homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » The world ends 9/23--any plans? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The world ends 9/23--any plans?
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Six a.m. on the east coast of the United States. I think it's clear that this is a wash. Next time it happens I'll fish up the link to the blog post I wrote, explaining End Times to the non-believer.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 5820 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn, just when my endtimes apocalyptic cult, the Bloody Summons of September, was doing so well. Now I have to come up with a new date for the predicted Pre-Tribulation Amillennial Rapture. 23/09 shall henceforth be known as yet another Great Disappointment.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 521 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The day isn't over until it's over out in the mud Pacific.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5866 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just done the washing up and some ironing, catching up on some old radio comedy.

Always meet the end of the world in a pair of clean, ironed undies, I'd say.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7275 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked a 10 hour shift today, but my work is fun, so that's a plus. Also, my football team will play in its first Grand Final for a very long time next Saturday if the world doesn't end, so I really hope it doesn't. Mind you I'm strictly a fair-weather supporter, so it will be my brother and his boys who take the end of the world the hardest.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1276 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope it doesn't end before 5pm... my daughter is looking forward to her riding lesson.
Posts: 3954 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any sign of Nibir

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 9446 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes!! Nibir has already annihilated the question mark at the end of your post! [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe there has been a mistake. Maybe it is to happen when it is September 23 on Nibiru. Does anybody know their calendar? Maybe they are on some sort of daylight savings thing where they turn their calendars a month back.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2678 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most disappointing End of the World, ever.

--------------------
So goodnight moon, I want the sun
If it's not here soon, I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say goodnight moon

- A. N. Parsley, D. Mcvinni

Posts: 17100 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, yes! (I didn't get Raptured, BTW - just had to go to the loo, and hit the Post button too quickly [Disappointed] ).

Not only is TEOTW to occur when it is 23rd September on Nibiru , but also when it is 2017 AD/CE on Nibiru as well...

....so, has anyone any idea of the progress of revelation on the shadow planet?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 9446 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Such a letdown. However, I bought farm market tomatoes, and now will get to eat them.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I bought a bottle of Irish WHISKY. Now I'll have to drink it.

Bu**er.

IJ

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, now. He didn't say where it was to be 9/23 when it all ended, did he? Or at what point during the day? It's only 11:00 am here. I reckon there's a whole day still for the end to come.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11685 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O well - it'll take me until this evening.....to....finish....(hic)......the WHISKY....(hic).....

IJ

--------------------

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh.. we were mistaken. All that happens today is The Sign. The actual end is 10/21. So, back to the grind for another month!

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5591 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Well, if it ends before 2 in the afternoon (BST) I won't have to sing Panis angelicus (again) at someone's wedding. S

And I will miss our bishop's retirement farewell bash at 3.30
Well, nobody in our very full cathedral got raptured - but then we are C. of E.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23075 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The piggies raced really well today and the sky didn't fall in. I called it 'piggy sports day'.

What time is the planet colliding? Do I have time to order a nice curry take away?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12737 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's 31 degrees C here at the moment, which is almost unheard of for late September. Something is going on...

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 891 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
It's 31 degrees C here at the moment, which is almost unheard of for late September. Something is going on...

It's actually cooler than that in the Phoenix area -- currently 79F (26C) and not expected to go over 86F (30C) today. Autumn has indeed arrived, and I can hear lots of yard work being done around my neighborhood as people are taking advantage of the first pleasant Saturday in several months.

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9543 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, rats. I have indulged in several (ahem!) doughnuts today with the idea that the calories wouldn't count since the world was ending. [Disappointed]

This was a first for me, and the last. I'm officially sick of doughnuts and I blame whoever messed up the prophecy.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17862 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Always meet the end of the world in a pair of clean, ironed undies, I'd say.

Very important if one is to be caught up to meet the Lord in the air, especially if wearing a skirt.

It's late evening here in the UK and so far I'm still h

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, well - perhaps next time.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 14752 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Wait! Nenya has finished that sentence! What happened!?!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
24th here and Australia has not been obliterated. Bit of a shame really with all the rubbish flying around down here to find we still have to deal with it.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9516 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's nearly 9 p.m. here in eastern Canada, and as far as I know, I've been neither raptured or oblivionated.

