homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Antiques Roadshow

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Antiques Roadshow
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My spouse and I have a side hustle as antique hounds. I'm wondering if other Shipmates share our interest in antique and vintage items.

Items we especially like include antique advertising premiums like thermometers and novelty items, especially Michigania -- iconic state brands like Vernor's, Faygo, defunct auto companies, etc., as well as antique milk bottles from local dairies and souvenirs from places in Michigan; toys; schoolbooks and cast- iron school desks; linens and needlework; " farmtiques"; animal themed covered dishes and a few other glass/ ceramic antiques.

What sparked your interest in antiques? What kinds of things do you look for? What is your best find? What do you think of the current trope that Milennials hate " stuff" and will never pick up the antique bug?

[ 28. September 2017, 21:45: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6356 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got into it because of the family tendency to buy decent stuff and then hang onto it. Most of my things are thus family pieces, with a few others purchased to go with them.

Happily, my daughters seem interested. Several years ago I made up a list of Significant Stuff and gave it to them to indicate what they wanted and what they didn't. They put their initials next to most of it; my niece says she wants most of the rest of it.

I don't think anyone will be handing down the family Ikea sofa, but I could be mistaken.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 14756 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I collect cameras - I have about 80 - ranging from a 1909 Kodak to two modernish digital cameras, but my favourites are my box cameras. I love being able to produce a picture with something that simple.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3549 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine collects antique(ish) cut to clear crystal. I think the cobalt items are especially beautiful, and if I had places to put such things in my little house, I would be mighty tempted to collect (and use!) such beautiful things, too!

My parents had a lot of antique glass and crystal ware handed down in the family. They downsized the end of last year to move into a smaller place, and my sister and Daughter-Unit got a lot of the family things! Again, I don't have a place to put them, so I took very little, but I'm thrilled they're still in the family!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17862 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am the current custodian of the bride chest made for an ancestress c1540. It is not particularly elaborate but is a jolly useful piece of furniture. At some point I'll have to decide which of the children gets it after me ...

Other than that and a few other "family" bits and pieces, I don't really have antiques, just old stuff!

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4720 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds incredible. Here in the Colonies, we feel lucky if we can find any object pre- Civil War. (Although my uncle gave me his collection of Native American arrowheads and other artefacts, gathered during a lifetime of farming. I am considering donating them to our local tribal museum...I will not sell them.)

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I am the current custodian of the bride chest made for an ancestress c1540. It is not particularly elaborate but is a jolly useful piece of furniture. At some point I'll have to decide which of the children gets it after me ...

Other than that and a few other "family" bits and pieces, I don't really have antiques, just old stuff!

I am the current custodian of a blanket box (or possibly a cope chest from a church) that has been in my family for more than 250 years, nearly all in the same county until it came to me from my mother.

Unfortunately I am the last survivor of that side of the family and I have no descendents, so I am at a loss as to what to do with it! Possibly leave it to a museum in the county if they want it.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3121 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The question I have is what to do with the darn things. Our children don't want them and think it all clutter.
Posts: 11181 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ebay.

--------------------
"Stop your noisy songs; I do not want to listen to your praise bands." -- Amos 5:23, Good News Bible (modified)

Posts: 10352 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

My experience as a seller is that some people, even many people, still want quality items. In all those " Kids don't want your stuff" articles, there's never a distinction between real antiques and quality vintage items, and cheap collectibles. No, 20- something's don't want Grandma's Avon bottle collection or your heirloom dining room table, but they may very much want some valuable old item that has a compelling story and can serve as an objet d'art. And...investing in antiques is about playing a long game...I bet the descendants of people who threw out their Art Nouveau Tiffany glass because it was " old- fashioned" in the 20's-60's rue that decision today.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a set of 7 straight razors somehow bought in Solingen on the way out of Germany to Amsterdam-Indonesia-Singapore in 1938 with my grandfather's name on them, in a nice box, inside another box made in Indonesia with his initials beautifully carved into. We've learned what new razors of this quality go for. I do not shave with them, nor brush my balding head with the silver handled monogrammed pair of brushes which match.

Also have a collection of hand blown Dutch and English bottles from the Caribbean from 17th and 18th centuries my father picked up in the 1970s. People in 1666 and 1777 etc drank wine, gin,soda water, beer and chucked the bottles our the windows of the forts. If you know bottles: many squats, 3-part gins blown into moulds, English "convict" wine bottles, English and Dutch beer bottles, long neck bottles for laudanum, soad bottles with glass ball stoppers, ink wells and bottles. I've got about 60. Some individual bottles were priced about 1990.

From the other side of the family we've a commode we turned into a chair, dating to about 1840, a drop-leaf table and a set of three nesting side tables. The drop leaf table compares with some from the same vintage at auction in the UK which is where it is from.

I've also got some documents: German swastika passports of the family, Russian pre-1917 mining and wood mill company stock certificates, some 15th and 16th century Spanish doubloons, some pieces of eight, a pair of Asian elephant tusks, a couple of paintings by early 20th century Austrian painters which are listed on auction sites. My grandfather packed bizarrely when they fled Hong Kong in Jan 1942. I have his pigskin suitcase/trunk.

My kids think we should just sell off the lot. I've suggested that we'd donate. But there's no hurry to do anything.

[ 29. September 2017, 21:19: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

Posts: 11181 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My most recent inheritance is a dining room table built in 1809 by an ancestor who was a Revolutionary War veteran. It has all sorts of dark ring marks on it, reportedly dating from the time the Marquis de Lafayette, on his 1824-1825 grand tour of the United States, came to dinner. (It was evidently a very liquid occasion.)

The table is made of walnut, and has four leaves. I had to have it restored, and when it was done we put all the leaves in, just to see how long it would be. From its leafless 54" circumference, it went to 110". I have no plans to put them all in again.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 14756 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a sword, scabbard in poor condition, with something about "[something] to the Duke of Clarence" on the hilt. As it happens, my ancestors were, presumably gardeners or less, employed in Bushy House (they lived, we think, in the Clock House) which was the home of that Duke of Clarence who became William IV.

Not what you might call provenance.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 460 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016