homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Strictly - new judge

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Strictly - new judge
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't see a 2017 Strictly thread yet...
I would be most interested to hear opinions of the new judge in last night's show. I thought she was weak, far too inclined to give a good mark because she enjoyed it. I thought she was supposed to be strict on technique and although it was only the first show, I think she set the wrong tone.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have watched half. She seemed lenient, but then the first week is always a strange one - judges tend to mark either high to encourage or low because they are not very good yet.

I am surprised that she is head judge. I think it would have been better for a more experienced judge. But I will give her a few more weeks yet.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you - it will certainly be interesting to see how she comments and marks in future weeks. I have to say I am not hopeful, but will quickly change my mind if I am wrong! [Smile]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might take a while for her to settle in, we were saying last night how much better as a judge Darcy has become since she first started. Having said that Shirley seemed a bit too much like Darcy and there was no one doing a Len saying 'Good dance but not a Foxtrot' or whatever which I missed.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She has years of ballroom experience and has been a judge on the US version.

She mentioned a lot of the steps done (perhaps to prove her credentials to the audience).

I think she approached the first week very much as a teacher - wanting to encourage in the early states.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought she was a bit too nice, and marked rather high, but as Shroedinger's cat said, the first week is a bit strange. It must be difficult to find the right tone, but I expect she will find a consistent line after a couple of weeks. It maybe a bit soon to judge her performance.
I did like her comments on the footwork, picking out specific steps to commend - even if most of the dance was iffy.

Am I the only one who thought she both looked and sounded a bit like Arlene Phillips did when she was judging? I found it slightly disconcerting.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked her. I was fearing someone very strict, but she's not. I don't know whether she can withstand Bruno's groping, which Len put up with. She's also up for a laugh, which seems essential.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She is a great comp judge and knows her stuff. She is very good on technique. I was very happy when she was chosen. She marks a little high to encourage at the moment, that will change as the series goes on

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like her, she’s not afraid to be herself. She shows emotion when she feels it but is also critical when necessary.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been wondering about what the significance is (if any!) when she puts her glasses on to deliver her verdict. I think that on each of the first two shows she only did it for one couple but on this week's it happened twice.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... so now the season is over, what do you all make of Shirley Ballas?

I thought she was great. I have no idea about dance (musician, not dancer here!), but I like that she’s not afraid to use technical terms, it’s interesting and gives those of us with no clue something to google if we’re so inclined, while those who do know what she is talking about have the satisfaction of proper terminology. I also very much enjoyed her bits on It Takes Two, especially the little bits of dancing she did, those were cracking.

I do feel sad that so much of the press and so many of Twittter’s trolls feel so threatened by a successful, powerful woman who is an expert in her field and is in a position of authority that they have felt the need to treat her appallingly. It would be sad if because of that she decided to leave or the Beeb decided to let her go.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She came across as a more generous marker than I had expected. I liked her, though I'm glad we didn't have a drinking game based on 'take a drink every time Shirley mentions a step'. I think she has carved out her niche as technical expert well.

I do wish she wouldn't keep telling the (usually less good) female contestants how beautiful they look. It felt like a consolation prize. "Well, you can't dance, but at least you look nice!"

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But in the case of the parson's daughter in the mix (Charlotte Hawkins) what else could Shirley B have said? Charlotte looked good and I know from a friend she is a lovely person but she surely can't dance: her poor partner looked like a man trying to move a double wardrobe on his own.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Len usually fell back on 'You came out and gave it a good go' or 'This wasn't your dance'.

(What does 'parson's daughter' mean in this context? Literal, or is it an expression I haven't heard before? I am one, so I want to know!)

I guess I'm just as uncomfortable with 'you were awful but you look gorgeous' as I was with 'you were awful but I was too busy looking at your abs' (which fortunately hasn't figured much this year).

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
She came across as a more generous marker than I had expected.

Which is why, in the final, she was an utter waste of time. Scoring everyone 10 and saying how good each dance was without giving any indication that one couple was better than another gives no indication to the public, who know nothing about the technicalities of dance which was better.

As judged in a final Shirley and Bruno were a waste of time. They should be replaced with judges who will actually judge.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Could have been worse. They could have invited Donny Osmond back as guest judge again...

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Which is why, in the final, she was an utter waste of time. Scoring everyone 10 and saying how good each dance was without giving any indication that one couple was better than another gives no indication to the public, who know nothing about the technicalities of dance which was better.

The judges scores in the final are irrelevant.
Only the public vote counts, and the public will make up their minds according to personal preference and enjoyment. Most (and I include myself) don't notice technical errors or mistakes, unless they are blatant, once the celebs are dancing well enough to make it to the final.
At that point the judges remarks and scores only count if they are in accord with the viewer's opinion

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Gill H
quote:
What does 'parson's daughter' mean in this context? Literal, or is it an expression I haven't heard before? I am one, so I want to know!
"What is says on the tin". She is a child of the parsonage, her father was a priest in the diocese of Chichester.

(I'm a parsonage child too and have never heard the expression "parson's daughter" as referring to anything other than precisely that - a daughter of a clergyman)

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although "parson's nose" is something quite different ... [Devil]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
But in the case of the parson's daughter in the mix (Charlotte Hawkins)

How is being the daughter of a parson at all relevant in the context of the judges comments on her dancing (or looks)?

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
As judged in a final Shirley and Bruno were a waste of time. They should be replaced with judges who will actually judge.

The judges are a waste of time in the final. It’d be better if they didn’t bother with their marks at all, they should just offer comment. Since they don’t count, they might as well just tell everyone they’re lovely and give them a ten.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016