So far, so good. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19766 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is a great pity that the Rapture didn't happen yesterday. With all the right wingers flying through the sky Australia's response to the SSM poll would have been a resounding YES! Back to the hustings I suppose.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1276 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's 11:11 p.m. here in Valhalla. All is quiet.

I suppose that, after the excitement of the total eclipse, the End Times were just too much to expect.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2 1/2 hours still to go on Sept 23 here in La La Land, but I'm not waiting up -- New Year's Eve this is not.
Posts: 24429 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
It's 11:11 p.m. here in Valhalla. All is quiet.

No Götterdämmerung?

--------------------
Don't keep calm. Go change the world.

Posts: 9543 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

No. Nor not here neither.

[Disappointed]

I blame Barking Dog and Wrong Trim. The hairdressers of Nibiru clearly took one look, and went off in disgust.

IJ

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a Barking Dog Wetherspoon's pub in, surprisingly enough, Barking, next door to the Spotted Dog.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13597 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have survived yet again. Hallelujah!

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1288 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Do you think the rest of us want to be catapulted into oblivion (or Rapture, depending on one's point of view) just to save you from a hangover???

Can't you just take a couple of Solpadeine™ and a big glass of water before you go to bed like a normal person?

[Devil]

Darn, I hadn't thought of that.
[Biased]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9771 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
**whispers**

Hope you're feeling as bright-eyed and bushy-tailed as can be expected. [Snigger]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19766 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Have the Nibiru Nutters come up yet with any explanation/excuse for its non-Appearance?

[Two face]

Enquiring Minds Need To Know.

IJ

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, we had our 'Rainbow Eucharist' today - LGCT/Inclusive Church Sunday - bumper attendance - and clearly 'the wrath of God was satisfiedd' indeed.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whew, glad we dodged *that*! Now the new TV season can go ahead!

Just saw the premiere of the new "Star Trek: Discovery" series. Wowwwwwwww. It is OMG good. Definitely carved out its own space, but is still deeply connected to the StarTrekverse. Abandon all pre-conceptions, and buckle up!

[Yipee]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18173 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the world has ended but we just think it hasn't.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 452 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

It would hook up with the theory that the world really was created on April 21, 6006BC (or whatever date it was). All those dinosaur bones, geological strata, half-decayed radioactive isotopes, they are just the fictional backstory, inserted into the text. Like Aragorn being the son of Arathorn. Arathorn never really existed; Tolkien just put him in there because Aragorn had to have the pedigree.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Clearly 'the wrath of God was satisfiedd' indeed.

For the Welsh contingent, at least. [Devil]
Posts: 9476 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Late September. April I ask you!

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17005 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and I feel fine.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6106 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does this all mean we will have to face the shops and still do all that Christmas shopping after all? [Razz]

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1288 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eirenist--

quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:
Maybe the world has ended but we just think it hasn't.

Somewhere, I heard the idea that this is constantly happening: world ending and coming back.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18173 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
It would hook up with the theory that the world really was created on April 21, 6006BC (or whatever date it was). All those dinosaur bones, geological strata, half-decayed radioactive isotopes, they are just the fictional backstory, inserted into the text. Like Aragorn being the son of Arathorn. Arathorn never really existed; Tolkien just put him in there because Aragorn had to have the pedigree.

Dorothy Sayers, a novelist and a Catholic, suggested that this might have happened--not that it did happen, but that a case might be made. Sometimes called "Last Thursdayism", among several names.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You've seen the Star Trek transporters? The Starfleet officers step into the tube and vanish, to reappear down on the planet surface. One theory of how that works is that it's really a duplicator. The passengers actually die. They are dissolved into their component atoms, a new body is regenerated down below, and the pattern, up to and including memory and motive, is loaded in.

If this were the case, could Kirk or Spock ever know of it?

A far more thrilling use of this notion is in the novel THE PRESTIGE, by Christopher Priest.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:

Dorothy Sayers, a novelist and a Catholic
Maybe ANGLO- catholic - she was churchwarden of St. Anne's Soho (C of E)

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Dorothy Sayers, a novelist and a Catholic...

But not a Roman Catholic...

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If this were the case, could Kirk or Spock ever know of it?

A far more thrilling use of this notion is in the novel THE PRESTIGE, by Christopher Priest.

I like Think Like a Dinosaur by James Patrick Kelly, which takes the idea to its chilling conclusion.
Posts: 4347 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016