gustava
Apprentice
# 15593

- Posted      Profile for gustava   Email gustava   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
psammomatous
keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

- Posted      Profile for keibat   Email keibat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hula posted:
quote:

In Finland, an immigrant recently died, because over a period of six months no one, from local health centre to regional hospital, realized that he had TB. A chest x-ray would have saved his life. It was only taken in the week he died.

--------------------

Posts: 93 | From: Alford, Lincs + Turku, Finland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

Shipmasters: This is the second time recently I've been shunted up this particular cul de sac:
quote:
We require that you perform one complete performance of "Do The Hokey-Pokey" between all submissions. (Make sure it takes at least 120 seconds).

Use your back button with whatever extremity is not currently "OUT" to return to the previous page. Or use your browser's reload button.

And that's what it's all about.

» Please use your browser's back button to return, unless you got this because of flood control, in which case the back button will just try to screw with you. Sorry about that.

And the only way out, in fact, is to reload the thread in question. Frankly, I don't find this amusing, I find it frustrating.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand your frustration, keibat. This is a problem more suited to the Styx board than Heaven. I hope you can get some help there.

jedijudy
Hoping to be a helpful Heaven Host

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes it is the common words that have a nice sound to them:

oblong,
mangle.

Recalcitrant is another favourite, and something I could never be [Two face]

There is a dialect phrase, much beloved of my maternal grandmother, used to describe a woman of loose morals as being as "leet geen as a posser 'ead." "Leet geen" meaning lightly given. Posser.

The phrase maternal grandmother, paternal grandfather etc. are more satisfying than the grandmother or grandfather alone. I dislike the word nan for grandmother intensely.

Bleb, the word is fantastic; having a bleb is not. (Currently using bleb ointment [Frown] )

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ETA

Why are the other words for bleb: Zit, Pustule etc. also satisfying to say, particularly as an insult?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
... other words for bleb ...

Like plook? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Aye.

That is the exception though when it comes to collective nouns. An infestation of blebs, or zits sounds right, but for that word the alternative collective noun sounds better:

A gathering of plooks.

As they are hard to shift, despite the prescribed gunge, I have a gathering of recalcitrant plooks.

Bye for now, must go and scratch. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Balsam,

So a posser is what I would know as a dolly?

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by M.:
Balsam, (sic)

So a posser is what I would know as a dolly?

M.

Like a short stool on a long handle?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Words starting with fl can never be uninteresting.

Flavour

Flicker

Flounder

But flange, that is a satisfying word, say it again, flange.

Flange mmmm.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

Balaam commented;
quote:
The phrase maternal grandmother, paternal grandfather etc. are more satisfying than the grandmother or grandfather alone.
Swedish at least, and probably all the Scandinavian languages (not, however, Finnish, which is not a Scandinavian language) systematically distinguish between mormor, morfar, (= mother's mother, mother's father) and farmor, farfar, (= father's mother, father's father), and similarly between moster, morbror, (= mother's sister, mother's brother) and faster, farbror, (=father's sister, father's brother).

But agreed, English makes no such distinctions.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Words starting with fl can never be uninteresting.

But flange, that is a satisfying word, say it again, flange.

Flange mmmm.

Thanks to the BBC show "Not the Nine o'clock News" (1980's) flange became the collective noun for baboons.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Balsam,
Yes re dolly/posser (which would make a good name - she's probably the tweenie in a middle class Victorian house).

And thank you so much for pointing out the inherent interest of 'fl' words! I would never have thought of it, but you're quite right!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently reading a book called Horologicon by Mark Forsyth. It's a journey through the hours of the day, exploring words that for one reason or another have fallen out of use.

So far, my favourite has to be:

snollygoster, n. One, especially a politician, who is guided by personal advantage rather than by consistent, respectable principles.

I suspect our American friends might find a use for it ... [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O, thank you, Piglet, for that absolute gem!

Sorry about the capitals, but SNOLLYGOSTER really does deserve them!

[Killing me]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fussbudget. As in Peanuts!

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 544 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
obfuscation

The word, not the action.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eschew!

As in 'eschew obfuscation'....

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

flummoxed

flabbergasted

fleshly

--------------------

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bufflehead - Pepys uses it in his diary to describe the then Lord Mayor of London; Pepys considers that he's a few sandwiches short of a picnic (!) and the word surely deserves to be brought back into use!

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 544 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Pity he wasn't around to use it a few years ago, post-Livingstone but pre-Khan! (Although, admittedly, the "Mayor" of London isn't the "Lord Mayor").

[ 09. October 2017, 14:43: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

No, but 'BoJo the Bufflehead' is surely a most appropriate moniker for our beloved Foreign Secretary (pity he isn't permanently in Foreign Parts......).

IJ

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bojo a bufflehead? He will be discombobulated!

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amanuensis. I was struggling for the right word in a perfectly normal conversation the other day, and it was perfect.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I owe La Vie en Rose an apology - she had already mentioned Horologicon way back near the beginning of page 1, and I didn't notice. Sorry about that, La Vie! [Smile]

I have trouble with:

lascivious, (of a person, manner, or gesture) feeling or revealing an overt and often offensive sexual desire

To me, it should mean being over-zealous when adding cream to one's strawberries, i.e. more related to the sin of gluttony than of lust.

I might be mixing it up with luscious ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Meconopsis
Apprentice
# 18146

scalawag
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my brother and I behaved like SCALLYWAGS, my mother would say we gave her the OOPAZOOTICS.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OOPAZOOTICS is perfect.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Michigan's Native American place names: Meauwataka; Kitchi-Ta-Kipi; Topinabee.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Amanuensis. I was struggling for the right word in a perfectly normal conversation the other day, and it was perfect.

Interestingly, Mr Al Stewart, who got a mention in rebutting Schroedinger's Cat's scurrilous accusations regarding folk music over on the unpopular opinions thread (why by golly those accusations belong), believes himself to be the only person to have
worked the word into a song.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Petrichor, the aroma of rain on hot dry earth.

Both a good sounding word and a delightful definition.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the dim and distant, a couple which I believe are my own invention (in any event they became family standard):

Apachoocha An old fashioned gas holder
Glodda A kick-down motorbike stand

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016